Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike sponsoring sub-2 hour marathon attempt

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

OOnegative wrote: »
    Runners aren’t helping Sir Mo anyway!!

Or Rupp. Hasay gone before 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Jaysus, Women's Record gone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Brigid Kosgei unreal in Chicago! This is better than Kipchoge yesterday

Just regarding the shoes,

Worth noting that Emma Bates with a big breakthrough from 2.28 to 2.25 wearing Aasics. This follows on from Sara Halls huge 2.22 from Berlin both wearing the metarride

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Brigid Kosgei unreal in Chicago! This is better than Kipchoge yesterday

Catch yourself on.
    Eliud would be 5k further down the road at 2.14

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rodin wrote: »
    Catch yourself on.
    Eliud would be 5k further down the road at 2.14

You’re probably joking, but I think the poster meant achievement wise..

Kipchoge yesterday was more an accurate and true reflection of what a record is compared to the IAAF interpretation...

No hills, rain, poxy wind, dickheads getting in your way, breaking rhythm to grab drinks, “substandard footwear,” etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭Trampas

I assume all races to count for world records will need to be done bare feet, no drafting ruling and they’ve to carry all water or whatever on themselves so to please everyone.

Trampas wrote: »
    I assume all races to count for world records will need to be done bare feet, no drafting ruling and they’ve to carry all water or whatever on themselves so to please everyone.

Indeed....

No pleasing some.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Trampas wrote: »

Nonsense post. The rules are fairly clear if you bother to read them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

adrian522 wrote: »

Here's a follow-up today from Steve Magness on twitter, which puts the shoes (and the massive jumps in the WR) into historical perspective.
    Talk of shoes, pacing, etc. aren't taking away from Kipchoge's and others accomplishment.

They are explaining why guys who ran 2:03-2:04 a few years ago, now are able to run sub 2. That jump just doesn't happen, even with training or "belief."
    If you don't think shoes, tech, drafting, etc. matter, then drugs have to be thrown in as an explainer.

So I'd rather have it be "the shoes" then it be some new PED...
    To put this another way, the last time you saw such a drop in any era in the marathon was the 1960s with Derek Clayton.

Back then marathoning was just taking hold and you had the beginning of “modern” training.

That begs an explanation of why we are seeing it now.
    Most of the research shows that the lower weight is what mattered most to performance.

A 3.5oz reduction in weight= about 1% improvement in economy.

So from modern shoe era until now you are looking at fractions of improvement.

Separately, what I love about track and xc running is that everyone has the same access to the same equipment. One of the cheapest running shoes you can buy will be a pair of spikes and the same pair can do you over 10k xc or 800m with negligible difference in performance. I don't think I've ever seen people talking about what spikes Cheptegei wore when he won world xc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

he is a bit of grumpy old soul but i like some of his videos, he isnt a fan of this new carob fiber plate and airbag technology

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Sacksian wrote: »
    Separately, what I love about track and xc running is that everyone has the same access to the same equipment. One of the cheapest running shoes you can buy will be a pair of spikes and the same pair can do you over 10k xc or 800m with negligible difference in performance. I don't think I've ever seen people talking about what spikes Cheptegei wore when he won world xc.

There has been a bit of talk about spikes Laura Muir has worn and spikes worn by some women in that ridiculously fast 1500 in Doha

Of course, it doesn't get the same attention in the media as the marathon shoes. But if a shoe benefits one distance, it stands to reason they'll find a way of developing one for another distance.

gypsy79 wrote: »

And Dina Asher Smith is assumed filthy too.

Assumed by who?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    There has been a bit of talk about spikes Laura Muir has worn and spikes worn by some women in that ridiculously fast 1500 in Doha

Of course, it doesn't get the same attention in the media as the marathon shoes. But if a shoe benefits one distance, it stands to reason they'll find a way of developing one for another distance.

I'd forgotten about the Laura Muir 4% spikes!! It seems they've been developing a few versions of those - I should look out a bit more for that.

I think the issue with track spikes is that they will have difficulty selling a very expensive spike in the same volume as with marathon/road shoes - probably not the same sized market for $250 track spikes as you do for $250 marathon shoes!

Ultimately, the marketing of 2hours/Kipchoge/Vaporfly is to sell more shoes for the benefit of Nike - it's not to promote athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Seem to be a bit more lenient with Nike than other brands in the past https://www.puma-catchup.com/the-forbidden-shoe/
    You still can't have more than 6 spikes in a track shoe to this day!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Seem to be a bit more lenient with Nike than other brands in the past https://www.puma-catchup.com/the-forbidden-shoe/
    You still can't have more than 6 spikes in a track shoe to this day!

Don't forget the Spira :p

Funny enough no one is clammering for that 25 min 10k to be ratified.

Excellent video that really shows the insanity and intensity of what Kipchoge did. Camera at the front really shows the pace!

https://youtu.be/pQRY_YzmdEI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

walshb wrote: »
    Excellent video that really shows the insanity and intensity of what Kipchoge did. Camera at the front really shows the

https://youtu.be/pQRY_YzmdEI

I watched that, he is genuinely fecked at the end !

• Advertisement

4Ad wrote: »
    I watched that, he is genuinely fecked at the end !

Yes, retired 800 runner. Folks could be wondering why so fecked, when he has run low 1.40s at 800 “recently.” His HR is an indicator that he genuinely suffered here..

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, retired 800 runner. Folks could be wondering why so fecked, when he has run low 1.40s at 800 “recently.” His HR is an indicator that he genuinely suffered here..

Take Symmonds with a grain of salt. He's out to promote himself and his business to the masses. That's why he pulled that stunt making sub 3 hours a harder deal than it really is for an athlete of his level. He was trying to get the average Joe to relate with him.

According to Symmonds he ran 1:59 for 800m a few weeks ago. Not sure how he could be so f**ked running through 800m in 2:15.

Either he's faking it, he's in terrible shape or he had a stinking hangover.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Take Symmonds with a grain of salt. He's out to promote himself and his business to the masses. That's why he pulled that stunt making sub 3 hours a harder deal than it really is for an athlete of his level. He was trying to get the average Joe to relate with him.

According to Symmonds he ran 1:59 for 800m a few weeks ago. Not sure how he could be so f**ked running through 800m in 2:15.

Either he's faking it, he's in terrible shape or he had a stinking hangover.

To be fair he has spent the last few months training as a 100m runner (think he was trying to break 11) for his most recent marketing stunts. fact that the HR drops after about 100 sec show he is seriously lacking aerobic endurance.

Advertisement