Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster vs Munster Match Day Thread, 08th Oct 2016, Aviva Stadium, SS1 & TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

leakyboots wrote: »
    Murphy made 2 metres off 4 runs and 5 tackles, Heaslip made 4 metres off 9 carries and 12 tackles missing two. CJ made 54 metres off 21 carries making 8 tackles and missing 1.

While not taking away from a great performance, it must be said that CJ was in the backfield for some of Leinster kicks. Will distort the carry metres a fair bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭budhabob

CJ was wonderful, he did a huge amount of work in the first half alone.
    Ryan, Kleyn, POM, TOD, CJ.... you can a win on that quintet alone IMO ....now just to get them all fit and firing

I envy your positivity after that performance. Fair play.

That bit on cronins play is one of the main reasons im happy with killer starting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭leakyboots

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Doesn't that just mean that muster are overly reliant on Stander?

No, why? Should we use him less if he's that effective? Bizarre comment. Killer went off injured, he'd be a major carrier for us.

I thought they were evenly matched but CJ was clearly head and shoulders above anyone else (took 3 Lineouts too). TOD made 21 m (for 7 carries though), 12 tackles, 1 missed, 1 defender beaten. POM went off at half time as he clearly wasn't fit, made a few tackles and took 4 lineouts. I don't think TOD was fully fit either to be honest. Game wasn't lost for us in the backrow.

Just highlighting the contention that Leinster were on top in the backrow with their 'disgustingly good' backrow

Bridge93 wrote: »
    While not taking away from a great performance, it must be said that CJ was in the backfield for some of Leinster kicks. Will distort the carry metres a fair bit

Does that come into it? Is it not based off the gainline? Either way he had a great performance. Stats aren't everything anyway. I thought Jordi played pretty well even though his stats aren't great

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Does that come into it? Is it not based off the gainline? Either way he had a great performance. Stats aren't everything anyway. I thought Jordi played pretty well even though his stats aren't great

no the metres made are in total. Who else as a genuine ball carrier do Munster have in the forwards. Not too many names stand out tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

No, why? Should we use him less if he's that effective? Bizarre comment. Killer went off injured, he'd be a major carrier for us.

I thought they were evenly matched but CJ was clearly head and shoulders above anyone else (took 3 Lineouts too). TOD made 21 m (for 7 carries though), 12 tackles, 1 missed, 1 defender beaten. POM went off at half time as he clearly wasn't fit, made a few tackles and took 4 lineouts. I don't think TOD was fully fit either to be honest. Game wasn't lost for us in the backrow.

Just highlighting the contention that Leinster were on top in the backrow with their 'disgustingly good' backrow

Munster did a lot of running sideways. Leinster seemed happy to let them have the ball. Those stats can be pretty meaningless at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭redmca2

Can anyone explain the logic of Leinster after a period of sustained defending get possession and send up box kicks which at best are 50/50?

How brave and positive is Connact's style in a similar situation, not afraid to retain possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Adbrowne wrote: »
    no the metres made are in total. Who else as a genuine ball carrier do Munster have in the forwards. Not too many names stand out tbh.

TOD, it's probably the strongest part of his game .....funny how people forget the obvious when focusing on the negative

Adbrowne wrote: »

CJ, Killer/Cronin, TOD (any bit of space and he's away, very rangy runner), POM. John Ryan and Archer do tight yards, D Ryan less so these days - he's not the same since the injury. Kleyn would have been great today, can see him being a big enforcer for us. Billy Holland is there to tackle all day (11/0, joint highest, same as TOD 11/1). Niall Scannell needs to up his game with regard to carrying, he's good in the scrum and the lineout is better this season (he crucially overthrew though for one of Leinster's scores.. gah).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

No, why? Should we use him less if he's that effective? Bizarre comment.

He's a good player and you'd expect his numbers to be high anyway. ..but he's not superman and can't be everywhere at once and won't be there every time they need a good ball carrier.

If his carry figures are that much higher than others it means that the team are having to work their plan around him.

It could also man that they/him are too focused on carries over passes, but that's another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Well y'know. I was talking about the depth of player quality there. Leinster have about 6 players there that could start in any combination and would go well. It is disgustingly good. And they handled the game pretty well overall.

He's a good player and you'd expect his numbers to be high anyway. ..but he's not superman and can't be everywhere at once and won't be there every time they need a good ball carrier.

If his carry figures are that much higher than others it means that the team are having to work their plan around him.

It could also man that they/him are too focused on carries over passes, but that's another matter.

