Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Marriage to much of a risk ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

That's ok, you're not compelled to agree with the logic.

Marriages can end easily?
    Really? How does that work?
    I'm in hell because of this marriage breakup.
    How do I make the process easier?

The logic behind my point was that some people are more inclined to behave better, before they have a ring on their finger, which improves the chances of a more sustainable relationship.

I'd appreciate if there was no more questioning of my particular personal situation. It's hard enough trying to come to terms with it and only seeing my daughter when the ex's mood facilitates it.

I'm only giving one perspective, which is valid for me because it's been my first hand experience.
    I'm not saying this is the way it is for everyone.
    If you have doubts about marriage DON'T DO IT.
    If you both have no doubts then of course DO IT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Thanks to the institution of marriage I was able to stop showering everyday and pile on the pounds.
    I've never been happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Why buy the cow, when you can have the milk for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

minikin wrote: »
    That's ok, you're not compelled to agree with the logic.

Marriages can end easily?
    Really? How does that work?
    I'm in hell because of this marriage breakup.
    How do I make the process easier?

The logic behind my point was that some people are more inclined to behave better, before they have a ring on their finger, which improves the chances of a more sustainable relationship.

I'd appreciate if there was no more questioning of my particular personal situation. It's hard enough trying to come to terms with it and only seeing my daughter when the ex's mood facilitates it.

I'm only giving one perspective, which is valid for me because it's been my first hand experience.
    I'm not saying this is the way it is for everyone.
    If you have doubts about marriage DON'T DO IT.
    If you both have no doubts then of course DO IT.

I'm not making any comment on your personal situation.

But you seem to think marriages are "safer" than relationships. They're not. Either can break up.

I can't possibly agree that people behave better without a ring on their finger, if anything I would argue the opposite.

I also made no comment on how easy it was emotionally, on either type of break up.

I'm not making any comment on your personal situation.

But you seem to think marriages are "safer" than relationships. They're not. Either can break up.

I can't possibly agree that people behave better without a ring on their finger, if anything I would argue the opposite.

I also made no comment on how easy it was emotionally, on either type of break up.

You're commenting on 'what I seem to think' as if you know better than I do about my personal situation. That's crazy.

I've just come through a marriage that's been destroyed, how could I possibly think that it's safer than any other type of relationship??

The difference with marriage is that the consequences of it ending are far from equal for the husband and wife (talking heterosexual marriage because that's my experience, rather than out of disrespect for any members of LGBT community) - in general we men get our balls severed and handed back to us with a bill for the process. Some women in marriage use this nutcracker as leverage in the relationship... always have that big gun in reserve... which can sour things, so it's not truly an equal relationship.

It's your right not to agree with the behaviour point! That doesn't mean you or I are right or wrong...

I'm not having a go at your marriage, if you are married, or your opinions on it.
    My opinions are my own and don't have any impact on you for your choices!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Some people do, some people don't.

minikin wrote: »
    You're commenting on 'what I seem to think' as if you know better than I do about my personal situation. That's crazy.

You don't seem able for someone to disagree with you without making it about yourself (as opposed to your opinions) so I'll leave it there.

Although your ball cracking comment is pure nonsense. As the higher earner in my marriage it's my balls that would be cracked in break up, not my husbands. This isn't America.

You don't seem able for someone to disagree with you without making it about yourself (as opposed to your opinions) so I'll leave it there.

Although your ball cracking comment is pure nonsense. As the higher earner in my marriage it's my balls that would be cracked in break up, not my husbands. This isn't America.

You're again making a personal attack on me saying I don't seem to be able to handle disagreement... can I point out this is a public forum, we don't know each other... I'm trying to diffuse argument by saying these are just my opinions. I don't understand why you're so invested in what I'm saying...

Again you don't seem to have got the point... in my situation I got fecked over, I'm not claiming it's in every case. That's why I prefaced it with the term "in general"

You're not involved in a breakup and hopefully never will be, I wish you a long happy life together, why involve yourself in the debate when it's immaterial to you? You're the higher earner - good for you. One swallow doesn't make a summer! I'm well aware of what country I live in, thanks buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I got married after 13 years together to make things more secure financially. I could have just not bothered, marriage never really meant that much to me. 8 years on it hasn't made any difference, we are not happier because we married but neither are we less happy. I think some posters are cynical about any kind of long term relationship, thankfully mine has been a really positive experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I think I know what I think about marriage but what do I know, tee-hee. Could some man who's never met me please tell me what I'm really thinking??

Seriously though I'd be ambivalent I guess. I'd do it if there was a good solid practical reason but not just because, and not before I'd been with someone for ages and through some tough times.

• Advertisement

......and not before I'd been with someone for ages and through some tough times.

It must have been a nightmare in my parents day to go from dating, no sex, not living together to then being married, living together, sexual relationship etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It must have been a nightmare in my parents day to go from dating, no sex, not living together to then being married, living together, sexual relationship etc....

Yep, recipe for disaster! Getting married young seems like a big risk, though fair play to the people for whom it works. Often on the relationship forums on reddit I see posts from Americans like 'I (24f) and my husband (24m) have been together for 3 years...'. I know in Ireland the age at which people get married is unusually high but anything before 25 is a serious leap in the dark I think

Yep, recipe for disaster!

Even worse before divorce!

Hard to believe the divorce referendum was so close - pretty much 50% said NO. I mean, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Currently 32. I'll be between 40 & 44 getting married. Depends on what happens at 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Hard to believe the divorce referendum was so close - pretty much 50% said NO. I mean, why?

My 92 year old widowed grandfather got out of his sickbed to vote against divorce. He was determined to follow the church's doctrine and to help 'protect' the generations that followed.
    He drove the rest of us nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I voted against it, don't see why if I married someone they have a right to half my property when it was never their property before the marriage.
    Marriage is for poor people who have nothing to lose, because a person might simply be attractive for their wealth...
    Pre-nuptial agreements are not legal, and civil marriage is not about love but about inheritance rights and tax breaks.
    Divorce just validates how marriage is just a contract that can be broken and how people can lose a lot of wealth, or gain it...by using marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

RobertKK wrote: »
    I voted against it, don't see why if I married someone they have a right to half my property when it was never their property before the marriage.
    Marriage is for poor people who have nothing to lose, because a person might simply be attractive for their wealth...
    Pre-nuptial agreements are not legal, and civil marriage is not about love but about inheritance rights and tax breaks.
    Divorce just validates how marriage is just a contract that can be broken and how people can lose a lot of wealth, or gain it...by using marriage.

You voted against divorce because you do not believe in the need for marriage?

Winterlong wrote: »
    You voted against divorce because you do not believe in the need for marriage?

I have never supported civil marriage, divorce made it a way to gain wealth by marrying tactfully..
    Civil marriage has nothing to do with love, it is about gaining rights which one can use to their advantage via divorce.

Eh, OK. So you don't agree with marriage therefore you want everyone else to stay married. Makes no sense at all but there you go, that's democracy for you.

You still haven't elucidated what the more up to date thing to be doing is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

DON'T FEED. :D:D

• Advertisement

Eh, OK. So you don't agree with marriage therefore you want everyone else to stay married. Makes no sense at all but there you go, that's democracy for you.

You still haven't elucidated what the more up to date thing to be doing is?

Do people think civil marriage which is marriage by the state means the state actually cares about your personal life?
    It just gives the state more control over your life.

We should have had a referendum to abolish civil marriage and be progressive by removing state control over what is suppose to be about two people, when you get married there is a civil bit to it, in reality there is always three entities in a marriage, - oneself, the person you married and the state who have set down laws on what is allowed if one dies or if you divorce.
    Personal agreements have no legal standing.

More and more people live together compared to the past. Civil marriage has failed despite so many people still institutionalising themselves with the state, and so many people waste lots of money on weddings.

People should like funerals have a secular non civil wedding or a religious or whatever takes their fancy and remove the state/civil element.
    Married people are no more special than single people who are discriminated against for being single.
    I know some people like it that the state can control their lives and choices, and a lot sign the line to copper fasten it.

How does the state discriminate against single people?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have never supported civil marriage, divorce made it a way to gain wealth by marrying tactfully..
    Civil marriage has nothing to do with love, it is about gaining rights which one can use to their advantage via divorce.

Civil marriage is a way to get married without all the religious stuff. A church wedding isn't a guarantee of anything. Either can be for any number of reasons. I had a civil marriage and it was very much for love, a religious ceremony wouldn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Exactly,lol there's loads of like you knewww kinda like middle classes buying big wedding,getting married to someone they hate....
    Spending the next 3 years with nothing but the light and mouldy sausages in the fridge.

Independence suits me....sure who'd have me

• Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

As far as I'm aware, there's evidence to suggest, that on average divorced men have shorter lives than batchelors. Anyway, I always remembered this joke:

Alan Harper: Hey Herb, congrats on your engagement - you know on average, married men live 8 years longer
    Herb: What if they don't want to

You must have super rich friends!! 30k+ on a wedding??

Even at the absolute height of the boom the dearest one I personally heard of was 25k.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

FYI - I've had to delete loads of posts as there was a re-reg on the rampage and I tried to clean up to the carnage caused.

Advertisement