Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Stoner wrote: »
    Yep if you've a ring chime.

Apartments are ideal for this but most houses in Ireland have a door bell and won't need the additional cost of a chime.

The temptation here is to not try to get the old bell working and just use a chime.

The old fashioned door bell is very fast and even if the ring goes off line it's a perfectly functioning door bell button.

I'm not sure if you can leverage your existing bell with Ring... I'm open to correction here but I didn't. The chime also comes with the ring Pro so there is no additional cost. You can buy additional if you wish. Not sure about offline situation yet to be honest, if I'm offline I've bigger problems than who's at my front door :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

kennM wrote:
    I'm not sure if you can leverage your existing bell with Ring... I'm open to correction here but I didn't. The chime also comes with the ring Pro so there is no additional cost. You can buy additional if you wish. Not sure about offline situation yet to be honest, if I'm offline I've bigger problems than who's at my front door

That's fine I don't have the pro.

Mine was a like for like exchange for the bell push. Rings my old doorbell no problem

Offline or broken the ring unit is a regular bell push too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hey, I'm thinking about getting one of these... mostly to avoid sales people coming to the door but also to manage the doorbell/notification (sleeping baby + doorbell = tears). I've two concerns though.

With the Ring Video Doorbell 2, that has the quick release battery... what's to stop someone slipping the battery out to power it off? Whether that be someone looking to break into your house or just kids mucking about. Also, are these things not a nice target ($200) to swipe off the front of your house?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bacchus wrote:
    With the Ring Video Doorbell 2, that has the quick release battery... what's to stop someone slipping the battery out to power it off? Whether that be someone looking to break into your house or just kids mucking about. Also, are these things not a nice target ($200) to swipe off the front of your house?

There's a special tool for removing the unit.

Also if have an existing doorbell you will need to disconnect you old ringer and complete the circuit to maintain power to the unit .

You can't control if the bell push on a ring doorbell will ring the regular bell or not. It's s standalone doorbell with added functionally.

It would be possible to control ring chimes, I'm not sure if it's an option though, someone else will have to answer that. if it's not an option already I'm sure it will be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

There's a special tool for removing the unit.

Cool, so there is some barrier to simply popping it open and swiping the battery. That's good to know, cheers.
    Also if have an existing doorbell you will need to disconnect you old ringer and complete the circuit to maintain power to the unit .

Is this the case even with the battery? Why do I need to connect the Ring to the power if I've a battery?
    You can't control if the bell push on a ring doorbell will ring the regular bell or not. It's s standalone doorbell with added functionally.

It would be possible to control ring chimes, I'm not sure if it's an option though, someone else will have to answer that. if it's not an option already I'm sure it will be soon.

Ah, that's a tad disappointing. I guess one could just NOT connect up the regular bell to the Ring. Is there a smart bell that pairs with it as an alternative? Is this the "ring chime" you're mentioning?

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote:
    Ah, that's a tad disappointing. I guess one could just NOT connect up the regular bell to the Ring. Is there a smart bell that pairs with it as an alternative? Is this the "ring chime" you're mentioning?

Yes its the ring chime. Some units come with one

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Bacchus wrote: »
    Hey, I'm thinking about getting one of these... mostly to avoid sales people coming to the door but also to manage the doorbell/notification (sleeping baby + doorbell = tears). I've two concerns though.

As mentioned already, special tool to take it off.... it also comes with a guaranteee, they'll basically replace it if its stolen.

You can choose where to plugin chime, you can also configure what the chime tone is and the volume.... you can also choose to disable chime and just notify on phone etc. Gives you a lot of flexibility. Have the Pro myself.... hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Why not keep the current doorbell and get a Ring HD Camera. Wireless and basically does the same thing without the doorbell component.

Simple to install and notifications etc.

In this instance you would be better off with arlo cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi,
    I just had a bad experience with the Vuebell (Its going back - basicly useless to me).
    I got it to connect straight away - no problem, but in the short time i have it installed I have never been sent video. and it won't even answer in audio only.
    So thats being returned.

I am looking for some experienced guys to maybe tell me how reliable is this product - the RING doorbell/video or the Ring Doorbell 2 (is the only differanct that the 2 has 1080 video and the original is 720?

I have installed a wifi extender and the door bell is about 30m from the unit to the front wall of the house - the wifi signal has to pass through the cavity wall and also a block wall it the gate.

What signal strenght should I be truing to get for the unit to send me (Is the 720 better thsn the 1080 for ME?

Any help or a pointer to a FAQ would be great help?

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I have the Ring Doorbell Pro. It doesn’t come without issues but the company is trying to resolve them with firmware updates.

I’m not sure the doorbell would even connect to your router given its 30 metres away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

My second ring pro replacement arrived today after weeks of discussion with them.

Just got package off the neighbour.

Arggghhhhh! A fecking chime pro. Have to say if there was a way to just get money back I’d never use ring agaiin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Have ring pro 2. Dreadful piece of kit. I have an AP that is actually line of sight 10 feet from it and wifi is poor. I used to test wifi in Apple so I know what I am doing. It only will work properly on Ch 6 2.4GHz presently sue to some bug. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

rom wrote: »
    Have ring pro 2. Dreadful piece of kit. I have an AP that is actually line of sight 10 feet from it and wifi is poor. I used to test wifi in Apple so I know what I am doing. It only will work properly on Ch 6 2.4GHz presently sue to some bug. Crazy stuff.

