Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O Neill on rape culture.

Options
  • 04-11-2016 5:48pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

She presented a documentary on rape culture during the week on RTE which focused on the issue of sexual assault against females. It's interesting to note her response to a (male) follower would tweeted that it would be hilarious to see a remake of Deliverance featuring "pissed up dickheads on a drunken stag". For anyone who's not seen the movie Deliverance its about three city dwellers who go for a weekend fishing to what could be described as a backwoods community. Central to the storyline is when they are held captive and one of them raped by a bunch of rednecks.

https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/794195404145442816

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its Friday.
    Jaysus.

..... so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I didn't watch the show but I am aware of her profile on twitter, which up until very recently had her bio as "Feminist, Author, Misandrist" or something to that affect. Don't really see how that helps anyone in this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PoorAuldDivil

I understand grievances that a lot of these people have (even though I disagree that there is an overarching 'culture' of rape in Irish society, and believe that they're just aping Americans online). There is a lot of taboo and close-mindedness towards all forms (male on male, female on male etc) of sexual assault.

.......that said, the people who campaign for these causes (at least the 'men despise women' part) are very unlikable. Case in point Miss O'Neill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

For anyone who's not seen the movie Deliverance its about three city dwellers who go for a weekend fishing to what could be described as a backwoods community.
    It's like when I venture into After Hours and become the victim of visual rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

jacksie66 wrote: »
    People who think there's a rape culture in Ireland are completely deluded.
    SB_Part2 wrote: »
    People who don't think there's a rape culture in Ireland are completely deluded.

You were told there jacksie66

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

If the aim was to get through to young men and have them at least think about the discussion, then having the doc on a Champions League night was really awful scheduling by RTE....

What were they thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

People who don't think there's a rape culture in Ireland are completely deluded.

Ignorance is bliss eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Personally I love "rape day" when we all go out and celebrate our culture.

...And the "rape exhibit" in the art gallery is well worth a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss eh?

Explain to us why you think that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Zulu wrote: »
    Personally I love "rape day" when we all go out and celebrate our culture.

...And the "rape exhibit" in the art gallery is well worth a visit.

I don't think we're that bad but we're not perfect. I'm 40 and in my lifetime I've seen a lot of change in the attitudes towards rape. Thankfully now it's actually possible to rape a woman in a marriage (That sounds really bad) whereas before it didn't exist as a crime.

We're not perfect yet but we have come a hell of a long way in the last few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

When I hear the term "rape culture" the last place I think of is Ireland. What about Ethiopia, India or the Congo where there's an actual rape culture?
    Not to say rape doesn't occur here but to say that there is a culture of it, IMO is totally false.

It's an epidemic in South Africa. Imagine being a woman or girl over there....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PoorAuldDivil

From my own observation, the type of people who believe that there is a 'rape culture' in Ireland tend to be *extremely* hesitant to criticize any country that isn't European/European-background (USA, Australia etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

When I hear Rape Culture I think Hells Angels MC in the 1970s.

Not everyday decent Irish blokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In the Appalachians that's courtin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Isn't Deliverance the one with the Duelling Banjos?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

South Africa has a rape culture. Ireland does not. Does rape happen in Ireland, yes unfortunately but that doesn't mean there is a rape culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

So if a guy is drunk & a girl gets him into bed can he cry rape the next day?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Can anyone give a clear definition of what "rape culture" actually entails?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

darkdubh wrote: »
    Can anyone give a clear definition of what "rape culture" actually entails?

Last time I saw this asked the asker was told to research it themselves, and given a very vague link from some whiney SJW.

I'd expect the same here if you get an answer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It's just a roundabout way of saying "all men are rapists."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

*pulls up chair, gets popcorn*. OK then you made the claim, back it up then.

O'Neill is a mirror to that right wing Milo eejit, a professional agent provocateur and in her and her ilk's case a victimhood promoter. Women are always agentless victims and it is always men's fault. That sums up her philosophy* and much of modern feminist thought. Seriously pick any opinion piece of hers and pass it through that statement and it fits Every. Single. Time.

*My hair itches to even use that word and lump her in with Kant or Aristotle.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I just can't take this shit seriously any more. It's not worth the discussion because the only people in it tend to be those unwilling to have their minds changed in any way.

There's a culture of rape in South Africa... not in Ireland

Calling whatever 'culture' it is that exists here, 'rape' culture is just completely ignorant and pretentious. Some people have used teabagging in video games as an example of how rampant this rape culture is. Seriously... teabagging

I just can't take this shit seriously any more. It's not worth the discussion because the only people in it tend to be those unwilling to have their minds changed in any way.

There's a culture of rape in South Africa... not in Ireland

Calling whatever 'culture' it is that exists here, 'rape' culture is just completely ignorant and pretentious. Some people have used teabagging in video games as an example of how rampant this rape culture is. Seriously... teabagging
    According to the fairly well-known website 'Everyday Feminism', in cases where women tend to feel less secure on the street than men do, that tendency is sufficient to prove there is a rape culture. Street harassment (catcalling?) is also considered rape culture.

I assume even rubbishing this kind of nonsense is seen by some extremists as endorsing rape culture.

Another thing that bothers me is the blanket assumption that accusations are never false or without basis. The website I mentioned above has also claimed that supporting someone charged with rape is rape culture.

That's messed up.

We should always be sensitive when allegations of rape are made, but you can't begin by usurping the presumption of innocence as an important legal protection for all individuals in society.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I just can't take this shit seriously any more.
    Neither do I for the most part URL, but when this same eejit - and she's not alone - suggests that rape claimants shouldn't ever be doubted, even questioned it starts to get more than a little scary. Can you imagine this insane "logic" applied to any other crime?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

God what an attention seeker she is always with he hyperbole and hysterics, awful spokesperson for a very serious issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Does anyone try to culturally appropriate rape culture and if so, is this worse than rape culture itself?

/SJW universe implodes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement