Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Seriously any posting of spoilers even with tags here is a complete dick move. Hopefully no one does.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Bad time to ask how many are holding off until the PS5 before they play this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I want to mute some words on twitter to hopefully avoid leaks but since I don't know what the leak was about I don't know what to mute!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Bad time to ask how many are holding off until the PS5 before they play this?

Will be getting it digitally on release, no way i can wait any longer. Then, I'll buy the 'remastered' version on PS5 :)

.G. wrote: »
    I want to mute some words on twitter to hopefully avoid leaks but since I don't know what the leak was about I don't know what to mute!

I have muted 'Joel', 'Ellie' and 'tlou2'. Will see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, release date. I can play the original now again. Dick move for spoilers, hopefully I won't see any but I've lately been avoiding looking at anything gaming related. Whatever about TLOU2, I don't want anyone to spoil Ghost of Tsushima for me! Although, I believe Sucker Punch don't have any disgruntled employees yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I dont use Twitter, youtube or reddit so should manage to avoid any spoilers. As a rule I dont day 1 new games but reckon I'll break my own rules just this once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

As a rule I dont day 1 new games but reckon I'll break my own rules just this once.

Why would you not?

Being against pre-ordering, fair enough, but day 1?

Why would you not?

Being against pre-ordering, fair enough, but day 1?

I cant justify paying €70 or €80 for something I know will be available for half that in a couple of months time. Its purely a principle thing as opposed to a financial thing.

I cant justify paying €70 or €80 for something I know will be available for half that in a couple of months time. Its purely a principle thing as opposed to a financial thing.

Fair enough if that's what it's worth to you, can look at anything like that in life at the same time and then you're always waiting for prices to drop

My plan for TLOU2 would be to blast through it in a week or so, then look to sell it forward on Adverts for probably close to RRP, same as I do for most games these days, don't keep anything really

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Right well, I just got spoiled haha. Gonna be hard for most to dodge these leaks.

Where our how did you get spoiled? I don't use reddit and stopped using twitter due to movie and tv spoilers

Where our how did you get spoiled? I don't use reddit and stopped using twitter due to movie and tv spoilers

Twitter and Reddit :( Reddit tlou is on lockdown last time i checked but twitter is a free for all. A dev posted his thoughts on it, i clicked in and the first reply contained 2 major spoilers. I only use Twitter for game and mma news but I'll definitely have to stop clicking into any gaming posts for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I'd stay off Twitch also, or atleast remove the chat. In the more popular streams alot of people where spoiling Avengers. If the spoilers for this game are big i could see the same thing happening

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There is 2 months to go. Everyone but the most dedicated of spoiler-avoiders will have heard something by then.

I'd stay off Twitch also, or atleast remove the chat. In the more popular streams alot of people where spoiling Avengers. If the spoilers for this game are big i could see the same thing happening

The novelty will ware off after a few days as with anything, the people actively trying to spoil things will have moved on in a few days

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If something does get spoiled I wouldn't be too worried. Plot twists are as cheap as jump scares in horror films. If the writing is good you should still be invested in the characters and world and it shouldn't matter that much.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If something does get spoiled I wouldn't be too worried. Plot twists are as cheap as jump scares in horror films. If the writing is good you should still be invested in the characters and world and it shouldn't matter that much.

Yeah true that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Was just looking at a recent Rotten Tomatoes tweet and some C**t puts a potential Leak in the comments. Like wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I don't understand the mindset of posting the spoilers to every comment section in a weird attempt to encourage a boycott.

• Advertisement

Nah, some do it just to be a$$holes. I remember people posting spoilers for Scream 4 and Heavy Rain in comment sections of unrelated stories on places like ign

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Nah, some do it just to be a$$holes. I remember people posting spoilers for Scream 4 and Heavy Rain in comment sections of unrelated stories on places like ign

Heavy Rain I get, but Scream 4? lol

Sadly I accidentally scrolled into a spoiler. If it's any consolation, I don't know the context or build up. So I'll have to just mute all things TLOU2 going forward.

Fair enough if that's what it's worth to you, can look at anything like that in life at the same time and then you're always waiting for prices to drop

My plan for TLOU2 would be to blast through it in a week or so, then look to sell it forward on Adverts for probably close to RRP, same as I do for most games these days, don't keep anything really

I have a 3 year old and a 21 month old so simply do not have the time to plough 30 or 40 hours into a game in the space of a week. An average length game will probably take me two months or more to get through. I've no problem buying things, Im a collector of horror and movie memorabilia stuff and have spent over €500 on one single item at times so its not that i cant afford it, its just I cannot make peace with spending big on something that will be cost half that in 3 or 4 months and a quarter of the original price within a year. Different strokes for different folks I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

I've never had a problem with spoilers so I read/viewed the leaks yesterday.

For reasons I won't discuss (because well, spoilers) I will no longer be buying this game on release date and perhaps never will.

There is a theme emerging from Naughty Dog games in recent years.

Up to 2014 we had three very good Uncharted games and The Last of Us which I didn't play until 3 years after its release, and that game hit me in a way that I never imagined a game could. Enjoyable game play and excellent story.

2014 - Last of Us Left Behind DLC. Played entirely as Ellie who is now revealed to be a lesbian and her and her friend fall for each other. Gets praised for breaking new ground and inclusion of LGBT issues. Which is fine. As far as I'm concerned, I couldn't care less about the sub-plots so long as the game stands up.

2016 - Uncharted 4.
    Great game, visually a masterpiece. Nathan Drake is a fun character to play a game as. One annoyance in this game; Nadine Ross. Nathan Drake, who lets face it has murdered hundreds, maybe thousands in cold blood throughout the Uncharted game series, many through physical hand to hand contact, many necks snapped, and given his physical traversal skills the guy is basically a machine. He gets his ass absolutely handed to him by a small South African woman. And later on in the game, both he and his brother get their asses handed to them on a plate again, by said small South African woman. (Side note; she was originally supposed to be a man, and a character later in the game, an old woman in her mansion, was also originally supposed to be a man.)
    Nadine Ross is a beast right?

2017 - Uncharted; The Lost Legacy
    Good game in fairness but its just not the same without Nathan Drake as the protagonist. This time we'll go with a strong female protagonist in Chloe. I enjoyed the game play experience but there was one annoyance in this game; Nadine Ross. Remember that badass machine who kicked Nathan and Sam's asses? Turns out she's only ordinary when you're playing with her. There are a few stages in this game where if you don't intervene the Asav character kills Nadine like she's nothing.

Diversity, inclusivity, social justice, strong female characters (cough *Star Wars anyone* cough) are all the rage right now. Now without going into detail this once again manifests itself in TLOU part2. There were a few things I read/saw that made me kind of go "Really??" in the same way that I did when I had to accept that a small South African woman was able to beat the crap out of both of the Drake brothers, at the same time.

The women are awesome drum is being banged a bit too much by Neil Druckmann for my liking. It's a video game. A video game is not a platform for social change, the world won't change for the better because you worked LGBT and female characters to the core of the narrative of your games. I really get the feeling that he's doing it for the kudos and the warm fuzzy feeling, and the pats on the back for "breaking new ground".

I've played Tomb Raider games over the years. A very successful game franchise / series built around a good female character and not once has it felt agenda driven or forced. You'll play those games without giving a second thought as to the gender and/or sexuality of the character you are playing with.

However, the social justice tokenism of Naughty Dog/Neil Druckmann is just an irritant to me, and its not the reason I won't be buying or playing TLOU2, those reasons are solely plot based. I can live with the tokenism, but change the record.

Oh, and treat your employees better Mr Druckmann. Given what has been coming out over the last few months about working conditions, expectations on working hours, lack of overtime, crazy staff turnover levels and so on of your employees, it doesn't come as any real surprise that one of your many disgruntled ex-employees has opted to stick it to you in the way they have done in the last few days.

Edit: Just to add, Although I have decided I won't be playing this now, one thing I would say is that I still think this has the makings of an excellent game, and I still believe it will be a success. They could have gone down the route of a formulaic Uncharted style game where they're essentially just telling the same story in a different way, instead they have opted to continue the story line in a way which to be fair does make sense. Its not for me but I would recommend to anyone who hasn't seen the spoilers to ignore the outrage all over reddit/twitter, avoid spoilers, and I think most who play this game will enjoy it immensely. By no means would I call the plot sh!t, but in the same way that many people enjoy wine and I can't drink the stuff; it's just not for me, but many will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Aa you say it's a video game. Why did you buy into Nathan Drake being able to climb anything, kill anybody, jump any distance, read any language, know how to expertly use any weapon or vehicle but someone you call bs on women characters being over the top?

It's just a character in a made up world given lots of licence to do incredible things to move the plot on.

It has to be either a man or woman, that's all we've got, so what difference does it make?

You see it as pushing an agenda, but mainly because that is how you see it. You don't infer that Drake is pushing a masculine agenda do you? Do you think he pushes a straight agenda? Or maybe a marriage agenda?

Of course not because they are the usual theme norm, and thus anything outside of that can be described as an agenda.

It's like Star Wars. Rey, completely unbelievable. Where did she get her powers, how can she be so good? Its unbelievable. But Luke. Well that's perfectly understandable because of the force and his dad, and fate and just...well it makes sense.

Enjoy the game for the tension, the drama, the fight scenes, the graphics, the music etc.

If ND is using the platform he has to tell an alternative to the norm then good for him. Once it is a good story, well told, well delivered and is engaging I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Any advice on the best ways to avoid spoilers? :D I use youtube, twitch and reddit quite a bit, is there some ignore function for these sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Daughter of paramilitary leader who takes over his organisation/mercenary group and is likely heavily trained in physical combat beating a guy who is unskilled, untrained and largely seems to fly by the seat of his pants at all times.... Seems fair enough to me.

Said guy taking on dozens of trained, armoured and heavily armed mercenaries by crouching in some reeds about 100 times and always winning regardless of snipers, huge guys with body armour and gatling guns, and even mythical monsters/creatures, not to mention the countless vehicle crashes, falls from heights etc.... Also seems fair enough to me.

They're video games. Entertainment. Creative license is always, always used. I mean, I don't understand how this isn't an issue:

Nathan Drake, who lets face it has murdered hundreds, maybe thousands in cold blood throughout the Uncharted game series, many through physical hand to hand contact, many necks snapped, and given his physical traversal skills the guy is basically a machine.

But this is:
    He gets his ass absolutely handed to him by a small South African woman.

People like to project their own agendas and biases on to games and then say it's the video game that has the agenda and bias. Now that I know that the spoilers are upsetting broflakes I'm looking more forward to it than ever.

Yeah, the few posts i saw from people who have 'cancelled their pre-order' spouting sjw stuff in their posts so i think I'm ok with it. Saying that, the story might be a load of Bollox, i won't know (hopefully) til i play but no red flags for me yet.

Advertisement