Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster vs Munster Match Day Thread, 08th Oct 2016, Aviva Stadium, SS1 & TG4

Options

Comments

Spot on, and I think everyone is glad to see it. And now delivering too.
    If Joe goes for the Payne at fullback option (and surely, he must), then Henshaw-Ringer has to be a combo worth testing in the Autumn AIs.

It's starting to get pretty exciting in the centres again from an Ireland perspective.

Payne
    Henshaw
    Marshall
    McCloskey
    Olding
    Ringrose
    Scannell
    Aki (next year)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think this autumn will be too soon for POM. He's clearly a bit away just in terms of fitness and we've other guys playing really well. The 6N though for sure.
    It was great to see him back and he was very good, but you're right.....he is way off in terms of fitness. Was he injured today? And what about Earls (who was awful) - his injury looked nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Wouldn't have even been a yellow, nothing to see here, end of.

You may succeed in convincing yourself if you try hard enough, but the Disciplinary Committee will see plenty.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Earls went off for HIA and didnt come back according to ruaidhri o'connor on twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

You may succeed in convincing yourself if you try hard enough, but the Disciplinary Committee will see plenty.

Maybe they will if they're looking to lay blame, but who knows

• Advertisement

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Earls went off for HIA and didnt come back according to ruaidhri o'connor on twitter

That's terrible news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

He got bumped quite badly if I remember right by I think Ruddock. Missed 4 of his 9 tackles. Don't think we'll see him in the centre any time soon. Well hopefully

Maybe they will if they're looking to lay blame, but who knows

if he doesnt get cited and banned then the pro12 is a jokeshop. You cannot have players going into rucks dancing on the face of a player, accidentally or not. Simple as. If he is going to use his feet that way it is Cronin's responsibility to make sure he doesnt do connect with someones face/head

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

The guy just has no luck when it comes to injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It's starting to get pretty exciting in the centres again from an Ireland perspective.

Payne
    Henshaw
    Marshall
    McCloskey
    Olding
    Ringrose
    Scannell
    Aki (next year)

Off topic, but really don't want Aki near an Irish shirt. We have so much young talent in the centre positions and I don't think Aki is head and shoulders above them to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Conor Murray should be told that he is no longer allowed use the box kick unless he is guaranteed to find touch ! Ridiculous, kicking away possession too many times and not just today.

Munster lacking leaders and passion today. Some of the body language was of players looking forward to getting on the bus. Sad really!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bmm wrote: »
    Conor Murray should be told that he is no longer allowed use the box kick unless he is guaranteed to find touch ! Ridiculous, kicking away possession too many times and not just today.

Munster lacking leaders and passion today. Some of the body language was of players looking forward to getting on the bus. Sad really!
    Cn we please stop going on about pashuuun!!! Munster were lacking leaders and were unstructured in parts.(Havent seen all the game)

Cn we please stop going on about pashuuun!!! Munster were lacking leaders and were unstructured in parts.(Havent seen all the game)

CJ, POM, Murray, Holland have all captained Munster? How many 'leaders' do Munster need? Or are the players just not good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

That doesn't look good for Cronin. What exactly did he think he was rucking?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

CJ, POM, Murray, Holland have all captained Munster? How many 'leaders' do Munster need? Or are the players just not good enough?
    Some of our better guys didn't play near what they needed to and others didn't step up. The leadership wasn't there

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Better than last years match.

Sweetnam and Zebo are the only two Munster players who were better than their blue equivalents.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    Better than last years match.

Sweetnam and Zebo are the only two Munster players who were better than their blue equivalents.

Sweetnam was certainly good at badly beaten for two tries by Isa "Class of 2000" Nacewa.

Sweetnam was certainly good at badly beaten for two tries by Isa "Class of 2000" Nacewa.
    He still did more than O'Loughlin (who wasn't bad, but will learn from this match).

I was impressed by Sweetnam and Zebo, both outplayed their Leinster equivalents. The rest of the Munster team though? Meh. Stander was good but he doesn't really do an awful lot, gets the ball and runs toward the closest man to him. Find someone who can tackle and he is completely nullified.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hindsight is a a great thing to hind behind and all that but PoM shouldn't have started today. He was blowing hard after 25 minutes. Fact he was subbed at half time shows how wrong management got it.

Edit: Seems it was a planned sub. I can.u dertsand wanting to give him 40 so he gets up to speed. But you're sacrificing an impact sub on the 60 minute mark. Strange.

Meh. Stander was good but he doesn't really do an awful lot, gets the ball and runs toward the closest man to him. Find someone who can tackle and he is completely nullified.

lol. Thats not going to go down too well in some quarters. Its also a big part of Munsters problem. Its too predictable. And too easy to deal with.

• Advertisement

As for Munster in general, no brains. When Leinster stop you running over the top of them for the 15th time it's time to try something else. I don't think a Munster back beat a man all day. Ringrose skinned a few Munster players while Earls couldn't beat eggs.

Murray, box kicks, please just stop. Murray can kick a ball so he's told to box kick it all the time, Ireland do the same. Please just stop. At the very least when it doesn't work for 40 minutes don't try it again for another 40 in the hope it will magically come good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Where is the replay - wanted to watch the match back on TG4 player but no sign.

On the screen, at the match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Hagz wrote: »
    You mean Kearney?

Sorry was it Kearney. I missed who threw it (was paying more attention to the line) and someone said Sexton earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Synode wrote: »
    Sorry was it Kearney. I missed who threw it (was paying more attention to the line) and someone said Sexton earlier

Yeah it was Kearney. I'm with you. He wasn't running at full tilt and regardless his hands didn't go backwards. If it was played at Thomond I'd say the crowd could have brought more attention to it.

Hagz wrote: »
    Yeah it was Kearney. I'm with you. He wasn't running at full tilt and regardless his hands didn't go backwards. If it was played at Thomond I'd say the crowd could have brought more attention to it.

I had a decent angle in the stands and genuinely thought it was flat or slightly backwards.

Just watching it back there on sky, it was close but definitely forward upon further viewing. I was almost certain it was good at the time but yeah, definitely forward I'd say, though he had plenty of time and space, didn't need to force the pass and it certainly didn't help that Nacewa ran early and was ahead of Kearny at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I had a decent angle in the stands and genuinely thought it was flat or slightly backwards.

Just watching it back there on sky, it was close but definitely forward upon further viewing. I was almost certain it was good at the time but yeah, definitely forward I'd say, though he had plenty of time and space, didn't need to force the pass and it certainly didn't help that Nacewa ran early and was ahead of Kearny at that point.

Or that Rob was too slow to pass. Havent seen it back, but he seemed to pause when a quicker pass would have been the natural move.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Murray, box kicks, please just stop. Murray can kick a ball so he's told to box kick it all the time, Ireland do the same. Please just stop. At the very least when it doesn't work for 40 minutes don't try it again for another 40 in the hope it will magically come good.

Murray had a poor game , but is head and shoulders best 9 for Ireland. McGrath seamed to box kick too much too today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

thebaz wrote: »

Murray had a poor game , but is head and shoulders best 9 for Ireland. McGrath seamed to box kick too much too today.

Box kicking. It's a pain. Esp when they are ****e kicks with little chance of a "contestible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Box kicking. It's a pain. Esp when they are ****e kicks with little chance of a "contestable"

• Advertisement

Box kicking. It's a pain. Esp when they are ****e kicks with little chance of a "contestible

Leinster got some good mileage out of our box kicks to be honest and we were perfectly happy to give possession to Munster because they weren't doing anything with it.

McGrath was better than Murray today, the respective packs need to be taken into account as this does impact the amount of time your scrummie has on the ball but despite Munster's best efforts to get in on top of Luke he was composed throughout and managed things nicely, especially for the try off the scrum.

It's good that the gap from Murray to our second choice has narrowed despite Reddan's retirement. Murray needs the competition.

Advertisement