Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Cyrus wrote: »
    i wouldnt be without mine (ring pro), it failed and they sent me a replacement during the 18 months ive had it. i find it reliable and quick but you need strong wifi

I can get 3/3 bars on my 2.4G wifi and 2/3 bar on my 5G wifi on my phone at the proposed door bell location. Which would be better in your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

keane2097 wrote: »
    Nearly two years since the thread was started, how are people feeling about these long term?

Is the motion detection and phone notification reliable and quick? I'm tempted by the Ring 2 as I don't have an existing wired doorbell for the pro.

It's great, saved my neck a few times, plus interesting to see who is snooping around.

Major complaint for me is the battery life though, unless my doorbell battery is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

viperlogic wrote: »
    I can get 3/3 bars on my 2.4G wifi and 2/3 bar on my 5G wifi on my phone at the proposed door bell location. Which would be better in your experience?

2.4g, you dont really need the speed more the reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mrcheez wrote: »
    It's great, saved my neck a few times, plus interesting to see who is snooping around.

Major complaint for me is the battery life though, unless my doorbell battery is faulty.

What are you looking at here? I see the Ring 2 has a removable battery pack and you can buy and extra one for around 20 quid so you can just have them rotating if it's a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Nearly two years since the thread was started, how are people feeling about these long term?

Is the motion detection and phone notification reliable and quick? I'm tempted by the Ring 2 as I don't have an existing wired doorbell for the pro.

Have a Ring Pro for certainly the past 6+ months and find it very useful. You can configure the sensitivity, which I've done, to restrict what alerts you get. On maximum sensitivity I was getting alerts for birds/cats walking past the door etc.

I generally have restricted my usage to two mains uses. Answering the door remotely if I'm not at home and works just fine, alerts are pretty quick. I also have a look at recorded motion at unusual times... let's say I know if the milkman has been when I check my phone in the morning before I get out of bed :)

Would recommend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What are you looking at here? I see the Ring 2 has a removable battery pack and you can buy and extra one for around 20 quid so you can just have them rotating if it's a big problem.

I've a Ring 1, don't think the battery is changeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mrcheez wrote: »
    I've a Ring 1, don't think the battery is changeable?

No I think only the Ring 2 has the removable battery.

Installed Ring Pro yesterday, very quick process. Only negative so far is cant disable night mode, front of house is lit from street lights but still night mode (IR) comes on and I believe I actually see less. Plus, its hitting number plates and a wall causing hot spots.

Installed Ring Pro yesterday, very quick process. Only negative so far is cant disable night mode, front of house is lit from street lights but still night mode (IR) comes on and I believe I actually see less. Plus, its hitting number plates and a wall causing hot spots.

Put some black electrical tape over the IR leds and its much better now although not as sleek looking!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Put some black electrical tape over the IR leds and its much better now although not as sleek looking!

Is it not possible to switch off the IR LEDs or night mode?

Most IP cameras like these have an option to turn them off and leave them off. At least that is the case for both my Yi cameras and Logitech Circle ones.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Is it not possible to switch off the IR LEDs or night mode?

Most IP cameras like these have an option to turn them off and leave them off. At least that is the case for both my Yi cameras and Logitech Circle ones.

Unfortunately not. I have submitted a feature request for it.

Feature requests open for...
    - option to disable night mode
    - option to disable IR LED's
    - option to schedule when to chime or not (eg when kids sleeping)

Unfortunately they wouldn't share the Jira/Git/ticket numbers so others could reference it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bd235

Hi, Can I ask did you have to get an electrician to replace the transformer on the fuseboard? I very amateur electrician and dont want to electrocute myself :) thanks a lot

bd235 wrote: »
    Hi, Can I ask did you have to get an electrician to replace the transformer on the fuseboard? I very amateur electrician and dont want to electrocute myself :) thanks a lot

I wouldn't recommend trying to DIY replacement of the transformer on the fuseboard. Personally a friend of mine is an electrician and he did it for me

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

bd235 wrote: »

I did mine myself , very simple . Just disable mains power to board first .

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

spotted this over on the /r/ring subreddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Ring/comments/9shbgs/new_ring_app_updates_coming_soon/

Looks like lots of cool stuff coming in 2019. I was involved the beta for live tiles and the timeline scrubbing and it was pretty cool!

beanian wrote: »
    spotted this over on the /r/ring subreddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Ring/comments/9shbgs/new_ring_app_updates_coming_soon/

Looks like lots of cool stuff coming in 2019. I was involved the beta for live tiles and the timeline scrubbing and it was pretty cool!

