Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Options
1545556575860»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

So it’s unlikely Phil will ever be a Ryder captain then ! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

GreeBo wrote:
    I think he was just being honest..."I have no interest in playing 'accuracy' golf" anymore.

GreeBo wrote:
    and I think he has earned that right tbh.

I said 'loser talk' as opposed to being a loser. I don't know, I always thought golf was an accuracy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    So it’s unlikely Phil will ever be a Ryder captain then ! Lol

He probably will but he doesn't deserve it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pints?

He said he wont play tournaments with rough like that anymore. Will he stick to his word and not play in another US Open? Doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,035 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pdoghue wrote: »
    I said 'loser talk' as opposed to being a loser. I don't know, I always thought golf was an accuracy game.

Golf is a distance game 90% of the time these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Golf is a distance game 90% of the time these days.
    Distance coupled with accuracy surely? Going off line usually sacrifices distance as well as shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Nah, the default nowadays is to hit it as far as you can, find it, and then hit a shorter iron to the green.

John Daly used to advocate “bomb and hack” on the basis that he preferred to hit a wedge from the rough rather than a 6 iron from the fairway.

PGA Tour courses tend to be wide open and set up for a lot of birdies.

As a result, guys like Bubba etc get found out on a course like Le Golf National.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Nah, the default nowadays is to hit it as far as you can, find it, and then hit a shorter iron to the green.

John Daly used to advocate “bomb and hack” on the basis that he preferred to hit a wedge from the rough rather than a 6 iron from the fairway.

PGA Tour courses tend to be wide open and set up for a lot of birdies.

As a result, guys like Bubba etc get found out on a course like Le Golf National.
    I wouldn't disagree with you when we're talking PGA tour. But that's not all the golf played in the world. As the US team found out. :)

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I wouldn't disagree with you when we're talking PGA tour. But that's not all the golf played in the world. As the US team found out. :)

Hence "90% of the time"...

Like it or not, the money is available on bomb it courses so thats where the skill in the game is going/gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Westwood has ruled himself out of captaining in 2020, stating he prefers to captain at home in 2022, all but guarantees Harrington being captain next time round...Absolutely chuffed, and hopefully be a player/captain too ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭CONSI

Poulter & Tiger to be captains in 2026 in adare, 8 years away, both will be nearly 50

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

CONSI wrote: »
    Poulter & Tiger to be captains in 2026 in adare, 8 years away, both will be nearly 50

G Mac has previously stated that he would like to be considered for the captaincy in 2026 if Adare Manor stages the Cup that year. I think he might just get the knod.

...Westwood has ruled himself out of captaining in 2020, stating he prefers to captain at home in 2022, all but guarantees Harrington being captain next time round...Absolutely chuffed, and hopefully be a player/captain too ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜...

When was the last time that a Ryder Cup team had a player captain? Not in my lifetime anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

G Mac has previously stated that he would like to be considered for the captaincy in 2026 if Adare Manor stages the Cup that year. I think he might just get the knod.

Big list of names ahead of Gmac. The problem with the recent European Success you have a Q of Potential Captains.

2020/2022/2024/2026 Adare?

3 Ryder Cups till Adare Possibly. Most recent captains have been in the 45-50 last few years before the seniors bracket

2020 Looks Like Harrington is the front Runner
    2022 Westwood already pushing for the easyer home tie

2024 In USA -

Stenson-48
    Rose 46
    Donald 46
    Sergio 44
    Poulter 48

Would all be ahead of Gmac in my book unfortunately

I dont see Stenson getting it, probably Poulter but Donald is a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

When was the last time that a Ryder Cup team had a player captain? Not in my lifetime anyway.

Mark James got pretty close and was in the top 10 with about 2 months to go. Thankfully he got edged out towards the finish and then boastfully said :: " Well, even if I had qualified, I wouldnt have played anyways...." hoping everyone would have forgotten that he intended to be a playing captain a few months previous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Ronney wrote: »
    Big list of names ahead of Gmac. The problem with the recent European Success you have a Q of Potential Captains.

2020/2022/2024/2026 Adare?

3 Ryder Cups till Adare Possibly. Most recent captains have been in the 45-50 last few years before the seniors bracket

2020 Looks Like Harrington is the front Runner
    2022 Westwood already pushing for the easyer home tie

2024 In USA -

Stenson-48
    Rose 46
    Donald 46
    Sergio 44
    Poulter 48

Would all be ahead of Gmac in my book unfortunately

Not convinced I'd have some of those ahead of Gmac to be honest. Winning the US Open will carry a lot of weight, along with a number of wins in America.
    Yet another Irish captain in a short time after McGinley, Clarke and, presumably Harrington, might go against him though.

Russman wrote: »
    Not convinced I'd have some of those ahead of Gmac to be honest. Winning the US Open will carry a lot of weight, along with a number of wins in America.
    Yet another Irish captain in a short time after McGinley, Clarke and, presumably Harrington, might go against him though.

Really, who would you have him ahead of?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Ronney wrote: »
    Really, who would you have hi ahead of?

IMO, definitely Poulter and Donald for starters. Not a slight on either of them, but with a similar amount of wins, including a Major, I think that edges it for me.

No doubt when the time comes Kaymer will be in the mix too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

IMO, definitely Poulter and Donald for starters. Not a slight on either of them, but with a similar amount of wins, including a Major, I think that edges it for me.

If it comes down to either Poulter or McDowell for captaincy Poulter will definitely get it, he's Mr. Ryder cup afterall

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Really;

Poulter has a huge Ryder cup record/presence and Donald former World No.1.

In fairness Donald and Mcdowell have similar Ryder Cup records.

For the record I think McDowell would be a good captain I just think the next ten year has an abundance of candidates.

(not even considering Karlsson/Jimminez who have been vice a few times)

I wonder is it out of the question that Bjorn, McGinley, Monty etc. might be tempted to have another crack at the captaincy? I know there has been no multi time European captain since Bernard Gallacher back in the 1990s but as far as I am aware there is no rule against someone doing it more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Wasnt Monty not canvassing for votes the year McGinley did it.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Wasnt Monty not canvassing for votes the year McGinley did it.

Not sure about that, possibly he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

He was yea

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Open to correction but I think what happened in 2014 is that McGinley was very much the early favorite (v Clarke) but when the US named Tom Watson as captain, there was a feeling among some that Europe needed to respond with a more decorated rival and somewhere in the wash, Monty’s name came into the reckoning. Something along those lines anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

Stenson and Poulter would definitely be strong opposition for GMac. I think Sergio might still be in contention to make the team in 2026 and Rose likewise. I know Donald was world number one, but I don't see him as a strong candidate for Ryder Cup captaincy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

Did anyone sign up for NOW TV.

Today is the day to cancel it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

https://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2018/11/27/government-intensifies-ryder-cup-talks-with-european-tour

A decision on whether Adare Manor will host the Ryder Cup in 2026, will be made early in the new year, according to European Tour CEO Keith Pelley.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Advertisement