Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Wallace & Cabrera-Bello would feel rightly aggrieved to be passed over in favour of Garcia, the marquee name. And Bjorn will put the spin on, "a correct blend of youth and experience..."

I agree with your sentiment, but really nobody can feel aggrieved if they haven't qualified automatically. This year I don't think there's a European player out there who's performances almost demand a pick. Whatever way you look at it, unfortunately he'll be picking 4 players from a pool where they're all much of a muchness in that its made up of guys who are probably past their best and/or guys who aren't really top end, but they made hay when the adults were over in the States playing. Slim pickings at the moment for the Euro Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Even as a massive Garcia fan, I can’t agree with him getting a pick. Just doesn’t deserve it.

I’m going with poulter, stenson, Casey and Rafa

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭paulos53

Casey and Sergio are the first 2 picks

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jeffy17

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Stenson, Poulter, Casey and Sergio. Apparantly the team has been leaked?? I'd doubt that's true.

Seems it was true

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Betting was spot on anyway. Just had a feeling he wouldn’t go all in on the vets, but turns out I was mistaken in that assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

A joke that Garcia got a pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Garcia better play well.

I would have picked Matt Wallce, he's in great form.

What it shows is that for all his claims about how tough the decision was, Bjorn had his mind fairly well made up some weeks back and the only really relevant stuff was with the automatic places. I suppose you can praise him for being decisive if nothing else, seems to be sure of his game strategy at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Garcia is very lucky to get a pick and needs to put in a good performance.

If the Dell cship wasn't a Monday finish then Rafa would have qualified automatically, which is just bizarre that they don't move the cutoff date to the Monday.

Who would he have knocked out, as a matter of interest, I assume Olesen ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Garcia better play well.

Wallace missed 4 cuts in July and 2 in August, win aside his form was disastrous, add to the fact hes a rookie, id say he had no hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You could argue that Pieters, Matt Wallace, RCB and Russell Knox would be better picks

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Strictly as a matter of form, Garcia wasn't justifiable. The optimist in me is winning the narrative, he might uncork a performance for the ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Garcia better play well.

Very surprising that Wallace was left out. I guess experience was picked over form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Strictly as a matter of form, Garcia wasn't justifiable. The optimist in me is winning the narrative, he might uncork a performance for the ages...

The one place he did show form was on this course during the summer when he really should have won the event.

Main concern for me over the European team is the putting. The match pretty much comes down to putting and for me the US have better putters

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Needs 3 points to become the all time leading points taker at Ryder Cups. Bjorn is hoping thats all the motivation he needs!

As a massive Sergio fan, I am delighted that he's there.

But he doesnt deserve to be

Wallace, RCB and Knox can all feel somewhat aggrieved imo.

Bjorn has packed the team with serial tournament winners, something the team doesnt have a huge amount of and will now somewhat match the stats of the american team

If Olesen hadnt made the team outright, I wonder would he have been picked ? Maybe as he's a fellow Dane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Wallace missed 4 cuts in July and 2 in August, win aside his form was disastrous, add to the fact hes a rookie, id say he had no hope.

I think he's won 3 of his last 15 starts though and with the win in Denmark maybe he's getting into form at just the right time.

Garcia is the safe choice I suppose, he does crap and Bjorn has the defence ah well he's a Ryder Cup legend you had to pick him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Certainly wouldn't have gone for Garcia - Wallace must be feeling pretty upset right now. Cabrera-Bello also. Hope it works out for Bjorn but I'm never a fan of picking people for a 3-day event on reputation.

• Advertisement

Not surprised he overlooked Wallace tbh. Apart from the PGA where he did fairly ok, he wasn't much of a factor in the bigger events. Outside of his 3 wins, you're talking only one other top 10. It's still a good season but it's not screaming "must pick" at me either. RCB is without question the unlucky one imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,035 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Any of the guys who are upset at not being picked only have themselves to blame.

Play well all year and get an automatic slot, otherwise suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If the Dell cship wasn't a Monday finish then Rafa would have qualified automatically, which is just bizarre that they don't move the cutoff date to the Monday.

Seems extremely harsh of Rafa, definitively deserves to be there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

Strange in '95, Harrington in 2010, Westwood and Kaymer in 2016. Loads of examples of off form veterans being picked and not doing well. Any example of an off form veteran doing well in a Ryder cup?

Garcia should never have been picked. He's playing rubbish. Cabrera Bello is in decent form and had a solid outing last time. Also, apart from this year he has a good record at the Ryder cup course and it fits his game well.

Wallace won lesser events and has missed lots of cuts. Wouldn't have went with him myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

GreeBo wrote:
    Any of the guys who are upset at not being picked only have themselves to blame.

Play well all year and get an automatic slot, otherwise suck it up.

Yep, gotta agree.

Wallace was 13th in the points rankings and 16th in the world ranking points table.

I don't see how winning one of the weakest tournaments on the year by field quality could justify a pick. Granted he's won 3 times, he hasn't been consistent enough. He'll be a player but he's not ready yet.

On top of anything else it's not ideal to have players in the team who blow very hot 10% of the time but lukewarm to cold for the rest of the year.

I feel bad for Knox, who has been left out as the next guy in line for the 2nd time in a row. Rafa is a form player with experience in the event, and within the top 12 in the rankings on both metrics. He can feel a bit unfortunate although judging by the 2 teams he might be grateful to be out of it this one time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The US picks were the next 3 in line for automatic qualification AFAIK, Euro picks much stranger

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭CONSI

Think if there weren't as many rookies qualified (5/8) then he might have gone for Knox or Rafa....he'll pair Sergio with Rahm, Poults with Fleetwood and Stenson with Noren.....Casey is solid enough and will play with Hatton....Rory and Rose and Molinari and thorbjorn...singles is where we might struggle...US team has serious quality to it

ligerdub wrote: »
    Yep, gotta agree.

Wallace was 13th in the points rankings and 16th in the world ranking points table.

I don't see how winning one of the weakest tournaments on the year by field quality could justify a pick. Granted he's won 3 times, he hasn't been consistent enough. He'll be a player but he's not ready yet.

On top of anything else it's not ideal to have players in the team who blow very hot 10% of the time but lukewarm to cold for the rest of the year.

I feel bad for Knox, who has been left out as the next guy in line for the 2nd time in a row. Rafa is a form player with experience in the event, and within the top 12 in the rankings on both metrics. He can feel a bit unfortunate although judging by the 2 teams he might be grateful to be out of it this one time.

Agree with a lot of this ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭CONSI

Is there merit in removing the captains picks alltogether and just letting the best 12 at it...

• Advertisement

f@steddie wrote: »
    Strange in '95, Harrington in 2010, Westwood and Kaymer in 2016. Loads of examples of off form veterans being picked and not doing well. Any example of an off form veteran doing well in a Ryder cup?

Garcia should never have been picked. He's playing rubbish. Cabrera Bello is in decent form and had a solid outing last time. Also, apart from this year he has a good record at the Ryder cup course and it fits his game well.

Wallace won lesser events and has missed lots of cuts. Wouldn't have went with him myself.

He wasn't a veteran at the time, but Westwood getting the nod from Woosie in 2006 is certainly interesting in the context of 2018 as it was Bjorn who lost out and made his disgust clear in very public terms. Westwood was out of the worst of his mid-career slump at that point, but he still hadnt won on tour for 3 years and he had slid nearly out of the top 50 in the world rankings. Yet for all Bjorn's fulminations Europe, as we know, went on to record a famous victory with Westy leading the charge as top points scorer. Dont know if it shaped his thinking in any way, but Bjorn maybe hoping for a history repeat with Sergio this time around.

Advertisement