Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Skipping cutscenes? You said you skipped the cutscenes in Final Fantasy 7R, what's wrong with you man?

It's just the way I am. I'd love to be able to sit through cut scenes as it seems to offend people but I just can't.
    Honestly though I can't, it's probably a deep rooted psychological issue I really should address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's just the way I am. I'd love to be able to sit through cut scenes as it seems to offend people but I just can't.
    Honestly though I can't, it's probably a deep rooted psychological issue I really should address.

Haha. Atleast you're honest :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't want to be lumped in way that crowd. My disappointment has zero to do with anyone's gender, sexual preference or skin colour. I am not one of those strange people who see red when there's a gay, black or strong female character.

It's a shít, hacky direction to take, in my opinion

Criticism is a healthy and natural part of any discussion about art or entertainment. The game could well be crap. I for one don't hold Naughty Dog up as a developer that can do no wrong. I think most of their games have been really good but am always happy to call out their limitations and missteps too. Management have obviously earned the criticism they've received for their working practices, too. Reasonable debate and bigotry are two very different things :)

A leak IMO can't come remotely close to telling me how this game or its story will play or work over the entire running time, so I'll play it myself and make a call then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cutscenes are a terrible storytelling crutch and should be as short as possible in videogames.

I actually get really annoyed these days when I start a new game and have to wait ages for the developer to tell their crappy story I don't care about. And I'm too OCD to skip it in case I miss something important (spoiler: you rarely do).

They should be short little breaks or rewards between action scenes and not something that makes you scream 'Get on with it!' in your head.

That said I don't remember them being too egregious in the original Last of Us. And using them to hide load times meant they were a lesser form of evil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Cutscenes are a terrible storytelling crutch and should be as short as possible in videogames.

I think they have their use, depending on the game. Obviously environmental and in-game storytelling should be prioritised wherever possible or reasonable, and plenty of talented developers have shown you can tell a story with minimal or no cutaways (Half-Life etc...). But equally some of the alternatives to cutscenes have their own problems - in FF7R I've actually wished there were MORE cutscenes as the 'being forced to walk slowly while a conversation / story moment plays out' wears thin quickly. Doesn't help that the game feels particularly clunky in those moments, but yeah would almost prefer they wrestle control away from me rather than the confined, pseudo-interactivity.

The problem with most video game cutscenes - and honestly most video game stories - is that they're badly directed and badly written. They're bland, the narrative is uninteresting, and yes often run on far too long. They can be visually uninteresting, stiffly animated or far too busy with exploding stuff. If Naughty Dog can be credited with anything, it's making sure that cutscenes are enjoyable, well-paced affairs that are smartly directed. The characters move and speak like real people - or at least an effective Hollywood shorthand for real people - rather than being big, overblown exposition delivery people.

Sometimes giving players limited interactivity to give them some agency highlights the limits of interactive storytelling - your own criticism of the 'shoot the doctor' bit at the end of TLOU1 is an example of how that just doesn't work for some players. Cutscenes aren't always ideal, but they're also often the best way to ensure a story plays out exactly the way the designers intended (which is super important!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Hey, just here to make a grand sweeping statement about a game I've not played. I won't be pre-ordering this game (but will probably cave on release day and buy it anyway because as a bigot I'm nothing but hypocritical).
    Maybe its just me but I like to stand by my beliefs. Typically games and movies that force politics in games and movies do poorly. Wolfenstein 2 (I found it did it well in this game as it fit the plot but did poorly because of it) and the previous example someone mentioned was Ghostbusters which is being written out of the Ghostbusters universe because it did so bad.
    It's not that I hate women but they don't deserve to be in my male power fantasy dominated hobby which has unfortunately become more mainstream. I'm desperately trying to keep videogames gated from newbies who will ruin it by being as obnoxious as possible. They are the weaker sex and should stick to buying shoes, doing their hair and wearing revealing clothes as bit characters in comic book adaptations made for babies but I hold up as cultural milestones anyway. All women are shallow anyway as they won't sleep with me and instead only sleep with guys that go to the gym and aren't interesting like me.
    If this was the case, these same people that complain about the SJW agendas in games would hate Tomb Raider/Horizon Zero dawn/Wonder Woman. Curious why these sexists like these types of movies and games.
    I also have nothing against gay people but think they are digusting and should be kept out of sight. They should not be in a videogame I want to buy because all videogames should only be made for people like me as I'm the one that keeps the videogame industry alive. Without me Naughty Dog would be nothing! Videogames are art but art should be beholden to restrictions imposed on it by marketing and abide by the code of the incel neckbeard fraternity. It shouldn't try to push the medium forward and stray from the status quo, that's not what art is. Naughty Dog should look to Marvel movies to see what real mainstream art is.
    As a Bi person I can't say I have anything against gay people and have spent most of my younger life with them before finding a partner I love. Again I will highlight no one had an issue with Ellie being gay in the first one, why would this suddenly become an issue in the second?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

All women are shallow anyway as they won't sleep with me and instead only sleep with guys that love Final Fantasy VII

Fixed that for ya :)

This is a hard one to discuss because from what I've seen, it is indeed neckbeards are very upset over it but at the same time, we have Marston who is saying it is genuinely **** and the majority of us won't know until we play it. It could go in some horrible direction but I think the problem is with the blatant hate for women, gay, black, etc and how acceptable it is to openly hate on the Internet. I know Trump gave yanks carte blanche to be racist and proud but he can't be solely blamed for the increase we have seen. Someone here brought up a good point in that when the original Tomb Raider came out, no one was up in arms about a female lead. That is one old game and you would think that as time goes one, we get more progressive but yet we have a time when everyone is so sensitive, sjw, snoflake, woke (God I hate those terms) and when someone creates something, it gets ripped to shreds for not adhering to their personal view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I actually get really annoyed these days when I start a new game and have to wait ages for the developer to tell their crappy story I don't care about. And I'm too OCD to skip it in case I miss something important (spoiler: you rarely do).

They should be short little breaks or rewards between action scenes and not something that makes you scream 'Get on with it!' in your head.

That said I don't remember them being too egregious in the original Last of Us. And using them to hide load times meant they were a lesser form of evil.

A bad example for this is Max Payne 3, even when you select to skip a cutscene it still won't load the next area and continue to play until there is about 5 seconds of it left.

deceit wrote: »
    Typically games and movies that force politics in games and movies do poorly.

And yet some of the particular pariahs for the 'anti-SJW' crowd - such as the new Star Wars films or Captain Marvel* - have been certified mega-hits. Gone Home - another title that has many reactionary sorts in the gaming web frothing at the mouth - is one of the big indie success stories of the last decade.

(Also, I think this film is absolute crap for reasons that have nothing to do with Brie Larson being rather outspoken)
    If this was the case, these same people that complain about the SJW agendas in games would hate Tomb Raider/Horizon Zero dawn/Wonder Woman. Curious why these sexists like these types of movies and games.

Because one of the rhetorical devices used by some people is to say 'aha, but I like THIS game with THIS woman'. In actual fact it's just another attempt by them to narrow the playing field of what is and isn't acceptable when it comes to representations of women - per this insidious argument, female characters can exist but they need to fit narrow criteria of 'acceptability'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

I am sad it was leaked but if that is what is needed to fix the "working" problems in ND then so be it. Must have been a lot of complaints falling on deaf ears if it came to this drastic action.

I am enjoying the outrage the plot is causing already. I hope the game contains every gender, sexual orientation and race, and the villain is an overweight white man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I did read one thing about the game that has me worried about the quality of the writing.

It's not a story spoiler at all but going to spoiler it as some people are way too sensitive:
    The level of violence in the game. Apparently it's more shock value with it being on the level of a Hostel movie. Violence for violence sake.

Because one of the rhetorical devices used by some people is to say 'aha, but I like THIS game with THIS woman'. In actual fact it's just another attempt by them to narrow the playing field of what is and isn't acceptable when it comes to representations of women - per this insidious argument, female characters can exist but they need to fit narrow criteria of 'acceptability'.

I think the other thing that is ridiculous is that these 'acceptable' criteria always puts the woman in a role usually traditionally filled by a man. Replace the protagonist of Wonder Woman/Tomb Raider/Horizon Zero Dawn with a man and you lose nothing.

God forbid a woman is the lead and *nerd rage rises* acts like a woman or or deals with female themes. Not in my nerd media!

Unlike Ghostbusters which was just painful.

And yet some of the particular pariahs for the 'anti-SJW' crowd - such as the new Star Wars films or Captain Marvel* - have been certified mega-hits. Gone Home - another title that has many reactionary sorts in the gaming web frothing at the mouth - is one of the big indie success stories of the last decade.

(Also, I think this film is absolute crap for reasons that have nothing to do with Brie Larson being rather outspoken)
    Of the new Star wars movie the first one was very good and Rogue one was Brilliant, the second one was a disaster and is most likely the reason Solo flopped. I haven't watched the last one but I've heard they went out of their way to try rewrite the second one out (sjw edition) as much as possible.
    Captain Marvel was always going to make a tonne of money based on were they positioned it, it was also helped by Disney buying up loads of the seats on the first weekend to ensure it did well.
    If it really did as well as they say, why did they remove Captain Marvel out of the last movie as much as possible and make her a token character?
    I'm not aware of the game so I cant comment on it, its funny I bought it I just haven't played it so I must have got it on a sale.
    A better game to quote would be borderlands 3, this is a game that did well but me personally I wouldn't call it an sjw game, its more hipster. The main bad girls voice is the most annoying thing in the world, other than that so far I've been really enjoying the game.
    People don't have issues with female characters in games, people have issues with SJW lunatics pushing their politics in games and preaching to people.
    If someone was looking to narrow the field and remove females from the last of us (They would be complaining about Ellie who is the most important character in the series) or as I said Horizon zero dawn or Tomb raider which are similar enough games.
    People have a problem with Anita the lunatic and her ilk that have no interest in games pushing their agenda as they've found a way of scamming money out of gullible people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Captain Marvel was always going to make a tonne of money based on were they positioned it, it was also helped by Disney buying up loads of the seats on the first weekend to ensure it did well.
    If it really did as well as they say, why did they remove Captain Marvel out of the last movie as much as possible and make her a token character?

