Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Did anyone expect anything other than Ellie to be front and centre of this? Strange that it would trigger anyone tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Folks I SWEAR I’m not buying it for plot reasons, but here’s several paragraphs of why I’m not buying it because there are women and gay characters in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

People are already aware I know, but just an extra heads up that you should pretty much ignore all comment sections on any articles you read from here on out. I forgot myself last night was having a read of the Predator: Hunting Grounds review on IGN last night, had a scroll down to the comments section as the review tore shreds out of the game and I was curious to see the responses; one of the top comments spoiled what I can only assume is the end of TLoU 2.

My own fault for forgetting the level of spoilers out in the wild, but still extremely ****ty that I had my most anticipated game of the year ruined due to something harmless I habitually do like scrolling to comments sections on reviews to take in opinions of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

goon_magee wrote: »
    People are already aware I know, but just an extra heads up that you should pretty much ignore all comment sections on any articles you read from here on out. I forgot myself last night was having a read of the Predator: Hunting Grounds review on IGN last night, had a scroll down to the comments section as the review tore shreds out of the game and I was curious to see the responses; one of the top comments spoiled what I can only assume is the end of TLoU 2.

My own fault for forgetting the level of spoilers out in the wild, but still extremely ****ty that I had my most anticipated game of the year ruined due to something harmless I habitually do like scrolling to comments sections on reviews to take in opinions of others.

no offence intended here man but your 1st mistake was IGN.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

:pac: yep, community over there is toxic. I still find them tolerable for actual reviews though depending on who is writing; they have a couple of really good journalists/reviewers still on the roster, and I still enjoy a couple of their weekly podcasts, though most have descended into juvenile nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I was going to buy it on release but now since its spoiled I'll pick it up in the bargain bin a few weeks after launch.

Indeed. However it is everywhere. I think unless someone lives in a cave they'll see all the spoilers by launch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

And so the butthurt begins. As soon as I saw what happens I was like, some people gonna be FURIOUSLY upset :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Just to be clear: any console war faux outrage / trolling will not be tolerated here or in any other thread. Consider this the one and only warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't like it and it's not for social justice reasons or anything like that. I don't wanna be lumped in with the crowd who dislike games because gay characters etc.

I just think it's shít.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Any advice on the best ways to avoid spoilers? :D I use youtube, twitch and reddit quite a bit, is there some ignore function for these sites?

Don't go into the comments tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Be wary of suggested videos in YouTube as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Any advice on the best ways to avoid spoilers? :D I use youtube, twitch and reddit quite a bit, is there some ignore function for these sites?

Yeah, delete any video related to Last of Us from your YouTube history so they don't show up in suggested videos. Avoid comments in any article on any of the game sites even if article has nothing to do with Last of Us. Don't open chat in twitch and for reddit, I've no idea if you can mute stuff

Leroy42 wrote: »

You see it as pushing an agenda, but mainly because that is how you see it. You don't infer that Drake is pushing a masculine agenda do you? Do you think he pushes a straight agenda? Or maybe a marriage agenda?

I think its very clear that Naughty Dog have been pushing an agenda for many years now in their games. Having only played many of their games in the last year I can clearly see their evolution game by game.

Wokeness when its forced is godawful. Especially in games and movies. What I will be interested to see is will any reviewers be brave enough to call it out. Or will they just keep the head down and give The Last of us 2 a 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Folks I SWEAR I’m not buying it for plot reasons, but here’s several paragraphs of why I’m not buying it because there are women and gay characters in it.
    If this was the case, do you not think people would have avoided the first one (best game of its generation imo)? This felt natural in the original game and didn't feel like here is another tick on our sjw agenda. From what I've seen of the new one, It just feels forced and its ruining the game as its shoved into the game rather than just being a natural part of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'll hold my tongue but what a load of shít.

deceit wrote: »
    its ruining the game as its shoved into the game

Now that's what I call hyperbole! The "SJW agenda" - ah, the internet!

Artists can tell whatever story they want with whatever characters they want in their games, quite frankly, and I look forward to seeing what Druckmann and co have told here (and I DON’T think the first game is the best of its generation, not by a long shot). Given the great things they did with Ellie's characterisation in Left Behind (still the best thing Naughty Dog have ever done), I'm hopeful that particular school of thoughtful storytelling continues through here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Saw a big post a couple of pages back, and i'm out. Didn't read it, but it'll be no skin off my back to ignore this thread until it's released. See ye in a few months!

Now that's what I call hyperbole! The "SJW agenda" - ah, the internet!
    If you seen the leaks I would be surprised if you would say this.
    Artists can tell whatever story they want with whatever characters they want in their games, quite frankly, and I look forward to seeing what Druckmann and co have told here (and I DON’T think the first game is the best of its generation, not by a long shot). Given the great things they did with Ellie's characterisation in Left Behind (still the best thing Naughty Dog have ever done), I'm hopeful that particular school of thoughtful storytelling continues through here.
    You are 100% correct in this but one thing they seem to forget is their customer can choose to purchase a game based on that story. It will still sell very well but I expect it will lose millions because of the story and will cause some to stop some buying their future titles. I cant say why as it would ruin the game for others but you will know what I'm talking about when you play the game.
    I bought and played every one of their titles based on the strength of the last of us and its dlc.
    I was looking forward to playing the game based on the official trailers and what was shown so far with a little bit of hesitation only because Bruce Straley and about 70% of the original staff were gone.
    Left behind was very good but I believe it would be nothing without the original game. It really added to the game and gave you a bit more about the character that you already developed a strong bond with throughout the game.

• Advertisement

I feel like I've seen different spoilers. Why are people talking about SJW stuff? That's the last thing in the world that should annoy you from what I've seen.

For me, this is up there with Game of Thrones' final season in terms of disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

J. Marston wrote: »
    I feel like I've seen different spoilers. Why are people talking about SJW stuff? That's the last thing in the world that should annoy you from what I've seen.

For me, this is up there with Game of Thrones' final season in terms of disappointment.

Because of straight white guy privilege that only they should be catered for and if they aren't the main demographic it's "sjw" horsecrap

J. Marston wrote: »

The SJW part is the only part you can speak about without spoiling things for others. (I've seen 5 of the videos leaked, I'm not sure how many more their were).
    I cant explain anything else about the story that make it awful without spoiling it. The story makes you feel like it was built so poorly to fit all of their points in though hence why I was focusing on the SJW agenda.
    I've only seen season 1 of Game of thrones so far so I couldn't comment on that comparison. I own the boxset so I really should get around to watching it.

... The story makes you feel like it was built so poorly to fit all of their points in though hence why I was focusing on the SJW agenda.
    I've only seen season 1 of Game of thrones so far so I couldn't comment on that comparison. I own the boxset so I really should get around to watching it.

I agree.

Its like they built the story with their pushed agenda at the centre of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Get woke go broke.

Because of straight white guy privilege that only they should be catered for and if they aren't the main demographic it's "sjw" horsecrap
    Yes that's it. When Ellie was the main character from the original game and no one complained about her being gay in the original??
    I guess the same people wont play horizon zero dawn 2 also based on that logic?
    I guess ghosts of tsushima will be avoided for that same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Based on leaks? And leaks from a disgruntled employee!

Naughty Dog and Neil Druckman surely have built enough credit that people are not giving up on a game without having played it first?

I didn't play TLOU until last year, so I saw plenty of spoilers. But that scene at the end of the first part start was still massive in terms of impact. And there were many more moments like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Yes that's it. When Ellie was the main character from the original game and no one complained about her being gay in the original??
    I guess the same people wont play horizon zero dawn 2 also based on that logic?
    I guess ghosts of tsushima will be avoided for that same reason.

The Ghost of Tsushima is gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Get woke go broke.

TLOU would disagree.

A male lead that was pretty much an awful person with few redeeming features and a gay girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Leroy42 wrote: »
    TLOU would disagree.

A male lead that was pretty much an awful person with few redeeming features and a gay girl.

Tbf its only been known for the last 6 years the latter was gay. :pac:

Advertisement