Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Autumn/Winter 2016/2017 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Well the latest run is horrible but I still think the cold will break through from the east next weekend or soon after. The next few runs will be interesting. Why do we do this to our selfs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

More consistency now for the first week of January with high pressure to rule throughout, the LP in the Azores seems to be the main variable but nothing too interesting in the short term for us either way. No real trend beyond that so pointless speculating

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

On the latest runs the northern arm of the jet stream look to ruin the chances of a second cold spell developing. It forces the high to sit over us rather than retrogress. It really has been the fly in the ointment thus far this winter.
    I think i will just buy a snow machine at this stage:D
    Still the winter of 1947 did not really begin till the 20th of January. Maybe in a week from now there will be a massive scandi high about to develop which will pave the way for the siberan snow train to head this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

The 12z GFS has us back on the Atlantic storm train in FI.

I think we may get rid of the gfs. It sure does love it's storms.

Either that or move to Greece for a bit of snow.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Not a very pretty picture tonight, perhaps we should enjoy the next 24 hours, cold front passage and risk of some sleet/hail showers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Gfs is back to bitter cold nonsense in FI again with -11 850 air over Ireland from the north east and plenty snow trains
    See attached

The ECM has the atlantic in charge next weekend
    That's the form horse
    I notice Harlem Lautz (apologies for the spelling) with German common sense and efficiency on the radio this morning,Used the words 'it looks like' referring to the rain towards the weekend
    That's a better phrasing on what could change

Meanwhile have a look at the eye candy I suppose
    There are walk in freezers available in various stores around the country if you want to take it further...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking at the next couple of weeks into FI territory can see no clear patterns but it would seem that HP's are more dominant ( certainly disruptive to the Zonal type weather we saw last year at this time). GFS looks tasty all right around the 14 - 15th but way too early to believe in it. The Jet seems to keep in a Northerly track above Ireland until around the 10th and then plunges South possibly opening the door and letting that polar grip over Ireland and bringing down cooler PM air for a few days thereafter perhaps ?

MwRU4Vb.png?1

MGIs5HA.png?1

ft9LIpQ.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Gfs is back to bitter cold nonsense in FI again with -11 850 air over Ireland from the north east and plenty snow trains
    See attached

The ECM has the atlantic in charge next weekend
    That's the form horse
    I notice Harlem Lautz (apologies for the spelling) with German common sense and efficiency on the radio this morning,Used the words 'it looks like' referring to the rain towards the weekend
    That's a better phrasing on what could change

Meanwhile have a look at the eye candy I suppose
    There are walk in freezers available in various stores around the country if you want to take it further...

AFAIK Harm Luijkx is Dutch. He is married to Joanna Donnelly. Both of them cone across as massively laid back, which is a big plus in my book! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The models really have been ridiculous. The NAO and AO are trending negative which would normally bring some quite cold weather but the models are not showing cold weather to be taking place. And the QBO is very unique with no year since the early 20th century having a similar QBO. The temperatures over the North Pole are very cold but then how is the AO trending negative?

True Syran ( you're posting :eek: )
    But leaving aside the near certainty of next weekends outlook now,I'd say I speak for most here if I said model watching is always exciting in winter when there's some snowmageddon in FI
    It ensures the interest to see where it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

945 on the GFS FI
    gfs-0-210.png?12

Nabber wrote: »
    945 on the GFS FI
    gfs-0-210.png?12

Ah for crying out loud :mad::cool:

Is it even worth believing the GFS anymore such a heartbreaker but this looks nice way into FI

Is it even worth believing the GFS anymore such a heartbreaker but this looks nice way into FI

Not worth the paper they're wrote on
    Probably will come around Easter which is too late but the most common form horse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Probably will come around Easter which is too late but the most common form horse

They'd make nice desktop wallpapers though, thinking of using one for my laptop. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Unfortunately that's so true. 2013 was a perfect example. The amount of times that year we had overnight snows, woke up to winter scenes every morning but by noon it was melted each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

What the models are showing is better than our usual winter. Way too much doom and gloom in the FI thread. I don't comment much on the chat, but it be nice to keep the FI for charts.

It's called FI for a reason :pac:. No real need for people to dismiss the charts.

We are not that far away from a Scandi high

UKMO
    UW72-21.GIF?03-06

GFS
    gfs-0-54.png?6?6

ECMF
    ECM1-48.GIF

It doesn't take much change in the Jet to give us something favorable.
    Bit of weaking over green land or a slight push further north. Got to keep dreaming

gfs-5-72.png?6

+384
    gfs-5-384.png?6

Part of the problem at times this winter has been a split jet, with the northern arm just too strong. I am starting to think we need an SSW event to get us out of the current rut. I admire your optimism, but it's doing my head in to see the constant teaser charts from GFS that seemingly always are at day 10, then when day 10 comes, the cold plunges down into south east europe. I suppose i should know better at this stage than to let it bother me.

The trend of the NAO and AO have been fixed now to positive territory up to mid-month but not extremely positive like the Christmas period of December, so don't expect any stormy conditions anytime soon. Thank god they have as they brainwashed my brain with how they were trending negative yet the stratospheric temperatures over the North Pole were very cold. But as expected, they are again trending negative from mid-month on..... I'm really not getting my hopes up. The most I'm expecting is neutral conditions.

Though I don't like using the CFS v2 as I find it the most ridiculous model, I just thought it'd be worth a mention here. The CFS v2 is showing the same conditions it predicted back in December with northern and mid-atlantic blocking with a trough to the east of us. Temperatures are trending below average for January in virtually the whole of Europe except Greenland and Iceland. Scandinavia has some warm and cold temperatures though. I do not believe in this at all.

The BCC shows a ridge in the mid-atlantic but stretching out to the eastern seaboard of the USA with a trough over us. Temperatures are rather above average but nothing spectacular. This is a much more believable scenario if you ask me.

But I do not trust each other as I'm expecting a very quiet month with some potential cold days but cold days like those in December (the odd frost here and there). Sometimes rain will come like Friday coming but it will mostly be very quiet with little rain again for the fourth month in a row (October, November, December and January). This goes against my prediction I set back in early December for a very cold, rather wet and sunny January but I am just not seeing my original prediction to be coming true at all (apart from the sunshine).

I find it funny how they all said for the coldest part of the Winter to be December but at this stage, could February be the coldest part of the Winter and that they were totally off :P?

ECM tonight completely different to output from the past week
    I do not like it but I can see why UK coldies may gather hope from it,I'll comment on that last

As early as 168,it has a storm coming down from the northwest and our current high migrating back into a mid Atlantic block
    It's a wierd set up,not cold enough for snow and delivers no High building WAA towards Iceland/Greenland
    Crucially the low scuppers heights building properly over Scandinavia either
    So we're still heading into an impasse/benignity,just a different kind of one

We also have signs of a high pushing out of Russia to further rain Quite literally on the snow parade
    It's the third factor

1.mid Atlantic blocking (disrupting height building up north)
    2.Northern arm of the jet active blowing lows and cold rain over the top of the MLB (mid latitude block aka our mid Atlantic high pressure)
    3. Siberian/Russian block appears whose impact will be to stall the jet stream and its lows (from factor 1 above) just to the north or over us ie a potential cold rain/showers neverendum (though the East Midlands of the UK may at times filter in enough continental cold to have some frontal snow at times)

Hence in short the outlook for the next 2 or three weeks is bland for Ireland
    But I hear there's model uncertainty (posh word is entropy) and given the stark change in output tonight versus last night ecm wise,maybe just maybe there'll be something new again tomorrow

Ecm attached

• Advertisement

12ZGFS day 8 looks interesting
    Our MLB is there but now there's a 1050mb Greenland high being fed WAA up the left hand side of the mid Atlantic high
    The storm to the North is there which if it heads into the North Sea by day 10 we have a set up for a long polar fetch north or north easterly behind it

Already FI but pleasant nonetheless being mid FI not far FI

I'll come back tomorrow unless there's something new of note in the ECM

Another GFS tease at day 8, which could easily be scuppered by the northern jet , it has led us up the garden path before only for the other models to say no. If the UKMO and ECM start trending the same way then it might be worth taking note of.

Looking great from the 12th. Is it to be lol probably not but if it all comes together it will be class :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Apart from statistics, theres any chance in the world the above could be pulled off. Stay positive !

Apart from statistics, theres any chance in the world the above could be pulled off. Stay positive !
    Every chance but if them charts was 4-5 days away I'd be getting very excited. The gfs has been a tease so far this winter. It's struggling to deal with cold weather.

Looking great from the 12th. Is it to be lol probably not but if it all comes together it will be class :)

Those would still be high ground events only even if they verified
    There's no surface cold to feed on,-6's and 7's over the Irish Sea wouldn't be enough
    Mt actually has a great way of putting it
    He says often about cold or heat that something might happen 'in stages'

There'll need to be a few attempts to get this right and we have 6 to 8 weeks so plenty of time if you get me?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'll raise my hopes if the charts stay more or less in-tact by the end of the week. Then again the following weekend. And again... and again... and again... and oh man its spring time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There are good signals for cold in the second half of January. Let's hope it can deliver

There are good signals for cold in the second half of January. Let's hope it can deliver

I wouldn't go buying shares in it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

We've been here before lads. If these charts show at 72 hrs ill take notice. Models have been performing very poorly this Winter so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement