Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They suffered on the cross but rose again.. Lenny, Rob and Alek's 16/17 cross thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Fighting talk lads...I like it...ps I'm the one likely to be on a ditch...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lenny spotted getting back on the bike after a bit of a break..

DCbiuYkUIAEXQtL.jpg:large

Kinning cross dates announced on facebook

Any idea when navan cx races are on?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Any idea when navan cx races are on?

During the cross season, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Come on now, where's the CX calendar, don't they know the clocks go back in 3 months time!!
    I mean it's July, let's see the 2017 CX race schedules!!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Ok so myself and another Liverpool supporting Boardsie who shall rename nameless have signed up for the 3 Peaks Cyclocross race. I'm reading a lot about the importance of puncture resistant tyres for the event. I currently have Mavic Aksiums Discs with rocket ron tyres. I have found them ok, have punctured though a few times, usually run at 40psi in races. I have considered upgrading wheels to something lighter and using tubulars as it seems the thing to do but I don't know a whole lot about them.

Any recommendations on puncture resistant clinchers? or should I really look at changing wheels and going tubeless? I appreciate there is less chance of a puncture tubeless but if you do get one are you not goosed and stranded needing a wheel change?

Also if anyone on here has done the event would appreciate some training tips for the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If you go to 3peaks forums, most of the people will recommend 35mm Land Cruisers @ 40psi or so. They are heavy but really bombproof, and you need reliability not speed for this hell of a ride.

Good luck to you and Nameless Rob!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Have I been outed.....

Yeah going to do the 3 peaks (life long dream tbh)
    Thinking of going tubeless due to decreased punctures??

Not a bad idea, but practice the setup first! The last thing you need on the day is a burping tyre or blowout... But don't take a delicate CX tyre, I've mortally cut my Schwalbe X-ONEs even on local gravel climbs ...

• Advertisement

detones wrote: »
    I appreciate there is less chance of a puncture tubeless but if you do get one are you not goosed and stranded needing a wheel change?

No, if you puncture tubeless, you just stick a tube in. With tubular you'd be stuck.

No, if you puncture tubeless, you just stick a tube in.

If you use sealant in a tubeless tyre and it fails to seal the puncture (and it is definitely possible with CX tyres and pressures), you can insert a tube.

The problem is that if you puncture again, you will not be able to patch it as no patch will hold after sealant. Learned it the hard way, the only time I had to make the call of shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

@detones do you want my brother's number? He did it and can give you some tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Alek wrote: »
    If you use sealant in a tubeless tyre and it fails to seal the puncture (and it is definitely possible with CX tyres and pressures), you can insert a tube.

The problem is that if you puncture again, you will not be able to patch it as no patch will hold after sealant. Learned it the hard way, the only time I had to make the call of shame.

Oh a patch won't work on a tube covered in sealant? I'd be bringing two tubes in any case, I wouldn't fancy trying to patch a dirty tube trailside. It's not something I've ever tried to do.

Sealant is water soluble to some extent and it seems that if you wash the tube well later it will accept the patch. But its not so easy to do on the side of the road, and the Hi5 tablet-drink I had in the bottle didn't work at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Thanks LD will be in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Some good news!
    CROSS IS COMING!!!!!
    Full details next week after XC Nationals.
    4 Races, 2 evening races in the series;
    1 in Sept,
    2 in Oct,
    1 Nov.
    The Fixx crew will also be running nationals in Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Entry now open for Kinning Cycles Orangefield Cross.

Enter via http://ulstercyclocross.com/

• Advertisement

Signed up for fixx cx league last night. Furst open cx race. Think I accidentally signed up for the a race....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Signed up for fixx cx league last night. Furst open cx race. Think I accidentally signed up for the a race....

I'll cheer you on from the sidelines! :)

You racing it lenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

You racing it lenny?

Not the a race....

Ill be sure to push robfowl into a bush just as you pass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Anyone got any idea when Cycling Ireland are going to sanction races? We have our series in Navan issued for four weeks now but still awaiting approval!

Was actually wondering when navan cx was on

We have applied for 8th October and the 10th November. Until these are approved we cant advertise which is annoying! I guess most hosting CX races this year in Leinster are feeling this annoyance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

26th of November is Killruddery GP, waiting on confirmation...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

We have applied for 8th October and the 10th November. Until these are approved we cant advertise which is annoying! I guess most hosting CX races this year in Leinster are feeling this annoyance too.
    Good Stuff, 10th Nov a Friday night Race?

• Advertisement

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Good Stuff, 10th Nov a Friday night Race?

Well spotted, its a Sunday race so Nov the 12th! Apologies.

If there were lights in the park now a night race would prove to be fun :D

Advertisement