Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

kennM wrote: »
    I've worked in IT for 20+ years and personally I welcome these stories because it'll automatically pressure these organisations to address and improve security. I'm sorry but I've seen the internal workings of many organisations and NOBODY is perfect, at all. I've an interest in the security space and just google "Top 10 hacks of 2018", the level of data leakage from organisations is staggering at times......

It's only when regulators get teeth or customers start voting with their feet or legal cases start and C level execs start loosing their jobs that organisations start effectively listening. We're using technology on the cutting edge and organisations are only learning how to deal with and handle data. The fact Ring has been bought by Amazon will drive a lot of improvements around governance etc. in Ring.

Check out this graphic of it https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/worlds-biggest-data-breaches-hacks/ it really makes you realise how poor a lot of companies can be with your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Sorry to go off topic, but does anyone know how to get around the “zip code” when adding a credit card to purchase a protection plan?

I’ve tried both 00000 and my eircode but neither work, I’m using a revolut card if that makes a difference?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

This is an old thread I know, but I felt this information is important enough to post in the thread.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/ring-video-doorbell-security-flaw-hack/
    A security flaw leaves Ring doorbells and cameras vulnerable to spying

When you connect a smart security device to your home network, you assume that it’s helping to keep you safe. Unfortunately, for some owners, it may be exposing them in a different way. Security researchers at Internet of Things security firm Dojo by BullGuard took to the stage at Mobile World Congress to hack an Amazon Ring video doorbell in real time. The successful exploit took advantage of a security vulnerability that could leave audio and video transmissions exposed to third-party attackers.
    If you are a Ring owner, you don’t need to panic too much about the hack. Amazon has been made aware of the issue and has issued an update to its Ring app to address the vulnerability. If you keep your app up to date, you should be protected from this particular attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

This is an old thread I know, but I felt this information is important enough to post in the thread.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/ring-video-doorbell-security-flaw-hack/

This isn't a hack
    The attack is a bit of a complicated one, but it works like this: An attacker gains access to a person’s Wi-Fi network, either by guessing the password, cracking the encryption, or exploiting another smart home device connected to the same network.

Saying that I've mine on a separate Vlan with a few other devices, a Netatmo thermostat and my Zoneminder NVR. I'm seriously considering changing my Ring for a Dbell so I can add it to Zoneminder for facial recognition as I already have an event server and object detection.
    https://medium.com/zmninja/diy-doorbell-face-recognition-with-zoneminder-and-dbell-e15d4cd261c4

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone know if the Pro works with Google home, specifically will it send video from the pro doorbell to a Google home hub?

Tried looking on boards and elsewhere but can't find a clear answer.

Nest is v pricey compared to Ring...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Anyone know if the Pro works with Google home, specifically will it send video from the pro doorbell to a Google home hub?

why don't you get an Arlo for same price as a ring pro. You have 3 wireless cameras. Down side is buying batteries but you get 2-3months out of batteries. Always can buy rechargable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Nope no support on Google Home Hub for the Ring Pro.

john4321 wrote: »
    Nope no support on Google Home Hub for the Ring Pro.

Thanks.

Picked up a Nest hello at 20% off last week in Harvey Norman so €233 odd, was wondering if I should return and go with the cheaper Ring product.

Given our house is all Google home, minis, hubs and hue will pay the extra and stick with the Nest.

Found something online earlier today saying Ring is compatible with Google home but in reality its VERY limited (pretty much useless by the sounds)

Thanks lads.

Thanks.

Picked up a Nest hello at 20% off last week in Harvey Norman so €233 odd, was wondering if I should return and go with the cheaper Ring product.

Given our house is all Google home, minis, hubs and hue will pay the extra and stick with the Nest.

Found something online earlier today saying Ring is compatible with Google home but in reality its VERY limited (pretty much useless by the sounds)

Thanks lads.

Ring was bought by Amazon. There is full support for Amazon home assistant products and no support for Google ones. This will most likely change now that Amazon and Google have kissed and made up.

Ring was bought by Amazon. There is full support for Amazon home assistant products and no support for Google ones. This will most likely change now that Amazon and Google have kissed and made up.

Thanks, yeah I knew about the ownership split but did not realise they had kissed and made up. Anyway will keep the Nest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My Ring 2 doorbell finally gave up the ghost back in March of this year

I got it in December 2017 and its worked fine until March when I had a powercut and the Ring doorbell didn't power back on afterwards,

I tried fully charging the battery again and resetting it didn't resolve but Amazon replaced the entire thing so at least I wasn't out of pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Have the video door bell 2 for almost two years now, but I've never been more delighted to have it as the last couple of weeks with all of the election candidates calling. It is great I haven't had to talk to any of them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I got very good help from Google when setting up my nest hello camera in Dublin.