Unless those numbers are Heaslips...... then it's all good?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

CJ, Killer/Cronin, TOD (any bit of space and he's away, very rangy runner), POM. John Ryan and Archer do tight yards, D Ryan less so these days - he's not the same since the injury. Kleyn would have been great today, can see him being a big enforcer for us. Billy Holland is there to tackle all day (11/0, joint highest, same as TOD 11/1). Niall Scannell needs to up his game with regard to carrying, he's good in the scrum and the lineout is better this season (he crucially overthrew though for one of Leinster's scores.. gah).

Apart from CJ none of the others stand out as anywhere near as good as him. I think Munster are a bit too reliant on CJ in that regard. As you say TOD is much better in a little bit of space.

Unless those numbers are Heaslips...... then it's all good?

Nope.

Anyway, it's not a criticism of Stander, it's a criticism of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

Lots of talking points from that game.
    I thought the result was about right. Don't think we deserved a LBP.
    I know it was an injury induced selection to have Earls at centre, but my good gawd...the man has become a turnstile in defence.
    If I had been Cullen/Lancaster today I would just have instructed to run at him every time Leinster had the ball.

I recently had some fellow Munster fans animatedly questioning my viewpoint on him. I promised those posters that I would take a fresh look at Earls to see if I might have been biased or missed something obvious...
    Do I even need to finish my point here?

Well done to Leinster.
    I'm surprised Henshaw isn't getting more mentions on here. I thought he looked very, very sharp.
    J Murphy had a good outing. As did Sexton, Necewa, Ringrose.

Nope.

Anyway, it's not a criticism of Stander, it's a criticism of the others.

Why criticise others for CJ's brilliance?!
    Nobody criticised Usain Bolt for being faster than other athletes
    Nobody criticised Messi for being different class to the rest....so why criticise CJ Saviour for being a god amongst mere mortals?!

Clegg wrote: »
    Well y'know. I was talking about the depth of player quality there. Leinster have about 6 players there that could start in any combination and would go well. It is disgustingly good.

If you say so, they certainly didn't shine against a half-fit Munster backrow. I think VdF is an exciting prospect and Leavy could be too, they've bigger tests to come in the next few weeks, will be interesting to see their progress

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

That Cronin thing looks more of an accident than Brown's did on Murray in the 6 Nations and he got off scot-free, so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

That Cronin thing looks more of an accident than Brown's did on Murray in the 6 Nations and he got off scot-free, so who knows.

Yeah I definitely agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

McFadden got 3 weeks for similar stamp vs Nathan White last season - I'd expect similar ban here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Handy enough win in the end, disappointed Leinster didn't get the fourth try. Between that length of the field move and Ringrose (who I thought was exceptional) knocking on over the line it's a bit of a missed opportunity but happy with where Leinster are, clearly the better side today and in decent shape for Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The game failed to ignite for me.
    Munster gifting Leinster 2 tries didn't help matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Handy enough win in the end, disappointed Leinster didn't get the fourth try. Between that length of the field move and Ringrose (who I thought was exceptional) knocking on over the line it's a bit of a missed opportunity but happy with where Leinster are, clearly the better side today and in decent shape for Europe.

I wouldn't be expecting much from Leinster in Europe based on that performance

Why criticise others for CJ's brilliance?!
    Nobody criticised Usain Bolt for being faster than other athletes
    Nobody criticised Messi for being different class to the rest....so why criticise CJ Saviour for being a god amongst mere mortals?! good.

Go look at the posts - it was in the context of comparing the two back rows on the whole.

Stander is good but he's no sporting legend like bolt or messi. Sprinting is an individual sport and Barcelona would be heavily criticised if the couldn't do messi justice.

This really is hilarious - i bet if lance Armstrong were from cork you'd be telling me that he's got two balls and has never seen a needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Terrible. Longer post to come later.

Go look at the posts - it was in the context of comparing the two back rows on the whole.

Stander is good but he's no sporting legend like bolt or messi. Sprinting is an individual sport and Barcelona would be heavily criticised if the couldn't do messi justice.

This really is hilarious - i bet if lance Armstrong were from cork you'd be telling me that he's got two balls and has never seen a needle.

Dunno kid , I'm not from cork

That stamp from Cronin is appalling.

That stamp from Cronin is appalling.

Are we thinking of the kids again Joe?

Are we thinking of the kids again Joe?

And your defence of it is pathetic.

• Advertisement

Dunno kid , I'm not from cork