Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Bluetooth speaker-wired-40W-with audio in

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Thought I'd return to say thanks to the OP.
    It's a fine speaker for the price.

Now, had I paid retail, I'd be sending it back.
    But for 30 quid, it holds its own against the excellent (and more compact, and battery powered) Anker A3413, another bargain from earlier this year.

This has more volume and bass, and to my (currently unreliable due to hearing problem) ears, similar sound quality..

Cheers OP

Well folks, at least some of you think that you got a good buy and that's really all that matters. Let's face it....for 30quid, you'd be lucky to get better. Looks good, well built, remote is a plus, Sounds acceptable. Again not for the audiophiles out there, but for the rest of us, I think we did OK. Good that the seller and carriers appear to have made solid efforts to get them to all by Christmas. Anyway, HNY to you all and may there be plenty of 2017 bargains to keep the wallets light.

On a side note, the wife was complaining about a leak in the iron so Im just skating off to Argos to pick her up a 1/2 price Tefal. I'd hate to see her stuck this week. And yes, I know what you're all thinking....."that guy... what a catch!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

dodzy wrote: »
    Well folks, at least some of you think that you got a good buy and that's really all that matters. Let's face it....for 30quid, you'd be lucky to get better. Looks good, well built, remote is a plus, Sounds acceptable. Again not for the audiophiles out there, but for the rest of us, I think we did OK. Good that the seller and carriers appear to have made solid efforts to get them to all by Christmas. Anyway, HNY to you all and may there be plenty of 2017 bargains to keep the wallets light.

On a side note, the wife was complaining about a leak in the iron so Im just skating off to Argos to pick her up a 1/2 price Tefal. I'd hate to see her stuck this week. And yes, I know what you're all thinking....."that guy... what a catch!" :D

I think this speaker plus and Amazon Echo Dot is both cheaper and better than an Amazon Echo. That's really what I was looking for. But when a Sonos Play is 40 euro I'll be all over it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

I'm having a nightmare with parcel motel... mine is on the missing list and trying to get a straight answer out of anyone is impossible... keep getting bounced from one person to the next

I'm having a nightmare with parcel motel... mine is on the missing list and trying to get a straight answer out of anyone is impossible... keep getting bounced from one person to the next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Get the proof of delivery from Vodafone and put in a claim with PM for your 30 quid

Edit: you might even be able to get the pod from the Interlink website, if you have your tracking number..

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »

Get the proof of delivery from Vodafone and put in a claim with PM for your 30 quid

Edit: you might even be able to get the pod from the Interlink website, if you have your tracking number..
    They received it as I got the photo showing the parcel... I even got a message to say it was in the locker but when I opened there was nothing in it

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I use mine in the kitchen. Moving from an iPad station so happier with the sound. The bass is high and the tones are flat, but for background music 100% happy

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lafpat

Just a quick note regarding the sound out of this. I have to agree it is very flat and ordinary. Today though I connected a chromecast audio and set it to full dynamic range and the result is night and day very pleased with it. It sounds fuller and better to my ears anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bilirubin

It's reduced back to £29.99 again :)

for users of amzon echo for music through the speaker - haven't tried yet but will do so.

"sort of" voice controlled equaliser

“Alexa responds to “Alexa, turn [up/down] the [bass/midrange/treble]” or “Alexa, [increase/decrease] the [bass/midrange/treble]”. Also, “woofer” and “tweeter” can be substituted for “bass” and “treble” in either form. In the first form, the article “the” seems to be required by Alexa only when adjusting the midrange! The Echo will then display the current setting of the given EQ band by lighting in white the appropriate percentage of the circle.”

• Advertisement

lafpat wrote: »
    Just a quick note regarding the sound out of this. I have to agree it is very flat and ordinary. Today though I connected a chromecast audio and set it to full dynamic range and the result is night and day very pleased with it. It sounds fuller and better to my ears anyway.

Wonder is there a way to make this happen that does not involve a chromecast audio? If the speaker has the ability to produce a better quality sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

cronos wrote: »
    Wonder is there a way to make this happen that does not involve a chromecast audio? If the speaker has the ability to produce a better quality sound?

Hardwire the device to it instead of using bluetooth

Hardwire the device to it instead of using bluetooth

that's not the issue. the other poster mentioned setting a dynamice range on the chromecast. nothing to do with cable vs bluetooth.

lafpat wrote: »

Full Dynamic range
    Chromecast Audio supports full dynamic range output. This provides premium and professional audio equipment such as HiFi audio systems, AV receivers, and monitor style speakers with the highest quality sound output.
    When connecting your Chromecast Audio to such sound systems using 3.5mm or RCA analog cable (see here for compatible cables), you can enable Chromecast Audio’s Full Dynamic Range option:
    1. Open the Google Home app 9MpaXj2oIHIZU4JiCl6Nos9Ac3VRocyuFxWcvgwnb7FRVsPTcLXGUdvWP8W8LqReE40=w18.
    2. In the upper right corner of the home screen, tap Devices Al8eH5JoAdGV5TOELoXUXnhTSUeI30mPqgBbmpDs8WyRz0X8TzKNw5ecwbOBA5CH8OQ=w18 to see your available Chromecast Audio devices.
    3. In the top right corner of the device you'd like to edit, tap the device card menu 26mhJ5a4GZBN-E_FbnzGdognXTY-R8V0Y0pTylGK8sYOLNRBZzJUXmHJ-Sb2XMWvpg=w18 > Settings.
    4. Look for Full Dynamic Range, and toggle the setting On dZHD4vjvoCxtQg3ir5Z7Jp81vCqOIrVk7VfP.
    Note: Many common speaker systems such as desktop computer speakers, docking speakers, portable and Bluetooth speakers are not built to support such a full dynamic range, causing the volume level to be very loud and sound to be somewhat distorted. Please avoid turning this setting on in those cases.

Must try this myself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

glasso wrote: »
    that's not the issue. the other poster mentioned setting a dynamice range on the chromecast. nothing to do with cable vs bluetooth.

Bluetooth was designed with very narrow bandwidth. Thus, it applies data compression to an audio signal which can impact on quality. So using hardwired could give a better sound.

Has anyone got interference issues when trying to use the speaker to power the Chromecast?

Bluetooth was designed with very narrow bandwidth. Thus, it applies data compression to an audio signal which can impact on quality. So using hardwired could give a better sound.

Has anyone got interference issues when trying to use the speaker to power the Chromecast?

fair enough. but with this speaker a cable connection on its own did not improve the sound, from the echo for example.
    but with this FDR feature on the chromecast audio if it only works on hard-wire then yes it could.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

I installed pulse audio (graphic equaliser) on linux with this hardwired. I then selected headphones preset and it made a big difference, much better sound with plenty of presets to experiment with.
    Just noticed that sound crackles while adjusting volume with mouse scroll wheel, annoying but not a biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lafpat

Yes there is interference while the chromecast is plugged into the speaker but it is considerable reduced when plugged into to A/C socket. Might try to change the cable that came with the chromecast and see will it reduce even more.

I got interference when using the usb outlet on the speaker to power the amazon echo dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 iunited

I got terrible interference when I plugged the kitsound link into the speakers USB port, but it completely disappeared when I plugged the link into the wall!
    I'm very happy now having my two speakers and the two links as a miltiroom set up on my home network using the app.
    The sound also sounds much better this way as opposed to the Bluetooth option.
    I mite try the chromecast audio I have in stock to see if it's any better, but overall I think there great.

• Advertisement

unit 1 wrote: »
    I installed pulse audio (graphic equaliser) on linux with this hardwired. I then selected headphones preset and it made a big difference, much better sound with plenty of presets to experiment with.
    Just noticed that sound crackles while adjusting volume with mouse scroll wheel, annoying but not a biggie.

Any way to do this on windows. It's a once off change is it? Like after the change it will apply to any audio source, EG Echo Dot, Phone etc...

Seems like using a chromecast audio for this is an expensive solution to me. Fine if you happen to have one already though.

Seems like using a chromecast audio for this is an expensive solution to me. Fine if you happen to have one already though.

Ah sure the half of BA has one in a drawer from the 20 quid Currys deal ;)

Any way to do this on windows. It's a once off change is it? Like after the change it will apply to any audio source, EG Echo Dot, Phone etc...

no.
    so someone sending the sound from windows pc/laptop to the speaker would be using an equalizer when alters the nature of sound frequencies at different levels.
    it's not once-off - only applies to what is currently being sent to the speaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Is the whining noise normal for this unit?! Just wondering is is worth sending back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Pacifico wrote: »
    Is the whining noise normal for this unit?! Just wondering is is worth sending back...

Mine makes that noise as well a few others have said the same

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KosaH

My contempo switches off after an hour, when connected via the 3.5mm jack. Anybody else experiencing this? Otherwise, not bad piece of kit for the price.

Advertisement