Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Where is the best place to get ring products to Ireland. I hope to get the doorbell, 2 HD cameras and the floodlight.

Is it amazon or bricks and mortar (I know Currys and Maplin both have some stock, although Maplins seem more expensive).

Do I need to consider country specific version or will an electrician be able to sort it regardless?

Thanks
    Maybe online. Haven't seen any Pros in stores here.

With regard to the floodlight, the manual says it's compatible with 230V. LEDs are non-replaceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Deliberator

Yes, I'm measuring direct from the transformer. As the device will not set up, I'm not able to see what the app says...

Has anyone with a Doorbell Pro (working without issues), measured the output either at the transformer, or at the wires going into the doorbell?

I'd be interested to know if the issues that myself and one or two others are having is down to bad transformers giving out the wrong voltage. Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Yes, I'm measuring direct from the transformer. As the device will not set up, I'm not able to see what the app says...

Has anyone with a Doorbell Pro (working without issues), measured the output either at the transformer, or at the wires going into the doorbell?

I'd be interested to know if the issues that myself and one or two others are having is down to bad transformers giving out the wrong voltage. Thanks

That's were I was getting the 28 to 36 with two different transformers. I have a high quality unit on the way to see if it gives 24v more reliably and if it does if whether it makes a difference or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Deliberator

Can anyone else out there, with a working configuration, confirm for us, what voltage your transformer is putting out? I'm about to engage with Ring again, and I'm looking at the prospect of a fifth unit being sent out to me!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Can anyone else out there, with a working configuration, confirm for us, what voltage your transformer is putting out? I'm about to engage with Ring again, and I'm looking at the prospect of a fifth unit being sent out to me!

Thanks

From the app: 4313mV. I don’t have a meter to get a direct read from the transformer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

From the app: 4245mV , Also don’t have a meter .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

4092 on mine (app)

Fluctuates a little normally higher

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

I'm so glad I didn't buy the ring. Bought the arlo Netgear camera system 3 cameras wirelessly set up. Absolutely delightedi notification when some one comes in range.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

noel100 wrote: »
    I'm so glad I didn't buy the ring. Bought the arlo Netgear camera system 3 cameras wirelessly set up. Absolutely delightedi notification when some one comes in range.

Its not really a doorbell though is it ? After some initial problems with setup on my ring I'm chuffed with it . Never drops off network and works perfectly for everyone in the household.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭Homer

Im so glad I bought the Ring 2 and additional stick up camera also. Absolutely delighted! Notification when someone comes in range front and rear and works perfectly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I have a ring and have zero issues, working perfect and passes the missus test

I did have an issue early on but a chat with support came up with a suggesting to fix it. The ring doesn't cope well with multiple access points with the same ssid so I have a virtual access point just for IOT devices

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

just a word of caution with Ring. They have pulled 2 dick moves recently which would make me reconsider a purchase if I didnt already have one.
    1. They reduced the cloud storage from 6 months video to 2 with zero communication AFTER i had paid upfront for the entire year
    2. They have significantly reduced the bitrate/quality of the video. The night vision is particularly bad now when it was crystal clear before. This is to presumably reduce their AWS storage fees

If I wasn't already invested in this system I'd be holding off the the Nest doorbell or looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

beanian wrote: »
    just a word of caution with Ring. They have pulled 2 dick moves recently which would make me reconsider a purchase if I didnt already have one.
    1. They reduced the cloud storage from 6 months video to 2 with zero communication AFTER i had paid upfront for the entire year
    2. They have significantly reduced the bitrate/quality of the video. The night vision is particularly bad now when it was crystal clear before. This is to presumably reduce their AWS storage fees

If I wasn't already invested in this system I'd be holding off the the Nest doorbell or looking elsewhere.

Yeah, I’ve the Pro since July and notice that the night vision was bad but fixed in a recent firmware update 1.9.2. What firmware version do you have?

Would you need to have the past 6 months videos though? Nest doesn’t offer the past 6 months, I think only 1 month?

Get on to them to change the video quality settings from “auto” to “1080” to see if it makes a difference.

Also, I’ve seen the spec for the Nest “Hello” and it does look good. It will be expensive I imagine. Their cloud storage is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

I bought the arlo 3 wireless camera system.
    I find this excellent no fees free storage on web can download any image. Can use USB for backup on hub. Instant notification of any thing or person coming in front of the camera.
    If you upgrade to PRO version you can talk to people on the camera side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

I bought the arlo 3 wireless camera system.
    I find this excellent no fees free storage on web can download any image. Can use USB for backup on hub. Instant notification of any thing or person coming in front of the camera.
    If you upgrade to PRO version you can talk to people on the camera side.

How much did that set you back though?

Amazon it is 359 Sterling
    I bought mine Amazon prime day special 240sterling
    2 days ago on flash sale 279sterling a friend of mine bought the set at this price.
    Argos Ireland 500e
    Littlewoods over 700e
    I was going to buy the ring pro but there has been to many problems with it. People complaining.
    Id say Black Friday sale should be discounted again on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Interested in getting a ring pro, problem is I'd have to move the doorbell for it to work. We have our doorbell beside the actual door, but 2 years ago we installed a porch so I'd need to move the bell to get use out of it.

Has anyone else had this done? What's the kind of charge I could be expected to pay, I literally have no idea of the kind of price I'd be expected to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

I know people have posted difficulties they've had but thought I'd add a bit of balance...

Just had Ring Pro installed (Friend of mine is a sparks). Install was very straight forward, no difficulties, everything worked perfect first time... app, setup, etc. Working perfectly in about 30 minutes. Replaced existing bell transformer with ring one (even though original one would have been fine, comes in packaging so might aswell use official one). Quality of video is very good.

Overall first impressions have been very positive. I can see my electrician getting one too, very impressed with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

My apartment was burgled last week. I had the Canary home camera inside my apartment that caught them on video, so hopefully the cops can ID them from that.

As added security, I installed the Ring 2 video doorbell a few days ago. Pretty good so far. Install was easy enough. Just drilled a couple of holes as I was using the angled bracket and attached the Ring to it. I'm using the battery-only option as the existing doorbell was too low. Video quality is decent, but still playing around with the settings to get them optimal.

It's a good deterrent I think. I also like the feature where your neighbours can share their videos to the community. Nice idea!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

My apartment was burgled last week. I had the Canary home camera inside my apartment that caught them on video, so hopefully the cops can ID them from that.

I caught the guys breaking into cars with my ring camera. The police looked at it but nothing happened as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stoner wrote: »
    I caught the guys breaking into cars with my ring camera. The police looked at it but nothing happened as of yet.

I had some one caught breaking into my car, after 2 court cases nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Looking at getting something like ring pro for parents as getting very security conscious and some burglaries around their area.

Not sure if their current doorbell is hardwired but think the wifi extends to outside the door as virgin router in the front room.

Have not really shopped around just looked on Amazon for ring pro

Are there other options that wont break the bank

Cheers

Looking at getting something like ring pro for parents as getting very security conscious and some burglaries around their area.

Not sure if their current doorbell is hardwired but think the wifi extends to outside the door as virgin router in the front room.

Have not really shopped around just looked on Amazon for ring pro

Are there other options that wont break the bank

Cheers

I got mine from Amazon... Maplin webdeals through Amazon to be exact. It worked out at €270 euro landed. Then electrician installation. If it's for your folks I assume they are reasonably tech proficient? Smart phones, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Cheers
    Sister over from UK and they have Ring on their house so we could see front of their house. They do not have the pro and bro in law said that no wires run by battery which he has to charge. So just screwed it onto the wall and can view it via the app.
    So is there wifi required?
    Parents use smart phones but just need to be shown write it down and I can show them the app so hopefully no issues there. Will check on amazon for prices and see what options there are

Cheers
    Sister over from UK and they have Ring on their house so we could see front of their house. They do not have the pro and bro in law said that no wires run by battery which he has to charge. So just screwed it onto the wall and can view it via the app.
    So is there wifi required?
    Parents use smart phones but just need to be shown write it down and I can show them the app so hopefully no issues there. Will check on amazon for prices and see what options there are

Pro needs to use existing wires... you'll need an electrician to install. You need a transformer in the fuse box to supply 24volts to bell. The kit comes with a transformer. There may already be a transformer in the fuse box for the doorbell, in my case there was but my home is a relatively new build.

It uses & communicates (all Ring bells do) with your wifi so you need a reasonable signal at your front door also. You lose your existing bell ringer but the kit comes with a ring plugin chime that can be plugged in anywhere, also communicates via wifi. You can configure different ring tones on it. Interestingly you can also configure your chime to play a tone when it detects motion.... like dogs barking, which I thought is quite a novel idea. It also has a few novel ones that could do the trick for halloween... like a witches cackle, so if it detect motion you could play a witches cackle from inside and scare the giblets out of the kids :)

You can also buy another chime or two if you want more coverage in the house etc. Connects easily too.

Hope it helps

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Video Doorbell (original) and Video Doorbell 2 can either be wired (for power) or just use battery.

Only the Pro has to be wired for power.

They all use wifi for the actual video.

bk wrote: »

They all use wifi for the actual video.
    + notifications from bell to ringer(s) ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

kennM wrote:
    + notifications from bell to ringer(s)

Yep if you've a ring chime.

Apartments are ideal for this but most houses in Ireland have a door bell and won't need the additional cost of a chime.

The temptation here is to not try to get the old bell working and just use a chime.

The old fashioned door bell is very fast and even if the ring goes off line it's a perfectly functioning door bell button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,520 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why not keep the current doorbell and get a Ring HD Camera. Wireless and basically does the same thing without the doorbell component.

Simple to install and notifications etc.

Advertisement