I'd the first ring camera too. Before Amazon owned them had to get it in the states.

Didn't really have an issue with either but I found that the hello camera is rocket fast. Sometimes the ring was slow to work.

Ring has better doorbell interface imo. But I prefer the hello overall.

That said mine was the oldest model and I've a full 24 V at the hello

Casting to my Android TV is fantastic on the hello.

I think it is much of a muchness between them but I wouldn't let lack of support stop me getting the nest one. They were fantastic with me, they knew it wasn't supported, told me as much but helped me anyway.

I'd an issue with the nest smoke detectors and the cameras during set up that I needed help with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Thanks.

Thanks lads.

Are they still running this offer ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Try to get it on sale in the states.

There's no PSU and it's just 24 Volts.

I got mine in best buy, with a free home mini for a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian017

What doorbell transformer would I need if I haven't a pre-existing wired bell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Brian017 wrote: »

None if you go for the Pro 2

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My Ring doorbell has always had spotty wifi coverage, even though the router is located approx 15 feet away from it in the living room by the front window.

I picked up a Netgear wifi range extender recently and stuck it beside the front door and its working better then ever, response is far better now for activating it etc

Well worth the 15e it cost me :)
    Brian017 wrote: »

As already mentioned, the Pro 2 doesn't need any. Its extremely straight forward to install due to this

Cabaal wrote: »
    My Ring doorbell has always had spotty wifi coverage, even though the router is located approx 15 feet away from it in the living room by the front window.

I initially had the issue where it didn't like the fact that I had 2x APs with the same SSID so after chatting with their techs (they knew about the issue) I created a virtual AP with a different name on the AP nearest the door and connected to that. This was 2 years ago, it's been flawless since

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icanmunch

Does anyone know how to bypass this internal doorbell? Unfortunately it's not labeled (see attached)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

icanmunch wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to bypass this internal doorbell? Unfortunately it's not labeled (see attached)

Looks like a Friedland D230 big ben.

See here:
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Friedland/230.pdf

Can’t say precisely what’s going on with your setup, but it looks like the 8-16V feed from your transformer is coming in on top left and bottom left.

Meanwhile the feed is switched via bell push, going out from top right coming back on bottom left.

For your new Ring, if it’s going to be mains (traffo 8-16V) powered, you need the 8-16V at the front door.

One of the browns top left is constant 8-16V in, the second one is a feed out to the bell push. That sends one phase (+) of 8-16V to the front door. The browns are fine if linked as they are with an appropriate connector.

Linking the two blues should send the second 8-16V phase (-) out to the front door bypassing the Big Ben altogether.

Test all this with a multi meter first though, because as above, it’s hard to say precisely what’s going on with your setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In the market for a smart doorbell but would like to use the live feed over the net feature from time to time without paying any monthly subs. Is there an alternative to Ring who does this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    In the market for a smart doorbell but would like to use the live feed over the net feature from time to time without paying any monthly subs. Is there an alternative to Ring who does this?

You can do that with Ring without a sub (live view). The Ring sub is only for storing the recordings for 30 days.

Arlo and Nest are similar, the subs are for additional features like activity zones

Thanks Davy, will go with Ring so in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

This might be worth a look:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/wi-fi-video-doorbell-by-silvercrest-3262186

Can't find it on a Lidl website but I've seen it in Irish stores in recent days.

Thanks will take a look

Muahahaha wrote:
    Thanks Davy, will go with Ring so in that case

Yes it's a good feature, I remember when it was added big improvement.

It's on the nest hello too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm interested in getting a ring but the problem is my current doorbell is at waist height. Would the ring field of view be okay at that height or am I better off going for a stand alone option higher up?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I'm interested in getting a ring but the problem is my current doorbell is at waist height. Would the ring field of view be okay at that height or am I better off going for a stand alone option higher up?

should be ok, mine is the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Heiser

Looking for CCTV cameras and I came across Ring products. Does anyone know if I can put the subscription to the recording service using phone credit? I need something that will be able to record and store footage, but don't want to pay for it every year.

Also, if I get multiple Ring devices, does the €3 per month cover storage from all devices?

Thanks

Advertisement