Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Think Rory and Rahm would both be served better by playing with a steadier player. McIlroy/Molinari and Rahm/Garcia might be my pairings I think.

Yeah think the best strategy is to mix it up in the four balls ie. Aggressive player with a Conservative players whereas in the foursomes you want similar style players.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Think Rory and Rahm would both be served better by playing with a steadier player. McIlroy/Molinari and Rahm/Garcia might be my pairings I think.

Definitely think Rory & Molinari would be a great foursomes combo. Rory class with the longer clubs so wouldn't be penalised by the loss of distance from Molinari off the tee.

Molinari class with irons so would benefit massively from the distance gained from Rory off the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yeah think the best strategy is to mix it up in the four balls ie. Aggressive player with a Conservative players whereas in the foursomes you want similar style players.

Wouldn't have such a problem with McIlroy/Rahm in the fourballs, but definitely wouldn't play them in the Foursomes together. Need steady, accurate players for that. Molinari/Rose would be a great foursomes pairing.

I'm not really sure if this is reliable but it looks likely to me

https://twitter.com/shanebacon/status/1044242218226249728

Wouldn't have such a problem with McIlroy/Rahm in the fourballs, but definitely wouldn't play them in the Foursomes together. Need steady, accurate players for that. Molinari/Rose would be a great foursomes pairing.

True but in Rahm/Rory will likely play foursomes at some stage, best they play together or with other aggressive players. Molinari is used to playing off fairways, he wouldn't be used to being 2 fairways over.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm not really sure if this is reliable but it looks likely to me

https://twitter.com/shanebacon/status/1044242218226249728

No such thing as definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

Heading over on Sunday for the singles. Anybody know what is the story with access to the grandstands? I know they sold tickets but I'm not sure if that was all of them. Can't find anything online and this will be my first golf tourney so no real idea what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭CONSI

Think grandstands on 1 & 18 are tickets only...other are open to general access i believe, there Sat/Sun myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I thought they were all general access. That's the way it was at other Cups anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

https://twitter.com/RyderCupEurope/status/1044840240920154113

Interesting that the following possible pairs are kept together:

Rose/Sergio
    Rory/Rahm
    Poulter/Hatton

I know people are saying Rory and Rahm are too wild for Foursomes, but I don't buy that at all. Both are unbelievable golfers, and if they click on Friday morning, they are a pair you could play together 4 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

finbarrk wrote: »
    I thought they were all general access. That's the way it was at other Cups anyway.

You could definitely buy tickets for grand stands, I jut imagine it is not all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

I know people are saying Rory and Rahm are too wild for Foursomes, but I don't buy that at all. Both are unbelievable golfers, and if they click on Friday morning, they are a pair you could play together 4 times.

Totally agree with this. I suppose the only slight caveat being "if" they click on Friday morning.
    Plus, will they be hitting many drivers anyway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Russman wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. I suppose the only slight caveat being "if" they click on Friday morning.
    Plus, will they be hitting many drivers anyway ?
    The thing they have in common is a very good scrambling game. Rahm hits some unbelievable short chips and he almost expects to hole them. Rory is much the same and has a lot of experience due to his wayward approaches. ;)

The only question I have is whether Rory has the ability to talk him down out of the trees when he loses it. He certainly has the experience at the Ryder cup to do it, it'll just be interesting to see has he got the leadership abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jazthedribbler

Anyone happen to know if SKY are broadcasting the Ryder Cup in Ireland in UltraHD (UHD)? My father currently has the correct UHD setup of "Sky Q multiscreen subscription along with Sky 2TB box and an UHD ready TV". He hasn't yet bothered with standard HD but if the Ryder Cup isn't going to be broadcast in UHD then it may be time to get him an HD subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Anyone happen to know if SKY are broadcasting the Ryder Cup in Ireland in UltraHD (UHD)? My father currently has the correct UHD setup of "Sky Q multiscreen subscription along with Sky 2TB box and an UHD ready TV". He hasn't yet bothered with standard HD but if the Ryder Cup isn't going to be broadcast in UHD then it may be time to get him an HD subscription.
    I heard that they were testing it at the Ryder Cup, but I don't think it's going to be broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Rikand wrote: »
    Be some banter when this happens again

Apparently there will be no cheering on the 1st tee.. Captain's orders. Heard Poulter saying the same in an Instagram story. Shame.. would have been fairly cool with that crowd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tiger and Reed looks like happening...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Tiger and Reed looks like happening...

Surely Reed will go with speith, bubba with Webb Simpson, DJ and Brooks, Rickie and JT, tiger with Bryson and Finau with Philly mic.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

HighLine wrote: »
    Apparently there will be no cheering on the 1st tee.. Captain's orders. Heard Poulter saying the same in an Instagram story. Shame.. would have been fairly cool with that crowd.

Boooo!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

HighLine wrote: »
    slave1 wrote: »
    Boooo!

Isn't it irons of the first tee for most, just doesn't have the same effect as Driver

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

If Carlsberg and Mastercard did sporting days it would probably be priceless....

First Tee, dog legs right a bit, then they play the 2nd from the high tee in front of the far off stand, Par 3 to the green with the shadow on it left of screen (Sergio dumped his in the water yuck) 3rd Tee is behind the stand on the left of picture .
    15th and 18th finished off camera to the right, and 9th green is off camera to the left.

Poulter was in exceptional form yesterday. He came along the path to the First Tee waving a European scarf, everyone cheering, then he saw some young kid in the crowd went over and wrapped it round them... nice touch I thought.

20180926_095011 - Copy (2).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

can someone tell me what time the first groups are off at tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

7.10 Irish time

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Argh I don't know.
    Sure up to a few rounds you will learn stuff about a course, but after that not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Seve OB wrote: »
    Argh I don't know.
    Sure up to a few rounds you will learn stuff about a course, but after that not really.

Agree with this.
    Especially in matchplay as opposed to strokeplay. These guys play somewhere different every week and are pretty much used to being given a yardage, picking a target and pulling the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

Article

Europe lagging way behind in the pranks competition anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

C'mon Jim,

Announce the teams to play tomorrow morning.
    FFS get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

dball wrote: »
    C'mon Jim,

Announce the teams to play tomorrow morning.
    FFS get on with it

It's like he is about to announce he will be running for president.

• Advertisement

Dragging the arse out of it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement