Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They suffered on the cross but rose again.. Lenny, Rob and Alek's 16/17 cross thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Icy conditions for the Worlds....

Could Meeusen(die Eis Mahn!) get a podium?

Van der Haar coming good......

thoughts????

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Conditions look tough,watching the women's elite at the moment.
    What a finish - Cant beats Vos in a sprint!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I watched this on a Facebook live feed and utterly nailbiting, impressive from all involved.

Is the mens on today as well?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

dahat wrote: »
    I watched this on a Facebook live feed and utterly nailbiting, impressive from all involved.

Is the mens on today as well?

Men's is tomorrow; 2pm. Live streaming at https://www.youtube.com/user/ucichannel

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭SuperSean

Hi all, looking for a bit of advise.
    Going to buy a new CX bike with disc brakes this year but realistically I can't afford hydraulic disc brakes.
    So just curious does anyone know what kind of hassle it is to replace the mechanical with hydraulic ones a few months down the line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

SuperSean wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for a bit of advise.
    Going to buy a new CX bike with disc brakes this year but realistically I can't afford hydraulic disc brakes.
    So just curious does anyone know what kind of hassle it is to replace the mechanical with hydraulic ones a few months down the line?

New shifters and new callipers plus replacing the cables with hydraulic hoses. If the bike has internal cable routing, ensure that it has full length cable outters so it can support the hoses.

As your accountant, my answer is not cheap. Save up.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

New shifters and new callipers plus replacing the cables with hydraulic hoses. If the bike has internal cable routing, ensure that it has full length cable outters so it can support the hoses.

As your accountant, my answer is not cheap. Save up.

Bike will also need to have an 11 speed groupset if I'm not mistaken.

Could get those cable activated hydraulics.

But really, canti's are the best solution if you're on a budget.

cyclocross still in(just about) full swing on the continent!

I'd say Van der Poel has a photo of Van Aert in front of his turbo at home... he seems filled with a quiet rage as he's been showing him the ropes in every race since the Worlds....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

What single chainset setup do the cool people use these days? Compact setup on my bike and find the outer ring gets no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm doing fine on 1x10, 40 + 11-32.

This however is for general cycling, for racing I'd probably go 38 + 11-28.

Unless you can sprint faster than 45 kph in the race, then 40+ on the front would be advisable.

• Advertisement

What Cranks Are You Using. Lobe the sram cx 1 setup

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah I've a 40x28 and really a 38 would be ideal. The top half of the block gets no use and any lumpy races can involve too much grinding. 38x28 or 32 would be my preference.

What Cranks Are You Using

Shimano 105 172.5mm + Superstarcomponents ring, but this doesn't really matter.

So, nearly time to start thinking about CX again :)
    I've a new bike bought for the next season that has mavic Aksium discs on it but I'm thinking of dabbling in a set of tubeless / tubular wheels.
    So I have a few questions:
    Is it worth going down the route of tubeless / tubular or should I stay with clinchers and latex tubes?
    Secondly I need to get a second set of wheels as I'm going to use the new CX bike for winter spins and I'd like to have set of wheels for the road and a set for CX. So can anyone recommend a wheelset around the 300-400 bracket for CX racing? I probably could buy another set of mavics but they seem very heavy. They have to be disc brake and through axle ready and I'd possible lighter than what I have.
    And finally! From looking online it seems you can get adapters to change QR wheels to through axle, has anyone used these? Is it worth exploring or should I just go for a through axle wheelset from the start.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭scott.s

I had similar requirements to you last year. Wanted a set of tubulars for racing and kept my clinchers for commuting, adding slick 28mm tyres. The race wheels had to be thru-axle on the front, QR on the rear so that seemed to limit what I could easily purchase.

I got Robin in Expert Cycles to build me a set of race wheels. It would be worthwhile sending Expert an email and seeing if they could do something in your price range that meets your requirements.

scott.s wrote: »
    I had similar requirements to you last year. Wanted a set of tubulars for racing and kept my clinchers for commuting, adding slick 28mm tyres. The race wheels had to be thru-axle on the front, QR on the rear so that seemed to limit what I could easily purchase.

I got Robin in Expert Cycles to build me a set of race wheels. It would be worthwhile sending Expert an email and seeing if they could do something in your price range that meets your requirements.

Sounds good, I'll give them a shout during the week. Thanks!

How do you find the tubulars? Is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭scott.s

I found it was a huge difference, but some of that could have been influenced by moving from a mid-level clincher tyre to a top of the range Dugast tubular :D

Can run a lower pressure safer than a clincher with no risk of pinching a tube so they're great on days when you'd normally be struggling for traction and slipping about.

They seem to roll faster too, which is very noticeable on harder packed grass/dirt or tarmac sections.

Keep in mind when you're pricing new wheels that you'll have the added cost of tyres and new disc brakes which can easily add 200 euro on to the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Can't wait for cx season. Need to buy a new cx bike first though!

anyone own/ try one of these?

https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/bikes/road-bikes/cyclocross-bikes/boone/boone-5-disc/p/2464000-2017/

looking at getting one, would like a look, thoughts on weight, disc brake upgrade etc

grma

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

CX talk in June!? <*dear god! *>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Put an entry in for the 3 peaks last week..
    Waiting to see if I got a place........

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    You're not even going to tackle the "fun" side of Pen-y-Ghent:(

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »

My bro did that a few years ago. Must try and dig out his report for you so you can see what you are getting yourself into.

25sean wrote: »
    anyone own/ try one of these?

https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/bikes/road-bikes/cyclocross-bikes/boone/boone-5-disc/p/2464000-2017/

looking at getting one, would like a look, thoughts on weight, disc brake upgrade etc

grma

Failing that, going from canti to disc, what do people think about the weight difference? do discs with brakes, rotors etc add a fair bit more weight?

Considering making the jump....

So after a fair bit of looking and asking around I dont think I'll go down the hand-built route. Its a bit too much money for me at the moment to invest on a set of wheels since as pointed out I'll need tubular tyres and cassette and rotors.

I have however came across the set of DT Swiss R24 spline wheels: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/dt-swiss-r-24-spline-disc-ta-11s-shimano-wheelset-495591

They seem to tick all the boxes: tubless ready, tubeless conversion kit included, disc brakes, thru-axle (the front is x15 though and mine are x12 front / rear but they have a conversion kit included) and pretty cheap.
    So these with 105 cassette and rotors will be 310e delivered which is realistically more where I was aiming price wise, although I could be tempted to push up to 400e if I see something better.

So, a few more questions :)

- I remember seeing a few people talk about tubeless on this forum and from the sounds of it it looks like a valid option or should I stick to Clincher w/ latex tubes?
    - I have a pair of new tyres, Rocket Ron's 33mm that came with the bike that I've read are tubeless ready. Does anyone have any experience using these? Or could recommend tyres for tubeless instead?
    - Has anyone used these wheels before?

Thanks in advance :D

- Tubeless for CX is great.
    - Rocket Rons tubeless? Maybe a new version, however I've been running really old non-tubeless Racing Ralphs for 2 seasons with no issues whatsoever. X-ONE are better though, and mount/seal like a breeze :)
    - Not me, but was contemplating them once. They have good reviews and are light enough.

When's the first race?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    When's the first race? opportunity for Lenny to put robfowl in a ditch

Fixed your post :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

lennymc wrote: »
    I'll Fix your post when I'd crawling out of the ditch Rob put me into :)
    FYP....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

4068544205_0e9844f014_b1.jpg

Robfowl has been getting some secret training.....

Advertisement