Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike sponsoring sub-2 hour marathon attempt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Will many more athletes break the 2hr mark now seen as they've witnessed it can be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Riva10 wrote: »
    Did'nt take long for the Begrudgers to start. :mad:

Oh give over. There is nothing begrudging about a question about the rules involved. If I was begrudging I would have phrased it completely differently. And for the record, even with all the drugs in the world, sub 2hrs is still phenomenal for a human to achieve. Sorry for the abruptness here but it was a normal question saying as he isn't participating in a real competition. It's like some people want to live in a lovely world where people run these times on fresh fruit and veg and any distraction from that dreamworld makes them angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Esse85 wrote: »
    Will many more athletes break the 2hr mark now seen as they've witnessed it can be done?

Yes.

Thats whats happen previously with every other "milestone".

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Esse85 wrote: »

Only other person close is Bekele and without the exhibition rules we are still close to 2 min off today

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are we ever going to see anyone in any running event just saying "**** it, I'm taking all the drugs and seeing how fast I can go" .outwardly I mean. Up front about it.

Obviously wont be officially sanctioned or wr eligible but as a spectacle I'm sure theres a market for it. Dope the crap out of themselves and see how low they can get times.

• Advertisement

Are we ever going to see anyone in any running event just saying "**** it, I'm taking all the drugs and seeing how fast I can go" .outwardly I mean. Up front about it.

Obviously wont be officially sanctioned or wr eligible but as a spectacle I'm sure theres a market for it. Dope the crap out of themselves and see how low they can get times.

As close as you will see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX-FWSEmh8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BspQP9gJAeU

(no insinuation of drugs I promise :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

KSU wrote: »
    There is only one man that has ever beaten kipchoge in a marathon and he is not Bekele. Fine performance in Berlin but still needs to prove he can do it under pressure (in the marathon of course other distances there is no denying his credentials)

Speaking of.....is Kipsang done? I would have had him and Bekele both having their best days behind them prior to Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If they're up front about it, they won't get into any event. Immediate ban. It would have to be some kind of non-sanctioned event/artificial run (not unlike Kipchoge's), but who'd be interested? They wouldn't get the scientific backing that Kipchoge got, wouldn't get the investment, pacers, the shoes, the dedicated nutrition team and live fueling, etc. I reckon they'd be less likely to run sub 2 hours on a committed doping program. Plenty of runners are already doing it (doping undercover), and they're not achieving those times. Kipchoge's achievement required a very special set of circumstances (not least of all - a very special talent like Kipchoge). It'll be interesting to see what Kipchoge will run his next certifiable marathon in. If he can get close to 2:01:00, it would be a massive achievement and a huge leap forward.

healy1835 wrote: »
    Speaking of.....is Kipsang done? I would have had him and Bekele both having their best days behind them prior to Berlin.

Believe he had plans for Autumn Marathon but must have picked up an injury

Wouldn't be suprised to see him head up Tokyo Field (WMM not Olympics) though hasn't broke 2.06 in coming up on 3 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Only other person close is Bekele and without the exhibition rules we are still close to 2 min off today

Kipchoge is two seconds closer! Surely he will be the one to also do it first in natural circumstances.

• Advertisement

Kipchoge is two seconds closer! Surely he will be the one to also do it first in natural circumstances.

Think both will be well retired before that becomes a legitimate target to be honest. What Kipchoge has done is incredible but in competition settings it is worth remembering that he is currently about 700m behind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Think both will be well retired before that becomes a legitimate target to be honest. What Kipchoge has done is incredible but in competition settings it is worth remembering that he is currently about 700m behind that.

In 60 years time will he be the Bannister or will the first man to do it in a sanctioned event be?

Lazare wrote: »
    In 60 years time will he be the Bannister or will the first man to do it in a sanctioned event be?

I would probably see closer to Paula and the confusion around the world records.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Mad all the headlines Nike were getting last week and now this week it’s back to kicking ass and breaking records.

BDI wrote: »
    Mad all the headlines Nike were getting last week and now this week it’s back to kicking ass and breaking records.

Strictly speaking this was Ineos sponsored event, not Nike.

Nike are a Juggernaut and very little in the sport that doesn't run through them in some shape or form. NOP was a very minor cog in the wheel

No one was taking pop shots at the US team at worlds (outside of NOP) despite the team being bought and paid for by Nike or indeed the roughly 60% of all athletes globally who are sponsored by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Not technological doping, but a technological sidestep - as Ross Tucker puts it - to bring forward something might happen in a couple of decades.

Ineos equating it with walking on the moon is interesting and could be a pointed remark about the technological improvements to achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Bekele will be the first to legitimately break the 2 hour mark I reckon, and set the marathon world record that will stand for a long time

Bekele will be the first to legitimately break the 2 hour mark I reckon, and set the marathon world record that will stand for a long time

Worth nothing the records each of them have.

|Kipchoge|Bekele
    Age|34|37
    Official PB|2.01.39|2.01.41
    Marathons Attempted|14|10
    Marathons Completed|14|7
    Marathons won|13 *|3
    Head to head record|3|0

*Though 2 were Sub 2 attempts both resulted in significant PB's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

|Kipchoge|Bekele
    Age|34|37
    Marathons Completed|14|7
    Marathons won|13 *|3
    Head to head record|3|0

Surely getting yourself a pair of the new Nike’s now.......

