Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike sponsoring sub-2 hour marathon attempt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I was listening to the Science of Sport podcast on the sub2 attempt & one of the things mentioned was that it has probably robbed us of ever seeing Bekele & Kipchoge racing on the streets of Berlin.

https://twitter.com/Scienceofsport/status/1182593737400180737

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Muppet Man wrote: »
    2. I dont get the upset over the pacers. Every race has them and the lead runners use them too up to 13+ miles.

The issue with the pacers in that particular event is that they will be rotating in and out of the race. That's specifically not allowed for official world record attempts and that rule goes as far back as Roger Bannister's sub-4-minute mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

So are ye going to watch it folks?

ineos159challenge.com

Not so sure I like the company behind it!! The money going into this though, Jeez, it looks like they have 41 pacers! Did I read that right?

I know if I start I won't be able to pull myself away and I do love the guy himself.

(Once they don't go under 1.59.10 I'll be relatively happy. I want to say I'm within an hour of the marathon record ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

When is it on?

Sorry late tomorrow morning it seems.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Itziger wrote: »
    So are ye going to watch it folks?

ineos159challenge.com

Not so sure I like the company behind it!! The money going into this though, Jeez, it looks like they have 41 pacers! Did I read that right?

I know if I start I won't be able to pull myself away and I do love the guy himself.

(Once they don't go under 1.59.10 I'll be relatively happy. I want to say I'm within an hour of the marathon record ;) )

Don't worry, the marathon WR won't change tomorrow.

• Advertisement

BDI wrote: »
    When is it on?

Tomorrow morning I do believe. Haven't checked the exact time. About 8 Irish I presume, maybe 7, dunno.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Don't worry, the marathon WR won't change tomorrow.

Ah yeah, I'm aware of that and do agree that this can't be seen as a WR. Still though, if they've measured the course correctly.............

Hope they haven't used the Waterford marathon lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Itziger wrote:
    Ah yeah, I'm aware of that and do agree that this can't be seen as a WR. Still though, if they've measured the course correctly.............

Itziger wrote:
    Hope they haven't used the Waterford marathon lads.

Or Belfast...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

This is good, seeing the pace like that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds21U7coQzI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I have many reservations about this event but the biggest of all is that when 2 hours is eventually beaten in a normal race there won't be the razzmatazz accorded that it will deserve. Like the 10 second 100m, 4 minute mile etc the 2 hour mark will be historic...shame that it might not be the first time it will have been run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Technology doping at its finest...

If he is on form, and his body holds up, with favourable conditions...he breaks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

walshb wrote: »
    Technology doping at its finest...

If he is on form, and his body holds up, with favourable conditions...he breaks it.

Fantastic, another thread ruined by nonsensical babbling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

If he took a bottle of water of someone in Berlin that are handed out to all the plebs his world record wouldn't count?

Easy peasy so far!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

If I remember the last attempt it's when he starts smiling then he's feeling the pain! It's killing me that I'll have to leave before the finish to head to parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is there a live stream for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

On target after 18k....all the pacing team switches have been flawless so far

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

59.55 at half way, a few signs of strain starting to creep in hopefully it’s short lived.

Small bit of rain started as well

Nice workout for Kipyanui too 3x5k in 14;30 each!

• Advertisement

I haven't seen him take fluids. Must be when I click on some other tab......

EDIT: Taken some now.

I have a few little doubts.... I'm thinking 2.00.xx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭G1032

Folks
    Will this count as an official world record of they pull it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

G1032 wrote: »
    Folks
    Will this count as an official world record of they pull it off?

No it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭G1032

Itziger wrote: »
    I haven't seen him take fluids. Must be when I click on some other tab......

He's taking on fluid and gels. Gels taped to the bottles he's getting

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Cartman78 wrote: »
    On target after 18k....all the pacing team switches have been flawless so far

When they switched to team 7 he seemed to take a bit of a stumble.

On Eurosport for anyone looking...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

No it won't.

So, and I'm not saying this is the case, but hypothetically he could be on a cocktail of performance enhancing drugs or are they doing this with proof he's not on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭28064212

CPTM wrote: »
    So, and I'm not saying this is the case, but hypothetically he could be on a cocktail of performance enhancing drugs or are they doing this with proof he's not on them?
    There are drugs that are only banned "in-competition", so technically yes, he could be on those during this race, but he could use those during his regular training anyway. If he uses any "prohibited at all times" substances, he's running the same risk that he does at any other time

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

The guy is an animal he looks so relaxed.

• Advertisement

Kipchoge’s running form is beautiful. Upper body movement so fluid..

Advertisement