Captain Marvel was released in March. Avengers Endgame came out the end of April. You think they edited her out of Avengers Endgame based on the reception to her solo movie?

The reason she wasn't in it much was a) she was filming Captain Marvel at pretty much the same time Avengers Endgame was being filmed (her first time actually playing the character was in Avengers Endgame where some (if not all) her scenes were shot before she started filming her own movie), and b) she's overpowered and a new character, whereas Endgame was mostly focusing on the older characters.

But Endgame showed how powerful her character is and really how instrumental she's likely to be going forward. The reception to her own movie would have had no effect on that whatsoever, they simply wouldn't have had time to do anything different in Endgame that close to release.

Also, Disney buying seats so the movie did well? Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

What was particularly SJW about the second of the new star wars trilogy and the Captain Marvel movie? They are two fairly forgettable movies, Captain Marvel in particular, so maybe I don't remember what was outrageously agenda-pushing about them.

A better game to quote would be borderlands 3, this is a game that did well but me personally I wouldn't call it an sjw game, its more hipster.

The fact that it sold millions and the fact that you've heard of it means calling it hipster is a gross misunderstanding of the word hipster.

What was particularly SJW about the second of the new star wars trilogy and the Captain Marvel movie? They are two fairly forgettable movies, Captain Marvel in particular, so maybe I don't remember what was outrageously agenda-pushing about them.

They're also movies made for babies to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Because it followed a short, slightly overweight Asian actress in the most pointless storyline of the film.

The jackasses used that as an excuse for why the movie was awful and bullied her off Twitter. Kind of telling that she was pretty much anonymous in Episode 9.

Because it followed a short, slightly overweight Asian actress in the most pointless storyline of the film.

The jackasses used that as an excuse for why the movie was awful and bullied her off Twitter. Kind of telling that she was pretty much anonymous in Episode 9.

I honestly didn't know anything about this and I'm a bit shocked by it reading up about it now. What was the point of bullying her off of social media? What does that achieve but to make the people doing it look like vile excuse for humans. There really is an enormous amount of fúckwits in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I remember having a discussion with a poster on the Steam forums about Wolfenstein: The New Colossus. The other poster was going on about a scene near the very end where BJ Blazkowicz is saved by his pregnant girlfriend/wife who jumps into the room then slide across the floor duel wielding assault rifles and kills several soliders.

The guy pointed out how ridiculous this was, as a pregnant women would seriously injure herself doing this in real life.

I pointed out this is what you find ridiculous in a series that has occult monsters, rained Nazi zombies, has giant mechs, the Nazi's have bases on the Moon and Venus, Hitler is a movie director on Venus, secret super advanced technology from an ancient civilization. giant airships, the main protagonist has killed hundreds if not thousands of people, can survive being shot hundreds of times, survive point blank grenade explosions and falling from incredible heights, can carry about dozen weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammunition, cat heads can be attached to monkey bodies and decapitation is not fatal.

None of that is ridiculous, but a pregnant women sliding across the floor shooting 2 guns is when the line is crossed and we end up in the realm of ridiculousness?

He didn't respond back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Debating whether to get this physical or digital.

Need to curb my love of physical media.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Sound great! Just pre-ordered it, thanks.

We all know you are a Far left commie with a big love for tripe like the Last Jedi but sorry to break it to you that is not the norm and never will be.

I've just went to youtube to get the first video about it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pClv7TCIPWA&feature=youtu.be
    I wasn't sure Captain Marvel was even an SJW movie, it was the previous poster pointing out it was so maybe they can comment on that one. I just wasn't interested in it as the lead was an ass.

We all know you are a Far left commie with a big love for tripe like the Last Jedi but sorry to break it to you that is not the norm and never will be.

I've got a weird feeling that your age is the same number as your IQ...

Do you spend all your time inhaling slang from the alt-right corners of the internet or is it just a part-time gig?

We all know you are a Far left commie

Finally, some recognition :cool:

I've just went to youtube to get the first video about it:

A half hour video presented by a guy that looks my shaved, left testicle wearing a mafioso wig and who calls himself Mr. Reagan? Nah, I'm good... I like my precious time on this earth too much to waste it watching shíte like that.

The fact that it sold millions and the fact that you've heard of it means calling it hipster is a gross misunderstanding of the word hipster.
    Going with modern trends is what I was going for with the term hipster as in streaming component (don't want to mention more as may accidentally spoil for others). This is not mean as an insult by the way, it just felt like an apt term to use given they were following modern trends like hipsters do.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Finally, some recognition :cool:

Well finally those capitalist pigs will pay for their crimes eh..hey comrades eh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement