Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2017 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    Just spotted the induction comments and wanted to offer some words to ease any worries. It sounds like your sister had a tough experience but try not to worry, baby and mum are here and that is the best outcome no matter what. It also sounds like her experience was very unusual. I was not induced but put on a drip when merconium had showed in my waters after they had broke, I was already 5 cm at that point. The drip didnt agree with baby but because of being induced so to speak I was monitored super closely and the drip rate was adjusted so that the contractions were more suitable for baby. In the end I had to have a section as despite the drip and being 10 cm baby wasnt descending, off went went and she arrived into the world six minutes later. For me the induction part of my labour was a very positive experience, baby was very closely monitored and the situation was adjusted to how she was coping. I guess I just want to say dont outright refuse induction if it has been suggested. I know it doesnt seem like it sometimes but honestly hospitals don't just recommend something for the sake of it they weigh up the options with all the information at hand and suggest the option that will be best for mummy and baby.

Thanks for this. I'm very much in between accepting their recommendation to induce or to demand a section. I honestly don't care what happens so long as a living baby is placed in my arms. My consultant has told me that on a second Labour induction is more than 90% effective while it's much less so in first. I'm terrified to make the wrong call for the baby though especially as he's going to be just over 37 weeks when I'm induced.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭anndub

Ms Tootsie wrote: »
    Just spotted the induction comments and wanted to offer some words to ease any worries. It sounds like your sister had a tough experience but try not to worry, baby and mum are here and that is the best outcome no matter what. It also sounds like her experience was very unusual. I was not induced but put on a drip when merconium had showed in my waters after they had broke, I was already 5 cm at that point. The drip didnt agree with baby but because of being induced so to speak I was monitored super closely and the drip rate was adjusted so that the contractions were more suitable for baby. In the end I had to have a section as despite the drip and being 10 cm baby wasnt descending, off went went and she arrived into the world six minutes later. For me the induction part of my labour was a very positive experience, baby was very closely monitored and the situation was adjusted to how she was coping. I guess I just want to say dont outright refuse induction if it has been suggested. I know it doesnt seem like it sometimes but honestly hospitals don't just recommend something for the sake of it they weigh up the options with all the information at hand and suggest the option that will be best for mummy and baby.

Thank you very much for that Tootsie. The positive stories are always very welcome. She was definitely a worst case scenario and the exception rather than the rule. I'm keeping that in the forefront of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭anndub

Thumpette wrote: »
    I know you don't mean it in the way I'm taking it but I just find the 'worst case scenario' quite upsetting.

In saying that though you are right to keep in the forefront that usually things are a lot more straight forward than the difficult experience your sister had.

Apologies Thumpette. Maybe a bad choice of words.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Thumpette wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I'm very much in between accepting their recommendation to induce or to demand a section. I honestly don't care what happens so long as a living baby is placed in my arms. My consultant has told me that on a second Labour induction is more than 90% effective while it's much less so in first. I'm terrified to make the wrong call for the baby though especially as he's going to be just over 37 weeks when I'm induced.

I can only speak from my experience. Honestly baby and I were so closely monitored throughout the drip / induction part even though we hadnt been through your situation. Babies heart rate was monitored constantly which is hugely reassuring. Given that they will be keeping this in mind I think they will always be happy to move up to a section if YOU are not coping well with how the induction is progressing.

90% effective is a fantastic figure and speaking from someone who has gone through an induction process that led to a section there are benefits to at least beginning the labour process - for me my milk came in within 3 days as my body had 'experienced labour'.

You still have time and if you get to D day and decide you are not happy with an induction you can always insist on a section there and then. And try to remember that at 37 weeks he is full term - although I have no doubt you already tell yourself that every day!!

For me both processes were a very positive experience as naff as it might sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

anndub wrote: »
    Thank you very much for that Tootsie. The positive stories are always very welcome. She was definitely a worst case scenario and the exception rather than the rule. I'm keeping that in the forefront of my mind.

It is easier said that done to try and keep it at the forefront of your mind. Wishing you all the best!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭BriarPatch

I have to say I agree with Ms Tootsie in that I was very closely monitored during my induction and emergency section and never felt like any less of a priority to anyone and it's a bit disgusting that your sister was made to feel that way Ann :-(

How is everyone coping with the heat? I'm barely hanging in here I feel like I need to strip off and lay on my bed!

Has anyone decided on a going home outfit for baby? My son was born in Winter so no idea what I need to dress this one in!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

Thinking I mite use the same babygro my son came home in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My last two were winter babies too. I bought a new jacket the other day, a lighter one than I've had before for the other boys. That and a babygro should be grand!

anndub wrote: »
    Apologies Thumpette. Maybe a bad choice of words.

Thanks Ann. I'd realised I was being over sensitive and deleted my post but obviously you'd seen it first. Appreciate the message though xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭RCK1406

Been in bed all day today with a disaster of a migraine :(

due to finish up work on Friday and it can't come quick enough. I'm feeling very sorry for myself and want to do nothing for a little while before the little monkey arrives.