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Surely getting yourself a pair of the new Nike’s now.......

Ha never Saucony/Brooks man on principle, always have been. :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

|Kipchoge|Bekele
    Age|34|37
    Marathons Completed|14|7
    Marathons won|13 *|3
    Head to head record|3|0

LOL, are you counting today as a marathon won? It wasn't even a race, he could have walked it and still won.

Also Bekele is the WR holder at 5,000m, 10,000m and has the second fastest marathon of all time along with what, 3 Olympic Gold medals, 5 World championship Golds and several world XC titles .

To me he's the best distance runner of all time .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

adrian522 wrote: »

Yep, and Kipchoge is the best marathon runner of all time.

LOL, are you counting today as a marathon won? It wasn't even a race, he could have walked it and still won.

Also Bekele is the WR holder at 5,000m, 10,000m and has the second fastest marathon of all time along with what, 3 Olympic Gold medals, 5 World championship Golds and several world XC titles .

* The asterix was included to imply that these were included. He didn't lose them either so I felt it skewed the figures by calling them loses.

Both times he performed to top level so would consider them successes rather than wins.

Those stats were put up to to put into context that though Bekele is within 2 seconds time wise ultimately there is little to suggest he is in any way better than Kipchoge at the marathon.

FWIW I am of the opinion that Bekele is greatest distance runner of all time but marathon specific no one is in the same league as Kipchoge. There is only one person who has ever beaten Kipchoge and it took a world record to do so (a time which has since been blown off the map)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Blown off the map due to technological advance though.

I agree that EK is the best maratohner of all time, but only because of his sheer consistency in winning virtually every race he started and being on top of his game for so long.

The improvement in times don't mean a whole lot given the context and gimmicks like today server little to no purpose unfortunately.

Also the reason we didn't see Bekele v Kipchogue this year was because of this marketing stunt, you can't blame Bekele for that. Hopefully they both show up (and are selected) for Tokyo next year.

Blown off the map due to technological advance though.

I agree that EK is the best maratohner of all time, but only because of his sheer consistency in winning virtually every race he started and being on top of his game for so long.

The improvement in times don't mean a whole lot given the context and gimmicks like today server little to no purpose unfortunately.

Also the reason we didn't see Bekele v Kipchogue this year was because of this marketing stunt, you can't blame Bekele for that. Hopefully they both show up (and are selected) for Tokyo next year.

Kipchoge ran faster than Kipsang before the 4% were available (his 2.03.05 from London a year before the Sub2 project) and there is also his 2.04 from Berlin with the insole episode so it's not all down to technology

Regarding the KB v EK I don't think you can blame this attempt for that. Arguably had that event not taken priority for Eliud then it is unlikely Bekele would have been offered top spot Remember he was coming off a DNF here in 2017 and a 6th place in London so not exactly in huge demand as a headline save for the likes of Desisa, Kamworir, Kipchoge, and other top names already committed elsewhere.

Kipchoge ran faster than Kipsang before the 4% were available (his 2.03.05 from London a year before the Sub2 project) and there is also his 2.04 from Berlin with the insole episode so it's not all down to technology

Regarding the KB v EK I don't think you can blame this attempt for that. Arguably had that event not taken priority for Eliud then it is unlikely Bekele would have been offered top spot Remember he was coming off a DNF here in 2017 and a 6th place in London so not exactly in huge demand as a headline save for the likes of Desisa, Kamworir, Kipchoge, and other top names already committed elsewhere.

Fair point. I would say though that the times tumbled from 2.03 or thereabouts due to the shoes not due to anything else really. Kipchogue may have broken the WR, but more likely 2.02.xx. The marathon times have moved forward to the point where you cant compare performances from just a few years ago any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

These guys are professional runners though. I agree today was a stunt, and that it will be a long time before the time is achieved in a proper marathon (unless the rules are radically changed). But you can’t fault a pro for going where the money is. I’m sure he was handsomely rewarded, and judging from the celebrations I’d say everyone was on a big bonus, and I hope Eliud and that incredible pacing team extracted as much out of INEOS as possible.

“There are no human limits” though? Awful slogan, and patently untrue.

Edit: the slogan was actually “No human is limited”. Not as bad. But still bull****!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

|Kipchoge|Bekele
    Age|34|37
    Marathons Completed|14|7
    Marathons won|13 *|3
    Head to head record|3|0

Bekele was injured for a long time. Never the same since. Still, he's running more and more marathons these days and getting back there. He's the better runner of the two imo, by a distance. Only a matter of time until he surpasses Kipchoge on the road too. Easily the best distance runner of all time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Easily the best distance runner of all time

But not the best marathoner of all time though. He has a bit to go on that yet.

Advertisement