Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Rikand wrote: »
    Thought for sure that Sergio would feature in the fourballs, rather than the foursomes

No guarantee that Garcia will play at all tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,350 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

No guarantee that Garcia will play at all tomorrow.

Seems a major leak to bring an experienced player and then not play him

Especially when he just needs 2.5 points to equal the all time points record

Seems a major leak to bring an experienced player and then not play him

Especially when he just needs 2.5 points to equal the all time points record

Past achievements mean little if his current form is not great. TBH I was surprised that Bjorn picked Garcia for the team in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Past achievements mean little if his current form is not great. TBH I was surprised that Bjorn picked Garcia for the team in the first place.

Yeah but now that he's picked him he has to back him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

all these celebrity and ex captain things are a load of nonsense

But - I guess you do get to see the course.

Unusual course.

• Advertisement

If Garcia is still way off his game there is no point compounding the mistake(gamble) of bringing him by playing him. I'm not saying that is the case but he should sit it out till sunday if so

all these celebrity and ex captain things are a load of nonsense

But - I guess you do get to see the course.

Unusual course.

These lads are a little annoying but its a nice close up look at 9 holes of the course if such a thing floats your boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oigM1p7WRNc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Why are they playing the fourballs in the morning and the foursomes in the afternoon,I thought it was traditionally the other way around.
    Starting with fourballs is a big advantage for the yanks.

If Garcia is still way off his game there is no point compounding the mistake(gamble) of bringing him by playing him. I'm not saying that is the case but he should sit it out till sunday if so

Finished 7th in Portugal last week. I'd say his form is alright.

Remaining players who havent played in the morning are Stenson, Noren, Sergio and Poulter

Presume Stenson and Noren are a ready made pairing - Scandi power. Could they put the postman with Sergio for foursomes ? A fiery pairing, try and ignite some passion!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,686 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Thought it would be Garcia and Rahm. Spaniards normally spark off each other

• Advertisement

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Thought it would be Garcia and Rahm. Spaniards normally spark off each other

True, could be

Garcia Rahm (spanish)
    McIlroy Poulter (fire)
    Stenson Rose (Old reliables)
    Noren Molinari (Molinari too steady not to play in foursomes surely)

Remaining players who havent played in the morning are Stenson, Noren, Sergio and Poulter

Presume Stenson and Noren are a ready made pairing - Scandi power. Could they put the postman with Sergio for foursomes ? A fiery pairing, try and ignite some passion!

Rik - you think Garcia has been in form all his life :D

These lads are a little annoying but its a nice close up look at 9 holes of the course if such a thing floats your boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oigM1p7WRNc

The course reminds me of a hyper version of Killeen Castle or Castlemartyr with water.
    A bit of Monty mixed with Heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Why are they playing the fourballs in the morning and the foursomes in the afternoon,I thought it was traditionally the other way around.
    Starting with fourballs is a big advantage for the yanks.

Interesting question. Not 100% but I think Europe always start with 4balls while the US go with 4somes. Don’t know what the reason is for that, Europe traditionally have dominated the 4balls so perhaps it has suited them to go that way. But not sure about it to be honest, may just be a tradition thing.

Not exactly the strongest field that has ever been in a European Tour event. Garcia has not really been in contention in a tournament with real quality in the field since his Masters win in 2017. Born is gambling that, having picked him for the Cup, he will be able to find some of his old form .I just hope he will not live to regret his gamble.

Ah ya i mean he could be fine i was kinda just musing.

If they can work it that nearly all sergios as shots are irons either off the tee or from the fairway i say go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ormondman

Interesting question. Not 100% but I think Europe always start with 4balls while the US go with 4somes. Don’t know what the reason is for that, Europe traditionally have dominated the 4balls so perhaps it has suited them to go that way. But not sure about it to be honest, may just be a tradition thing.

The home captain decides before the event starts whether the fourball or foursomes matches are played in the morning. He may choose a different order for the two days - according to Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I'm going 2-2 in the morning

Europe to win 1st and 2nd
    USA to win 3rd and 4th

True, could be

Garcia Rahm (spanish)
    McIlroy Poulter (fire)
    Stenson Rose (Old reliables)
    Noren Molinari (Molinari too steady not to play in foursomes surely)

Actually looking at this mornings practice pairings as a foursomes practice he could stick noren with Sergio as they were today

Rory was with poulter today. Rose, Stenson another. He could then do molinari with mick Fleetwood

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think Poulter isn’t playing fourball as it’s a bombers USA team and he just can’t compete.

Great playing in first but also a lot of pressure. More accuracy in foresome.

Don’t expect to see woods in afternoon. He is still prone to the wild one off the tee so can get away in fourball but less so in foresome and can’t see him playing twice in a day in case something doesn’t hold up

Surprised no blubber this morning.

All pressure on Europe to hang in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The security checks on the US team was gas, if not bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Be doing well to have a crowd in for the start. Queues off the train to get shuttle buses is massive. Bit of a joke really

Trampas wrote: »
    I think Poulter isn’t playing fourball as it’s a bombers USA team and he just can’t compete.

It's not a bombers course so I don't think that's a factor at all.

Atmosphere building, can't beat a good viking clap.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Not a tee ball hit and already 2 lads in kerry jerseys have been located.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Fair play to Rahm.. got the crowds behind him and hits it straight down the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Finau in a spot of bother, Rose great shot

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

and so it begins. hon Europe.

Serious stuff from Rahm

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Not a tee ball hit and already 2 lads in kerry jerseys have been located.

Tipperary and Limerick jerseys spotted also!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

What a miss from DJ

Advertisement