Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They suffered on the cross but rose again.. Lenny, Rob and Alek's 16/17 cross thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Anyone know if there's any post Xmas cx races scheduled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's any post Xmas cx races scheduled

National Championships.

2 rounds of Kinning Cycles League in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Lovely 2km race course in Firhouse yesterday. Well organised by EPIC mtb with plenty of twists and turns on the lap which allowed Robin Seymour to showcase his cornering speed and dominate the field, lapping all but 7 or 8 riders.
    Included in the lappees was me, unfortunately. The bright side of getting lapped is seeing in technicolour the speed that corners can be taken at by someone who can cycle.
    Young Adam McGarr wasn't amongst the lappees and is another young lad with a big future ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Agreed, a great course. Starting at the back and having to run through the half pipe section was great fun.
    Great enjoyment watching the Women's and A races.
    The coffee was terrible though, some one really dropped the ball there.

I think Brendan was the only rider bunny hopping the tall barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Super event yesterday was in b's. Very well run. Takes a huge effort and a lot of volenteers. Brendan is a talented young fella alright and im sure will be beating me soon! Fairly nippy and was hard to stay warm before start. Was glad when it did start. Was at the front but had a shocking start (usually my strong point). Couldnt clip in for a full 100m and even got a helpful push at one stage. The course was a good challenge. The halfpipes where tough and the steep bit after was a killer. Im getting much better at remounting still not the quickest but had no issues with the boards yesterday. Technically i could really do with improving on riding through the bumpy stuff. I really struggle with this. The bumpy flat sections yesterday cost me. My fitness also work thats just down to lack of training. 4 hours in the past 2 weeks is not enough. Once i have to run im Goosed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 mone

The final round of the Munster CX league takes place in Drombane, Thurles, Co. Tipperary this Sunday 27th November.

The event is hosted by Upperchurch Drombane Cycling Club.

Online registration is open at https://fs27.formsite.com/Udcccx/form1/index.html

postersmall.jpg

Anyone ride a boardman cx? Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Heavy.

Heavier than a tcx? Lookin at either boardman cx team or giant tcx 2. Boardman has cable pull dusc brakes and sram rival. Tcx ha sx canti and 105

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Alek wrote: »
    Heavy.

Dont ride one but everyone I know says that.
    Heavy but excellent in every other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Timetable for Killruddery CX, November 27th

There is online registration at the following address https://fs27.formsite.com/BrayWheelers/form1/index.html
    Online sign on will close on Friday 25th November at 1300. There will sign on on the day if the maximum numbers are not reached.

## Sign on open from 10:00 on Sunday morning ##

A - Race @13.30

- Overall
    - M40
    - Junior

B Race @12.00

- Overall
    - M60
    - M50
    - U16

Women's Race @11.00

- Overall
    - U18
    - U16

*Online Sign-on available, max 100 inclusive of all Catergories

Prize Giving (Sign-on Area)

- Women's race: 12:10
    - B Race: 13:00
    - A Race: 13:50

Youth races from 10 am.
    No chip timing - Sign-on on the day
    U14
    U12
    U10
    U8
    U6

Prices
    Adults -20 euro
    Junior U18 U16 -10 euro
    U6-U14 -Free

Parking
    Ample parking onsite

Bike wash
    Yes. There will be power washers in the pits.

Refreshments
    There will be tea/coffee and stew available on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Copied and pasted post above on times and details ahead of Bray Wheelers Killruddery CX this coming Sunday, Nov 27th.

It will be a MUDFEST!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Anyone ride a boardman cx? Opinions?

I have a 2016 Boardman CX Team (size 55) and find it fairly nippy, has carbon forks/1x11 SRAM Rival. I haven't entered any CX races but is great fun lashing around the Phoenix park, canal paths etc.

Looking to replace it btw :o realized I am more of MTB man at heart.

December 4th: Navan CX Round 3: Blackwater Park AKA The Leinster Champs.

Pre-Entry: on CyclingIreland €20 - Location: 53°39'44.2"N 6°41'42.0"W M50 exit 6 and M3 exit 9... Don't forget to pay the tolls.

Some of you who registered weeks ago when it was just two options, should check with the organisers that you're in the right race.

Race times:
    10:30 - Youth (U16),M40,M50,M60
    11:30 - Women
    12:30 - B-Race (for everyone else who only wants Leinster Bragging Rights) Elite,BRace,Women,Junior,Youth,U23,M40,M50,M60
    13:30 - A Race - Elite,ARace,Junior (U18),U23

They have a great course, Beer Bear and great Coffee (the Double Macchiato is particularly nice). Carpark is kinda small, so get there early.

Note: I am not associated with Navan RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Heavier than a tcx? Lookin at either boardman cx team or giant tcx 2. Boardman has cable pull dusc brakes and sram rival. Tcx ha sx canti and 105

My boardman cx team has hydro discs.
    Have another look at the spec.
    By the way mine works like a dream the 1x is excellent and doesn't collect the ****e around the BB like my old 2x10 did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

25sean wrote: »
    Copied and pasted post above on times and details ahead of Bray Wheelers Killruddery CX this coming Sunday, Nov 27th.

It will be a MUDFEST!!!!!!!

What is Kilruddery like? Hasn't been much mud yet this winter so perhaps the course runs through some serious muddy sections?
    Will be making my belated 'cross debut tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

Killruddery will be muddy! Best of luck to anyone taking part tomorrow. There are still some spaces left but it's first come first served in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Kilruddery was great craic, thanks Bray Wheelers for putting it up.

Apologies to the mtb-er who was exiting the spiral of confusion when I got thrown into the opposite lane going into same. Took note of the rutt there onthe subsequent lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Enjoyed that today- thanks Bray Wheelers for a good day in the mud!
    Got round todays B race despite having no front brakes. Thankfully the course had very few undulations and I suppose I didn't really need them.
    The money pit that is 'cross racing has opened up again- broken spoke, buckled wheel, damaged left shifter and new brake set up needed. And I didnt fall once.
    Got away lightly this time!

The water in the tractor tyre rutts must've been delicious. Better than Ballygown I heard one lad say.

Thanks to all at Bray Wheelers for the race and running course repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Thanks to Bray Wheelers for today's racing. Great course and you didn't lie when you said there'd be mud. Think most of the spectators enjoyed themselves at the mud bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Enjoyable race, my cornering is woeful. I'd blast past loads any chance of speed only to lose it all again on the technical parts. Landed in the water twice and list it once at the turn starting the lap after the walkway. Bike took a hammering! Fortunately I'm good

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Thanks to Bray Wheelers for today's racing. Great course and you didn't lie when you said there'd be mud. Think most of the spectators enjoyed themselves at the mud bath.

You could hear the roars of appreciation sporadically coming from the gang assembled beside that deep hole. I satisfied the crowd on 3 occasions.

It was great fun. Loved it. But the post-race clean up does take a while.

Cheers Bray

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

CyRisH8WIAA0HmB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭SuperSean

RobFowl wrote: »
    CyRisH8WIAA0HmB.jpg

Hard luck man. I lost a derailleur on this course last year, made it through this time! Albeit with a few bruises haha

Great race, really enjoyed today!

I've a drive side wobble on the crank which I can't get my head around as it's the "fixed" side with the non drive the part that detaches . I'd the foresight to head straight for the power washer, queue seemed to rake an age as I watched the a race. They didn't provide half the entertainment at the water/tractor tyre part

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I heard somone saying they lost a Garmin in there! I went in a few times to the satisfaction of the vultures gathered around the watering hole. Next time I'm bringing a snorkel.

God knows what is left in there, many a man's dignity anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Good course, not technically tough but just so much mud! Really enjoyed it despite not having a great result myself. Credit to Sean and Bray Wheelers for putting on a great event!

I approached Sean before the women's race and got talking about the course changes and how rubbish I was in the really slick mud...he looked at me like I had two heads, so I came to the conclusion that he was probably one of those children who drove their mother mad running around in the mud all day, whereas I would have tended to tiptoe around it.

One crash as the start after an Epic rider took us both down (gent though, he apologised after and I simply said no need as that was part of the sport!) followed by a mud bath where another rider accused me of having done that for the second time (not a gent, and clearly confused as it was my one and only fall into it!)

If I could point out one thing for next time, I found the wooden boards in the bomb hole really dangerous. It might have been my shoes, but even going gingerly through it I nearly ended up on my back a couple of times. Very slippy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

CySyyIBWQAAIAcz.jpg:large

Advertisement