Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

f@steddie wrote: »
    Strange in '95, Harrington in 2010, Westwood and Kaymer in 2016. Loads of examples of off form veterans being picked and not doing well. Any example of an off form veteran doing well in a Ryder cup?

:confused: He won 2 points in what was a 1 point victory, while it wasn't vintage Harrington I'd say he did alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd definitely have picked RCB ahead of Garcia. The fact that Garcia didn't play any of the recent events would suggest Bjorn promised him a wildcard last month which must rankle with the likes of RCB and Wallace.

In all honesty though I think Europe will struggle against this US team regardless of who was picked today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Team is set in stone now. Makes no difference who is or isn't worthy of a pick. Time to back Bjorn and Team Europe 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Team is set in stone now. Makes no difference who is or isn't worthy of a pick. Time to back Bjorn and Team Europe 100%.

That's far too reasonable a point to be making on an online forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

NDWC wrote: »
    would suggest Bjorn promised him a wildcard last month..

Would have went with rafa, poulter, roadrunnner, casey

Played my heart out last weekend, just missing the win. Pisses me off that it wouldn't have even mattered :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Wonder is Sergio going to play any tournament before the Ryder cup? He has nothing to play in the US and isn’t down to play next week in the Netherlands.

He surely needs to have a few competitive rounds first. It will be nearly 2 months otherwise since his last tournament

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Wonder is Sergio going to play any tournament before the Ryder cup? He has nothing to play in the US and isn’t down to play next week in the Netherlands.

He surely needs to have a few competitive rounds first. It will be nearly 2 months otherwise since his last tournament

Probably not. I guess the spin put on that will be that Garcia will be fresh and focused on performing his best in the RC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

CONSI wrote: »
    ....he'll pair Sergio with Rahm..

LOL

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

If the idea was to pick from the next few guys in the rankings, there wouldn’t be wildcards at all and it’d just be the top 12 players who are picked.

The whole point of wildcards is to give the captain flexibility in terms of bringing guys who he’d like there but who haven’t made it for whatever reason.

The European team looks decent but there are a hell of a lot of rookies; Bjorn obviously felt that experience needed to be layered in. I would have picked Pieters, especially given how well he did last time and how well he gelled with Rory. But on balance I have no issue with the players he selected.

I did a quick mental tot and by my reckoning the US have 31 Majors to our 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

RikkFlair wrote: »
    :confused: He won 2 points in what was a 1 point victory, while it wasn't vintage Harrington I'd say he did alright.

He was carried by Ross Fisher in the doubles and lost his singles. Also, his records is poor in the Ryder cup despite playing in Europe's two biggest wins (2004, 2006).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Casey is a very surprising pick. He is as popular with his fellow pros as an outbreak of Ebola.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

f@steddie wrote: »
    He was carried by Ross Fisher in the doubles and lost his singles. Also, his records is poor in the Ryder cup despite playing in Europe's two biggest wins (2004, 2006).

"doubles"?:eek:

That won't sway many people to your opinion on a golf forum!

CONSI wrote: »
    Rory and Rose

I think thats a waste, you can only get 1 point for a win, I'd split the two lads

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Who will be the mainstays of the team?

I suspect that Tommy Fleetwood will be a sensational Ryder Cupper. Molinari should do very well too. Rose obviously. John Rahm should bring passion to the table. Rory’s one I’m not sure of...bad enough year.

I think Molinari and Rose will do well, both very solid and playing well this year.

Not sure about the rest of them, though Poulter is playing well so coupled with his Ryder Cup attitude he should do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Rose and stenson the only really obvious pairing. 4balls friday morning so bjorn might give rahm and garcia a shot together. Can see rory and poulter paired. Played together twice in 4balls and unbeaten. Hard to see the Open Champion not going out in the first session, so put him with whoevers left and bang, theres your first 4 pairings. Molinari could play with anybody but could be the man to hold Oleson's hand as he plays his 1st match.

That means youre leaving out Fleetwood Noren Casey and Tyrell. Not a bad team we have there...

Rose and stenson the only really obvious pairing. 4balls friday morning so bjorn might give rahm and garcia a shot together. Can see rory and poulter paired. Played together twice in 4balls and unbeaten. Hard to see the Open Champion not going out in the first session, so put him with whoevers left and bang, theres your first 4 pairings. Molinari could play with anybody but could be the man to hold Oleson's hand as he plays his 1st match.

That means youre leaving out Fleetwood Noren Casey and Tyrell. Not a bad team we have there...

I'd put Molinari with whoever you are not sure of in the fourball, they wont have much pressure and molinari will probably be in on every hole.

Foursomes Im not sure, a nervous guy might get more nervous playing with a steady eddie than he would with another wild man. Two wild guys are used to being in strange places, not sure Molinari is used to missing fairways...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Love to see Wallace win again this week...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'd put Molinari with whoever you are not sure of in the fourball, they wont have much pressure and molinari will probably be in on every hole.

Foursomes Im not sure, a nervous guy might get more nervous playing with a steady eddie than he would with another wild man. Two wild guys are used to being in strange places, not sure Molinari is used to missing fairways...

ive a feeling we might see Rory/Poulter off in match 1 Friday morning in 4balls.

Id love to see

Rory/Poulter
    Rose/Henrick
    Molinari/Fleetwood
    Rahm/Hatton

When you look at, Garcia, Noren, Olesen, Casey on the sidelines, it kind of makes you realise we have a pretty good team tbh.

Afternoon 4somes id try
    Molinari/Fleetwood
    Noren/Poulter
    Rory/Olesen
    Casey/Rose

Prob not 1 of those will happen, but thats why im at a keyboard and not a captain...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GreeBo wrote: »
    "doubles"?:eek:

That won't sway many people to your opinion on a golf forum!

I know of a club who till recently referred to the fourball matchplays as the doubles and mixed doubles :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I’m heading over for the Ryder Cup and bought a ticket to the Saturday.

Usually live sport is infinitely better than on TV, especially in athletics and tennis, the 2 best sports I’ve seen live.

However with golf I have an awful feeling I will miss 95% of the action by actually being there, almost a bit like being at the Tour de France rather than watching it on TV.

What tips would you give so I can get the most out of the day? I want to see great golf in the flesh but still be able to follow how the actual competition is going.

All advice from those who have attended Ryder Cups would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rahm/Hatton

If they don't kill each other, they'll kill the opposition.

I've been to watch two live golf events and I swore I'd never go to another. You miss so much that you don't miss from the couch at home.

Just not for me

Chivito550 wrote: »

However with golf I have an awful feeling I will miss 95% of the action by actually being there, almost a bit like being at the Tour de France rather than watching it on TV.

I've been to watch two live golf events and I swore I'd never go to another. You miss so much that you don't miss from the couch at home.

Just not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

Not for me either !!! I have gone to the Ryder Cup once and the Irish Open twice and I have been to the Portugal Masters five times and going again in two weeks time. Wouldn't go to a big competition again, definitely better to watch on TV. When we went to the Ryder Cup, I couldn't get over how little we saw, I was very disappointed. What I like about the Portugal Masters is there is plenty of room to actually see the golf and walk alongside the golfers. We were there for Shane Lowry's win and Padraig Harrington's win. Also, the nice weather and a few beers is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,579 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

GenuineFan wrote: »
    Not for me either !!! I have gone to the Ryder Cup once and the Irish Open twice and I have been to the Portugal Masters five times and going again in two weeks time. Wouldn't go to a big competition again, definitely better to watch on TV. When we went to the Ryder Cup, I couldn't get over how little we saw, I was very disappointed. What I like about the Portugal Masters is there is plenty of room to actually see the golf and walk alongside the golfers. We were there for Shane Lowry's win and Padraig Harrington's win. Also, the nice weather and a few beers is nice too.

Its hard work going to see major golf tournaments now .
    The ropes are generally too far back from the fairways and as a spectator you have to go the long way round to most holes and cant get proper access to others.

The Ryder Cup will have 50k spectators following 4 matches the first two days so that's on average 12,500 people following each match .
    Its too many spectators for one to get a decent view ,you have to miss certain shots to get in position for others .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I've been to plenty of live golf and always enjoyed it. It is what it is, don't expect it to be like a football match where you can see absolutely everything. But like a football match where I always find it interesting to watch players off the ball that you usually wouldn't see on TV, tracking their movements, getting into position, shouting orders at teammates etc, at a golf event, obviously it's a bit different, but watch the players get to their ball and prep for their next shot, if you are close enough (very often are) try and listen in to caddy conversations discussing tactics, distance, shot options, layup options, stuff we don't always look out for as amateurs that maybe we should,, go and watch them on the range/putting green

Interesting that you have apparently never been to see live golf before and your first time is the Ryder Cup. Probably the worst tournament to go to for watching shots point of view, but easily the best for atmosphere. I was there for every minute of it from Friday Morning right through to Sunday evening when it was on in the K Club and given the chance again I would do it every single time.

Sure you don't get to see it all or anywhere near but you can always watch it back, so you wont miss any of the golf, but you will never get to soak up the atmosphere and experience, chatting to strangers, whispers going through the crowd that Tiger is not looking good on 16 with a ball in the water and Poulter is on the green in 2, the cheers going around when Europe clinch a hole with a miraculous chip in.....but for me it's the buzz about the place, a day out, the tented village sipping a pint watching the big screen then next minute they are just over the hedge from you so you down your drink and follow the group around for a few holes then jump over to the next pairing

Just go and Enjoy it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Usually live sport is infinitely better than on TV, especially in athletics and tennis, the 2 best sports I’ve seen live.

What tips would you give so I can get the most out of the day? I want to see great golf in the flesh but still be able to follow how the actual competition is going.

Went to the RC in Gleneagles in 2014 and heading over to Paris this year (waiting on my Saturday and Sunday tickets to arrive in the post).

Gleneagles was excellent. You could buy headphones for £10. There was 2 channels on these - one was the Sky Sports coverage and the second was the on course commentary.

All the big screens on the fairways, greens, tented villages, bars etc had the Sky Sports coverage so you could always have an eye on what was happening. (The screens would go off when the players approached to avoid distraction).

Hoping something similar is set up in Paris.

You had the beauty of seeing the tv coverage while also being able to see live action.

Gleneagles was an incredible weekend, amazing atmosphere from early each morning and fantastic craic in the tented villages till' late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

You could buy headphones for £10. There was 2 channels on these - one was the Sky Sports coverage and the second was the on course commentary.
    bring an old fm radio - you should be able to tune into any FM frequency.
    or an android phone and headphones
    save the €10
    probably €20 if RC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I was Brookline, the Belfry and K Club so I can offer some advice based on experience. Enjoy the experience and the atmosphere but don't expect to see a lot of live golf.

The key thing is to plan. Study the course map and pick a couple of spots where you can watch all matches come through. Get in position well before - you can follow the action on the jumbo screens while you wait. Forget about following individual matches; there's only four out on the Friday and Saturday so the crowd is very condensed. A bit better on Sunday but not much.

Don't confine yourself to greensides. Its less congested on the fairways so pick a landing area for tee shots and watch them hit approaches.

Go to the practice days. You'll get much closer to the players and get a feel for strategy. I had a lovely chat with Sam Torrance at the Belfry on the Wednesday and he was great.

Its a long day and food can be an issue. I assume the French will cater properly but be prepared to pay. Brookline was dreadful - hot dogs and similar junk was all that was on offer. The Belfry and Straffan were better but expensive. Bring bananas, nuts and choccie bars.

Advertisement