• Advertisement

RCK1406 wrote: »
    Been in bed all day today with a disaster of a migraine :(

due to finish up work on Friday and it can't come quick enough. I'm feeling very sorry for myself and want to do nothing for a little while before the little monkey arrives.

You poor thing, that's hardship. I'm going to finish up next week. A bit early, but I'm not much use anymore anyhow. Like that, I want a chance to have a bit of a rest before baby gets here!

jlm29 wrote: »
    You poor thing, that's hardship. I'm going to finish up next week. A bit early, but I'm not much use anymore anyhow. Like that, I want a chance to have a bit of a rest before baby gets here!

I'm 38 weeks tomorrow so worked right up as far as I could but definitely ready to finish up. Only 10 days until the section so need to use the days wisely!!

RCK1406 wrote: »
    I'm 38 weeks tomorrow so worked right up as far as I could but definitely ready to finish up. Only 10 days until the section so need to use the days wisely!!

Ah enjoy your time resting up RCK, you won't know it before 10 days is up!

BriarPatch wrote: »
    Ah enjoy your time resting up RCK, you won't know it before 10 days is up!

Thank you can't wait to do nothing for a while but I'm sure I'll be bored within a few days.

Finished up work today, got some nice presents for both myself and the baby was quite thoughtful of them! Didn't find it hard to leave at all, skipped out of the office haha!!

Officially on mat leave as of today! (Though I've been out sick for 5 weeks!)

18 sleeps till induction.

Not long now Thumpette!

My nesting urge really kicked in today I did so much cleaning this morning but my body is aching from it now!

Not long now Thumpette!

My nesting urge really kicked in today I did so much cleaning this morning but my body is aching from it now!

It's such a mad instinct isn't it! I got a skip bag and have been dumping everything in sight! Enjoy the post nesting rest now!

Tomorrow is my last day in work, and I'm so looking forward to giving the house a good sorting over the next few weeks! We have to have some work done in the next few weeks, so cleaning it is probably a waste of time, but I can't wait to do it anyhow!!

I had given myself my first day off to myself to do nothing, but I'm bored already!! There's only so much day time TV to watch!!

So I've re-jigged my hospital bags and rearranged all the baby's clothes in her wardrobe! Half tempted to do a good clear out of my own wardrobe but I think I'll regret it half way through!

Any ideas of things to keep me sane for the next week are much appreciated :):)

Do you have any meals frozen for yourselves for afterwards? I remember i spent my first week last time batch cooking for the freezer!

• Advertisement

I did this the last time around. Started today made double of today's dinner, one lasagne for today and one for the freezer. Will be making a weeks worth of dinners for the freezer

I got a letter yesterday saying my application for maternity benefit has been approved. I know there have been delays recently, but if I've gotten the letter, does that mean the money will probably be paid on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SadieG

Do any of you non first timers have any recommendations on what bedding to get for our summer newborns?

I have cellular blankets and was about to buy a couple of low tog grobags but met a friend by chance on my way to the till who told they're dangerous for newborns so I put them back and went off to research again. Such conflicting information everywhere I'm confused by it all!!

I got a letter yesterday saying my application for maternity benefit has been approved. I know there have been delays recently, but if I've gotten the letter, does that mean the money will probably be paid on time?

Can I ask when are you dye to go on Maternity Leave and when did u apply for Maternity Benefit. I am due to on Maternity Leave next Monday (29th) and applied at end of March and got an acknowledgment text on April 4th. Haven't heard anything since. If you got a letter you should receive payment on time.

Clashmore wrote: »
    Can I ask when are you dye to go on Maternity Leave and when did u apply for Maternity Benefit. I am due to on Maternity Leave next Monday (29th) and applied at end of March and got an acknowledgment text on April 4th. Haven't heard anything since. If you got a letter you should receive payment on time.

I am due to start my mat leave on 05/06/17. I got my acknowledgement text on 12/04/17, I think I applied about a week before that. I got the letter yesterday!

I am due to start my mat leave on 05/06/17. I got my acknowledgement text on 12/04/17, I think I applied about a week before that. I got the letter yesterday!

They are obviously not going by what they said so, working on the dates people are going on Maternity Leave from. I applied before you, going on Maternity Leave before you and still no response back. Not blaming you, think this delay is a joke. Will be ringing on Thursday if I don't hear anything before then.

I'm assuming once we have that letter ours has been processed and will be paid online

I'm assuming once we have that letter ours has been processed and will be paid online

On time not online!

SadieG wrote: »
    Do any of you non first timers have any recommendations on what bedding to get for our summer newborns?

I have cellular blankets and was about to buy a couple of low tog grobags but met a friend by chance on my way to the till who told they're dangerous for newborns so I put them back and went off to research again. Such conflicting information everywhere I'm confused by it all!!
    I think grobags are for 3 months on.i just used cellular blankets and layered them depending on how hot or cold it was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

SadieG wrote:

Sorry to jump in here, theres a lowest weight limit on grobags, think its 9lbs, but you would have to check each individual one, its not safe to put a smaller baby in them because they would be at risk of slipping through the neck hole. Think we used one from about 6 weeks old. And never used a blanket over it. Before that used cellular blankets and layered as needed.

Advertisement