Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

they entered the game against Tyrone with most onlookers expecting the Red Hand to advance to the semis

I expected Mayo to win, I'd have them to beat everyone this year except Dublin :)
    and that included Galway, so there you go don't listen to me.

Tyrone, with an even bigger issue with lack of forwards than Mayo gave Kerry a bit of a scare last year. Then someone had a thought, because Mayo and Dublin haven't beaten Dublin in a while that a new knight was needed, so Tyrone were built up. The Tyrone lads saw through it, but so many jumped on this, tried to pretend it was their idea, squinted their eyes and said "you know what, I think Tyrone are the ones to beat Dublin this year" the more I heard it the less I believed it, it's one of those things that guys who couldn't name the Tyrone or Dublin players were saying, I asked some of them why, they'd say "I don't know, I just have a feeling, you know ?" It was really more of a hope than a feeling IMO.

Mayo are a top 4 team and are back in another final again. That's been the case fore a few years now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What's it like living under a bridge Mr troll?

Do you think I am off the mark in anything I said. I am just being honest.

Even the Mayo players don't believe they have a chance.

Andy Moran was asked "Can you win the final?"

He gave the most sheepish half-hearted "Sure why not?" response.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Menoetius wrote: »
    100% agree, nobody, in any sport, is unbeatable.

Let's not forget this Mayo team took us to a replay last year, and we are an all star and the player of the year down in defense.

Yes we are favourites, and rightly so, but to write Mayo off is crazy stuff.

Have you seen how Mayo perform in AI finals?

Two words sum them up "wides" and "collapse"

I know you will say that there was only a point in it in the 2013 final but Dublin were in control in the latter stages while O'Connor panicked misheard the ref and went for a point instead of a goal.

In 2012 the AI final v Donegal was over before it was begun v Donegal with a Murphy Goal early on.

The best Mayo can hope for is that people say "at least they gave it a lash".

At worst "What now for Mayo football?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

:pac:

Keep doing the team talk, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Are you seriously using only that statement to justify your assertion that Mayo players don't believe they can win the Final?

• Advertisement

Are you seriously using only that statement to justify your assertion that Mayo players don't believe they can win the Final?

You will only have to look at their body language during the parade at the start they will be s**ting themselves.

Meanwhile Jim Gavin will be that cool calm influence in the dressing room and on the sidelines. A guy who has learnt from his mistakes.

What have Mayo learnt but a losing mentality?

PressRun wrote: »
    :pac:

Keep doing the team talk, lads.

The mayo crowd could put all my posts on the dressing room wall but it still won't do them any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

Keep it coming!

You will only have to look at their body language during the parade at the start they will be s**ting themselves.

Further proof you know nothing, absolutely nothing about this set of Mayo players.

Further proof you know nothing, absolutely nothing about this set of Mayo players.

Mayo have three decent players maybe four at a push.

Only three would be good enough to get into the Dublin Panel in my view.

Mcloughlin as an impact sub and Aidan O'Shea might even push for a starting position at midfield.

You could argue Lee Keegan might get a place at wing back since he is more attacking then John Small.

Mayo's u21s loftus and Diarmuid O'Connor would not get in an asses roar of this Dublin panel. Rock is a better free=taker then Cillan O'Connor so his older brother would not have a hope either.

Keeping the score respectable will be Mayo's main achievement if the game is not over as a contest after about 40-50 mins they would have done well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Mayo have three decent players maybe four at a push.

Only three would be good enough to get into the Dublin Panel in my view.

Mcloughlin as an impact sub and Aidan O'Shea might even push for a starting position at midfield.

You could argue Lee Keegan might get a place at wing back since he is more attacking then John Small.

Mayo's u21s loftus and Diarmuid O'Connor would not get in an asses roar of this Dublin panel. Rock is a better free=taker then Cillan O'Connor so his older brother would not have a hope either.

Keeping the score respectable will be Mayo's main achievement if the game is not over as a contest after about 40-50 mins they would have done well.

You're either trolling or absolutely deluded! I hope it's the latter, that scale of delusion is rare and refreshing to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Will they be previewing the football on the sunday game tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Will they be previewing the football on the sunday game tonight?

No and rightly so. It's 2 weeks away and it's Hurlings day.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

i know it's mayo, and everybody knows their record, but I wouldn't write off anybody in an all-ireland final! dublin SHOULD win, and may well win at a canter...but i wouldnt be as confident as some on here. far crazier things have happened

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I'll go for Dublin by about 7 points

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

PARlance wrote: »
    No and rightly so. It's 2 weeks away and it's Hurlings day.

God, no. We had to live thru a month of Kerry's hunger being rammed down our throats by the meeja. I'm not in any hurry to have to listen to the same broken record on Mayo. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

ProudDUB wrote: »
    God, no. We had to live thru a month of Kerry's hunger being rammed down our throats by the meeja. I'm not in any hurry to have to listen to the same broken record on Mayo. :rolleyes:

That'll happen alright. You listen to podcasts and read articles and its all the same. Focused heavily on how the opposition beat Dublin. I read very little about how Dublin would shape up going into the semi. All focused on Kerry and what they'd bring.

FWIW its not anti Dublin bias or any of that ****e. Just people rooting for the underdog.

corny wrote: »
    Focused heavily on how the opposition beat Dublin. I read very little about how Dublin would shape up going into the semi. All focused on Kerry and what they'd bring.

FWIW its not anti Dublin bias or any of that ****e. Just people rooting for the underdog.

The undergod angle will be done to death but Dublin are to blame too, they're brilliantly boring you could say. A settled team that have a massive winning streak. It's hard to create a narrative around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

PARlance wrote: »
    The undergod angle will be done to death but Dublin are to blame too, they're brilliantly boring you could say. A settled team that have a massive winning streak. It's hard to create a narrative around that.

Ah here, I know Aidan O'Shea is a deity in Mayo, but lets not get carried away. :D

Ah here, I know Aidan O'Shea is a deity in Mayo, but lets not get carried away. :D

Keegan more so.

• Advertisement

I'm feeling a bit woof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

Rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Speaking as a neutral i think Mayo have a great chance in the final.
    All you hear in the media is that this Dublin team is the best team to ever play GAA. FFS the Dublin team of 4/5 years ago were better.

You have Paul Flynn who looks a shadow of his former self. Brogan the same and unless he gets the ball facing the goals he is no threat. You have Connolly(unbelievable talent) who will score his 2 or 3 points a game but create nothing for anyone else. Rock and McMemimem both had once in a year performances last time. The latter kicked two points off his left which he can barely stand on!
    They have O'Gara coming in off the bench who at best is Junior football standard.

They played Kerry who had how many fellas aged 32+ finishing the game? and managed to beat them by 2 points. Mayo have a great chance of beating the most over rated team in the history of GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Kauto wrote: »
    All you hear in the media is that this Dublin team is the best team to ever play GAA. FFS the Dublin team of 4/5 years ago were better.

You have Paul Flynn who looks a shadow of his former self. Brogan the same and unless he gets the ball facing the goals he is no threat. You have Connolly(unbelievable talent) who will score his 2 or 3 points a game but create nothing for anyone else. Rock and McMemimem both had once in a year performances last time. The latter kicked two points off his left which he can barely stand on!
    They have O'Gara coming in off the bench who at best is Junior football standard.

They played Kerry who had how many fellas aged 32+ finishing the game? and managed to beat them by 2 points. Mayo have a great chance of beating the most over rated team in the history of GAA.

And Mayo will bring what to tell table to beat this overrated team?

Hunger?

Believe?

Determination?

They have a chance only because they are in the final.
    They will need outside forces to help them Dublin sendings off/black cards etc

The Dublin team of 4/5 years ago were not better then this team.
    This team would not have lost to Donegal in 2012.

This Dublin team have injected a patience into thier play under pressure. They just wait and play thier game with control skill and movement.
    You have Paul Flynn who looks a shadow of his former self. Brogan the same and unless he gets the ball facing the goals he is no threat.

I would agree with you here. Personally I would drop Brogan.
    But the strength of the Dublin bench enables seemless changes with guys that come on to change a game
    You have Connolly(unbelievable talent) who will score his 2 or 3 points a game but create nothing for anyone else.

This is ridiculous. The amount of damage Connolly causes just by making runs and has the vision to make passes from any angle.

You can only appreciate this fully when you are at a game he is in.

He is also capable of scoring 10 points from play!

Rock and McMemimem both had once in a year performances last time. The latter kicked two points off his left which he can barely stand on!

Both of these players have improved Rock from play, and Kevin Mc now has the where-with-all to turn provider as well as goal getter.

He still has a good chance of scoring a goal against Mayo from the bench like he has done against the likes of Kerry in the 2013 AI semi. He also scored a goal against Tyrone in the 2010 AI quarter final.

Dublin obviously have a high junior football standard!
    They played Kerry who had how many fellas aged 32+ finishing the game? and managed to beat them by 2 points.

This is the same Kerry team who won the 2014 AI beating Mayo along the way!

You fail to mention that Dublin gave Kerry a five point lead at half time and still managed to beat Kerry by 2 points that is a SEVEN point turn around SEVEN.
    Dublin would have beaten Kerry by far more only for uncharacteristic casualness from Cluxton in the first half this will not happen again. He will be more switched on.
    Mayo have a great chance of beating the most over rated team in the history of GAA.

This Dublin team will go down as one of the greatest football teams in GAA history they will be compared to the great Kerry team under Micko the only team who is comparable.

And Mayo will bring what to tell table to beat this overrated team?

Hunger?

Believe?

Determination?

Well i would think all three would be a given. Id have thought Mayo would be far more Jittery facing Kerry than they would be Dublin, considering history over the past 10 years.

I dont think Mayo have to do anymore than replicate their Semi final performance(1st day) from last year. Dublin are a weaker team this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Gael85

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's not true
    The most overrated team in the history of GAA is this years Tyrone team !

But I do think that Dublin are not as good as they were a few years ago, I feel they look more like the 2012 incarnation rather than the 2013 or 2015

That's not to say they ate not really good or anything, they have every right to be favourite

• Advertisement

That's not true
    The most overrated team in the history of GAA is this years Tyrone team !

But I do think that Dublin are not as good as they were a few years ago, I feel they look more like the 2012 incarnation rather than the 2013 or 2015

That's not to say they ate not really good or anything, they have every right to be favourite

I agree they more than deserve to be favorites. I happen to think they are a team in decline and are not as good as 2013+2015.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement