Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Aye ... dogs don't bark at parked cars

Eh? I feel like the parked car in this analogy.

Apologies, I'll get back on narrative - this Dublin team is faultless, and every game they win counts amongst the greatest and most glorious victories against perennial top quality opposition.

All hail moving vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Aye ... dogs don't bark at parked cars

Agreed . . I'm out . .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Peist2007 wrote: »
    You quoted me saying that Kerry were average in a post that was summed up by you with an accusation of sour grapes. A complete schoolyard argument.

I'll make this even more simple - Dublin beat Mayo in a replay last year. Mayo were 5 points up in the drawn game with a couple of minutes to go. There's the reason why i think it will be close. Pretty logical also. Any reason for thinking it won't be close as you seem to be suggesting? Overconfidence much?

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,072 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But at the end of the day it's all subjective.
    Mayo peosee Dublin have problems against a average, by their standards, Kerry team as an indication that Dublin ate beatable.

Dublin people see their win v Kerry after being 3 down late in the game as an indication of their resilience.

Personally I think Dublin are as beatable adthey have been in a few years, but we will know soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Mayo lost by a point in a replay against Dublin in last year's semi final. Keep giving us no chance, suits us perfectly :)

I'm not giving ye no chance at all. In fact I'm more worried about ye than I am about the Evil Empire we just disposed of.

But some clam just called us "the most overrated team in history".

And given his bizarre reasonings behind that statement I want to know what Mayo are bringing to the table from his POV other than clichéd bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Mayo never led in the drawn game - the nearest I can think of to what you're alluding to is the 2014 NFL game in Croker

Yes they did. Just even doublechecked. They were 4 points clear (thought it was five but the kick was for five) when Keegan kicked it into the keeper's hands in the drawn game, a crucial moment.

Edit: the person i doublechecked with says it was in the replay that Keegan kicked it into the keeper's hands when Mayo were 4 up.

Slattsy wrote: »
    :o

For you, indeed.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Agreed . . I'm out . .

Not going to answer the reasonable points put to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Yes they did. Just even doublechecked. They were 4 points clear (thought it was five but the kick was for five) when Keegan kicked it into the keeper's hands in the drawn game, a crucial moment.

Look .. it's quite apparent your knowledge is coming from a google search - I'm telling you that you were 4 points up in the replay and were beaten by 7. I'm not going to debate a fact with you as I'd question whether you really know what's what ...

For you, indeed.

:o indeed.

• Advertisement

Look .. it's quite apparent your knowledge is coming from a google search - I'm telling you that you were 4 points up in the replay and were beaten by 7. I'm not going to debate a fact with you as I'd question whether you really know what's what ...

You said Mayo werent ahead in those games and thought i was referring to a league match in 2014. I have since corrected above. So Mayo were 4 up last year v the mighty Dubs. That would give me a clue that Sunday week might be close, as Drumpot enquired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

You said Mayo werent ahead in those games and thought i was referring to a league match in 2014. I have since corrected above. So Mayo were 4 up last year v the mighty Dubs. That would give me a clue that Sunday week might be close, as Drumpot enquired.

They lost by 7. Why would the score midway through the game matter more than the final score? Please don't give me the 'if Keegan scored that point' bollox either.

I'm not giving ye no chance at all. In fact I'm more worried about ye than I am about the Evil Empire we just disposed of.

But some clam just called us "the most overrated team in history".

And given his bizarre reasonings behind that statement I want to know what Mayo are bringing to the table from his POV other than clichéd bollox.

I actually had to search to see who said that!

My own opinion is that the Dubs are neither overrated nor underrated. They are the best team in the country, and are probably universally regarded as such.

Claims that they are amongst the best teams of all time are premature though, as those claims are probably, to a large extent, based on what people expect them to win over the next few years. Let them go and win a few more All Ireland's first, then have that debate. For now, they are the current best team, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Dublin are 3 point favorites on the handicap. In fairness to the books they are usually spot on. There will be very little in this game regardless of the rubbish that is spouted here.

Kauto wrote: »
    Dublin are 3 point favorites on the handicap. In fairness to the books they are usually spot on. There will be very little in this game regardless of the rubbish that is spouted here.

I agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

Agreed

Agreed. Dublin haven't beaten the handicap yet this year either, in fact the handicap was spot on against Donegal, was 3 points handicap against Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,072 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Blud wrote: »
    Agreed. Dublin haven't beaten the handicap yet this year either, in fact the handicap was spot on against Donegal, was 3 points handicap against Kerry.

Other than the Tyrone game I doubt Mayo coverd a handicap either this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,347 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Blud wrote: »

Maybe Dublin didn't beat the handicap this year on purpose?

:D:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mayo never led in the drawn game - the nearest I can think of to what you're alluding to is the 2014 NFL game in Croker

I think the poster may be referring to the fact Mayo were 4 points up with 15 minutes to go in the replay?

Yes Mayo truly threw away an opportunity for a psychologically important win in that league game.That was the night Cluxton saw red?

• Advertisement

Summary of the last few pages

Dublin fans are feeling aggrieved that everybody is not giving the Dublin team due recognition.I do not think there is any basis for these sentiments.As has been mentioned ad nauseum most GAA fans recognise this is a very good Dublin team with potential to become one of the greatest..ala the greatest,the Kerry team of the seventies/eighties.However I'm not going to be falling fawning over said team.

Many Mayo supporters including myself do not believe that the Kerry team of 2016 was as strong as in the recent past.This takes away in no way from the Dublin team's victory nor is it a case of sour grapes.The 2013 semi final was a superior contest to the so called game of ages semi final of 2016.

On the flip side there is little basis for the opinion that we can beat Dublin on our form this year.

Even last year's titanic struggles offer less positivity than many have alluded to.
    In the drawn game we were never in front but when we ran at them when 6 down we put Dublin on the back foot(that's where much of my positivity would come).The replay was an outstanding contest and although we were 4 up,the superior Dublin bench ensured we were beaten by a significant margin.

So much will have to go right for us,no calamitous starts/goals and our forwards shooting the lights out on an All Ireland final day and it still may not be sufficient to win the day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DoctaDee wrote:

True and everything is pointing towards a close game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

seligehgit wrote: »
    Summary of the last few pages

All typed thru the prism of red and green glasses. Any fair summary of the past few pages, would come from a neutral supporter and not from one of the counties involved. I most certainly do not expect anyone to fawn - as you so quaintly put it -over this Dublin team. If I don't do it myself, why should anyone else?

So this line in particular, "Dublin fans are feeling aggrieved that everybody is not giving the Dublin team due recognition" is complete and utter nonsense. Take issue with individual posts and posters as much as you want, but less of this "Dublin supporters" lark. It just cheapens the discussion. All 48 million of us, don't all share the same brain you know? :rolleyes:

(I'm perfectly relaxed as I type this btw. So, the $hit stirrers who get their rocks off by going around and telling people to relax, needn't bother. :D )

ProudDUB wrote: »
    All typed thru the prism of red and green glasses. Any fair summary of the past few pages, would come from a neutral supporter and not from one of the counties involved. I most certainly do not expect anyone to fawn - as you so quaintly put it -over this Dublin team. If I don't do it myself, why should anyone else?

So this line in particular, "Dublin fans are feeling aggrieved that everybody is not giving the Dublin team due recognition" is complete and utter nonsense. Take issue with individual posts and posters as much as you want, but less of this "Dublin supporters" lark. It just cheapens the discussion. All 48 million of us, don't all share the same brain you know? :rolleyes:

(I'm perfectly relaxed as I type this btw. So, the $hit stirrers who get their rocks off by going around and telling people to relax, needn't bother. :D )

Relax!!!

But there are no neutrals really. I mean I would expect some of our Keengdum lads to weigh in given they've no skin in the game but the collective bleat would deafen us I would feel. And then we'd have to ask them to leave OUR thread I suppose.

I don't think there was much wrong with what Slghgiggetehhet said above tbf.

There has been some Metropolitan fellows in here getting aggrieved easily enough. And you know how level headed I am so I noticed it easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Relax!!!

But there are no neutrals really. I mean I would expect some of our Keengdum lads to weigh in given they've no skin in the game but the collective bleat would deafen us I would feel. And then we'd have to ask them to leave OUR thread I suppose.

I don't think there was much wrong with what Slghgiggetehhet said above tbf.

There has been some Metropolitan fellows in here getting aggrieved easily enough. And you know how level headed I am so I noticed it easily.

It's just his opinion though, and he is perfectly entitled to it. But he doesn't speak for all Mayo people, any more than I speak for all Dublin people. The ones that put lentils in their coddle (they know who they are) can't even be considered real Dubs FFS ! :mad:

I just find all this "all Dublin supporters think this, all Kerry supporters think that... crap to be a really tedious attempt at point scoring. At the end of the day, all we have is own individual opinions. No one can speak for anyone else. And not one iota of what we say, is going to make a bit of difference on the day.

It's just his opinion though, and he is perfectly entitled to it. But he doesn't speak for all Mayo people, any more than I speak for all Dublin people. The ones that put lentils in their coddle (they know who they are) can't even be considered real Dubs FFS ! :mad:

I just find all this "all Dublin supporters think this, all Kerry supporters think that... crap to be a really tedious attempt at point scoring. At the end of the day, all we have is own individual opinions. No one can speak for anyone else. And not one iota of what we say, is going to make a bit of difference on the day.

For the record I don't put lentils in my coddle in case. I merely stated that it is a good shout that never crossed my mind. :P

I do agree with you with tarring all county's denizens with a certain statement is a bit much but there have been far worse examples on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Speaking as a neutral i think Mayo have a great chance in the final.
    All you hear in the media is that this Dublin team is the best team to ever play GAA. FFS the Dublin team of 4/5 years ago were better.

You have Paul Flynn who looks a shadow of his former self. Brogan the same and unless he gets the ball facing the goals he is no threat. You have Connolly(unbelievable talent) who will score his 2 or 3 points a game but create nothing for anyone else. Rock and McMemimem both had once in a year performances last time. The latter kicked two points off his left which he can barely stand on!
    They have O'Gara coming in off the bench who at best is Junior football standard.

They played Kerry who had how many fellas aged 32+ finishing the game? and managed to beat them by 2 points. Mayo have a great chance of beating the most over rated team in the history of GAA.

But when the media say that theymean this Dublin team from 2011 onwards (i.e 4 or 5 years ago).Also I'd argue this team are a good deal better than the team in 2011.

But when the media say that theymean this Dublin team from 2011 onwards (i.e 4 or 5 years ago).Also I'd argue this team are a good deal better than the team in 2011.

I'd agree,imo this team is quite a bit superior to the 2011 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

At the end of the day, all we have is own individual opinions. No one can speak for anyone else. And not one iota of what we say, is going to make a bit of difference on the day.

I suppose that ends the entire forum so, no point anymore :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

For the record I don't put lentils in my coddle in case. I merely stated that it is a good shout that never crossed my mind.

WTF is wrong with putting lentils in Coddle? It's not like it's packet soup. That's REAL heresy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement