Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster vs Munster Match Day Thread, 08th Oct 2016, Aviva Stadium, SS1 & TG4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

And your defence of it is pathetic.

I take it that's a yes then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

That stamp from Cronin is appalling.

Careless at worst. Appaling?
    Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Two poor teams ,but Leinster deserved the win...a lot of PR on Sweetnam over the last week or two..he is far off this level,no positional sense and poor tackler,as is Earls and The 10...a reality check

This is really weird. I was certain it was the Leinster Munster game I was at today, but reading back it's clear I must have been at some other match and the game everyone was watching had a completely different ref!

Thought both sides had some positives to take away from today and the biggest issue for Munster was their handling. Fumbling cost them a try and heaps of possession inside the Leinster 22.

I think some of this was down to the physicality Leinster brought to the contact zone, they were pretty ferocious to be honest, but some of it is just the basic handling problems that have plagued Munster these last few seasons.

Munster certainly looked to move the ball at times and had structure to their play in certain phases, but it was all a bit obvious and having never really punctured Leinster defense enough in mid field to take proper advantage.

Standers performance once again kept Munster in the game with his willingness to take on ball. Kind of worrying at times though that Munster genuinely seemed completely unsure what to do with ball in hand, and ran sideways or passed sideways without anyone communicating. That needs to be fixed quickly.
    Ringrose. The great white hope of Irish rugby. :pac:

I'm afraid you didn't have a good day today my friend, probably should have quit after this when Ringrose went on to have a performance worthy of an Ireland all up.

I thought Leinster went well today, some of their passing in the last 15 minutes between forwards and backs was 2011'esque. Sublime.

Physicality was ever present but thought we were a bit too squeeky clean in our maul defense, Toner usually does well here but we struggled in this area.

Otherwise everyone played pretty well, Henshaw was terrific, caused huge trouble in mid field and gives us a significant weapon here. Jesus he was so good. Ringrose similarly did everything you would want bar one fumble which while poor, didn't phase the rest of his performance. Mature.

I thought Munster having to replace POM at half time and Kilcoyne so soon into the second half robbed them of any bench impact which I think mostly contributed to the 25-7 lead. I am a bit disappointed that we didn't push on for the bonus point here, and worse let Munster in for a try but I think attentions had turned at that stage to next week and maybe rightfully so.

As for the back row V back row discussion, I think Leinster came out on top. Stander had plenty of carries and good meters run but didn't beat any defenders. He was carrying the workload but to be honest Munster for the most part did nothing with possession because our backrow continually killed their ball. We dominated the breakdown and as far as I'm concerned with our centres and (slow, lol) wings doing so much damage that is fine by me.

Good spring board for Leinster and for the first time since 2012/13 I am excited to see how we go in Europe, we have the squad in place and the coaching ticket to get the most out of them.

Ringshaw / Henshrose is going to be awesome this season / years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

kuang1 wrote: »
    Come on.

He stamped on his face. Ian McKinley lost an eye from such an incident. It's not acceptable.

• Advertisement

He stamped on his face. Ian McKinley lost an eye from such an incident. It's not acceptable.

You see, now I agree with you.
    It's not acceptable, any similar instance never is. It was careless.

Not appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭maddness

McKinley lost an eye from a freak accident in training.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Come on.

I think the correct word is reckless. It could have led to an appalling injury though so it's all semantics.

Mike Brown got away with similar but that was a disgraceful and much maligned decision.

I don't know what the disciplinary record here is like but I'd say anywhere from 3 - 5 weeks is very probable.

I'd be annoyed if he didn't receive a ban, boots can't connect with faces, it just can't happen regardless of any intention.

I think the correct word is reckless...
    ...I'd be annoyed if he didn't receive a ban, boots can't connect with faces, it just can't happen regardless of any intention.

This sums the whole thing up for me.

There will & should be a ban. But a minimal one.

This match was probably a fair reflection of where both teams are these days.
    Leinster are showing a bit of a spark but without a Rocky Elsom type in the pack and an at best average back three (apart from Isa) no big French or English side will be too worried about Leinster.
    Munster were just terrible. Really poor basic skills and their pack are just nowhere. As for their backline.....
    Brave and faithful....meek and delusional more like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

mansize wrote: »
    I wouldn't be expecting much from Leinster in Europe based on that performance

That wasn't our strongest possible side and we won without really getting going. I'm pretty hopeful myself

Synode wrote: »
    That was far from our strongest possible side and we won without really getting going. I'm pretty hopeful myself

I'm hopeful too but a lot less confident after today. I just worry that today's game wasn't at the intensity needed for European games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Shambles of a performance from munster,

If anyone sees a kiwi out half wandering around Dublin can you let the Munster back room staff know, they are missing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Munster were ok in the first half but lost all direction in the second half and seemed to drop their intensity too.

Murray had an off day and Bleyendaal looks OK but not very threatening with ball in hand. Earls looked completely lost, Zebo was good though. Sweetnam has the goods and with a bit more defensive nous he'll be a good asset.

For Leinster, Henshaw looked sharp and Ringrose had his best game of the season so excited about that partnership.

Really happy with Luke McGrath. He made a couple of silly errors but generally excellent.

Overall, a great result and a perfect warm up for Europe.

And Cronin has to be cited. Let the committee decide from there but shoeing a guy in the face can't be let go, if the Pro12 is to have any sort of credibility.

I thought McGrath had a very good 50 minutes or so but got a bit scrappy before he got taken off, was the right time to sub him. Really happy with the SH situation now though two good options to share game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The biggest difference between the two that I've observed so far is that McGrath recycles the ball a lot quicker than Gibson-Park. But Gibson-Park looks like a really interesting prospect. A wiley player.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What is it with Leinster-Munster games at the Aviva? They've all been at least poor matches.

The second try knocking the stuffing out of Munster but they were mostly blunt all game. I'm not sold on Bleyendaal at all. Earls had an off day, fell off a lot of tackles. POM was brilliant. Stander was nullified but tried his heart out.Unfortunately our blunt attack out wide cost us. Ringrose was great, not the first good shoeing against Munster. Taute needs to start against Racing to add bulk into the centre.

I've seen the Cronin footage. Reckless. 2 week ban at most.

I thought McGrath had a very good 50 minutes or so but got a bit scrappy before he got taken off, was the right time to sub him. Really happy with the SH situation now though two good options to share game time.

McGrath got a bit of a shoulder in contact (was more his own fault) and seemed to lose a bit of composure after that so suspect he hurt himself a bit and came off a few minutes later. He had a good game and he outplayed Murray today (though Murray didn't have a good day behind a struggling pack).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What is it with Leinster-Munster games at the Aviva? They've all been at least poor matches.

The second try knocking the stuffing out of Munster but they were mostly blunt all game. I'm not sold on Bleyendaal at all. Earls had an off day, fell off a lot of tackles. POM was brilliant. Stander was nullified but tried his heart out.Unfortunately our blunt attack out wide cost us. Ringrose was great, not the first good shoeing against Munster. Taute needs to start against Racing to add bulk into the centre.

I've seen the Cronin footage. Reckless. 2 week ban at most.

This surely wins the award for Freudian slip of the year?

McGrath got a bit of a shoulder in contact (was more his own fault) and seemed to lose a bit of composure after that so suspect he hurt himself a bit and came off a few minutes later. He had a good game and he outplayed Murray today (though Murray didn't have a good day behind a struggling pack).

Yeah that could be it. I really like him as a player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

This surely wins the award for Freudian slip of the year?

Had to read it a few times, to check if it was intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You know Munster didn't go well when the resident "red eyed" poster here kept posting about the mistakes Leinster were making, along with how biased the ref was and hadn't a single positive to post about Munster's play.

Great to see POM back playing. Going to be some battle for the 6 and 7 spots in green going forward.

mfceiling wrote: »
    You know Munster didn't go well when the resident "red eyed" poster here kept posting about the mistakes Leinster were making, along with how biased the ref was and hadn't a single positive to post about Munster's play.

Great to see POM back playing. Going to be some battle for the 6 and 7 spots in green going forward.

I think this autumn will be too soon for POM. He's clearly a bit away just in terms of fitness and we've other guys playing really well. The 6N though for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ironingbored

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Because that's the law. .The ball is allowed to carry forward because of the throwers momentum and always has...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg

It's the position of the hands when the ball is thrown. If a player is running forward and throws the ball backwards, the ball travels forward. Simple physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I was pretty much in line with where the pass was thrown and it looked ridiculously forward. Seen the replay also and it still looked forward. Don't think Sexton was moving forward at pace when he threw it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Ringrose. The great white hope of Irish rugby. :pac:
    Spot on, and I think everyone is glad to see it. And now delivering too.
    If Joe goes for the Payne at fullback option (and surely, he must), then Henshaw-Ringer has to be a combo worth testing in the Autumn AIs.

I was pretty much in line with where the pass was thrown and it looked ridiculously forward. Seen the replay also and it still looked forward. Don't think Sexton was moving forward at pace when he threw it

Where is the replay - wanted to watch the match back on TG4 player but no sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

You mean Kearney?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Forward pass and disgusting stamp.

Bring on europe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Overall, a very low standard of rugby today. Munster arent really at the races, and their slide is worrying for both the Pro 12 and Ireland.
    Leinster fully deserved the win. Are showing more variety, and the player level overall is well above Munster. But not that it is that great either. How many Lion tourists, let alone test contenders were we looking at today ? 3 or 4 tourists, no tests or something like that?

Advertisement