Thx dude... just enabled those new features in my app ;) Tiles look good

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

kennM wrote: »
    Thx dude... just enabled those new features in my app ;) Tiles look good

How did you do that ? Beta tester also ?

Cyrus wrote: »
    How did you do that ? Beta tester also ?

I enrolled for the beta testing yes but it seems to be an opt in/opt out programme I believe? i.e. as each project comes along you can do so. Is this option not available in everyones app?

You should see "New Features" at the bottom and you can choose to enable them. They're not enabled by default

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Declan1

I’ve looked through the last few pages but can’t see an answer on this... I’m trying to set up a “protection plan” to enable recording of video. I can’t get past the address input page - every zip code I enter fails to authenticate. Customer service have suggested a few modified/pretend zip codes but nothing is working... Any suggestions? TIA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

Hi have been reading pages and pages of this tread.
    I have no experience of ring but was looking at amazon
    Seams to be 3 options
    Ring 720 £89
    Ring 1080 £179
    And ring pro 229

Huge difference in price.
    I have an existing normal powered bell
    Can someone give me a simple differences and advice on what to buy please
    Also looking at geting a couple of
    Ring Spotlight Cam Wired | HD Security Camera with LED Spotlight, Alarm, Two-Way Talk, UK Plug (Black) @199 each
    Please help

jem wrote: »
    Hi have been reading pages and pages of this tread.
    I have no experience of ring but was looking at amazon
    Seams to be 3 options
    Ring 720 £89
    Ring 1080 £179
    And ring pro 229

Huge difference in price.
    I have an existing normal powered bell
    Can someone give me a simple differences and advice on what to buy please
    Also looking at geting a couple of
    Ring Spotlight Cam Wired | HD Security Camera with LED Spotlight, Alarm, Two-Way Talk, UK Plug (Black) @199 each
    Please help

Personally I have a Ring Pro for the past year and a half or so and find it great. Ring Pro was on offer during Black Friday sales week for £150. Ring Pro is wired no hassle with batteries, it's also a bit smaller.... still bigger than a traditional bell. I can't really compare Ring Pro against other versions as I haven't had either. A number of neighbours have seen and I've shown them the Pro and they've also purchased and installed. My neighbor also got the Ring Spotlight Cam wired in his back garden and speaks highly of it.

We have frequently spoken to delivery drivers etc remotely when they've rang the bell regarding dropping packages off also. Some great integration possibilities with the likes of IFTTT and Stringify to other smart home devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭boosabum

Have seen people say the unit heats as it's designed for American voltage, has anyone seen this or is it a myth.
    This is the one thing putting me of getting one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

boosabum wrote: »
    Have seen people say the unit heats as it's designed for American voltage, has anyone seen this or is it a myth.

I can't see how that could be - the unit works with voltages between 16 and 24V AC. That doesn't change between here and the US.

Edit: just to be clear, the unit does not work at mains voltage so it's not a case of 110V vs 230V.

boosabum wrote: »
    ethernet wrote: »
    I can't see how that could be - the unit works with voltages between 16 and 24V AC. That doesn't change between here and the US.

Edit: just to be clear, the unit does not work at mains voltage so it's not a case of 110V vs 230V.

As ethernet mentioned... there is a transformer that goes into your fuse board that converts to the right voltage and that's what powers the unit itself.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000148786-Ring-Video-Doorbell-Pro-European-Version

I have a Ring Pro for about a year or two and not a single issue. 100% recommend and a few of my neighbors loved it and a few of them have installed also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is it advisable to get a spark install this or could it be done with a modicum of knowledge and a lot of luck?

Got a deal from Curry's UK which included the chime and echo spot for £149

Is it advisable to get a spark install this or could it be done with a modicum of knowledge and a lot of luck?

Got a deal from Curry's UK which included the chime and echo spot for £149

Personally I got a sparks to do it, mate of mine. I'd have some basic electrical knowledge but personally wouldn't go near fuse board stuff. Depends on your level of comfort ultimately.... too much to risk for the sake of a once off couple of quid

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »

I've worked in IT for 20+ years and personally I welcome these stories because it'll automatically pressure these organisations to address and improve security. I'm sorry but I've seen the internal workings of many organisations and NOBODY is perfect, at all. I've an interest in the security space and just google "Top 10 hacks of 2018", the level of data leakage from organisations is staggering at times......

It's only when regulators get teeth or customers start voting with their feet or legal cases start and C level execs start loosing their jobs that organisations start effectively listening. We're using technology on the cutting edge and organisations are only learning how to deal with and handle data. The fact Ring has been bought by Amazon will drive a lot of improvements around governance etc. in Ring.

Advertisement