Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They suffered on the cross but rose again.. Lenny, Rob and Alek's 16/17 cross thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

RobFowl wrote: »
    WTF, I look like an auld fella who can't stop falling off a bike now ???

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Great nights racing at cuchulainn cx last night. Nice to have coffee and tea afterwards

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Going to out Myself and Detones.
    We are doing the 3 peaks in just over 2 weeks now.
    Personally bricking it, avoiding racing cross so far as trying not to do the short intensive racing more longer steadier stuff.
    Know for a fact haven't done enough running.
    Doing a Run/Bike/Run thingy tomorrow more as training and prep than anything.
    Koutobia will be pleased to know I will be wearing my rear entry tri suit....

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q90aA7RkZyY&t=1871s

evening watching now that Game of Thrones is over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Just a heads up, online reg is open. Track is running well and as usual we have some new additions to it! We have been busy with tools, strimmers an mowers these last few weeks. Look forward to seeing some of you there! Coffee is booked as is the curry! :cool:

Online reg here
    https://www.myrunresults.com/events/navan_road_club_cx_in_the_park/2418/details

XNOIextl.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

For Sunday October 8th:

Munster round 1 in Ennis is also open
    https://cyclingireland.azolve.com/workbench/public/events?ref=EE3D69CCE07B70F2F59923162276653402D713C9

The "B-Race - CI Member" Entry is not showing up, classic CI Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Going to out Myself and Detones.
    We are doing the 3 peaks in just over 2 weeks now.
    Personally bricking it, avoiding racing cross so far as trying not to do the short intensive racing more longer steadier stuff.
    Know for a fact haven't done enough running.
    Doing a Run/Bike/Run thingy tomorrow more as training and prep than anything.
    Koutobia will be pleased to know I will be wearing my rear entry tri suit....

How did yiz get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

EPIC MTB are running a race in Firhouse on the 15th October.
    No more details to hand currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Peterx wrote: »
    EPIC MTB are running a race in Firhouse on the 15th October..

opcyhl.png

Sign on limited to 100 riders:

https://fs25.formsite.com/twracing/form47/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

After missing kilternan, really looking forward to Grangecastle this weekend :)

• Advertisement

Has anyone received email with parking details fir grange castle this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

My 3 Peaks Race Report. Im no journalist and its a Bit long winded but hard to describe in a few words.....

Race Report by Tony O Farrell after completion of last weekends 3 peaks event with Conor McGrane.

3 Peaks What Can I say ….

Nothing I have read, researched, watched or listened to could have prepared me for this event.

So on a relatively mild September Sunday morning I find myself in the middle of the Yorkshire Countryside about to start the 55th running of the 3 Peaks Cyclocross Race surrounded by 650 other riders about to race this event. This is a unique event which is Billed as the World’s Toughest Cyclocross Race. Myself and VCB’s finest Conor McGrane have travelled over from Dublin and I have no shame in admitting I’m sh1tting bricks.

So we line up just ahead of the 4 hr finishers, we both thought a 4hr 30 would be a realistic time to achieve. Looking around there is a good mix of cyclists. We are all crammed onto a narrow road in Hewlith Bridge, the start just positioned behind a small humpback bridge. So off it goes… The Start which is meant to be neutralised goes off at a fairly manic pace. Very like a big Road race, most lads are riding well and there’s no messing so I feel very comfortable. There is around 6k of Road to cover before we start hitting the off road stuff and farm paths. I feel relatively good and I am positioned well. I generally start races strong then true to form implode. Today would be no exception. So after the road section I am in the top or 10% or 20% but that was soon to change, we hit the off-road sections and that’s pretty quick and ride able but eventually the ground gets boggy and too steep to continue there is a small ramp to carry the bike up and then I’m off again but now facing the start of Simon Fells, probable the most iconic and difficult part of the race. I was just not prepared for how hard it was going to be. It was ridiculously steep over 45% in parts. Very soon into it any desire to move at speed stopped I was already in survival mode, from here on I was continually passed by people for the entire day bar the odd decent or road section. I had really not done the right prep for this event, about 6 weeks prior to the 3 peaks just as I was ramping up my training I had a spill on the bike damaging my shoulder. This injury nearly stopped me from going but it healed very quickly but meant any shouldering practice or hill climbing was out. It was only 2 weeks before the event the shoulder started to feel good again.

