Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Marriage to much of a risk ?

Options
  • 16-11-2016 7:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭

Me personally can never see myself tying the knot. How about you good folks of after after hours ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Me personally can never see myself tying the knot. How about you good folks of after after hours ?

People talk about romance and shoite, but marriage is really just an each way bet on who changes the others diapers.

How else will you afford the home carer when you get old? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Everything's a risk. Especially playing that boardgame,

Mousetrap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Quantify "risk".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

9or10 wrote: »
    People talk about romance and shoite, but marriage is really just an each way bet on who changes the others diapers.

How else will you afford the home carer when you get old? :D

Murder-Suicide Pact would solve that problem.

:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Quantify "risk".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Ted111 wrote: »

20% and rising...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I was the same as you OP, I was a committed lifelong single person and even when going out with girls who I really liked, as soon as they even hinted at anything more permanent, I was out of there. But then I met a girl that I didn't want to lose, we got married and have two beautiful little girls. Yeah it may have been a risk but it was worth it and I wouldn't change my life for anything now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

Too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Don't ever go swinging OP that's all im saying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

baldbear wrote: »
    Too

Anything else to contribute ? you grammar nazi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

Marriage is the best thing I ever did. I'm incredibly happy that I get to spend the rest of my life with this incredible person. Maybe I got lucky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

There's only two reasons to get married. For love and for money.

Just make sure you do it the right way round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Marriage is the best thing I ever did. I'm incredibly happy that I get to spend the rest of my life with this incredible person. Maybe I got lucky though.

What if it all go's tits up in a few years time ?

This is a very real possibility. Married or not married the relationship can still run in to difficulty and both can still decide to part ways.
    For me marriage is something I rarely think about. When I do it's a bit "yeah maybe I would" or "no I'm good"

I do wonder what it must feel like to be with the same person for years and years. That's an awful lot of sexual positions to keep things interesting.

Even if that did happen, I wouldn't regret one second of our marriage. It has brought me so much happiness.
    I think you haven't met the right person yet. When you meet that person it's all so simple. Marriage isn't a decision that you agonise over.
    The only thing that upsets me is knowing that we only have a finite amount of time together and one day we'll lose each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Were your parents married?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I work in risk and I also happen to getting married on sat. Marriage isn't too risky as long as you hedge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Can't see myself getting married although it's a nice idea. I think that human relationships, outside of family, have time limits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I do wonder what it must feel like to be with the same person for years and years. That's an awful lot of sexual positions to keep things interesting.

I think there's way more to it than that. When I look at my parents who've been together 40 odd years, I have so much respect for them and I think it's beautiful. They've a great life now and whatever it is they have, it works.
    I don't think I was cut out for that life however! I've had a couple of scrapes with marriage but at this stage in my life it's something I'm pretty sure I'd never do again. Which makes it difficult to meet someone, it seems most girls my age are still waiting for a Prince Charming to come along for a big white wedding, which is my worst nightmare!
    I still think it's worth the risk, if you and your beloved are 100% sure it's what you both want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I had a great single life then met a girl that knocked me for six.Couldnt believe she had any interest in me. Married her.

12 years later:

I'm now a 3rd child and the only risk there is comes in the form of me deciding whether to shove the chocolate wrappers and crisp packets under the couch or leave them on the coffee table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It is absolutely stone wall crazy for any man to marry a woman. You are signing away most of your savings and a chunk of your future earnings just to 'secure' one woman. It makes no sense.

I think there's way more to it than that. When I look at my parents who've been together 40 odd years, I have so much respect for them and I think it's beautiful. They've a great life now and whatever it is they have, it works.
    I don't think I was cut out for that life however! I've had a couple of scrapes with marriage but at this stage in my life it's something I'm pretty sure I'd never do again. Which makes it difficult to meet someone, it seems most girls my age are still waiting for a Prince Charming to come along for a big white wedding, which is my worst nightmare!
    I still think it's worth the risk, if you and your beloved are 100% sure it's what you both want :)

Of course there is. I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Like you a big white wedding is not something I want and I don't believe in Prince Charming. That's the thing, I don't believe in 'oh you haven't met the right person'. Marriage is for some people and it's not for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It is absolutely stone wall crazy for any man to marry a woman. You are signing away most of your savings and a chunk of your future earnings just to 'secure' one woman. It makes no sense.

Not if you have fcuk all.

You can't take knickers off a bare arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Have you considering using Internet Relationship Providings?

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Can't see myself getting married although it's a nice idea. I think that human relationships, outside of family, have time limits.

But why do family relationships not have a time limit? Because you accept your family for who they are and try to love them unconditionally.
    I don't see why the same idea can't be applied to marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Oh I definitely believe the right person - i.e. someone they are stone mad about - can make a person previously disinterested in marriage want to carry out the ritual that will make them officially family.

I do think those who are extra set against marriage definitely have not met a person whom they are crazy about... If they do, the "I'd never ever marry - it's a risk" stuff would be out the window. :)

And that doesn't have to mean a white wedding either - could be just them and witnesses in a registry office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Bear in mind that the co-habitation laws have changed here. Even if you never tie the knot, a lot of legal stuff kicks in after 5 years (3 if you've children). The most ominous one being property rights...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Seriously does anyone else think that staying with one person for 40+ years is not normal or is it just me. I think in the confines of marriage we should be allowed stray outside every so often. That's just my opinion.

Flimpson wrote: »
    Oh I definitely believe the right person - i.e. someone they are stone mad about - can make a person previously disinterested in marriage want to carry out the ritual that will make them officially family.

I do think those who are extra set against marriage definitely have not met a person whom they are crazy about... If they do, the "I'd never ever marry - it's a risk" stuff would be out the window. :)

And that doesn't have to mean a white wedding either - could be just them and witnesses in a registry office.

Why do you assume that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

What if it didn't?

I'd prefer to regret the things I did rather than the things I'd wished I'd done.

For me, marriage was the obvious thing to do from a legal standpoint, a financial standpoint (tax benefits) and at the end of the day, he's the only man I've ever loved and my life would be crappy without him.

Advertisement