Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Autumn/Winter 2016/2017 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ermm, not quite!

I know :P:P. I realised after I posted that :o:o. Very embarrassing. Just forget I posted ok? :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What exactly does this show?

The Atlantic being refused entry:

An undercutting low, due to height rises to the north, the jet stream on a more southerly track, possible continental flow incoming.

We have been led up the garden path before by the ECW a lot this winter. Mind you the gfs in its outer reaches is quite interesting too. Also a UKMO meteorologist has said from what they are seeing Feburary could be interesting as it goes on due to strat events.

Another false alarm- back to the bunker

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very active week next week for wind and rain, Weds night/ Thurs morning one to watch atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The charts are continuing to show a very unsettled February.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The models in some agreement of a possible vigorous storm , around Thurs 2nd . At present showing low pressure of between 955 -965 hPa with very close isobars and coming in very close to Ireland with strong SW'ly / W'ly winds. The charts below I think should be viewed as a guide at this stage as this could change somewhat, but the various models have been showing this for a few days now. After that the weekend showing the chance of some stormy weather also.

eGpqwE2.gif

rvnnhjb.png

vhqAjLJ.png?1

AzCzxAV.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So looks like a windy day for next Thursday.

The Jet looking strong next week end, models showing fast moving Lp systems

LwsBS5u.png?1

ZP6YyRH.gif

jzYFTay.png

ocvN3AM.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

:pac:
    gens-16-1-216_lls6.png

Looking at the models for the weekend it would seem to me at the moment that the Lp systems seem to be keeping a more Southerly track along the lines of the Jet, with France and Southern England getting the strongest winds and S, SE and E of Ireland possibly seeing less strong winds ( if they materialize ).

vMKBez9.png

80F8IOZ.png?1

The Jet looks to keep that Southerly track for a time going into Feb , colder weather ?

Prz6p00.png

The GFS showing Saturdays possible storm move further North on the latest run giving the Southern coasts the strongest winds. Long way off with lots of twists and turns no doubt over the coming days.

RwguiZ7.png?1

https://twitter.com/MattHugo81/status/825629113155215360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Looks like some places that aren't as accustomed to winter storms, like Iceland, the Faroes, Shetlands and Scotland, could get hit over the next 10 days. Places like southern England, France, Portugal, Spain and who knows the southern half of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Interest picking up again for some winter weather. Warming is taking place, Chris Fawkes on Twitter has said we are on the threshold of a major warming event (no expert on warming events myself, but growing chatter about it around). Big block building to our East, FI on several models we see it starting to nudge NW but can't see any further bar the GFS. Northern Hemisphere profiles will be an interesting watch to see how the polar vortex behaves. GEFS starting to throw out some eye candy once more.

It may all come to nothing - but what's an Irish winter without getting back on the roller coaster for the 10th time.

In the meantime, plenty of interesting wind events to watch out for - will help pass the time along waiting around for development on mid-February potential.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-strat.php?run=2017013006&var=HGT&lev=10mb&hour=384

yes, please:). If, a huge if, this chart , or something similar to it, verifies around that time, this place could get busy again.

nagdefy wrote: »
    Looks like some places that aren't as accustomed to winter storms, like Iceland, the Faroes, Shetlands and Scotland, could get hit over the next 10 days. Places like southern England, France, Portugal, Spain and who knows the southern half of Ireland.

Good point. There is the potential for a nasty system to hit southern England next weekend. The winds in London don't need to be that strong to cause havoc, especially given the poor root foundations of trees in some spots. A year or two ago an Irishman was killed when a tree fell on his car up near Watford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

GFS showing some strong winds up the Irish Sea on Thursday. Could be a problem along the coast at high tide.

78-21UK_xip1.GIF

78-289UK_drj3.GIF

ECM and UKMO, similar though not as bad for the east coast.

ECU1-72_qwk8.GIF

U72-21UK_aks2.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

FI looking interesting again, with plenty of cherry picking

gem-0-240.png?12

gens-13-1-336.png

What's this one going to do!

d0Xc8rw.gif

MDFEcPE.gif

• Advertisement

What's this one going to do!

d0Xc8rw.gif

MDFEcPE.gif

That's the one the BBC weather were talking about earlier today. Usually those systems tends to track further south closer to the time, so France could get hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Is this winter finally going to deliver? Encouraging signs appearing on the models, background signals all solid too.

Hopefully not another garden path...

gfs-0-240.png?6

If things align correctly on Friday, there could be some fine sledging conditions on the Wicklow mountains by Saturday morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Is this winter finally going to deliver? Encouraging signs appearing on the models, background signals all solid too.

Hopefully not another garden path...

what do you see in that picture? I see a col to our West and ourselves being in a ridge, chances for early morning fog, light winds, generally dry and stable air, sunny but cold

just wondering if I'm interpreting the charts differently than most of you here, I can't say I'm very experienced at this..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

If things align correctly on Friday, there could be some fine sledging conditions on the Wicklow mountains by Saturday morning....

where are you getting this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

martinsvi wrote: »
    what do you see in that picture? I see a col to our West and ourselves being in a ridge, chances for early morning fog, light winds, generally dry and stable air, sunny but cold

just wondering if I'm interpreting the charts differently than most of you here, I can't say I'm very experienced at this..

I'd agree with most of that, however the charts that followed showed lows sliding down accross/to the south of Ireland with numerous possibilities for snow events due to the entrenched cold air. All hypothetical at this stage anyway.

Blocking theme continuing on the 12z's, nothing certain at this stage at all but once again and not for the first time this winter there is a lot of potential in the charts and its in the mid-range, not just in the far reaches of FI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I'd agree with most of that, however the charts that followed showed lows sliding down accross/to the south of Ireland with numerous possibilities for snow events due to the entrenched cold air. All hypothetical at this stage anyway.

Blocking theme continuing on the 12z's, nothing certain at this stage at all but once again and not for the first time this winter there is a lot of potential in the charts and its in the mid-range, not just in the far reaches of FI.

Theres a great day 10 ecm chart. You dont see that very often.........( btw thats a joke folks)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Too much chat in here

ECM1-240.GIF
    gens-0-1-384.png
    J264-21.GIF?31-12
    gens-0-0-384.png
    gens-9-0-384.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Cant post charts but the gem canadian model has -20 uppers in the se uk and proper cold here too by next weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement