Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin city so we get about 100 different delivery men, particularly from DPD.

So this is more for non-An Post deliveries where I don't know the delivery guy and he wants a signed delivery.

Can he sign for me if I give the go ahead?

Problem will be that the delivery driver will have no record of you saying sign for it, so you could deny that you authorised them and claim non deliver later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Del2005 wrote: »
    Problem will be that the delivery driver will have no record of you saying sign for it, so you could deny that you authorised them and claim non deliver later.

How do you mean?

I will have told him, "write my name" over the video conference, so he will have heard me instructing him to do it and I will see him do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

How do you mean?

I will have told him, "write my name" over the video conference, so he will have heard me instructing him to do it and I will see him do it.

Unless he records you saying that, he has no proof. Easier for a company to just to refuse delivery without someone there to sign than create a process to allow them take remote verification and recording of such verification.

That's not to say an individual driver won't do it, but I wouldn't expect companies to create policies around such.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Anyone know if signing for parcels works using the video conferencing?

E.g. say a DPD delivery arrives and you are talking to the delivery guy via Ring. The fact that you've seen him deliver the package, is that sufficient? Could I tell him to sign it on my behalf while I watch or something?

If he/she signs for it, where do they leave the parcel in this situation>?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Davy wrote: »
    If he/she signs for it, where do they leave the parcel in this situation>?

In the receptical where I usually get my An Post packages left, and in full view of the Ring cctv :)

So no one here has ever had a Parcel Wizard/DPD delivery using the Ring yet? Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 pmcdaidie

Hi, I bought the Ring Pro in the US before it was available in Ireland and am only getting around to fitting it now. My current Bell transformer will not supply 1amp at 16V so I need to buy a new transformer. I'm finding it very difficult to source this. Has anyone purchased a 220V - 16VAC 1amp transformer in Ireland for the Ring Pro? If so can you tell me where you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

So no one here has ever had a Parcel Wizard/DPD delivery using the Ring yet? Interesting.

We've had a few deliveries using the Ring. Just asked for them to be left behind the flowerpot. Don't know if they would ordinarily have been signed for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

pmcdaidie wrote: »
    Hi, I bought the Ring Pro in the US before it was available in Ireland and am only getting around to fitting it now. My current Bell transformer will not supply 1amp at 16V so I need to buy a new transformer. I'm finding it very difficult to source this. Has anyone purchased a 220V - 16VAC 1amp transformer in Ireland for the Ring Pro? If so can you tell me where you bought it?

I got mine in the US too.
    Picked up this to test it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dantech-single-output-internal-terminal/dp/B01LZYMYJ1/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1517404950&sr=8-7&keywords=230v+24v+transformer (obviously not a replacement transformer where the doorbell unit usually goes in the distribution board)

Any decent electrician will source an appropriate replacement transformer if you want to swap out the one you have for your current doorbell (plus they need to fit it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pmcdaidie

Thanks, I've an electrician looking for one, but no luck yet.  Another site suggested this transformer on the 12Volt setting from screwfix, but It only supplies 8VA so that would be .66amps at 12volts. Do you think this would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Thanks, I've an electrician looking for one, but no luck yet.  Another site suggested this transformer on the 12Volt setting from screwfix, but It only supplies 8VA so that would be .66amps at 12volts. Do you think this would work?
    From what I recall, I don't think 12V is enough.
    Something like this should do. As you'll see in the comments on it, a user has it working with the Pro too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The issue is the voltage

If you only have 12V then it's incorrect if you need 24V, buying it fit from screwfix won't change that.

If it wants 1 amp at 16 volts to provide 16VA then dropping to 12V could damage the unit as too much current is needed to give you 16VA

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Look at Transformer no 7720704

It has 16VA on the secondary it's showing 2x12 Vac with an option to connect it to get 24Vac on the secondary

So on this Transformer

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/din-rail-panel-mount-transformers/7720704/

Download the technical sheet PDF
    Look at Transformer no 7720704

See the 24V at 16 VA
    Let the electrician approve it.

It is 25 pounds but it should help to locate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

1 year later my pro appears to have given up the ghost, the ring is plain white bar one flashing section at 11 o clock,

the support guy suggested disconnecting at the mains but then emailed later to say i need i new unit and he would arrange that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Ring Pro Video Doorbell Kit with Chime 749/6071
    Save Over €52.00 now €237.79
    was €289.99
    http://www.argos.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Cyrus wrote: »
    1 year later my pro appears to have given up the ghost, the ring is plain white bar one flashing section at 11 o clock,

the support guy suggested disconnecting at the mains but then emailed later to say i need i new unit and he would arrange that for me.

Free replacement? That’s a great result. They are helpful I must say when it comes to things Like that I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Make sure its 24VAC for best results from the Pro.

Free replacement? That’s a great result. They are helpful I must say when it comes to things Like that I believe.

Yeah it’s fair enough but to be fair I’d expect that it slightly under a year and has just packed in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Does the ring doorbell 2 have a silent mode? eg can configure it to not chime after a certain hour when the kids are in bed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

viperlogic wrote: »
    Does the ring doorbell 2 have a silent mode? eg can configure it to not chime after a certain hour when the kids are in bed

You can only schedule motion alerts not to alert during specific times. Can’t seem to do it for doorbell rings. You can however mute rings manually for a certain period of time. You’d have to go into the app and click the button any time you want to set the mute.

• Advertisement

Can two strands of cat5e be used to power the Ring Pro safely or is the gauge too small/light?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

You can only schedule motion alerts not to alert during specific times. Can’t seem to do it for doorbell rings. You can however mute rings manually for a certain period of time. You’d have to go into the app and click the button any time you want to set the mute.

Spot on... have a Ring 2 also and you can go into app and set a snooze on the chime for a certain period of time manually. You can't schedule that.

If you want to get creative you could get a smart plug and set a schedule on that and plug the chime into it?

kennM wrote: »
    If you want to get creative you could get a smart plug and set a schedule on that and plug the chime into it?

Thats the conclusion I came to also. Will do a feature request and who knows, it may get on their roadmap as i think is a nice feature.

to be fair thats a feature they should have really, its one of the benefits of having a connected device!

viperlogic wrote: »
    Thats the conclusion I came to also. Will do a feature request and who knows, it may get on their roadmap as i think is a nice feature.

I had a quick look to see if there was an IFTTT recipe that'd do the trick for you but unfortunately there isn't. There are a number of Ring recipes around Ring but not one that'll do that yet.

Pop in the request and hopefully they add it. Some nice features on the TP Link plugs, one i particuarly like is for times you can set it to sun down or sun up so for lights coming on in the evening no need to keep changing the configured time as evenings shorten.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kennM wrote: »
    I had a quick look to see if there was an IFTTT recipe that'd do the trick for you but unfortunately there isn't. There are a number of Ring recipes around Ring but not one that'll do that yet.

Rather then look for recipes, when looking at IFTTT capabilities, I look at what the API actually supports.

- Go to https://ifttt.com/ring
    - Scroll to the bottom
    - Click on "Ring Triggers and Actions"

Unfortunately in this case you can see that their IFTTT support is pretty limited, just two triggers and no actions.

bk wrote: »
    Rather then look for recipes, when looking at IFTTT capabilities, I look at what the API actually supports.

- Go to https://ifttt.com/ring
    - Scroll to the bottom
    - Click on "Ring Triggers and Actions"

Unfortunately in this case you can see that their IFTTT support is pretty limited, just two triggers and no actions.

Thx... I would hope/expect this will likely change under Amazon ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Nearly two years since the thread was started, how are people feeling about these long term?

Is the motion detection and phone notification reliable and quick? I'm tempted by the Ring 2 as I don't have an existing wired doorbell for the pro.

Wiring in a Ring Pro tonight. Will report back

• Advertisement

i wouldnt be without mine (ring pro), it failed and they sent me a replacement during the 18 months ive had it. i find it reliable and quick but you need strong wifi

Advertisement