Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike sponsoring sub-2 hour marathon attempt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

I too think it devalues the WR and that they should leave it alone now.

As someone who was often 24 secs outside a goal time, I could never leave it alone and I don't think they will either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

Chivito550 wrote: »
    One of them DNFing was my insurance bet to more or less cover me. Didn't think one of them would bother trotting in at 2:14. Must have been told that without finishing they weren't getting paid.

The bookies usually get things right, that's what I've learned over time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

neverever1 wrote: »
    The bookies usually get things right, that's what I've learned over time anyway.

Ah you come across bizarre Athletics odds from time to time. Most bookies don't have a dedicated athletics trader.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Ah you come across bizarre Athletics odds from time to time. Most bookies don't have a dedicated athletics trader.

I find they don't do much athletics odds, usually just for major competitions but I suppose you can get some good odds at those.

Looking forward to NIKE's next project:

#Breaking100

An attempt to launch the javelin 100m. Runway to be placed on the edge of a mountain cliff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I saw a lot of values out there today. Sportsmanship, community, cameraderie, willpower, teamwork to name a few. Can't see how that's a bad thing.

I saw a lot of values out there today. Sportsmanship, community, cameraderie, willpower, teamwork to name a few. Can't see how that's a bad thing.

Take away the $$$$$ and all that vanishes sadly. Kipchoge was paid a handsome sum I believe to skip London Marathon to do this, and the pacemakers weren't doing it for the good of their health.

Thing was a bit of fun. Wouldn't get too caught up in it either way. The old WR is still the WR but it does maybe allow athletes to believe they can go quicker than first thought. So instead of targeting a new WR, Kipchoge might look to go sub 2:02 instead, if he runs Berlin.

Chivito550 wrote:
    Take away the $$$$$ and all that vanishes sadly. Kipchoge was paid a handsome sum I believe to skip London Marathon to do this, and the pacemakers weren't doing it for the good of their health.

Heaven forbid a professional athlete actually gets paid to be part of a challenge like this. Imagine getting paid to do what you love? The mind boggles! :P

Heaven forbid a professional athlete actually gets paid to be part of a challenge like this. Imagine getting paid to do what you love? The mind boggles! :P

Never said anything wrong with it. Just giving perspective to the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Yeah, I would rather they 'broke' the 2 hour mark, then just have it as an oddity in the sport - much like Obadele Thompson's wind assisted 9.69s in the 90's.

As it stands, its neither one thing or the other, but may be seen by some as a slightly more realistic effort than going sub 2 hrs. Kipchoge probably needs to break the actual WR to help with some of the confusion.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote:
    Never said anything wrong with it. Just giving perspective to the whole thing.

As am I. These men are elites, not elitists. There's a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

As am I. These men are elites, not elitists. There's a big difference.

No one said otherwise?

It's a marketing stunt, an interesting angle with an incredible athlete.

Everyone can run quicker under the conditions Nike created.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Personally I'd much prefer to have seen Kipchoge go head to head to Bekele in London than running this marketing event but each to their own. Bekele and Kipchogue are 2 of the best log distance runners of all time, hopefully they end up in the same race at some point rather than just running glorified time trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

I think it's an amazing achievement, despite the fact that it can't be recognised as an official WR. Never really thought about it before, but I think the IAAF should consider changing the rules they broke. I mean, athletes getting their own drinks is messing up their rhythm & breaking their stride. Pacers are used to (obviously) set the pace - multiple pacers just allows it to be maintained for longer. They still have to be followed The key point for me is neither of these violations are a performance enhancer, like a PED. You can have the best group of pacers, and have fellas in scooters handing you your drinks, but without having the talent & putting in the work it won't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

Had they TUEs. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

adrian522 wrote: »
    Personally I'd much prefer to have seen Kipchoge go head to head to Bekele in London than running this marketing event but each to their own. Bekele and Kipchogue are 2 of the best log distance runners of all time, hopefully they end up in the same race at some point rather than just running glorified time trials.

Are either Kipchoge or Bekele running Berlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted this online, might be of interest.

24ycwpf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

17.1 seconds per 100metres is ridiculous!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Are either Kipchoge or Bekele running Berlin?

I've no idea. I'd have thought they would both run the world championships in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

adrian522 wrote: »
    I've no idea. I'd have thought they would both run the world championships in London.

They won't. The World Championship Marathon is a poor mans Berlin in the eyes of the top Kenyans and Ethiopians. Even the Olympic marathon is starting to drift that way too. The money and times of the majors is where it's at for most of these guys.

• Advertisement

How many here can run an 800 in 2:17, or in fact a 400 in 68.5. Really hammers home how ridiculous these splits were.
    El Caballo wrote: »
    They won't. The World Championship Marathon is a poor mans Berlin in the eyes of the top Kenyans and Ethiopians. Even the Olympic marathon is starting to drift that way too. The money and times of the majors is where it's at for most of these guys.

The Olympic marathon is very prestigious but I agree regarding the Worlds. The marathon is the only event where the Olympics and Worlds are not of similar standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They still have to be followed The key point for me is neither of these violations are a performance enhancer, like a PED. You can have the best group of pacers, and have fellas in scooters handing you your drinks, but without having the talent & putting in the work it won't make a difference.

Part of being talented is being able to do all this yourself​, you can be a talented runner but make a mess of your pacing and race planning. Why not use a Casio if it had no advantage? To stretch the analogy it's like giving every cyclist on the peleton their own lad on a derney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Part of being talented is being able to do all this yourself​, you can be a talented runner but make a mess of your pacing and race planning. To stretch the analogy it's like giving every cyclist on the peleton their own lad on a derney.

Idk, isn't this the same as froome and Sky do all the time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Race radios, the ruination of many a good stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Brilliant time by a truly brilliant man..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I got up early this morning to watch the most of the attempt. I was somewhat swept up with the hype, my interest was piqued from listening to the likes of the RunnersWorld podcasts and reading various articles about it. There's definitely plenty to be cynical about - I don't think the shoes are really a big deal, and the pseudo-scientific babble and full-on marketing were a bit tough to stomach at times. However, actually watching Kipchoge and friends running the attempt was very compelling - there was no doubt that I was watching an extraordinary effort and performance. I hope it's not attempted again any time soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Anyone know Tadese and Desisa's finish times?

2:06 and 2:14 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Anyone know Tadese and Desisa's finish times?

Zersenay Tadese 2:06:51
    Lelisa Desisa: 2:14:10

Good PB for Tadese, but Desisa looked wrecked early enough. Neither made it through 2 hour pace half-way through. I was surprised that both finished!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Singer wrote: »
    Zersenay Tadese 2:06:51
    Lelisa Desisa: 2:14:10

Good PB for Tadese, but Desisa looked wrecked early enough. Neither made it through 2 hour pace half-way through. I was surprised that both finished!

Yes it was good, his previous PB was 2:10 or something, was it?

Out of curiosity, where did you find those finishing times or were you watching it? I was searching Google for a whole 3minutes before I posted here asking :pac:

Advertisement