The effort required to scale a mountain hillside while shouldering a bike was immense. I could not believe the landscape we were attempting to “race” on. It was mental stuff. I was literally counting my steps trudging forward very slowly bit by bit, slipping trying not to fall grabbing tuffs of grass complete with sheep sh1t to try stay upright. On the steepest part of Simon Fell another rider to my left had had a bad fall and got tangled in the barbed wire in the fence line to the left. He had plenty of help so no point in stopping. On I plodded ,eventually getting to the top of Simon Fells only to be greeting by the sight of much more mountain to climb. I thought to myself If I can get through the first climb I can do this. So after a mixture of pushing, shouldering and clambering the bike over rocks I eventually make my way to the peak and the first time check. I easily estimate my slow accent up the climb has cost me 100 places. So now I can get back on the bike and off I go. It’s not long however before I’m on my ear, I get it wrong going over some rocks and get thrown off the bike luckily hitting my helmet off some jagged rocks. From cyclocross racing your nearly just instinctively shrug it off and hop back on the bike again. The decent down Ingleborough is mostly rideable. At the top there is a steep rocky section you needed to carry but from then on is mostly quick and boggy. I’m going well again on the decent and feeling good but as I found the whole day long as soon as you think things are going good it usually gets real tough real quick and half way down the decent I hit a ditch too hard and fly straight over the handlebars landing in relatively soft wet boggy ground, pick myself up wipe the bog water out of my eyes and off we go again. Trying to make up for lost time I push hard and sure as shi1te end up in another ditch upside down but again I’m back on feet fairly quickly. I enjoy the rest of the decent and eventually start to see and hear people and the bottom which is encouraging. Shortly after we are back on the road again and still descending now at a decent speed, 70kphr at one point. I’m finally starting to pass people again woo hoo!! The road section again is relatively uneventful and the only real opportunity I had to make up places. We take a sharp left off the road go through another farmyard up another lane facing the next climb Whernside

This climb up Whernside was relatively straight forward. My legs are now wrecked and I can only cycle so far up the hill., I really had to dig deep to get up this climb, I started to fear not being able to finish, worrying that I would cramp up, worrying that i'd just run out of energy and get stuck up the mountain. So yet again it a combination of pushing, shouldering and anything else all the way to the top After the top there is rideable rocky section. The surface is nothing like I’ve ridden before, its jagged rocks everywhere, your never comfortable on the bike. I start to over think everything and start consciously trying to avoid particular sections or rocks and as a result end up going straight into them. The next crash come after hitting such rocks hard. I’m thrown from the bike again and the bike takes a beat of a beating. Again I clamber back on, fix the chain and away I go but any sense of calm shortly goes when I realise my front brake is not working and I still have 2 mountains to descend. The next decent is particularly brutal. There is a series of slippery slabs laid for 100’s of meters down the hill. With no front brake I had no chance to ride it so again I’m pushing and carrying until it becomes a gravel track again. The next section downhill I enjoy and manage at speed. I get into a rhythm of bunny hopping the drains and making good progress but again on a steep grassed area I lose control, forget I have no front brake and end up on my arse again. Onwards and upwards. I’m nearly down the decent. There is a small river to cross and I negotiate this fine but shortly after I hop back on the bike I crash again losing control on a relatively easy section. This crash hurt and I now start to really throw my toys out of the pram. I’m furious with myself. I throw a complete wobbly and start cursing and shouting out loud “ Tony you stupid f@cking W@nker”to the horror of the family near me out for a Sunday stroll, The thoughts of launching my bike into the narrow river crossed my mind but I compose my little brain make my apologies to the family and continue on.

We pass under the beautiful Aqueduct and again there is collection of people and supporters for all the riders, this helps lift the spirits. The next road section goes particularly well for me. I find a strong group and make good time passing a good few riders with this group. So again a sharp left and up another lane facing the final climb of the day Penyghent With fresh legs or higher gearing I felt I could have cycled much further Penyghent then I did, but I just didn’t have the legs. There is a 2 way system in operation on this lane and lads are absolutely smashing it coming down, I am in disbelieve at the speed they go over rocks the size of tennis balls, it’s also a little disheartening to realise these lads have been up and down the climb I haven’t even started yet! All the way up you hear the load screeching of brakes, the crushing and movement of rocks as the riders fly past descending at break neck speeds. I’m beyond wrecked at this stage, I start to switch of mentally and nearly forget to stay left to avoid the lads coming down. For the majority of the climb I’m able to push the bike which I find more manageable then shouldering. The top rocky section and steps require you to shoulder and slowly again bit by bit step by step I make my way forward. Its painfully slow put as long as I’m moving I’m going forward edging my way closer to the top and closer to the finish. Eventually near the top a marshal says only 30 more steps and I actually count them down in my head until I make it. Again I face the prospect of another decent with no front brake. The decent was much more rideable but by now I was physically and mentally gone. I attempt to ride the first steep section but the sheer drop to my left changes my mind and were carrying again. This decent was probably the most frustrating of the day, I know I had the ability to ride it but had to walk for sections as I had no confidence with just the back brake. Once I get down the steep bit I’m back on the bike and and just as I get comfortable we hit the narrow lane, the rocky surface is just so hard to ride, it’s exhausting going down and I’m just glad when it’s over. Fortunately the river crossing was my last crash but I still manage to get it wrong on the lane and end up in a load of nettles but keep the bike upright. I’m in so much discomfort now the nettle stings are barely noticeable. The final road section is a bit of a slog as I’m wrecked but goes fairly well and fast. I cross the humpback bridge again and make the final right turn to the finish line. I have made it and I am relieved to say the least. It’s taken me 5hr 30mins. This is a full hour more than I thought. In truth id say the brakes at most only cost me 15 minutes I lost most my time with the hill walking but for me it was a huge accomplishment to participate and finish it.

It was a great weekend and great crack doing it with Conor I Was delighted we both finished but
    Would I ever do it again? Give me a few weeks and I’ll tell ya ….

Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Excellent read Tony. Fair play to you for being able to recall so much. I recognise your comment on hardly been able to walk up hills rather than race them from doing a few IMRA runs. If you are ever of the mind to do the 3 Peaks Again maybe a few of the IMRA races next summer for training

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Tony, seems like one of the ordeals that will bring a grin to your face till the end of the days :) Great stuff!

Tony for the Tortour Cyclocross in February!!!

Great report.

There was a report from McNally Swords CC from 2014 -> http://swordscc.com/3-peaks-cyclocross/

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Tony for the Tortour Cyclocross in February!!!

Great report.

There was a report from McNally Swords CC from 2014 -> http://swordscc.com/3-peaks-cyclocross/

Never even heard of that. Looks great ;-)

http://www.sport.be/cyclocrossclassics/1718/neerpelt/nl/

On today at 3, irish time.... streamed cyclingfans steephill etc....

another van der poel onslaught?

perfect warm up ahead of Grange tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

Hey guys,

Not sure if there's any racing down south next week. For those of you that are itching to race, Phoenix are hosting a race on a "classic" course that held the nationals a few years ago. They also want to highlight a complete women's only race. Hopefully that pdf is attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Euppy wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Not sure if there's any racing down south next week. For those of you that are itching to race, Phoenix are hosting a race on a "classic" course that held the nationals a few years ago. They also want to highlight a complete women's only race. Hopefully that pdf is attached.

Planning on racing. One of my favourite courses. Fingers crossed for some mud.

Navan also on that day. Like the idea of an earlier race in Belfast
    Tough decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Was really enjoying Grange castle till the fourth lap where I made an epic fail coming to the board, ended up clouting it with my hand and sprained my wrist. Fair play to Lenny who had a decent race and one other boardsie whose name escapes me.

Great racing in grange castle today. First open cx for me. Need to work on my dismounting skills. Wind was a b@$tardy to deal with but otherwise great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Another dry sunny non mucky race yesterday. Bike was clean after the race. Quite windy though.
    GrangeCastle's new course was better then the previous one I thought. More interesting sections, some innocuous looking sweeping corners which were easy in practice and slippery as a eel at race pace. Longish lap gave more people a chance of not getting lapped.
    Had a good race after my usual pathetic start and clawed back places I shouldn't have lost, got cheered on by 3 Peaks hero detones and his kids, which was nice.
    The announcer did a super job, I nearly felt I was watching the two lads battling into that last corner, even though I was 5 minutes away :)

32 women racing, loads of kids racing, millions of B riders and over 70 in the A's.
    CX is popular.

Peterx wrote: »
    Another dry sunny non mucky race yesterday. Bike was clean after the race. Quite windy though.
    GrangeCastle's new course was better then the previous one I thought. More interesting sections, some innocuous looking sweeping corners which were easy in practice and slippery as a eel at race pace. Longish lap gave more people a chance of not getting lapped.
    Had a good race after my usual pathetic start and clawed back places I shouldn't have lost, got cheered on by 3 Peaks hero detones and his kids, which was nice.
    The announcer did a super job, I nearly felt I was watching the two lads battling into that last corner, even though I was 5 minutes away :)

32 women racing, loads of kids racing, millions of B riders and over 70 in the A's.
    CX is popular.

First unplaced VET! Go Peter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Gridding can win or lose the race for you!
    35avvw3.jpg

https://fs25.formsite.com/twracing/form47/index.html

Great course by the Burren Racing Team today in Ennis.
    Singletrack, Gravel, Belgian Stairs, Off-Camber end to the lap, Soggy ground, mud, rocks, trees and a Mario Kart-style shortcut.
    I didn't have the drifting skills to ride the Costcutter Hill descent.

That John O'Sullivan park is a serious set up, if they could get a race track like Corkagh Park in there, it'd be fabulous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Great race in Firhuose yesterday.
    Epic put on a great show.
    Rumours abound though that Dirk was beaten by an old man......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lol. That's what I get for starting at the back. And being slow. And running the half pipe a couple of times.

As Rob said, what a great race they put on! Super amount of organisation and they ticked all the boxes: great coffee, organised sign-on without any issue, clearly marked and well marshalled course (probably the best I've seen) and absolutely banging tunes!

I wasn't mad on the course, it was a little more mountain bikey than I like, need more long stretches of just working the lungs, but it was still a lot of fun.

Great to see a lot of locals out too, lots of people were really curious about it. CX is a great way to get non-cyclists hooked on the sport and maybe get their kids out to have a go. There might be a future national champion that will be inspired to get on a bike after seeing one of those races....

...or completely turned off if they see the B race :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Did you perchance have a boards.ie head cap/bandanna yoke on?

Advertisement