Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster vs Munster Match Day Thread, 08th Oct 2016, Aviva Stadium, SS1 & TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

thebaz wrote: »
    awec wrote: »
    Murray, box kicks, please just stop. Murray can kick a ball so he's told to box kick it all the time, Ireland do the same. Please just stop. At the very least when it doesn't work for 40 minutes don't try it again for another 40 in the hope it will magically come good.

Murray had a poor game , but is head and shoulders best 9 for Ireland. McGrath seamed to box kick too much too today.

Box kicking. It's a pain. Esp when they are ****e kicks with little chance of a "contestable"

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Whats the pro12 citing window?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Adbrowne wrote:
    lol. Thats not going to go down too well in some quarters. Its also a big part of Munsters problem. Its too predictable. And too easy to deal with.

That's a big part of it. If you look at the ball carrying stats, getting the ball into CJs hands is a massive chunk of Munster's game. He's quality but they need to vary things.

He carried into contact 21 times today. Just line him up and shut him down and a big part of Munster's attack is shackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Poor enough game with the better team winning. Was really looking forward to the competition between the backrows, Kept each other honest but Leinster that bit more comfortable all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Buer wrote: »
    That's a big part of it. If you look at the ball carrying stats, getting the ball into CJs hands is a massive chunk of Munster's game. He's quality but they need to vary things.

He carried into contact 21 times today. Just line him up and shut him down and a big part of Munster's attack is shackled.

As a Leinster supporter I was never concerned by CJ yesterday, not for a minute. He made some ground but he was shut down every time. Not sure he off loaded after contact at all? That just isn't really good enough tbh and we have seen in the past, particularly in Europe, that he can be rendered relatively ineffective by the better sides. There was some talk of Munster having a better backrow than Leinster and possibly the best backrow in Europe pre-match, certainly not on that showing. And that was Leinster without SOB and VdF, probably the two best flankers Leinster have.

• Advertisement

As a Leinster supporter I was never concerned by CJ yesterday, not for a minute. He made some ground but he was shut down every time. Not sure he off loaded after contact at all? That just isn't really good enough tbh and we have seen in the past, particularly in Europe, that he can be rendered relatively ineffective by the better sides. There was some talk of Munster having a better backrow than Leinster and possibly the best backrow in Europe pre-match, certainly not on that showing. And that was Leinster without SOB and VdF, probably the two best flankers Leinster have.

Leinster defended quite smartly at times. Shoot up out wide and force Munster into traffic and trust the midfield (10-12-13) or else force munster into heavier traffic closer to the previous breakdown. Earls needs to be played in his best position because he good enough to be a centre

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Whilst it is what it is, I'm not convinced either team were all that yesterday. It struck me a battle of the worst.

Some moments of utter genius from Sexton.

The question needs to be asked, how will we fair against Castres next week. On the back of yesterday, I wouldn't be too hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

As a Leinster supporter I was never concerned by CJ yesterday, not for a minute. He made some ground but he was shut down every time. Not sure he off loaded after contact at all?

CJ has the same disease as POM and POC, the "smash-em-bro" mentality, which doesn't look for space or off-loads, but for maximum go-forward by running over people.

If it's used to draw in defenders it can be handy, and close to the line it can be hard to stop, but otherwise it's just too easy to defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah for me neither team got out of 2nd gear. They'll be different animals next week. The difference is Munster were actively trying to step it up, what comforted me was Leinster looked comfortable in second gear. I'm sure the message in the circle after the game from Heaslip was intensity is required next week.

.ak wrote: »
    Ah for me neither team got out of 2nd gear. They'll be different animals next week. The difference is Munster were actively trying to step it up, what comforted me was Leinster looked comfortable in second gear. I'm sure the message in the circle after the game from Heaslip was intensity is required next week.

That's it for me. Leinster knowingly played within themselves imo, with half an eye on the next two weeks. I'm pretty happy overall. Wish we'd stop switching off and conceding tries once games are won though.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    CJ has the same disease as POM and POC, the "smash-em-bro" mentality, which doesn't look for space or off-loads, but for maximum go-forward by running over people.

If it's used to draw in defenders it can be handy, and close to the line it can be hard to stop, but otherwise it's just too easy to defend.

And also eventually leads to serious injury with a lot of time spent in the stands...... As I'm sure Sean O'brien can testify.

The only real criticism I'd have against CJ yesterday was that he was trying to run through everybody, falling immediately upon contact and I genuinely can't recall one attempt by him to offload after contact.

That said, he's still a spectacular ballsy fella with an outstanding work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Whats the pro12 citing window?

48 hours I think

swiwi_ wrote: »

The other thing about him is he was returning kicks so it really padded his metres run stats he didn't cause any really trouble in contact, didn't run over anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The other thing about him is he was returning kicks so it really padded his metres run stats he didn't cause any really trouble in contact, didn't run over anyone.

We're getting a bit out of hand here. He breaks the gainline basically every time he takes on the ball, that's important grunt work for a number 8. Heaslip gets praised for doing similar all the time. It's not Stander's fault his team were doing nothing with the good work he was putting in.

Bazzo wrote: »
    48 hours I think

Do Leinster need to intimate a complaint?

JGP didn't make any fuss over it. Wonder if Cronin will be done..... Silly move by him.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Do Leinster need to intimate a complaint?

No. It's supposed to be an independent process. Though some strange decisions get taken when it comes to interpro games.

We're getting a bit out of hand here. He breaks the gainline basically every time he takes on the ball, that's important grunt work for a number 8. Heaslip gets praised for doing similar all the time. It's not Stander's fault his team were doing nothing with the good work he was putting in.

I don't really think I am. His stats say he carried for 50m or whatever but do you think he troubled Leinster? I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't know why people are complaining this game was boring. It wasn't a classic, but I'm just rewatch in it, and there are lots of really interesting things happening. 4 tries, but to be fair there were at least another 5 try scoring chances butchered. Certainly not the worst iteration of this fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster showed a few good things in attack. String the phases together, generate momentum with quick ruck ball and make yards through the middle. Also gave us a bit of space to attack the wide channels. That worked well even with a 34 year old full back and a rookie centre playing the wongs. Although it has to be said that Munsters defence was soft and gave Leinster the platform to do what they wanted.

Heaslip, Ruddock and Jordi were far more effective as a unit yesterday. Getting over the gainline is great if your getting quick ball for the backs to run onto. Getting over the gainline and getting engulfed by 2-3 opponents who slow your ball down so much that your only option is a [crap] box kick isnt really much use.

Stander works himself to a standstill in practically every game, its how he is wired, but at times he needs to add a bit more intelligence to how he uses the ball. Leinster's first close in receiver did a quick pass before contact a few times yesterday which got them moving Munster around a bit. Its just a little bit more subtle. If Munster produce yesterdays performance next weekend they will ship 40-50 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Just saw the Cronin stamp.

Should get a few weeks for that unfortunately. Nothing malicious but reckless and you can't make contact with the head like that.

Will be a massive loss next week if he's cited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ringshaw / Henshrose is going to be awesome this season / years to come.

Please don't make this a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

wp_rathead wrote: »

Leinster should sell t-shirts.

wp_rathead wrote: »

[tumblr_n0lcbdYvD01sl21koo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

No. It's supposed to be an independent process. Though some strange decisions get taken when it comes to interpro games.

Anything goes in Munster v Leinster. Sexton kicking Mafi in the face, John Hayes stamping on Healy, and the O'Connell/Kearney incident all spring to mind. Basically any suspensions (or lack thereof) are determined based on the importance of upcoming fixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Clegg wrote: »
    That worked well even with a 34 year old full back

Kearney is only 30 no?

Flincher wrote: »
    Anything goes in Munster v Leinster. Sexton kicking Mafi in the face, John Hayes stamping on Healy, and the O'Connell/Kearney incident all spring to mind. Basically any suspensions (or lack thereof) are determined based on the importance of upcoming fixtures.

Sexton got banned and Hayes got sent off for those incidents respectively.

Synode wrote: »
    Kearney is only 30 no?

he is talking about Nacewa ......

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats?gameId=290457&league=270557

Few interesting stats here.

Leinsters top carriers were Ringrose [10] and Henshaw [15], Munsters were Holland [11], Zebo [11] and Stander [22]

18 defenders beaten for Leinster [Ringrose 7, Henshaw 3]
    12 defenders beaten for Munster [Zebo and Bleyendaal 3 each]

So Munsters top 3 carriers beat 4 defenders [Stander 1, Zebo 3] between them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,291 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Adbrowne wrote: »
    http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats?gameId=290457&league=270557

Few interesting stats here.

Leinsters top carriers were Ringrose [10] and Henshaw [15], Munsters were Holland [11], Zebo [11] and Stander [22]

18 defenders beaten for Leinster [Ringrose 7, Henshaw 3]
    12 defenders beaten for Munster [Zebo and Bleyendaal 3 each]

So Munsters top 3 carriers beat 4 defenders [Stander 1, Zebo 3] between them.

Very much reflects what is being said in the thread. Munsters crash runners didn't pose leinster many problems.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Very much reflects what is being said in the thread. Munsters crash runners didn't pose leinster many problems.

The centres making hay suggests the forwards gave them decent ruck ball to exploit gaps with.

Advertisement