Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike sponsoring sub-2 hour marathon attempt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

There's a headline in El Pais, the Spanish paper, which says "Kipchoge ran 42,195 metres, but he didn't run a marathon". Kinda sums it up for me.

Fantastic performance by him but it's not racing, that's for sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It was a long parkrun. Doesn't count for records, was a run with friends in a park, and he can call it a pb if he wants even though it's not officially recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Looking forward to NIKE's next project:

#Breaking100

An attempt to launch the javelin 100m. Runway to be placed on the edge of a mountain cliff.

Give Thomas Rohler an 1980s design javelin and the right conditions and he wouldn't be too far off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

Just got this:

416980.PNG

416981.PNG

that's one way to frame it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think this is the best thing I've read on the attempt at 2 hours.

http://deadspin.com/nikes-two-hour-long-eliud-kipchoge-documentary-was-beau-1794984200

Rightly makes the point that despite all the hype and gimmickry the star of the show was Kipchoge and not the shoes or the clothes or any of the other gimmicks they employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

very strange type face from Nike, they usually use a very specific font and layout...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I just came across this follow up to the Nike attempt on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6FS3D4a_kA

Interesting comments on the use of pacer formations. I particularly appreciate the wind studies that was done on whether or not the car provided a big advantage. I'm not nearly as smart as most runners here and the science goes over my head sometimes but this video did a good job of breaking it all down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Nike Vapor Fly on sale.

http://gonike.me/60108Secs

€200 odd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Djoucer wrote: »
    Nike Vapor Fly on sale.

http://gonike.me/60108Secs

€200 odd

It's telling me they're €250.

"The shoe is a state-of-the-art statement of pure speed. Its ultra-responsive cushioning creates a feeling like you're being pushed towards the finish line. After all, it was built to move running forwards. Including your own running."

That gave me a good laugh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

chickey2 wrote: »
    It's telling me they're €250.

"The shoe is a state-of-the-art statement of pure speed. Its ultra-responsive cushioning creates a feeling like you're being pushed towards the finish line. After all, it was built to move running forwards. Including your own running."

That gave me a good laugh!

Just had a look- €250!!!!! and looks like they are pretty much sold out! Looks like you can only select mens size 6. Looks like the publicity of the sub 2 attempt worked.

The Premier of Nat Geo's documentary- Breaking2 is on Saturday evening at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

sideswipe wrote: »

Is this the same one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ZLG-Fij_4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Kipchoge is a ****ing beast, the guy barely broke sweat till the last few miles :eek: He also comes across as a truly decent human being in that documentary. I get all the asterix's that can be applied but he still ran it in 2:00:25 which is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

sideswipe wrote: »
    Down South wrote: »

Ty for this, just about to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 eoin317

Is there any talk of this being attempted again? Just saw it the other day, very good documentary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure they need to do it again. As far as advertising Nike goes it worked, as does the fact that all current fastest times seem to be set in the same shoes. Whilst not actually breaking 2 hours, it certainly showed it is possible under those conditions with a bit more luck and since then another chunk has been taken off the WR time without the faked conditions and pacemaking. For the runners there is more to be made in just chipping away in races for prize money than relying on just the pockets of Nike to fund a run around a track a couple more times.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 eoin317

They probably don't, I just wanted a season 2 of the documentary if you will.. might try Transcend.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Kipchoge trying again tomorrow in Vienna.

Start time to announced today and it will be between 5AM-9AM CEST start time.

https://www.ineos159challenge.com/news/date-set-for-eliud-kipchoges-sub-2-hour-marathon-attempt-saturday-12th-october/

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

I think he will do it this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Youtube Live stream scheduled for 7AM

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Won't there be an asterisk beside this due to Nike's involvement?

walshb wrote: »
    Won't there be an asterisk beside this due to Nike's involvement?

this attempt is the INEOS 159 challenge- so Nike are not the sponsor.

INEOS started out as a chemical company :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

More information here
    ...the attempt will renew controversies which range from the fact that the cornucopia of measures being taken to help Kipchoge on his way - from his team of elite pacers to how he gets his water bottles - mean that “sub-2” success on Saturday will not be recognised as an official world record, due to the environmental record of its petrochemical giant corporate sponsor.

This grinds my gears no end....

1. The environmental record of the sponsor is utter BS. That should have no bearing on this being a world record or not. How is the passage of time effected by your sponsor.

2. I dont get the upset over the pacers. Every race has them and the lead runners use them too up to 13+ miles.

3. "Special shoes" more BS. Whatever is special about them will be in every running shoe in a few years time. Thats called innovation

4. "being handed water bottles"... jesus give me a break, he still has to drink it and not lose pace.

5. Wind shelter from the pacers... By that logic any record set on a calm day in Berlin is invalid. We all look for wind shelter to help us in our races. Its called intelligent running.

Its sort of like saying - the fastest road production car in the world doesnt get its world record recognised , because:
    1. Michelin gave them special tyres,
    2. Texaco gave them special fuel,
    3. The wind was behind them,
    4. Some engineer with duct tape covered the panels on the car to make it faster
    5. The sponsors were d1cks to the environment

Just stop it already :(

You either have an engine that can do it, or you dont.

Rant over.

Muppet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

8:15cet start so 7:15 irish time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Such a shame Kipchogue is doing this nonsense instead of running in Berlin or the World Champs, what a great race we could have had in Berlin with Kipchogue and Bekele this year.

I genuinely have no interest in this marketing stunt, it has no relevance on the ability of runners to run that time in a proper race and to be honest the advances in the WR since Kimetto are down to nothing more than Nike's dodgy shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Muppet Man wrote: »

You either have an engine that can do it, or you dont.

Rant over.

Muppet Man

Well there's no doubt that INEOS is doing a bit of greenwashing here - it's a fracking company, among other things - but the environmental record has no bearing on why this WR isn't recognised. As long as all the things mentioned above (and they are all time/effort savers) are not permitted in 'real' races, you can't expect an event that permits them to be accorded WR status, whether the 'engine' is there or not.

Ultimately, it's a gimmick - it tests human ability to run 26.2 miles under optimal conditions, but those are conditions that are not normally availabe in 'real' events.

I’m looking forward to it, really hope he does it. Rodger Bannister has pacers....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

adrian522 wrote: »
    Such a shame Kipchogue is doing this nonsense instead of running in Berlin or the World Champs, what a great race we could have had in Berlin with Kipchogue and Bekele this year.

I genuinely have no interest in this marketing stunt, it has no relevance on the ability of runners to run that time in a proper race and to be honest the advances in the WR since Kimetto are down to nothing more than Nike's dodgy shoes.

Bekele wouldn't of ran Berlin if Kipchoge was there.

• Advertisement

Bekele wouldn't of ran Berlin if Kipchoge was there.

Of course he would, why wouldn't he?

Advertisement