Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O Neill on rape culture.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    People who don't think there's a rape culture in Ireland are completely deluded.

Yeah myself and the lads are going on a bit of a raping binge tomorrow night. Out for dinner and a few quiet drinks first. Local guards just said to wear some high vis and don't spare the cable ties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Capoeira Method

Grayson wrote: »
    I don't think we're that bad but we're not perfect. I'm 40 and in my lifetime I've seen a lot of change in the attitudes towards rape. Thankfully now it's actually possible to rape a woman in a marriage (That sounds really bad) whereas before it didn't exist as a crime.

We're not perfect yet but we have come a hell of a long way in the last few decades.

Interestingly enough a woman can't be convicted of raping her husband as it's not a crime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

Wibbs wrote: »
    Neither do I for the most part URL, but when this same eejit - and she's not alone - suggests that rape claimants shouldn't ever be doubted, even questioned it starts to get more than a little scary. Can you imagine this insane "logic" applied to any other crime?

If you ever meet someone who holds that opinion, just tell them they have the same views as 19th century Southerners who lynched blacks. Should shut them up pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

When Pac1Man looks out his window, he doesn't see any raping going on. He has come to the conclusion that these movements, warriors from the right and left, new-fangled cultures etc. must only exist on the internet.

This pleases Pac1Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Interestingly enough a woman can't be convicted of raping her husband as it's not a crime.

Sexual assault is a crime that can carry the same upper sentence limit as 'rape'.

Saying that it's not a crime for a female to 'rape' a male is bull****. It most certainly is a crime, and can carry the same penalties.

The only thing you're basing your view on is historic legalese. Though having said that, it's what many out-of-touch judges base theirs on too. And there's not much interest in having certain legal definitions updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 PoorAuldDivil

A cousin of mine (a very quiet, passive young man) was the subject of a rape complaint. His ex-girlfriend (who he had broken up with the week before) was found roughed up in a local park, went to Guards and said that he had beat her and raped her. He was naturally brought in for questioning, and found himself absolutely baffled at what he was accused of. Luckily, the Gardai saw through the story easily and she quickly confessed.........fell on the way home from a night out, rang her friends, thought she'd get one over on him. Nothing ever happened to her for this, and his name was dragged through the mud. This happened in a town in Munster in 2014.

The fact that O'Neill and her type would have seen my cousin thrown in Cork Gaol at the unquestioned word of a woman leaves me extremely weary of anything these 'feminists' pontificate.

Sexual assault is a crime that can carry the same upper sentence limit as 'rape'.

Saying that it's not a crime for a female to 'rape' a male is bull****. It most certainly is a crime, and can carry the same penalties.

The only thing you're basing your view on is historic legalese. Though having said that, it's what many out-of-touch judges base theirs on too. And there's not much interest in having certain legal definitions updated.

A woman can not legally rape a man in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Paddies day is great craic. Me and just me paddies hat on chasing the women's down the street. How more cultured can ya get. Be jaysus.

South Africa has a rape culture. Ireland does not. Does rape happen in Ireland, yes unfortunately but that doesn't mean there is a rape culture.

Think rape culture is different to rape.

I mean, rape is rape. Rape culture is the whole depiction or representation of women in a crude or vulgar way as being simply sexual objects, hence from language like "I'd smash her back door in" to dick pics to the inability of some men to understand the word "no" (I don't mean in the context of sex, but even in bars or clubs where you see fellows after a few drinks going for the whining or abusive approach once a woman has made it clear she's not interested).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Read that back to yourself

• Advertisement

I mean, rape is rape. Rape culture is the whole depiction or representation of women in a crude or vulgar way as being simply sexual objects, hence from language like "I'd smash her back door in" to dick pics to the inability of some men to understand the word "no" (I don't mean in the context of sex, but even in bars or clubs where you see fellows after a few drinks going for the whining or abusive approach once a woman has made it clear she's not interested).

Can you define rape culture, what is it, what determines if it exists? It seems quite arbitrary to look many things to rape culture. Do we have murder culture? Just the other day I heard someone say they could murder a pint.

Read that back to yourself

If you have a point then make it.

A cousin of mine (a very quiet, passive young man) was the subject of a rape complaint. His ex-girlfriend (who he had broken up with the week before) was found roughed up in a local park, went to Guards and said that he had beat her and raped her. He was naturally brought in for questioning, and found himself absolutely baffled at what he was accused of. Luckily, the Gardai saw through the story easily and she quickly confessed.........fell on the way home from a night out, rang her friends, thought she'd get one over on him. Nothing ever happened to her for this, and his name was dragged through the mud. This happened in a town in Munster in 2014.

