Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Autumn/Winter 2016/2017 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Gfs 06z falling into line with ECM 0z and ensembles. The usual caveats apply of course. Amazing run though all the same :)

222-7UK.GIF?10-6
    240-779UK.GIF?10-6

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Possible B-EAST developing.......:D To early to tell as we don"t know how this cold spell of weather will really pan out.

qx4avn.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Latest ECM currently rolling out and still looking good for an Easterly to develop next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Latest ECM currently rolling out and still looking good for an Easterly to develop next week.

Looking really good indeed but that ecm has lead us down the garden path many a time before.....Not getting excited yet...Once bitten twice shy and all that larksmile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Forgive my ignorance but the ECM is showing the lines of pressure 7 days out to be lower than the pressure around Ireland. Would that suggest cold air but little or no cloud/precip given the relative high pressure surrounding us?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ECM0-192.GIF?10-0

Snow for all.

Surely it's too good to be true, but nice to look at all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

The Easterly\Extended cold snap looks to have moved back west, could change again. Would think some chances of something, just not as strong.

Moved east you mean
    It might be back later;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Moved east you mean
    It might be back later;)

Latest GFS shows that the cold that had been looking like moving back east is showing as moving west again towards us, in the latest runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

highdef wrote: »
    Latest GFS shows that the cold that had been looking like moving back east is showing as moving west again towards us, in the latest runs.

Oh for God's sake!! On off on off on off.. Which is it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Call me Al wrote: »
    Oh for God's sake!! On off on off on off.. Which is it!

It's both and neither, in varying degrees of probability until nearer to the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Joe Bastardi is rather confident.

https://twitter.com/bigjoebastardi/status/819155482283823105

He thinks it will be like 2013.
    That was very cold but frosty, the countryside was burnt by frost, maybe we get snow this time which would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

RobertKK wrote: »
    Joe Bastardi is rather confident.

https://twitter.com/bigjoebastardi/status/819155482283823105

He thinks it will be like 2013.
    That was very cold but frosty, the countryside was burnt by frost, maybe we get snow this time which would be better.

He will eventually get lucky and get it right. Prone to hypebole and attention seeking

gensnh-4-1-264.png

Another interesting fi chart. Possible height rises in Greenland due to the pv moving east.
    There is certainly no sign of raging zonality at the moment from any of the models, but after Friday we will be on the mild side for several days, while England experiences a cool and dry continental feed.
    I think it's still very much game on for a more sustained colder outbreak

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The EC 12 Op is cheeky!!

Would be probably colder than the coldest 0z EC Ensemble! Who would be a Forecaster

ECM1-168.GIF

Beast from the East is back ON. Another super ECM 12z run rolling out now. Charts to follow

We are very much BACK in business

ECM1-192.GIF?11-0

Look at the low pressure in Iberia, surely the high can only go one direction from there, if the ECM is correct.

Somewhere Gerry Murhpy's face is contorting with horror as he contemplates his next tv forecast after seeing the latest ECM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

Given that the pressure is high am I right in thinking that there won't be any snow with this just cold and frosty? If it comes off!

ECM1-192.GIF?11-0

Look at the low pressure in Iberia, surely the high can only go one direction from there, if the ECM is correct.

Somewhere Gerry Murhpy's face is contorting with horror as he contemplates his next tv forecast after seeing the latest ECM :D

Also look at the diving low in the Atlantic,heading for the Med?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Deatr wrote: »
    Given that the pressure is high am I right in thinking that there won't be any snow with this just cold and frosty? If it comes off!

Pressure is a bit high for my liking, but, as somebody said yesterday, get the cold here first and then worry about snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

Deatr wrote: »

Yes that chart is dry but 2 days later @240hrs it's showing possible snowmageddon!

ECM1-240.GIF?11-0

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Pressure is a bit high for my liking, but, as somebody said yesterday, get the cold here first and then worry about snow!

Pressure is 1020 at 240

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Rougies wrote: »
    Yes that chart is dry but 2 days later @240hrs it's showing possible snowmageddon!

ECM1-240.GIF?11-0

Indeed it is! Nothing short of full blowen Blizzard conditions. If it did happen (not likely) 1947 setup. Epic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Pressure is 1020 at 240

I'll take that! :)

Went back over my records of November/December 2010...it was pretty much dry once pressure was over 1025.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

If it wasnt for the brief mild interlude on Sunday, snow falling tomorrow would hang around on north facing surfaces for quite a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah, once I hit 1028mb on December 3, 2010, it was bone dry with no snowfall again 'til 4 days later, December 7 when pressure dropped back down to 1015mb.

EDIT: Oops sorry didn't notice this was the FI Charts thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

Thanks gents!! I'm off to Swedish Lapland on Monday with work hopefully I'll bring something back with me on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

T minus how many hours are we at if the beasterly confirms lads? NW is too hard to follow, charts just constantly get pushed back to 240+.. are we anywhere near a realistic time yet?

• Advertisement

Couple of points
    Easterlies don't need as low uppers as they travel over much more land than sea
    Consequently they can have very low dew points with the surface air they bring in
    This is type of already frozen conditions our easterly will be traveling over

https://twitter.com/severeweathereu/status/819264825129861120

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement