Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,433 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Lads, a few of ye would want to recheck your posting style - a lot of borderline personal stuff going on. Keep it civil and on topic, or else there will be bans handed out until after the game

If there is any bans handed out do they get carried over to the all-ireland final ?

:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭gigantic09

If I was a Mayo supporter I would save my money and more heartache and not bother going to the AI final, youse have endured enough hurt.

In fact for your own sanity I would recommend Mayo supporters should not even watch it on telly!

Ah please can we go,if only to get another glimpse of the 'greatest team to ever play the game'.we promise we'll be good and listen reverently when the hill(when they eventually show up,2 minutes before throw in)serenade their heros.we promise we won't cry when we eventually loose by 25 points.Please please ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

If I was a Mayo supporter I would save my money and more heartache and not bother going to the AI final, youse have endured enough hurt.

I think this statement explains exactly the type of football supporter you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Blud wrote: »
    I don't think it is even up for debate that Dunlin have regressed this year. Dublin of 2015 or 2013 would have put Donegal away much easier, and wouldn't have let Kerry into the game at all once 5 points clear in the first half.

Surely that opinion isn't even controversial?

Obviously Mayo have regressed too, losing to Galway is testament to that. Mayo have been more inconsistent than Dublin though, there is a feeling that Dublin's consistent level of performance just hasn't been as good on a quality level, while Mayo can maybe produce high quality but not often enough or for sustained periods.

Which leads to the hope that Mayo can find a consistent performance, and maybe give it a good go.

Obviously, this is all just hope, but with 13 days to an All Ireland final, hope beats despair.

Kerry have clearly regressed too since 2014, ageing team and well past their best. Donegal have been regressing for years. The only team (of the top tier) making progress this year was Tyrone, and that's only because their base level before this year was pretty poor - they could hardly go backwards.

It has not been a vintage year at all.

Far too much is read into hammerings.

I read very little into them as they are generally a meaningless measure of how truly great a team is.

Kilkenny's greatest performance of their 4 in a row team was the final in 2009 when they ground out a win against Tipp and Dublins performance against Kerry in the semi final is their best performance of the decade so far because of the composure they showed in such a difficult game where they were under severe pressure. It looked like it was getting away from them but they never panicked and got the result they needed that is far more impressive a thing to do than handing out a hiding as most hammerings tend to be because the opposition throws in the towel as much as it is to do with the winning team playing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I read very little into them as they are generally a meaningless measure of how truly great a team is.

Kilkenny's greatest performance of their 4 in a row team was the final in 2009 when they ground out a win against Tipp and Dublins performance against Kerry in the semi final is their best performance of the decade so far because of the composure they showed in such a difficult game where they were under severe pressure. It looked like it was getting away from them but they never panicked and got the result they needed that is far more impressive a thing to do than handing out a hiding as most hammerings tend to be because the opposition throws in the towel as much as it is to do with the winning team playing well.

Yeah and having an All Ireland medal in your back pocket really helps when it comes to composure. Two-in-a-row hasn't been done since 2007. This Dublin team should achieve that. That said, a Mayo without high expectations could be a dangerous animal but I don't think they'll live with Dublin for the full 70 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,433 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Originally Posted by gormdubhgorm

I think this statement explains exactly the type of football supporter you are.

Exactly! A caring and considerate one Mayo people have suffered enough!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Kauto wrote:
    Mannion is the only player on the Dublin bench who Mayo will fear. Costello has shown very little, so how you can say he would get onto any team in the country is beyond me. Dublin resort to bringing on O'Gara who has the skill level of a junior footballer albeit he can create havoc at times.

Costello is probably held in higher regard outside Dublin than inside at the moment. He's improved a lot this year though, but I think you are correct about him this year.

If Dublin start the team that played Kerry then I imagine they'd fear Andrews as he's played very well against Mayo in the past.

Dublin dont resort to bringing on O'Gara. He's played next to zero football this year. However I'd imagine that Mayo would fear him if Keane is fullback as possibly he'd push him off the ball. O'Gara takes watching.

Depending if McManamon or Andrews starts, there's a sub there. Then Mannion, usually a midfielder is subbed and someone on the half and fullback line. Dublin usually dont bring in more than two forwards but against kerry they did. Eight traditional forwards finished the last game.

The big thing for Dublin for me this year is that in the half-forward line only Connelly is scoring. The vulnerability in the back line is using up the offensive element of Kilkenny, Flynn is not at the races, this time last year we'd seen him come good in parts against Mayo but this year hes yet to show his best. He's hone from scoring long range points to not taking a shot at all.

