Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

LG1234 wrote:
    I'm hoping a firmware update will fix some of the issues but I won't hold my breath

Do you think it's worth its own thread , your post is good enough for an opener?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Ok, got my chime and ring doorbell today, not all that impressed so far.

The doorbell needed a hard reset before it would connect to my wifi. Then I had issues with the chime, it worked but I could not change the ring tone. After chatting to support and doing a hard reset on the chime I could not add the device to my network again so they advised it was best to return it. I'm finding the audio in the motion recordings very choppy, I'm gonna give it a few days but I'm already considering returning it to Amazon for a refund.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Ok, got my chime and ring doorbell today, not all that impressed so far.

The doorbell needed a hard reset before it would connect to my wifi. Then I had issues with the chime, it worked but I could not change the ring tone. After chatting to support and doing a hard reset on the chime I could not add the device to my network again so they advised it was best to return it. I'm finding the audio in the motion recordings very choppy, I'm gonna give it a few days but I'm already considering returning it to Amazon for a refund.

I had problems initially , but when its running stable its fine . What firmware is it running ? Support sent me a Ring Pro V2 as mine was so unstable .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I've just dropped them off a mail. My motion detection is pretty bad and the video is pretty choppy despite the router being eight feet away. I'm kinda sorry I didn't go for the pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

I'm interested in getting the Pro but it doesn't seem that it's 'ready' yet, Is that still accurate?

Everything I read mentions the delay in the phone push messages and motion detection recording - As the core feature of this product it seems that waiting any longer than about 3 seconds for the notification or recording is no use and it seems that greater than that time is the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    I'm interested in getting the Pro but it doesn't seem that it's 'ready' yet, Is that still accurate?

Everything I read mentions the delay in the phone push messages and motion detection recording - As the core feature of this product it seems that waiting any longer than about 3 seconds for the notification or recording is no use and it seems that greater than that time is the norm.

mine seems to work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

What is the lag from button press to pop-up on your phone?

Anyone who bought a Ring wedge kit, did you buy direct from Ring.com or elsewhere. Want to pick one up but they're looking for a tenner for shipping. Want to see if I can get it cheaper elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone who bought a Ring wedge kit, did you buy direct from Ring.com or elsewhere. Want to pick one up but they're looking for a tenner for shipping. Want to see if I can get it cheaper elsewhere

I got onto customer services and said I wasnt happy with the quality of the video when the sun was shining into my garden and to avoid me returning the unit could they send me the wedge kit.
    They sent it to me via courier free of charge.

I have to say their customer service is exceptional, my Dad has a Ring doorbell (first gen) and was having battery issues and shipped him a new one with minimal fuss 18 months after he purchased it.

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    What is the lag from button press to pop-up on your phone?
    for me it is always under 2 seconds. Never had any issues in this regard. I'm using the Ring Pro on 5Ghz wifi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I've mine setup using Ifttt to flicker my Hue lights when there is motion but there is about 30-60 second lag. Is there a better alternative?

beanian wrote: »
    I got onto customer services and said I wasn't happy with the quality of the video when the sun was shining into my garden and to avoid me returning the unit could they send me the wedge kit.
    They sent it to me via courier free of charge.

I have to say their customer service is exceptional, my Dad has a Ring doorbell (first gen) and was having battery issues and shipped him a new one with minimal fuss 18 months after he purchased it.

Tried them, they said no & that they'd no coupons to offset the cost of delivery either.

I've mine setup using Ifttt to flicker my Hue lights when there is motion but there is about 30-60 second lag. Is there a better alternative?

Yes try stingify, seems to have much less lag. I use Home Assistant which has a Ring component that is pretty much instant. I have an automation so that when the Take Away delivery guy presses the doorbell the TV will pause whatever we are watching :D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

Anyone know where to get the Ring Pro in Ireland - Amazon.co.uk are not shipping this item here and Currys don't seem to stock the Pro? Thanks...

rochestown wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get the Ring Pro in Ireland - Amazon.co.uk are not shipping this item here and Currys don't seem to stock the Pro? Thanks...

Parcel wizard or parcel motel from amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Can anyone recommend an electrician with experience in fitting these? Our house only has a wireless bell at the front, so want to get a wired connection put in so that I can get one of these. Any recommendations for an electrician would be welcome .

Cyrus wrote: »

Need to get an Irish supplier or an UK supplier that can take an Irish vat number - its for a business -  thnaks though..

Need to get an Irish supplier or an UK supplier that can take an Irish vat number - its for a business - ?thnaks though..

but you can buy it from amazon uk

Need to get an Irish supplier or an UK supplier that can take an Irish vat number - its for a business - ?thnaks though..

but you can buy it from amazon uk
    Correct but if it is sent through Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizard through the North you are given a UK vat receipt not and Irish one...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Met this crowd at the ideal home show in the RDS

http://secureyourhome.ie/shop/alarm-and-peripherals/ring-video-doorbell/

Have no link to him and did not buy from him as he was too expensive for me considering the Amazon price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Anyone recommend an electrician to install the Ring Doorbell Pro? My doorbell is wired but battery powered. It can use electrical power also but I need to get it set up. It's located directly below my fuse box.

How much would it cost to get an electrician to install it?

Photo attached.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

How much would it cost to get an electrician to install it?

Shouldn't be expensive, you'd need an MCB and Bell transformer fitted but it's all local and there appears to be space on the board.

It is a job for a REC though as it's working on the board

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Deliberator

Have any of you with the Pro unit, experienced problems with the set-up? Mine worked first time for a few hours then went 'offline'. I removed it from the app and tried to set it up again, and it has never worked since. During 'setup mode' it does not broadcast a wifi network, "Ring-XXXXX", so I am unable to progress...

Ring Support were very friendly and helpful, but just not effective, so far. They sent out a replacement and that one didn't even power up. Then a third one and that didn't power up either. The original one does power up and goes through the motions - spinning white light, says 'Entering Setup mode', but no wifi is broadcast. A hard reset has been tried multiple times, without any luck.

I am about to give up and look for refund, but would rather have a working video doorbell! I am no expert, but I do have other kit set up and successfully using wifi in the house - laptops, phones, tablets, Chromecasts, Nest thermostat, HP printer...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have any of you with the Pro unit, experienced problems with the set-up? Mine worked first time for a few hours then went 'offline'. I removed it from the app and tried to set it up again, and it has never worked since. During 'setup mode' it does not broadcast a wifi network, "Ring-XXXXX", so I am unable to progress...

Ring Support were very friendly and helpful, but just not effective, so far. They sent out a replacement and that one didn't even power up. Then a third one and that didn't power up either. The original one does power up and goes through the motions - spinning white light, says 'Entering Setup mode', but no wifi is broadcast. A hard reset has been tried multiple times, without any luck.

I am about to give up and look for refund, but would rather have a working video doorbell! I am no expert, but I do have other kit set up and successfully using wifi in the house - laptops, phones, tablets, Chromecasts, Nest thermostat, HP printer...

I would be looking at your power supply firstly if 3 devices were affected.

Davy wrote: »
    I would be looking at your power supply firstly if 3 devices were affected.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Ring had suggested this alright, but I am using the supplied transformer, and I am getting 30v AC. I switched out the Ring transformer for the one that came in the 2nd replacement unit, and this made no difference.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Ring had suggested this alright, but I am using the supplied transformer, and I am getting 30v AC. I switched out the Ring transformer for the one that came in the 2nd replacement unit, and this made no difference.

Have I just been unlucky with the two replacements not powering up at all? Do they suffer from poor quality control?

Has anyone experienced the issue of not seeing the WiFi being broadcast by the doorbell?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Have I just been unlucky with the two replacements not powering up at all? Do they suffer from poor quality control?

Has anyone experienced the issue of not seeing the WiFi being broadcast by the doorbell?

I got a pro about a year ago -- all went fine for months then it developed a couple of problems. It was stuck in night-vision and had intermittent voltage issues.

I went through a fair amount of fault finding / resetting with Ring but all to no avail so they sent me a new unit.

The replacement set-up worked first time (and I replaced the transformer also) but then it lost connection. When trying to re-connect it I had difficulty finding the internal "Ring-xxxx" network. It would connect sometimes and then disconnect. Eventually, it just wouldn't broadcast a usable Ring network to set it up again.

They sent me another. Which is working OK. Still doesn't have great wifi connectivity (it's only showing as "good" even though there's a repeater on the other side of the door). But it's working so I'm happy enough.

atgate wrote: »
    I got a pro about a year ago -- all went fine for months then it developed a couple of problems. It was stuck in night-vision and had intermittent voltage issues.

I went through a fair amount of fault finding / resetting with Ring but all to no avail so they sent me a new unit.

The replacement set-up worked first time (and I replaced the transformer also) but then it lost connection. When trying to re-connect it I had difficulty finding the internal "Ring-xxxx" network. It would connect sometimes and then disconnect. Eventually, it just wouldn't broadcast a usable Ring network to set it up again.

They sent me another. Which is working OK. Still doesn't have great wifi connectivity (it's only showing as "good" even though there's a repeater on the other side of the door). But it's working so I'm happy enough.

Thanks, it's good to know that I am not the only one to have these issues. I'm going to have to get onto support again. I'm sitting with three of the units and they have not supplied me with any means to return any of them. I'm going to try and get it escalated, and hopefully get better support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 bopter

I just got my Ring Pro today but don't have an installer.

Did you install it yourself with the step up charger and all that jazz, or should I get an electrician?

Advertisement