I have the pro 2 as well. Generally don't have any issues like that. Is the bug reported somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Only have had my RVDB2 for a few days now but I don't have any of those issues either. Setup was a breeze and no connection drops to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I have a ring doorbell and I had a few network issues at the start but their support gave me some good advise. The Ring really didn't like the fact that I had 2 wireless access points in the house with the same SSID so I created a virtual access point with a unique SSID on the device nearest the door and only connected the ring to it (this gave me the push to create an Internet of Things VLAN but this is over the top for most, a simple virtual interface with a unique SSID is all that's needed).

The Ring has been working flawless and since it's using 2.4Ghz it pretty much has the whole band to itself as most devices in our house are now using 5Ghz. I have the AP set to channel 6 as through my testing I figured it works much better on 6 so I arranged my network to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

Good advice re the side.
    How near is the extender to the door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

paulbok wrote: »
    Good advice re the side.
    How near is the extender to the door?

Mine is about 8m away in the front room at the TV

My second replacement ring pro finally arrived. Just installed it, dead too!

Either I’m very unlucky and they are shipping dead ones from China, or it doesn’t like something about the setup. First one worked for a couple of months though and it’s now running off a high quality bell transformer. Only think I can think of is possibly the wires can’t carry the current required. Seems very unlikely though.

Appears to be no way to check power is arriving ok apart from with a multimeter and getting the startup lights. Normal reset, unwired long reset etc all tried again and nothing.

Argh. If I could give up on it all together I happily would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Ring Pro requires a power source that supplies a minimum of 16 volts AC at ~15-20 volt-amps. You're not running it off the old 12v doorbell supply by any chance?

TJJP wrote: »
    Ring Pro requires a power source that supplies a minimum of 16 volts AC at ~15-20 volt-amps. You're not running it off the old 12v doorbell supply by any chance?

No, have been through 3 of their transformers and now running off a Schneider 24V one. Suspicious than although power seems fine at bell with multimeter, maybe there is a kink or bend in wire when that’s stopping it getting enough current to bells.

A trawl online last night showed a lot of people with power issues, redoing wiring, moving to plug in transformers etc seems to solve for a few people. Although a lot say that once they get bad power they brick, which might be what’s happening to mine also.

Next plan is to buy a plug in unit, and wire bell to it locally and see if that fires them up. Will prove wiring one way or another.

Very hard to fault find the units as they appear to have no status messages at all, except for setup. No power leds etc etc even internally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I'm looking to buy the Pro and I have an existing doorbell wired. How can I find out if it has enough voltage to power the Pro? The house is built in 1997.
    What is the standard voltage for doorbells in Ireland? 12v or 24v?
    Would the US version of the Pro work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy the Pro and I have an existing doorbell wired. How can I find out if it has enough voltage to power the Pro? The house is built in 1997.
    What is the standard voltage for doorbells in Ireland? 12v or 24v?
    Would the US version of the Pro work here?

I bought mine from Amazon an it comes with a transformer. Use 24VAC for best results.

New terms and conditions introduced yesterday.

New terms and conditions introduced yesterday.

Any link, ones on website say update in October?

I’ve given up on the pro, it appears power issues are a small but widespread problem, been recommended to get the doorbell to resolve. Any kind of interruption in power can lead to doorbell bricking itself and needs replacement.

Apparently the pro is either being redesigned or replaced. Seems to tally with the fact that it’s been reduced to same price as doorbell 2 on their website.

I’m considering waiting on nest hello, since it appears to use same wiring. Or more likely now after major hassle with smart doorbells am considering just sticking a normal doorbell over the wires and adding a smart camera above it to do the same job but independently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I bought mine from Amazon an it comes with a transformer. Use 24VAC for best results.

Yeah I did some digging and the EU version comes with the transformer while the US version comes with the power pro adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Quick question, this isn't about the pro, just the regular ring. I was hoping to put it on a pvc door but the only option in the box is screws. Is there any reason that I couldn't glue it onto the door?

Or maybe something like gorilla or trex tape might be better?

No reason except you wouldn't get it off too handy.

White silicone would stick and seal, possibly easy to cut away afterwards too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Anyone know if signing for parcels works using the video conferencing?

E.g. say a DPD delivery arrives and you are talking to the delivery guy via Ring. The fact that you've seen him deliver the package, is that sufficient? Could I tell him to sign it on my behalf while I watch or something?

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

mrcheez wrote: »
    Anyone know if signing for parcels works using the video conferencing?

E.g. say a DPD delivery arrives and you are talking to the delivery guy via Ring. The fact that you've seen him deliver the package, is that sufficient? Could I tell him to sign it on my behalf while I watch or something?

At this stage I’m on first name terms with my delivery drivers, if I’m not there they will either leave next door or in a secure location. Whichever I instruct. So yes remote delivery is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

sharkman wrote: »
    At this stage I’m on first name terms with my delivery drivers, if I’m not there they will either leave next door or in a secure location. Whichever I instruct. So yes remote delivery is possible.

I'm in Dublin city so we get about 100 different delivery men, particularly from DPD.

So this is more for non-An Post deliveries where I don't know the delivery guy and he wants a signed delivery.

Can he sign for me if I give the go ahead?

Advertisement