Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They suffered on the cross but rose again.. Lenny, Rob and Alek's 16/17 cross thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Did you perchance have a boards.ie head cap/bandanna yoke on?

Bandana ..
    I'm not that bleeding old ;)

Velo Club Balrothery speedsuit and Carnac yellow Lion of Flanders Helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Did you perchance have a boards.ie head cap/bandanna yoke on?

That was me ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

RobFowl wrote: »
    Bandana ..
    I'm not that bleeding old ;)

Velo Club Balrothery speedsuit and Carnac yellow Lion of Flanders Helmet

Sorry, Rob! I did find a pic or two of you.
    detones wrote: »
    That was me ;-)

I was going to say hello, but I thought it might only be Jerseys that got a shout out.

I think this is your bike btw. Evidence of a tough day at the office! I do wonder how much extra weight all the muck adds to the bike via the tyres alone.

et885f.jpg

I also threw a few pics on your FBI page earlier. On the wrong thread too :D

Sadly my camera hasn't seen the light of day for quite awhile, and two lenses are now no longer working, add to that I found out about the race at short notice; I have weird ass filters on my lenses! Once I have had time to hide my shame from the photos ala a clean up in lightroom, I'll send you a link to them.

I have to say, having watched a lot of the B and A race yesterday, CX is no walk in the park by any means!

I have a few pics and vids on instagram though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I was going to say hello, but I thought it might only be Jerseys that got a shout out.

I think this is your bike btw. Evidence of a tough day at the office! I do wonder how much extra weight all the muck adds to the bike via the tyres alone.

et885f.jpg

Sadly my camera hasn't seen the light of day for quite awhile, and two lenses are now no longer working, add to that I found out about the race at short notice; I have weird ass filters on my lenses! Once I have had time to hide my shame from the photos ala a clean up in lightroom, I'll send you a link to them.

I have to say, having watched a lot of the B and A race yesterday, CX is no walk in the park by any means!

The one on the right is mine :)

Edit Doh, scratch that, the one on the left is mine...

et885f.jpg

Cheers for that. Will check out pictures. That's my bike all right in red. Not that mucky believe it or not for a cx race but muck does weight it down considerably. Was a great course and a good test. Not too technical but always kept you interested. Epic but in a great event. Addition of proper coffee rig was very welcome ;-)

• Advertisement

Can't find much cross events coming up over next couple of Months. Plan to do Fixx on the 28th Oct and Navan on the 12th Nov. Ulster and Connaght Events don't really suit but might travel to one. CI calender looks fairly blank compared to last year, am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

detones wrote: »
    Can't find much cross events coming up over next couple of Months. Plan to do Fixx on the 28th Oct and Navan on the 12th Nov. Ulster and Connaght Events don't really suit but might travel to one. CI calender looks fairly blank compared to last year, am I missing something?

Last years calendar.

This years calendar.

Only Leinster rounds missing from this years calendar are Kilruddery House and Leinster Champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Killruddery CX is going ahead again this year on the last Sunday in November, 26th.... full programme of racing including kids... more mud as well!

Promotion to follow!

grma

Cheers lads. Good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Anyone know where stocks rocket ron tan wall cyclocross tyres? Crc/wiggle don't have any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I was looking for them some time ago, it seems that they were made exclusively for Focus and not available elsewhere - even dealers could not order spare ones from Focus sales reps. A shame; colour me gumwall and call me a Dugast if I'm wrong.

Cheers for info. Need new tyres for new cx bike and have a craving for gumwall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

They never really had the classic tan colour though. Mine are losing the colour and turning a creamy off white.

Get yourself a Challenge open tyre for the proper look.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nevskin

http://www.munstercx.com/blog/

This years Munster CX League dates if anyone fancies a trip west...

2 rounds done- Ennis & Fota- this Sunday is Clonmel- registration details on the website...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Connacht League round 2 this sunday Oct 22nd as well in Enniscrone.

http://bit.ly/2xNxc2J

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

thekooman wrote: »
    Connacht League round 2 this sunday Oct 22nd as well in Enniscrone.

http://bit.ly/2xNxc2J

I'll be doing that one! First time doing one outside Leinster/Ulster...no idea what to expect.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'll be doing that one! First time doing one outside Leinster/Ulster...no idea what to expect.

the weather will be ok but it will be muddy and sticky from the previous days rain thats expected. one little hill in it and technical descent. plenty of water puddles in that field. Attendances have been low for the Connacht events which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Awesome. Technical. My least favourite kind of course... :D

Is there pre-registration or is it unlikely to sell out? I'm travelling from Dublin so don't want to waste the journey.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Awesome. Technical. My least favourite kind of course... :D

Is there pre-registration or is it unlikely to sell out? I'm travelling from Dublin so don't want to waste the journey.

no pre-reg afaik. as i was saying, the numbers have been low for the last few CX events. only a handful of clubs take on the events and they are all in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Just wondering what the appetite would be for CX races held after the Nationals on 14th Jan. ? Our club is looking at holding 1 or 2 races.

• Advertisement

calistro wrote: »
    Just wondering what the appetite would be for CX races held after the Nationals on 14th Jan. ? Our club is looking at holding 1 or 2 races.

Do it!!

Everyone in great shape after the nationals, best time to be racing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I know clubs that have organised races later in the season struggled to break even in the past.  Racing finishes up end of November for a lot of us not doing nationals so January would be time for a break and then prep for mtb/road season.  First MTB race is usually in February.

Don't believe her!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

25sean wrote: »
    Don't believe her!! :D
    I think you are one of the few wanting to race up to Worlds ;)

Hanging up my tubs after the last Fixx race.

True for you! Cross is full on and a Christmas rest is good and deserved if one is looking ahead to road/off-road racing...

Still, I think if CX is to grow in Ireland and be (just barely) on a level with other countries the calendar is something that needs to be stretched out to finish in February as they have in the UK, US and on the Continent etc.

I always thought it a shame to be in such great shape after the Nationals only to hose down the bikes and 'start eating cake'! As well the ground is in great CX shape with much more mud exposed after the cold has put a proper stop to all growth..

There was talk of it last year, and probably years before, but a league that would extend beyond the Nationals is what is needed to keep interest and numbers at the races. Fixx have their long-standing league but it could be time for the clubs in Leinster to come together(Bray, Epic, Navan, Orwell?? Tiernans?? Scott?) and put their races together as part of a Leinster league..

Not that hard to organize races, there are poles, boards and bodies that are there already to be shared between clubs.. just ask!

Bring on the racing!!!! Let there be MUD!!

Speaking as a retail worker. Post christmas races are dead on with me. Having raced grange castle and navan. I've to work every Sunday f t om now til christmas

any recommendations on a mud CX tyre? cyclocross kings? something around the 20 to 30 euro mark.
    so many out there and am unsure which to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

I'd say you'd get a great turn out for a race the week before nationals. Nothing in the calendar atm and people will want to get rid of their ring rust since the last race on the calendar anywhere seems to be 3 December

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Probably not a whole lot, I think someone tried this a year or two ago, people are starting to think about returning to the road or MTB after the nationals etc...

Run a test race and see how it goes, it's not easy just to put a few sticks and tape around a field and expect to have a well attended race which would also cover your costs..
    The races have to be run in a professional manner, just as the Fixx CX is...

Advertisement