The fact that O'Neill and her type would have seen my cousin thrown in Cork Gaol at the unquestioned word of a woman leaves me extremely weary of anything these 'feminists' pontificate.

How is she not in jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PoorAuldDivil

Dr Jakub wrote: »
    How is she not in jail?

The whole lie lasted less than a week. If it had gone to court, she may well have been prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's a bit of a stretch to say she'd want an innocent man thrown in prison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

**NEWSFLASH** - SOME people who behave like arseholes does not a "rape culture" make. However, what it does is just show you who is an arsehole, and who isnt. And it applies equally to women too.

**NEWSFLASH** - SOME people who behave like arseholes does not a "rape culture" make. However, what it does is just show you who is an arsehole, and who isnt. And it applies equally to women too.

But is it not rape culture amongst those arseholes?

I mean, I don't think the claim is that all of society subscribes to rape culture, more that it is a trait that is more evident amongst an element in society?

I can't say I know women who promote rape culture, but I do know some who get dick pics, lots of very intimidatory attention etc. and they just seem to pass it off as something that many men do. So they can be said to tolerate rape culture.

The whole lie lasted less than a week. If it had gone to court, she may well have been prosecuted.

Guards should have charged her, she could have ruined your cousin's life. Surely there's a law against falsely accusing people of rape?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

The worst thing is that her fans wont debate anything..theyre either sarcastic or rude that you have a different opinion. When you back them into a corner they just stop conversing..its almost a they vs us sceniro

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

Rape culture is a far too loaded phrase to describe what you're referring to imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

She could have been prosecuted for making false accusations (I think this falls under perverting the course of justice) and wasting police time.

He would be entitled to take a tort action against her for slander.

I mean, I don't think the claim is that all of society subscribes to rape culture, more that it is a trait that is more evident amongst an element in society?

I can't say I know women who promote rape culture, but I do know some who get dick pics, lots of very intimidatory attention etc. and they just seem to pass it off as something that many men do. So they can be said to tolerate rape culture.

It's like saying goth culture doesn't exist in Ireland because it's not huge. It's there, hanging around outside the central bank.

rape culture is in Ireland does exist. The question is how serious and widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

A woman can not legally murder a man in Ireland either.
    Fecking patriarchal society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Nope. Its arsehole culture among arseholes. Its as old as the hills. "Rape" culture implies you would actually need some like-minded individulas to band together to commit rapes, and try to pass this off as "ok". This is not happening.

tonygun wrote: »
    Rape culture is a far too loaded phrase to describe what you're referring to imo

I think it's a pretty good term, whoever came up with it. It encapsulates the whole aggression, degradation and intimidation involved in the objectification. There is no concern as to whether the woman wants to be backed into a corner and pawed, language like smashing her back door in implies violence and certainly does not suggest that consent or mutual affection is an issue etc.

From my own observation, the type of people who believe that there is a 'rape culture' in Ireland tend to be *extremely* hesitant to criticize any country that isn't European/European-background (USA, Australia etc).

This. It's like a sick joke. Girl who was raped gets stoned to death in some primitive part of Pakistan? Yes, but the real issue is those Irish lads in college who said mean things about women on Whatsapp.

"Rape" culture implies you would actually need some like-minded individulas to band together to commit rapes. This is not happening.

It doesn't to me anyway. Though do know some of the finest proponents of rape culture in my locality have been accused of a nice line in plying women with drink and drugs at parties and then having sex with them with others egging them on, so there certainly can be a crossover where rape culture and rape per se meet.

Dr Jakub wrote: »
    This. It's like a sick joke. Girl who was raped gets stoned to death in some primitive part of Pakistan? Yes, but the reall issue is those Irish lads in college who said mean things about women on Whatsapp.

That's a bit hysterical isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

I watched the show but Louise O'Neill was off putting. One would never think men experienced sexual assault from watching her show. At one point she was being shown around the Central Criminal courtroom by a liaison officer and she said she described it as visceral and traumatic...now she wasn't saying it from the viewpoint of a rape victim, she herself felt like that just being shown around. I thought to myself "get a grip"...you're presenting a tv show. I felt it all evolved around her, she was even crying in a bar at the end, dabbing her eyes with a napkin. Perhaps she thought it would make her appear empathetic but to me it seemed all for the camera and bringing it back to her.

The woman who spoke about her ex-boyfriend receiving a suspended sentence for repeatedly raping her as she slept was very articulate, I would have preferred to listen to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Grayson wrote: »
    That's a bit hysterical isn't it?

The belief that there is a rape culture in Ireland is a bit hysterical so I wouldn't be throwing stones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement