Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Lad's there's long ball and there's long ball, the sky scraper ball in is no good if your leaving it in long it has to be a more driven kick. Thomas O'Shea was the best man I ever seen do it. A lower trajectory that allows the bigger man attack and field the ball at speed. As opposed to the ball that comes almost straight down outta the clouds with a gang of lads waiting underneath it.

If Mayo Get That right There's Goals To Be Got. I'd say that they'll need at least 3 to win it. The long ball works best when used in a varied game plan so the backs don't know whats coming next. A O'Shea annoys me sometimes going down holding his face and that but he is a complete animal on his day. If mayo get him 1on1 with either McMahon or Cooper or whoever they pick to mark him, he'll do wreck. And he'll have to if mayo are to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

All Ireland final week. Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

This time next week.................in The Boars Head............

New-Orleans-Alibi-inside-bar-door.jpg

Up Maigh Eo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Andy Moran wouldn't be that fond of passing.

The last pass I recall him giving went over the bar from an impossible angle against Galway 2 years ago!

Passing and vision is Andy Moran's biggest asset

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Had a dream that Dublin won by 125 points. Upon leaving Croker news filtered down and it was actually 1-25. The scoreboard was just faulty.

Roll on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I hit 2 instead of 4! although the irony is lovely since 2012 was the year Mayo beat Dublin in the semi.

The 2006 Defeat to mayo in the semis was the one that really sickened me. The time Mayo had the nerve to warm up at the hill end.

I often wonder if Mayo had not done that, or if Dublin just ignored them prematch, would result have been different?

could someone explain what was the big deal about this?
    to this day i don't get why Dublin reacted the way they did

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

wp_rathead wrote: »

Dublin had this thing going on where, before every game, they would link arms and have a moment of cringeworthy mutual love with the Hill. Mayo decided to deprive the Dubs of their moment and, when Mayo came out first, made for the Hill to warm up. Dublin came out and took exception to this and made for the Hill. Cue much hilarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Because no one had done it before, they were taken completely by surprise and did not know how to react.

I'm sure if it was next week.Gavin would have just ordered them down to the canal end.

It really was the most pathetic thing I have seen. Playground stuff, if you ask me. Psychological warfare is one thing but this was more comical than anything. It done Dublin no favours at all and they gained nothing from it bar Whelan looking like a knob and Paul caffery looking like some eegit at a Junior C championship game!
    Pillars shoulder charge was hilarious in the most wtf sort of manner, and then he just walks away !
    I know how much of a battle it is and the passion in the players but you need to control that in incidents like that. Dublin wouldnt have looked weak at all just heading down the other end, in fact Mayo would have looked somewhat the eegits knowing their plan didnt work. It was no benefit to Mayo kicking balls into a jeering Hill 16 and Dubs should have known that

This was someones reaction the next day.........says a lot

Mayo had as much right to warm up in front of the Hill as Dublin had...about time they realised they don't own the place; it's bad enough that they get a home game for most of the Championship
    The Dubs were making themselves hostages to fortune anyway by insisting on warming up in front of the Hill before every match. It was only a matter of time that some team spotted a very easy way to disrupt their pre-match warm up. I would have expected either Armagh or Tyrone to have been bloody-minded enough to pull it off but, surprisingly, it was Mayo, who hitherto would have been regarded as soft touches for such mind games.
    The way the likes of Caffrey reacted too, showed that Mayo's mind games had some effect in ruffling Dublin's feathers and it took them a while to get settled into the match. Dublin have no divine right to warm up in the Hill.

However, those who state the first team to emerge gets their pick of the ends are incorrect. The usual arrangement is that teams warm up at the same side of the pitch as their dressing room. Mayo had the Canal End dressing room, and their management team sat at that side of the pitch. Dublin had the Hill16 dressing room and their management were at the Hill16 side of the halfway line. It was a master stroke by Mayo and certainly got the Dubs' dander up, resulting in some of them losing their focus somewhat. Fair play to them though, they really stepped up to the plate yesterday and were deserving winners. Dublin were beaten on the pitch and on the line yesterday.

Stolen quote, but says a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

None of yer mano y mano, turf war silliness resulted in an All Ireland title, now did it? So what's the point really? :rolleyes:

ProudDUB wrote: »
    None of yer mano y mano, turf war silliness resulted in an All Ireland title, now did it? So what's the point really? :rolleyes:

Of course not, it was bsh1t by them also.
    But in fairness to them on the day it seemed to work , Dublin took 17 minutes to get a score and were 4 down at that stage. Although they were the better team for next two quarters, that slow start cost them the game and you can't help but think the scenes beforehand with the blood pumping didnt have an effect on them somewhat

Maybe thats mayos problem, the soft touch nerve aspect. A bit more of that Sunday may do them no harm although its a more professional psychological game these days before the throw in

If you say so boss. I've limited interest in examining the finer details of something that took place over 10 years ago. But if Mayo people want to cling on to the memory of it, like a child with their teddy bear, than who am I to judge? I prefer to concentrate on more recent Dublin/Mayo factoids.

Like this one.

In the Jim Gavin era, Dublin & Mayo have played each other 8 times. Mayo haven't won a single game. Them's the kinda things I like to remember & think about. :D

If you say so boss. I've very little interest in examining the finer details of something that took place over 10 years ago. But if Mayo people want to cling on to the memory of it,like a child with their teddy bear, than who am I to judge? I prefer to concentrate on more recent Dublin/Mayo factoids.
    Like this one.

In the Jim Gavin era, Dublin & Mayo have played each other 8 times. Mayo haven't won a single game. Them's the kinda things I like to remember & think about. :D

the conversation was about that incident. Noone said it was of any relevance to this match nor I doubt any Mayo fan "clings to it" but at the time it was a talking point and most GAA fans would remember it.

It was brought up in this thread, I assume, just as a memory, and just coincidental to the fact that the same 2 teams are playing again not as something that has any relevance to Sundays game.

If you want to get a dig in, then perhaps have the reason for the dig justified beforehand!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It's mano a mano not mano y mano.

No one likes a pednant. ;)
    the conversation was about that incident. Noone said it was of any relevance to this match nor I doubt any Mayo fan "clings to it" but at the time it was a talking point and most GAA fans would remember it.

It was brought up in this thread, I assume, just as a memory, and just coincidental to the fact that the same 2 teams are playing again not as something that has any relevance to Sundays game.

If you want to get a dig in, then perhaps have the reason for the dig justified beforehand!! ;)

It's the week of the All Ireland final. No one needs a reason for a dig, fer flips sake. :D

No one likes a pednant. ;)

It's the week of the All Ireland final. No one needs a reason for a dig, fer flips sake. :D

pedant......;)

pedant......;)

Sigh. I know. Hence this lad
    > :rolleyes: beside the post. I was being ironical and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Sorry, I though this was the match thread, must be somewhere else.

Sorry, I though this was the match thread, must be somewhere else.

it is the match thread, so if you have a post about the match, fire ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

If you say so boss. I've limited interest in examining the finer details of something that took place over 10 years ago. But if Mayo people want to cling on to the memory of it, like a child with their teddy bear, than who am I to judge? I prefer to concentrate on more recent Dublin/Mayo factoids.

Like this one.

We are definitely due one so :p

Yeah, that's what them Kerry lads are saying these days too. Not working out too well for them, is it? :D

#AllIrelandFinalWeek

#CheapShotsNotOnlyAllowedButEncouragedToo

#ShureWhatElseWouldYaBeDoin !

Yeah, that's what them Kerry lads are saying these days too. Not working out too well for them, is it? :D

#AllIrelandFinalWeek

#RealMenDontUseHashTags ;)

#SezSomeOneUsingAHagTagToo

#BetterStopNowOrWeWillPissOffTod

#PrayForTod

#LongWeekAheadMate

#SezSomeOneUsingAHagTagToo

#BetterStopNowOrWeWillPissOffTod

#PrayForTod

#LongWeekAheadMate

quiet clear why i used the hashtag in that instance! #;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Does anyone know what's actually going on in this thread?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

quiet clear why i used the hashtag in that instance! #;)

'Quite'

JayReale wrote: »
    'Quite'

well done you! When I wrote the word pedant earlier it was an attempted effort at irony (not being a grammar nazi) which didn't quite have the effect I wanted! There was more to it than a simple misspelling correction/dig! Trust me, I am the last person that think its humorous in itself to go out of your way to point out a spelling mistake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

#AllIrelandFinalWeek

Haha very good. But as C Whelan said the last day. Ye better make hay while ye can. Because by the looks of things, WINTER IS COMING!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

well done you! When I wrote the word pedant earlier it was an attempted effort at irony (not being a grammar nazi) which didn't quite have the effect I wanted! There was more to it than a simple misspelling correction/dig! Trust me, I am the last person that think its humorous in itself to go out of your way to point out a spelling mistake!!

Apologies, I think we're all getting tetchy waiting around for Sunday... It's been a long haul. Mine was a pitiful attempt at humour also....'quiet' enough of this carry on for one day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement