Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Deliberator

bopter wrote: »
    I just got my Ring Pro today but don't have an installer.

Did you install it yourself with the step up charger and all that jazz, or should I get an electrician?

Hi, the common wisdom seems to be to use an electrician for the install of the transformer, as this requires work inside the fuse box. I found a friendly registered electrician who came out and did this for €30, while he is on another job in the general area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bopter

Hi - thanks for the advice. That was a great price he did it for. Would you have his number by any chance please?

bopter wrote: »
    Hi - thanks for the advice. That was a great price he did it for. Would you have his number by any chance please?

Do the rules say that we cannot promote a company? I'm not sure. I'll PM you to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bopter

Got it. Thanks Deliberator

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Do the rules say that we cannot promote a company? I'm not sure. I'll PM you to be on the safe side.

They do alright, pm is the way you go.

And correct working on the board is against the law unless you are a rec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

Could you PM me too?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Just wondering how is everyone finding their Ring Doorbell Pro? Also, what firmware version are you on? You can get this info. by going into "Device Health" on the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Was out in the new Harvey Norman in tallaght this morning and they have the new ring doorbell version 2 and also the ring pro! Just for anyone looking for bricks and mortar suplier in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

Homer wrote: »
    Was out in the new Harvey Norman in tallaght this morning and they have the new ring doorbell version 2 and also the ring pro! Just for anyone looking for bricks and mortar suplier in dublin.

Did you manage to take note of the prices? Thanks...

Ring 2 @ €239

Ring Pro @ €299

From my research the ring 2 seems like the best option? OK the Ring Pro is neater but Ring 2 has all the same functionality.

• Advertisement

Their site has a handy comparison table, at https://ring.com/videodoorbells.

The Doorbell Pro is hardwired only, whereas the Doorbell 2 also has a removeable battery. The Doorbell Pro supports 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz wifi, but the Doorbell 2 supports only 2.4 Ghz. THe Doorbell Pro has 'Advance Motion Detection', and the Doorbell 2 supports 'Basic Motion Detection'. The Doorbell Pro also supports 'Human Detection'. The Pro also comes with 2 extra colour shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Hi All,

Hoping some knowledgeable folk on here may be able to help me

I attempted to install the ring doorbell pro this weekend. Installed the power booster in the old ringbox, no issues - connected the ring to the wifi , again no issues but then then video feed wouldn't work and also the internal bell wouldnt ring

When I went into diagnostics i noted that the power was low (i think 3854 mav) and the unit later powered off. Does anyone know what the power is low and how to solve this?

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hoping some knowledgeable folk on here may be able to help me

I attempted to install the ring doorbell pro this weekend. Installed the power booster in the old ringbox, no issues - connected the ring to the wifi , again no issues but then then video feed wouldn't work and also the internal bell wouldnt ring

When I went into diagnostics i noted that the power was low (i think 3854 mav) and the unit later powered off. Does anyone know what the power is low and how to solve this?

Thanks in advance

Do you have a picture of what you installed in the chime box?
    Iirc its a bypass connecter so the chime wouldn't work anymore.

If its a voltage issue, you need to confirm that the trafo at the main board is 18-24v and not 12v like most would be.
    Did you get a trafo supplied with the Pro? Any work on the board would be for an electrician and they would be able to confirm the correct voltage also.

Davy wrote: »
    Do you have a picture of what you installed in the chime box?
    Iirc its a bypass connecter so the chime wouldn't work anymore.

If its a voltage issue, you need to confirm that the trafo at the main board is 18-24v and not 12v like most would be.
    Did you get a trafo supplied with the Pro? Any work on the board would be for an electrician and they would be able to confirm the correct voltage also.

Thanks for the reply. No, with the pro you install a transformer "booster" i believe, see pic below from the bell box

I also noted that (what i believe) to be the transformer on the bell box is 8-16v , is it just a matter of getting this small component replaced to be 18-24v? Is this a big/expensive job? - i hope it doesn't involve getting a whole new fuse box

Thanks for the reply. No, with the pro you install a transformer "booster" i believe, see pic below from the bell box

I also noted that (what i believe) to be the transformer on the bell box is 8-16v , is it just a matter of getting this small component replaced to be 18-24v? Is this a big/expensive job? - i hope it doesn't involve getting a whole new fuse box

I can't offer much advice, I'm afraid, but from what I understand you have the US edition of the Doorbell Pro there. The UK edition comes with a 24V transformer for fitting in your fuse box, to replace any existing transformer configuration which will typically be 8-12V output.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

The Pro that is sold in Ireland comes with a transformer and a wifi chime unit. It totally bypasses your old chime. It's power from fuse board to transformer then transformer linked to doorbell with original bell wire. It also come with other bits and pieces to enable bypassing the original chime.

