Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster vs Munster Match Day Thread, 08th Oct 2016, Aviva Stadium, SS1 & TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭twinytwo

.ak wrote: »
    Ah for me neither team got out of 2nd gear. They'll be different animals next week. The difference is Munster were actively trying to step it up, what comforted me was Leinster looked comfortable in second gear. I'm sure the message in the circle after the game from Heaslip was intensity is required next week.

Tbf, and i will never understand what the cause is.... Maybe walsh needs to be gotten rid of. But munster are seemingly incapable of put a backs move together.... and this has been going on for years... one off passes, slowly shuffle it out to the wings and no one draws a defender which ends up with a mess that U12's could defend against.

How many times did ringrose and nacewa do a simple 3 on 2 down the left and they were walking through the line willy nilly. Our backrow could have played the games of their lives yesterday and it wouldnt have mattered if the backs couldnt punch through a wet paper bag.

I still reckon foley needs to be shown the door and take most of the coaching staff with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

twinytwo wrote: »
    Tbf, and i will never understand what the cause is.... Maybe walsh needs to be gotten rid of. But munster are seemingly incapable of put a backs move together.... and this has been going on for years... one off passes, slowly shuffle it out to the wings and no one draws a defender which ends up with a mess that U12's could defend against.

How many times did ringrose and nacewa do a simple 3 on 2 down the left and they were walking through the line willy nilly. Our backrow could have played the games of their lives yesterday and it wouldnt have mattered if the backs couldnt punch through a wet paper bag.

I still reckon foley needs to be shown the door and take most of the coaching staff with him.
    You're talking about the basic skills of back play, surely the players need to take some responsibility there. Thought Taute looked very good in the short time he was on, could be a decent signing. From an outside perspective, a lot of the players simply aren't good enough though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

twinytwo wrote: »

You do realise that Walsh left last summer and that Foley and Flannery are the only ones left from the old coaching staff don't you?

You do realise that Walsh left last summer and that Foley and Flannery are the only ones left from the old coaching staff don't you?

What's Foley's job at the moment is it forwards coach again? Didn't Erasmus bring a forward coach with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

What's Foley's job at the moment is it forwards coach again? Didn't Erasmus bring a forward coach with him?

Headcoach and also coach of the Lineout and Breakdown

• Advertisement

Tefral wrote: »
    Headcoach and also coach of the Lineout and Breakdown

That he very clearly is not, title aside.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Foley has been marginalised from what i can see. Doubt he will be there next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Well you asked. That is his official role.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'd be surprised if Foley is still in charge of anything more than collecting a wage. Him keeping the head coach title was a complete(ly transparent) face saving exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Foley has been marginalised from what i can see. Doubt he will be there next season.

Don't bet on it. He's a highly-rated coach, but he lacks the communication skills for the top job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭phog

Haven't had a chance to catch up on the match thread yet but here's my tuppence worth.

Munster never got out of the blocks, we never looked like we could win it yet Leinster jumped on a few Munster errors to grab a win. Both teams need to improve for the Champions Cup games because very few will give Leinster the opportunities we gave them and we won't score too much more than we did yesterday without being more clinical.

I've yet to see it in TV so will hold my tongue on the ref other than say if I ever see him ref a game again it will be too soon for me.

Cronin should be cited, he lead with his shoulder in one ruck and then the raking - uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭phog

Don't bet on it. He's a highly-rated coach, but he lacks the communication skills for the top job.

Highly rated forwards coach that has overseen the production of no forwards of international standard in the province in how many years now?

And if he is currently the breakdown coach then after the display at the weekend I'd be seriously concerned.

The guy is Declan Kidney lite, he won't be coaching professional rugby next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That's pretty much what I heard almost verbatim!

Highly rated forwards coach that has overseen the production of no forwards of international standard in the province in how many years now?

And if he is currently the breakdown coach then after the display at the weekend I'd be seriously concerned.

The guy is Declan Kidney lite, he won't be coaching professional rugby next season.

POM, TOD, Stander, and JOD have all come through under him. As have Cronin, Kilcoyne and whoever else. He's even had Billy Holland performing very well at club level over the last 2 years.

That's significantly better than the likes of Dempsey who has over seen a Leinster side who haven't produce any/many outside backs of note in a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Girvan Dempsey somehow has something to do with a discussion on Foley. Weird.

Sure look, we'll see how highly rated is when Foley is jettisoned in the next year or two and see what he picks up.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

POM, TOD, Stander, and JOD have all come through under him. As have Cronin, Kilcoyne and whoever else. He's even had Billy Holland performing very well at club level over the last 2 years.

That's significantly better than the likes of Dempsey who has over seen a Leinster side who haven't produce any/many outside backs of note in a decade.

Dempsey brought through Nacewa, Kirchner and JGP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Half a decade probably would have been a more appropriate time-frame to have chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hagz wrote: »
    Half a decade probably would have been a more appropriate time-frame to have chosen.

But that also ignores the quality in place in that time. It's hard to bring through top class players when they don't have the opportunity to get game time.

That said in the last 10 years guys like Luke McGrath, Ian Madigan, Ian McKinley, Fergus McFadden, Eoin O'Malley, Luke Fitzgerald, Dave Kearney, Rob Kearney, Andrew Conway and Felix Jones all came through at Leinster. These guys either got capped, had promising careers ended through injury or had to move to get game time due to a queue of outside backs at the province. It's truly laughable to pick the last 10 years as a barometer of (a) Dempseys failure because he was playing 10 years ago instead of coaching and (b) Leinster failure to produce quality backs because they had so many in situ over the period and actually did develop a good few on top of those. But sure silly little things like facts rarely get in some people way here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

molloyjh wrote: »
    But that also ignores the quality in place in that time. It's hard to bring through top class players when they don't have the opportunity to get game time.

That said in the last 10 years guys like Luke McGrath, Ian Madigan, Ian McKinley, Fergus McFadden, Eoin O'Malley, Luke Fitzgerald, Dave Kearney, Rob Kearney, Andrew Conway and Felix Jones all came through at Leinster. These guys either got capped, had promising careers ended through injury or had to move to get game time due to a queue of outside backs at the province. It's truly laughable to pick the last 10 years as a barometer of (a) Dempseys failure because he was playing 10 years ago instead of coaching and (b) Leinster failure to produce quality backs because they had so many in situ over the period and actually did develop a good few on top of those. But sure silly little things like facts rarely get in some people way here.

It's MG. Why would you expect it to make any sense, or indeed have basic points of fact in order?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Foley as 'head' coach probably means keeping lads tighten their scrum caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

FWIW he was running the lineout drills before the game. What he's doing every day in training though, not sure any of us are in position to say.

No sign of Cronin being cited so far? It was reckless on his part and he deserves a 3-6 week ban.

No sign of Cronin being cited so far? It was reckless on his part and he deserves a 3-6 week ban.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101247144&postcount=109

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It look like nothing is going to come of it. If he's not cited within the next couple hours it's outside the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Bazzo wrote: »
    It look like nothing is going to come of it. If he's not cited within the next couple hours it's outside the window.
    He may be but not announced yet. If he's cited it'll be announced this afternoon

Bit torn, really wan't to see Munster turn over Racing at the weekend and a citing with question marks over Killer would make this task an awful lot harder.

At the same time, you can't stamp on another persons face for any reason.

I think if he isn't cited then the IRFU are running the risk of a Marler like situation where the IRB intervene and insist on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Ah to be fair (and just to reiterate I think he's deserving of a ban) I can't see the IRB intervening on this if its left slide.

In the event of a citing, I can imagine Cronin saying something like 'wasn't aware ball was out, didn't see the player beneath me' and getting a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

12 week ban for Cronin. Full statement here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

leakyboots wrote: »
    Ah to be fair (and just to reiterate I think he's deserving of a ban) I can't see the IRB intervening on this if its left slide.

Agreed, world rugby stepped in because the marler incident had the potential to cause a big stink on wider media - failing to cite for stamping will only annoy rugby fans.

Advertisement