Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

This literally sounds like the worst case of feminist far left propaganda I have ever heard, Anti Straight, anti Male, anti Christian and also it seems anti making money.....never mind I heard Anita Sarkeesian was involved so that explains that. When will they get it that regular people just dont like this kind of woke culture in their entertainment and it always seems to follow a successful franchise. Companies get a good, game, Movie or comic out there and as soon as they are successful and have a fan base someone in the company tries to turn it into a device to preach they twisted world view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

deceit wrote: »
    If you seen the leaks I would be surprised if you would say this.

TBH I'm the sort who will never use a phrase like "SJW" in anything other than an ironic or satirical way because I find such culture war nonsense completely ridiculous :)
    one thing they seem to forget is their customer can choose to purchase a game based on that story.

I am 100% confident this game will sell like absolute gangbusters, and the tiny audience who won't buy it for "SJW" reasons will have little to no discernible impact on the sales numbers of one of the most hotly anticipated games of the past decade.

And while I'm the opposite of a spoilerphobe (I think the internet freaks out about spoilers to a farcical degree), I'm also a firm believer in seeing how any given piece of work plays out in its full, intended form. I don't feel there is any way to experience any computer game properly without having a controller in your hand and actually playing the darn thing, and don't think a bunch of leaked clips or forum synopses can ever capture that.

I have no doubt I could well dislike TLOU2 for any plethora of reasons, given my past experiences with Naughty Dog games (TLOU very much included) - I'll just be playing it myself before coming to any conclusions about its successes or failures :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

feminist far left propaganda I have ever heard, Anti Straight, anti Male, anti Christian

Sound great! Just pre-ordered it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

This literally sounds like the worst case of feminist far left propaganda I have ever heard, Anti Straight, anti Male, anti Christian and also it seems anti making money.....never mind I heard Anita Sarkeesian was involved so that explains that. When will they get it that regular people just dont like this kind of woke culture in their entertainment and it always seems to follow a successful franchise. Companies get a good, game, Movie or comic out there and as soon as they are successful and have a fan base someone in the company tries to turn it into a device to preach they twisted world view.

Is this a legit opinion? If so get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

The Ghost of Tsushima is gay?
    I was replying to Sniper samurai's comments about if a game is not about a straight white male they are not interested. He/She doesn't seem to realize its more about people don't like being preached too.
    These same people who he says wont play any non male/white game I bet cant wait for Ghost of Tsushima or the next Tomb raider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

deceit wrote: »
    I was replying to Sniper samurai's comments about if a game is not about a straight white male they are not interested. He/She doesn't seem to realize its more about people don't like being preached too.
    These same people who he says wont play any non male/white game I bet cant wait for Ghost of Tsushima or the next Tomb raider.

I didn't say if it is about a straight white male, I said if that isn't the target demographic that a particular piece of media is aimed at. These two things are not necessarily the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Damn, I only had to listen to Neil Druckmann's horribly misguided opening sentence to further affirm what I think of Naughty Dog.

If you really want to punish yourselves watch the full clip :eek:

Neil Druckmann, creative director The Last of Us presents Anita Sarkeesian with the ambassador award.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Lara Croft was a good straight white female character . I would

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I didn't say if it is about a straight white male, I said if that isn't the target demographic that a particular piece of media is aimed at. These two things are not necessarily the same thing.
    My apologies, I took you up wrong then.
    But with a game like the last of us, I would expect the majority of people that would be interested in a game like this would be in that demographic and its what the first game squarely aimed itself at?
    I would say the main target demographic would have been males between 15-40 from North/South America/Europe/Russia and Asia. This would be by far the biggest market for these types of games. Its fine to try expand your target demographic but its a bad idea to do this by alienating your existing fan base.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Sound great! Just pre-ordered it, thanks.

Sounds so good, I'm going pre-order two copies and I don't even own a PS4!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Damn, I only had to listen to Neil Druckmann's horribly misguided opening sentence to further affirm what I think of Naughty Dog.

If you really want to punish yourselves watch the full clip :eek:

Neil Druckmann, creative director The Last of Us presents Anita Sarkeesian with the ambassador award.

Failsafe smack talking about a PlayStation related topic, must be a day that ends in y.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Azza wrote: »
    Sounds so good, I'm going pre-order two copies and I don't even own a PS4!
    Gotta have the extra copy for the wife's son.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,118 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There is no "SJW" problem with the storyline as far as I'm concerned but just ye wait until you see what the actual issues are. Just ye fúcking wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

J. Marston wrote: »
    There is no "SJW" problem with the storyline as far as I'm concerned
    The team is very much divided on the game, and even voicing your concerns on its story will upset certain individuals; it usually results in said person being called closed-minded or even phobic, or some such nonsense. Some people literally have to bite their tongues or fear losing their jobs, even careers, to an outrage mob.
    Hmm

Hmm

If by ‘hmm’, you mean ‘hmm it’s always worth checking if a quote has been vetted and not just published by one gutter site and then republished by other gutter sites which will publish any old ****e that comes their way’, then yes, hmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Probably the only game I won't skip the cut scenes in for the next 5 years and I already know what happens. I still won't be skipping the cut scenes
    Going to preorder the digital deluxe edition today and get it out of the way

Druckmann's destructive and juvenile ideologies are written all over the game, the plot, the characters, the casting, the insane staff turnover in Naughty Dog, and even how they are marketing the game.

People are entitled to their political beliefs but when they are so ingrained in the product then it becomes hard to separate the art from the artist. This is no longer 'just a game', it's an agenda disguised as a product. And people are naturally going to react to it as such. Most people don't liked being preached to.

This is all very unfortunate, but also entirely predictable. Many did predict it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I used to post on here but gave up because the site was slowly getting filled up with lunatics. I'd still look in on the games section to see what news there was and find out what the general reactions to new releases was. Your post inspired me though to rereg just to let you know I've pre-ordered the game. I was on the fence about getting it on release but your rant sealed the deal for me. I haven't read any spoilers but this type of reactionary blowback is enough to have me intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Druckmann's destructive and juvenile ideologies are written all over the game, the plot, the characters, the casting, the insane staff turnover in Naughty Dog, and even how they are marketing the game.

People are entitled to their political beliefs but when they are so ingrained in the product then it becomes hard to separate the art from the artist. This is no longer 'just a game', it's an agenda disguised as a product. And people are naturally going to react to it as such. Most people don't liked being preached to.

This is all very unfortunate, but also entirely predictable. Many did predict it.

Wow, I think this post says a bit more about you. What is so destructive about having a strong female? About having same sex couples? About saying that women can be strong and brave and fight for what they believe in?

You say that people are entitled to their political beliefs, yet you also seem to be suggesting that they shouldn't make anything that doesn't suit yours.

You are totally free to make a game yourself. Druckman, along with the entire ND team, have decided to tell this story. It is different than the one you would tell. I really cannot understand why people are getting so triggered by all of this.

THe other way to look at it is that they always wanted to tell that type of story but the majority are so unable to deal with anything different that they need to tow the line until such time as they have got enough power and kudos that they no longer are beholden to the interests of others and can actually do as they always wanted to do.

Your agenda is stifling the output of so many because it doesn't suit exactly what you want, even though the vast majority of games, movies etc are made with you in mind to try to placate you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Having never pre ordered and given I want a physical copy - when ordering from the lines of Smyths - how quickly do they dispatch? June 19 is a Friday. Do they only post that day or should I receive June 19?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

My daughter is obsessed with video games. She's played hundreds of hours of Zelda and Pokemon and she loves the likes of Undertale, Night in the Woods and Fez. We'll usually play a couple of games of Mario Kart or Fortnite at the weekend as well. She's also happens to be gay which has never been an issue for her, her sister or me and her mother. She's seen me flick through this site in the past but I honestly hope she never goes on it herself. I'd hate for her to end up reading guff from manchild posters about a game having a twisted world view and destructive and juvenile ideologies because it has a gay female lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Leroy42 wrote: »
    THe other way to look at it is that they always wanted to tell that type of story but the majority are so unable to deal with anything different that they need to tow the line until such time as they have got enough power and kudos that they no longer are beholden to the interests of others and can actually do as they always wanted to do.

Your agenda is stifling the output of so many because it doesn't suit exactly what you want, even though the vast majority of games, movies etc are made with you in mind to try to placate you.

Agreed. If you limit creators to not do stories with female leads, or LGBT leads, or black leads, then it defaults back to "White guy avenging dead wife" stories.

It's not "pushing an agenda", it's just "showing something different".

Women exist. LGBT people exist. Other races exist. Why not feature them as main characters instead of the default "dark-haired middle-aged guy with stubble" that so many other games go with. How is that "woke"? How is that "an agenda"?

How much does it really change the story? How much would "Black woman avenging dead wife" really change anything from "White guy avenging dead wife", except maybe the physicality of some fight scenes (which creators, whether it be game or film/tv, tend to take into account in how the fight scenes play out whether via story or choreography)?

Surely the agenda is on the part of those trying to limit the freedom of such creators (and I compeltely agree that the inverse is true, where the more progressive side complain when there isn't enough representation). Ultimately it's up to the creators. But I fail to see why representation is so big an issue where someone might go "I refuse to play this game because the main character is female/LGBT/black".

I used to post on here but gave up because the site was slowly getting filled up with lunatics. I'd still look in on the games section to see what news there was and find out what the general reactions to new releases was. Your post inspired me though to rereg just to let you know I've pre-ordered the game. I was on the fence about getting it on release but your rant sealed the deal for me. I haven't read any spoilers but this type of reactionary blowback is enough to have me intrigued.

I agree the post was ridiculous but having read the spoilers myself, and for reasons unrelated to the post we are talking about, my excitement and anticipation has waned sufficiently from having this as a day one purchase to something I might pick up after a few months for a budget price.

Disappointing but I'm sure some will love it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I had no interest in seeing Ghostbusters 2016 but all the misogynistic bile towards it

To be fair that was warranted since they made a trash film :pac:

You would think Drunkmann had the best of intentions here, but I'd say he may have gone about it completely the wrong way. Or who knows, maybe not. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Probably the only game I won't skip the cut scenes in for the next 5 years and I already know what happens. I still won't be skipping the cut scenes
    Going to preorder the digital deluxe edition today and get it out of the way

Skipping cutscenes? You said you skipped the cutscenes in Final Fantasy 7R, what's wrong with you man?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hey, just here to make a grand sweeping statement about a game I've not played. I won't be pre-ordering this game (but will probably cave on release day and buy it anyway because as a bigot I'm nothing but hypocritical).

It's not that I hate women but they don't deserve to be in my male power fantasy dominated hobby which has unfortunately become more mainstream. I'm desperately trying to keep videogames gated from newbies who will ruin it by being as obnoxious as possible. They are the weaker sex and should stick to buying shoes, doing their hair and wearing revealing clothes as bit characters in comic book adaptations made for babies but I hold up as cultural milestones anyway. All women are shallow anyway as they won't sleep with me and instead only sleep with guys that go to the gym and aren't interesting like me.

I also have nothing against gay people but think they are digusting and should be kept out of sight. They should not be in a videogame I want to buy because all videogames should only be made for people like me as I'm the one that keeps the videogame industry alive. Without me Naughty Dog would be nothing! Videogames are art but art should be beholden to restrictions imposed on it by marketing and abide by the code of the incel neckbeard fraternity. It shouldn't try to push the medium forward and stray from the status quo, that's not what art is. Naughty Dog should look to Marvel movies to see what real mainstream art is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,118 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't want to be lumped in way that crowd. My disappointment has zero to do with anyone's gender, sexual preference or skin colour. I am not one of those strange people who see red when there's a gay, black or strong female character.

It's a shít, hacky direction to take, in my opinion

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't want to be lumped in way that crowd. My disappointment has zero to do with anyone's gender, sexual preference or skin colour. I am not one of those strange people who see red when there's a gay, black or strong female character.

It's a shít, hacky direction to take, in my opinion

It may very well be (I haven't seen any suppliers), but Druckman, IMO, has done enough to at least give him the benefit of playing it first before I make any judgements.

It wouldn't be the 1st, or indeed the last, time that a sequel has failed utterly to match the expectations of customers.

People loved the 1st game so much, it is almost impossible that they can recrate that again. So the more likely outcome is that whatever they did the majority of people will be disappointed as it doesn't meet their, now years old, memories of the impact of the first game.

No matter what this is going to be a very different game. Ellie is now the main character it seems. She is older, the situation has changed somewhat (this is all taken form the trailers). And of course the gameplay itself will change. Partly because of technology, and partly because things need to be seen to change otherwise people will complain that it is nothing new!

• Advertisement
Advertisement