If you didn't get the transformer and chime get on to Ring, they may send one to you (they did to me). They'll also give you instructions for installing. You'll need a registered sparks to wire the transformer in.

Thanks folks - ring are sending me out the european addons so this will be great

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Having terrible trouble with my ring pro still, fitted as part of a house rewire, all worked perfectly for 6 weeks or so then just died. Spent an hour on chat with ring checking everything out and then they sent me a new one. New one doesn't work either, just totally dead, won't power on.

Only issue myself or electrician could find was that both the ring transformers seemed to be sending too high a voltage. At least 28V.

Has anyone else had similar issues with dead doorbells?

Am curious why people are not just going with the rechargeable battery as an option? I had mains available at the location where I installed my Ring II but the battery will last up to a year (manufacturer claim) but I reckon I will get months at least between charges and when I need to charge it I will take it out and charge it overnight and re install the next morning? Made for a super easy self install and is working perfectly! I added the stick up camera at the rear of the property and both are working flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Am curious why people are not just going with the rechargeable battery as an option? I had mains available at the location where I installed my Ring II but the battery will last up to a year (manufacturer claim) but I reckon I will get months at least between charges and when I need to charge it I will take it out and charge it overnight and re install the next morning? Made for a super easy self install and is working perfectly! I added the stick up camera at the rear of the property and both are working flawlessly.

I installed my Ring 2 around the 1st July and had to recharge it this week, I do have live view enabled which decreases the battery.

• Advertisement

I could live with having to charge every 2-3 months I guess if it avoids a complicated hard wired install. Each to their own.

There is no battery in the ring pro, so there isn’t any option but to use mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Ring have advertised a new Ring Elite in recent days. It's meant to be powered by PoE instead. The product page won't load for me.

copacetic wrote: »
    There is no battery in the ring pro, so there isn’t any option but to use mains.

Ah my apologies the sales guy told me that it had a battery and the main difference was the size of the actual unit and the advanced motion detection so I went with the Ring II

ethernet wrote: »
    Ring have advertised a new Ring Elite in recent days. It's meant to be powered by PoE instead. The product page won't load for me.

Been on sale for a while in US. Double the price for Poe with basically same specs as ring pro except more difficult install, as it’s designed to be flush mounted with large cavity required in wall for the electronics. Would likely have gone for it if available at the time I was getting wiring done though.

CsaPEsUUAAABiba.jpg
    video-doorbell-elite_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Been on sale for a while in US. Double the price for Poe with basically same specs as ring pro except more difficult install, as it’s designed to be flush mounted with large cavity required in wall for the electronics. Would likely have gone for it if available at the time I was getting wiring done though.

Good to know. Was in Best Buy a few weeks ago and didn't see any. At that price point though, probably nowhere near as popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I could live with having to charge every 2-3 months I guess if it avoids a complicated hard wired install. Each to their own.

Not a major headache. I bought a 2nd battery so that I can swap instead of leaving the door bell off overnight.

Having terrible trouble with my ring pro still, fitted as part of a house rewire, all worked perfectly for 6 weeks or so then just died. Spent an hour on chat with ring checking everything out and then they sent me a new one. New one doesn't work either, just totally dead, won't power on.

Only issue myself or electrician could find was that both the ring transformers seemed to be sending too high a voltage. At least 28V.

Has anyone else had similar issues with dead doorbells?
    I'm in a very similar position. The first one only worked for one afternoon, then stopped working. When trying to set it up again, it just won't broadcast the 'Ring-XXXXXX' wifi network, so you cannot progress any further. I have had three further doorbells sent out to me, and every one of them was DOA. (The original one still powers on...)

I wondered about the transformer, myself. Mine puts out nearly 30V.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I'm in a very similar position. The first one only worked for one afternoon, then stopped working. When trying to set it up again, it just won't broadcast the 'Ring-XXXXXX' wifi network, so you cannot progress any further. I have had three further doorbells sent out to me, and every one of them was DOA. (The original one still powers on...)

I wondered about the transformer, myself. Mine puts out nearly 30V.

Just wondering are you measuring that direct from traffo? From the app in Device health mine is delivering 4253mV . I've had no problems with mine , bar initial setup woes . Resolved by installing a ChimePro which they sent FOC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Where is the best place to get ring products to Ireland. I hope to get the doorbell, 2 HD cameras and the floodlight.

Is it amazon or bricks and mortar (I know Currys and Maplin both have some stock, although Maplins seem more expensive).

Do I need to consider country specific version or will an electrician be able to sort it regardless?

Thanks

Advertisement