Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike sponsoring sub-2 hour marathon attempt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    Yeah but lads you mentioned are the Boards equivalent of Kipchoge & Bekele so they see the benefits......(i’m on a losing battle here so i’ll stop). Like you though I wouldn’t pay the money for them as 1. I couldn’t justify it. 2. divorce papers would follow and 3. Hard work at my level will get me further.

If I was to accumulate my last few birthday/anniversary/valentines/etc gifts I'd pay for them myself. Haha. But I don't see the point right now. Maybe if I was running well but no point putting 275 quid on the feet of a crock of sh*t. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I guess it was a question of talent. Kipchoge has stayed fit and trained consistently for marathons. He's the best we've seen so far at them, but has raced close to his limit/potential.

I don't think Bekele has, or has even ran close to his potential at marathon level, but he's starting to get there now. He's now only 2 second shy of Kipchoge, yet there's still alot of room for improvement with his potential/limit

Kipchoge is 34, has another 3-4 years potentially at the top. Hasn’t come near his peak yet and Bekele will probably be retired when he does.

If I was to accumulate my last few birthday/anniversary/valentines/etc gifts I'd pay for them myself. Haha. But I don't see the point right now. Maybe if I was running well but no point putting 275 quid on the feet of a crock of sh*t. Haha

Jeez your missus is good to you!!

Probably question for another day or another thread, but where will the two hour barrier be broken? There will be big emphasis i’d imagine from the likes of London and Berlin today after Kipchoge’s performance. Can see it falling in a race environment in next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

OOnegative wrote: »
    Kipchoge is 34, has another 3-4 years potentially at the top. Hasn’t come near his peak yet and Bekele will probably be retired when he does.

I don't think there's anything to indicate he can go much quicker. Slightly, of course, but not by any great distance. He's consistent too, but doesn't really have a huge amount of speed either. He's not far off going as quick as he can imo.

Bekele can go alot quicker, and has the natural speed to up it when it counts. Just look at Berlin, and what he still had in the tank by the end. He can go quicker again I'd say, and from further out if he does stay fit to reach his potential. He has pace to burn when on top form, even Mo Farah's kick couldn't live with him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah but lads you mentioned are the Boards equivalent of Kipchoge & Bekele so they see the benefits......(i’m on a losing battle here so i’ll stop). Like you though I wouldn’t pay the money for them as 1. I couldn’t justify it. 2. divorce papers would follow and 3. Hard work at my level will get me further.

The reason I wouldn't wear them is this. My marathon PB is 3:36, from 2016.

LEt's say I ran 3:24 in these, fancy expensive shoes, I have a new PB, but is that a better performance than the 3:26 in 2016, hard to say which is why I wouldn't wear them.

Also I can't constantly bitch and moan about them if I wear them myself :D

I don't think there's anything to indicate he can go much quicker. Slightly, of course, but not by any great distance. He's consistent too, but doesn't really have a huge amount of speed either. He's not far off going as quick as he can imo.

Bekele can go alot quicker, and has the natural speed to up it when it counts. Just look at Berlin, and what he still had in the tank by the end. He can go quicker again I'd say, and from further out if he does stay fit to reach his potential. He has pace to burn when on top form, even Mo Farah's kick couldn't live with him

Age is on Kipchoge’s side, Bekele potentially can go quicker that I won’t argue with but he hasn’t the years left to run competitively that Kipchoge has, who’s far from reaching his peak IMO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You have to remember that a lot of Kenyan's don't really know their exact age, it's not 100% certain that he even is 34. He could be older.

https://twitter.com/adharanand/status/1182942085768499201

adrian522 wrote: »
    You have to remember that a lot of Kenyan's don't really know their exact age, it's not 100% certain that he even is 34. He could be older.

https://twitter.com/adharanand/status/1182942085768499201

He does look older than his stated age alright and is a big issue in East African countries as you say. If yer man Barega from Ethiopia is 19 then so am I!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Bekele was flat out at the end of Berlin as per my video posted earlier

Bekele was actually up with 2k to go so it was actually his finish which cost him the world record

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was literally just texting a mate about the same (he's now buying the runners from today. Marketing at its finest).

I couldn't justify that amount. As I said to him, we're not elites. Save a fortune and put down the bag of chips and you'll gain more.

That being said some of the lads on here have put in some decent times with them (and decent training of course)

They wouldn't last long if they're used for training as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

KSU wrote: »
    Bekele was flat out at the end of Berlin as per my video posted earlier

Bekele was actually up with 2k to go so it was actually his finish which cost him the world record

It was a quick finish relative to how everyone else finishes a marathon. Regardless, I think it shows with injury free consistency and more conditioning, there is vast room for improvement relative to his talent. I honestly believe he'll break the WR with relative ease within the next couple of years, health permitting

YFlyer wrote:
    They wouldn't last long if they're used for training as well.

