Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

f@steddie wrote: »
    Because in 2014 they picked the team a couple of weeks before the Ryder cup. Billy Horschel then finished 2nd, 1st, 1st but wasn't on the team. They wanted to avoid that happening again by leaving one pick as late as possible.

If the player wasn't in great form it could affect them but as Finau is playing great stuff I don't see it being a problem for him.

I think there should be a cut off date and both captains should have to make there picks on the same day.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

I think there should be a cut off date and both captains should have to make there picks on the same day.

Why? Surely each team can decide how they pick their teams and work the schedule to give themselves the best chance of getting the best team out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

slave1 wrote:
    This is by far the best US team I’ve ever seen, the depth is unreal, I can see all players getting out every day without any weak pairing

We'll see how they perform under pressure but yes, they look stronger and I'm not confident about some on the European side. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong but I suspect Hatton will fold like a cheap suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

slave1 wrote: »
    This is by far the best US team I’ve ever seen, the depth is unreal, I can see all players getting out every day without any weak pairing

True, but it is probably one of the best, if not the best European team ever as well. I think its going to be a tight Cup, maybe a USA win alright but maybe not the hammering some may think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Oh God I'd love to agree with you, I really would but I would not rank this among the best Euro team but anyhow, lets see what happens on the turf!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Oh God I'd love to agree with you, I really would but I would not rank this among the best Euro team but anyhow, lets see what happens on the turf!

Where do you see Europe being weak?

Ok we have 5 rookies, but they are Rahm, Fleetwood, Hatton, Noren, Olesen

All are far from green behind the ears, Olesen is probably the only one id be concerned about but being Danish id expect him to perform.

I wouldn't be too confident in Simpson, Bubba, Mickleson, and take into account Tigers record they are far from unbeatable, Dustin has some woman problems, Spieths form is not good at all.....

i think Europe will perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Where do you see Europe being weak?

Ok we have 5 rookies, but they are Rahm, Fleetwood, Hatton, Noren, Olesen

All are far from green behind the ears, Olesen is probably the only one id be concerned about but being Danish id expect him to perform.

I wouldn't be too confident in Simpson, Bubba, Mickleson, and take into account Tigers record they are far from unbeatable, Dustin has some woman problems, Spieths form is not good at all.....

i think Europe will perform.

Has he? not the first time with him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The other strength for Europe is the course. It's very tight and punishing if you go off line. Phil could have a nightmare there, among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

f@steddie wrote: »
    Because in 2014 they picked the team a couple of weeks before the Ryder cup. Billy Horschel then finished 2nd, 1st, 1st but wasn't on the team. They wanted to avoid that happening again by leaving one pick as late as possible.

If the player wasn't in great form it could affect them but as Finau is playing great stuff I don't see it being a problem for him.

so therefore, delay picking the 4 until such time. I've no issue when they make their picks. it just doesn't make sense to pick 3 one week and then pick another the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I like that idea.

press conference together, each call the names one by one... add to the drama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,579 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Got my tickets today ,very plain looking things and no photos on any of them .
    Anyone else have their photos on them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

We’ve been out at the course the past week or so, it looks great. Lots of trees and gorse removes, if it stays dry it will be quite linksy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Benildus wrote: »
    Has he? not the first time with him

Rumoured split with Paulina Gretzky.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Rumoured split with Paulina Gretzky.

Its all over the tabloids anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jordan spieth the only member of team america not to make it to East Lake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Russman

Two great looking teams on paper alright, but I just can't help but feel the US one is a good deal stronger.
    I'd agree with the earlier post about some possible concerns about Simpson, Bubba & Phil, but to be honest I'd have concerns about a good few of ours too, especially the wildcards. Too many of the Euros (even the good ones) are iffy with the putter IMO.

Russman wrote:
    Two great looking teams on paper alright, but I just can't help but feel the US one is a good deal stronger. I'd agree with the earlier post about some possible concerns about Simpson, Bubba & Phil, but to be honest I'd have concerns about a good few of ours too, especially the wildcards. Too many of the Euros (even the good ones) are iffy with the putter IMO.

Some of the European team are great with the putter - Rahm and Hatton can throw it as far as anyone.

First Up wrote: »
    Some of the European team are great with the putter - Rahm and Hatton can throw it as far as anyone.

Today's winner of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I have a spare ticket for the Sunday if anyone is interested. There are no photographs on them, they had said there would have been, but they must have changed their minds. So access won’t be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭abff

finbarrk wrote: »
    I have a spare ticket for the Sunday if anyone is interested. There are no photographs on them, they had said there would have been, but they must have changed their minds. So access won’t be a problem.

Is there a name on the ticket? And is there a danger that they might check the name against your passport or other I.D.? Just asking.

Yes, there is a name on it. I honestly don't know how strict the checks will be. But I'm surprised the photographs of each individual aren't on them, as they insisted on them ages ago. They are just an ordinary ticket now, with a barcode.

Has the schedule been released?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,176 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Has the schedule been released?

Fourballs in mornings, begins at 7.10 am our time. Then foursommes is at like 1.10 I think, possibly bit later

Perfect, I've the Friday booked off from work, can't wait.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yes, there is a name on it. I honestly don't know how strict the checks will be. But I'm surprised the photographs of each individual aren't on them, as they insisted on them ages ago. They are just an ordinary ticket now, with a barcode.

If I was living in France, I'd take a chance on there being no ID check. But it would be very frustrating to travel over there (presumably at considerable expense at this stage) and then get refused entry. Hopefully, you'll find someone willing to take the chance. It would be a shame to let the ticket go to waste.

It probably will go to waste. I have it up on Done Deal for the last few days and have just one enquiry.

It probably will go to waste. I have it up on Done Deal for the last few days and have just one enquiry.

I guess you could always bring it with you and might find a buyer over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I may be interested. I’m going Friday and Saturday but the missus comes on the Sunday for her birthday so I’ll have to somehow delay me meeting her!!!

Advertisement