Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike sponsoring sub-2 hour marathon attempt

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Just a Park Run to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

The pacing is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can’t afford any reduction in pace really. Very close to 2 hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

2.50 per km for the last 37, is just robotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Unfukcinreal running.

• Advertisement

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

jesus how strong is he.

Not a bother on him....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Words fail me.

Next: let’s get Bekele and Kipchoge in the same race...same conditions as this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Unreal to watch. Delighted for him. The work that went into it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Was a joy to watch!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

walshb wrote: »
    Next: let’s get Bekele and Kipchoge in the same race...same conditions as this..

There is only one man that has ever beaten kipchoge in a marathon and he is not Bekele. Fine performance in Berlin but still needs to prove he can do it under pressure (in the marathon of course other distances there is no denying his credentials)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Should have pushed it a bit more, could have gone sub 1:59:D

Seriously glad I watched that. The poor dog was wondering why I was shouting at my phone. Wonderful stuff!!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

As much as I enjoyed it, not quite the Bannister effect. Appeared all too easy...

I wanted him at 1.59:59, and then collapsing, rush of medics, oxygen and off to oispideal to recover....you know, real drama!!!

KSU wrote: »
    There is only one man that has ever beaten kipchoge in a marathon and he is not Bekele. Fine performance in Berlin but still needs to prove he can do it under pressure (in the marathon of course other distances there is no denying his credentials)

I know. But Bekele is 2 seconds off the official WR I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Sub 1:30hr is where it's really at though :P

Fair play to lad, phenomenal.

CPTM wrote: »
    Sub 1:30hr is where it's really at though :P

The elites!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The saddest part of the doping in Athletics and sport in general is that the likes of this morning are tainted by the antics of Salazar, Nike, and all of the dopers involved in the sport.
    Comparing it to walking on the moon is just nonsense.

walshb wrote: »
    I know. But Bekele is 2 seconds off the official WR I think..

Yes but Bekele has DNFed every time he has had to run against top quality talent or had pressure to run a fast time j hope the reports of him changing his approach are true and he becomes a consistent world class marathon performer till then I still have my reservations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Delighted to watch that this morning. I can remember reading articles doubting that sub 2 hours would ever be physically possible, so I don't much care about the help and support, he physically did it in under 2 hours and now we know for certain that it can be done.

The saddest part of the doping in Athletics and sport in general is that the likes of this morning are tainted by the antics of Salazar, Nike, and all of the dopers involved in the sport.
    Comparing it to walking on the moon is just nonsense.

Hate to burst your bubble but doping has been around in sport for over 100 years.

Take it for what it is a great spectacle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

CPTM wrote: »
    So, and I'm not saying this is the case, but hypothetically he could be on a cocktail of performance enhancing drugs or are they doing this with proof he's not on them?
    Did'nt take long for the Begrudgers to start. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

Staring into the phone in a hostel in Seville trying to explain it to an Australian, he didnt really care..I did, savage running.
    Well done Kippa.

28064212 wrote: »
    There are drugs that are only banned "in-competition", so technically yes, he could be on those during this race, but he could use those during his regular training anyway. If he uses any "prohibited at all times" substances, he's running the same risk that he does at any other time

+1 on this people think because it’s not sanctioned race he is exempt from testing. He is not he still has to carry out same testing as all other athletes and his blood passport is updated so he can’t just take a cocktail for this particular race the only test he doesn’t get is one to ratify WR as he did in Berlin last year however given his high profile he may well be tested by WADA anyway as a random test.

Very few athletes fail on in competition testing these days (if you do it’s like failing an iq test) and to best of my knowledge last time it happened was prior to out of competition testing (Ben Johnson’s Olympic win)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

That was an unbelievable watch. He looked so strong throughout and really relaxed. No bother sprinting back down the finish line.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

adrian522 wrote: »
    Bekele wouldn't of ran Berlin if Kipchoge was there.

Of course he would, why wouldn't he?

Because Berlin only has one superstar per year usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

28064212 wrote: »
    There are drugs that are only banned "in-competition", so technically yes, he could be on those during this race, but he could use those during his regular training anyway. If he uses any "prohibited at all times" substances, he's running the same risk that he does at any other time

What drugs are those?

YFlyer wrote: »
    What drugs are those?

Mostly stimulants, full list is available with WADA but one of them was what Johan Blake was done for and a number of others which were found to be contained in an energy drink on sale in the stadium at the Jamaican championships

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

KSU wrote: »
    Mostly stimulants, full list is available with WADA but one of them was what Johan Blake was done for and a number of others which were found to be contained in an energy drink on sale in the stadium at the Jamaican championships

Thanks. Didn't realise that some could be taken out of competition.

Advertisement