Sorry I meant they have put in decent race times with them but they've also put in decent training so it's not all down to the runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Any Nike I’ve bought when running fell apart faster than other brands.
    I never really bought specific running shoes though.
    I’d usually go with whatever the better deal ASICS or new balance was going in the shop.
    Seemed to last longer. Never once did I feel faster because of a pair of runners. Unless these runners have motors in them you are being sold a pack of lies I’d reckon.

I bought two pairs though I think that’ll give me twice the gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,151 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sorry I don't want to read 27 pages of the thread, but is there much discussion or doubt over whether this athlete is clean or not?

NIMAN wrote:
    Sorry I don't want to read 27 pages of the thread, but is there much discussion or doubt over whether this athlete is clean or not?

No there isn't. This is one of the few threads lately where doping discussion hasn't completely taken over.

NIMAN wrote: »

When your too lazy to get involved in making lazy accusations 😂

Nope!! If you anything to state otherwise by all means share away.

Absolutely, they check his pee every, well they check his pee and they check his blood every, well they check his blood probably more than all the other sports in the world and if the global doping man is around watching the test when it happens he will throw the book at, well he will ban them for two years probably.

BDI wrote: »
    Absolutely, they check his pee every, well they check his pee and they check his blood every, well they check his blood probably more than all the other sports in the world and if the global doping man is around watching the test when it happens he will throw the book at, well he will ban them for two years probably.

Actually he is subject to WADA random testing as well as an additional Pool of athletes tested independently which has been heavily funded by the WMM so as marathon runners go despite the optics he is probably tested more than most

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks for all the replies.

No bother, you get back to your Ryan Tubridy thread there, something you might have some idea about!!

No bother, you get back to your Ryan Tubridy thread there, something you might have some idea about!!

Well excuse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

On the shoes.....the original Vaporfly was debuted over 2 years ago now. The Nike shoe designers/engineers or whatever title they go by, must be seriously ahead of the curve. I know Hoka have the Carbon X that Jim Walmsley set the 50 Mile WR record in, but they'd still be a relatively smaller scale shoe company in comparison to the bigger players.
    Surely Adidas, New Balance and the rest must be ploughing $$$ into their shoe design to release a competitor. Scullion touched on his frustration with Under Armor design team in the last podcast (and ran London in a pair of blacked out 4%'s if I'm not mistaken). The recent Adidas Sub 2 shoe was just a slightly updated Adios from the reviews I read; nice shoe, but not what was hinted at from Adidas.

I'm sure Nike have patented their design, making it difficult for other companies to follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Torsevt

He's more likely a bit older and may have peaked, hard to say

Unlikely he was really 18 back in 2003, he looks old as well

healy1835 wrote: »
    On the shoes.....the original Vaporfly was debuted over 2 years ago now. The Nike shoe designers/engineers or whatever title they go by, must be seriously ahead of the curve. I know Hoka have the Carbon X that Jim Walmsley set the 50 Mile WR record in, but they'd still be a relatively smaller scale shoe company in comparison to the bigger players.
    Surely Adidas, New Balance and the rest must be ploughing $$$ into their shoe design to release a competitor. Scullion touched on his frustration with Under Armor design team in the last podcast (and ran London in a pair of blacked out 4%'s if I'm not mistaken). The recent Adidas Sub 2 shoe was just a slightly updated Adios from the reviews I read; nice shoe, but not what was hinted at from Adidas.

I believe sketchers and brooks have developed their own soon to be released. Aasics went a different route with their meta shoe seem to be going away from performance and more towards recreational

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I was hoping he would fail even though i used to really admire him:(.Sub 2 was probably going to be broken in 5,10 or 20 years time in a race so why did he do it -if not for the greed of money,it was the greed of fame to have his name there and ultimately take slightly from whoever does it in a race. He knew he would never break it in a race although he might have got under 2:01 at a stretch.Wouldn't be as bad if the pacers didn't relay and come back in fresh and just gradually dropped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

adrian522 wrote: »
    The reason I wouldn't wear them is this. My marathon PB is 3:36, from 2016.

LEt's say I ran 3:24 in these, fancy expensive shoes, I have a new PB, but is that a better performance than the 3:26 in 2016, hard to say which is why I wouldn't wear them.

Also I can't constantly bitch and moan about them if I wear them myself :D

If the shoe is legal, why not wear it? I don’t, because I don’t have a grá for Nike shoes, and I don’t like the price. But if I thought it could shave 2 mins off my PB and qualify me for London, why not? The cost would easily be saved by not paying the tourist premium.

Its up to the sport to regulate equipment. We can of course then exercise our principles if we choose, but as long as it’s not banned, good luck to anyone who wears it.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    If the shoe is legal, why not wear it? I don’t, because I don’t have a grá for Nike shoes, and I don’t like the price. But if I thought it could shave 2 mins off my PB and qualify me for London, why not? The cost would easily be saved by not paying the tourist premium.

Its up to the sport to regulate equipment. We can of course then exercise our principles if we choose, but as long as it’s not banned, good luck to anyone who wears it.

That sounds like pushing the envelope talk

Advertisement