Dublin are not creating the goal chances of old. Yes Fenton offers something extra here going forward but for me anyway it's like we've lost a forward.

The thing is that if A Moran starts Mayo have no forwards that Dublin fear on the bench.
    I know that many Mayo lads don't agree with me and he's retired , but when it comes to matchups J Cooper always struggled with Conroy and Cooper had Regan wrapped up the last time they met. I would have kept him on the panel just to play Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The hyperbole continues unabated here at boards.ie

Kerry had a purple patch before half time, were Dublin's goalkeeper made two costly errors

Other than that Dublin were far superior and even though Kerry lead by 3 at the 60 minute odd mark, Dublin always looked like they had more in the tank, which they had.

I'd argue that their biggest test was v Kerry in 2013 rather than in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm just after watching the 1st half of last years replay. I knew he played well but had forgotten just how well... the Andrews fear is high, he was unmarkable. Kilkenny and Brogan were class as well.

Kilkenny's deeper role is definitely welcomed from a Mayo point of view and let's hope Brogan proves the many Dubs doubting him right.

Didn't see Connolly, he must have got the suspension after all. Good man Leeroy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,145 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mayo for sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭corny

Stoner wrote: »
    Costello is probably held in higher regard outside Dublin than inside at the moment. He's improved a lot this year though, but I think you are correct about him this year.

If Dublin start the team that played Kerry then I imagine they'd fear Andrews as he's played very well against Mayo in the past.

Dublin dont resort to bringing on O'Gara. He's played next to zero football this year. However I'd imagine that Mayo would fear him if Keane is fullback as possibly he'd push him off the ball. O'Gara takes watching.

Depending if McManamon or Andrews starts, there's a sub there. Then Mannion, usually a midfielder is subbed and someone on the half and fullback line. Dublin usually dont bring in more than two forwards but against kerry they did. Eight traditional forwards finished the last game.

The big thing for Dublin for me this year is that in the half-forward line only Connelly is scoring. The vulnerability in the back line is using up the offensive element of Kilkenny, Flynn is not at the races, this time last year we'd seen him come good in parts against Mayo but this year hes yet to show his best. He's hone from scoring long range points to not taking a shot at all.

Dublin are not creating the goal chances of old. Yes Fenton offers something extra here going forward but for me anyway it's like we've lost a forward.

The thing is that if A Moran starts Mayo have no forwards that Dublin fear on the bench.
    I know that many Mayo lads don't agree with me and he's retired , but when it comes to matchups J Cooper always struggled with Conroy and Cooper had Regan wrapped up the last time they met. I would have kept him on the panel just to play Dublin

Yeah I've still to make my mind up on KK's role. Its obviously an innovation the way Dublin are playing him and he does well to dictate a lot of our play. However because he now flatly refuses to take on his man he's really not a scoring threat.

If I was the Mayo manager I'd actually put my weakest defender on him because you know he'll probably go sideways instead of at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Kerry had a purple patch before half time, were Dublin's goalkeeper made two costly errors

Other than that Dublin were far superior and even though Kerry lead by 3 at the 60 minute odd mark, Dublin always looked like they had more in the tank, which they had.

They were 5 points down at half time and on a couple of occassion in the second half just as it looked like they were going to catch up Kerry scored to keep their lead.

They were 3 points down with less than 10 minutes left and only took the lead in the last minute so it wasn't that straight forward.

It only looks now because Dubin won that they had more in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

gigantic09 wrote: »
    the hill(when they eventually show up,2 minutes before throw in)

Haha slagging them off for being on time, we mustn't have delayed the throw in for a while if that's the best you can come up with :eek:

Any season ticket holders get their tickets in the post yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

But who will win ?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

But who will win ?

Are Dublin fans allowed to say they think Dublin will win without everyone saying we think we are invincible? ;)

I think Dublin to shade a close game by 3 in the end.

Will be closer than many think I reckon, I'm certainly not relaxing over this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That's a very 20/20 analysis of the game that doesn't really reflect the gravity of the win. The hyperbole is as much because of how good the game was as it was impressive Dublin win. There has not been anymore impressive performance this season so its not hyperbole at all.

The reason that it was such an impressive win was because Dublin dominated most of the game and yet were 5 points down t HT. They were 3 points down with 8 mins to go despite being the vastly suprerior team as you stated.

It showed great character and mental fortitude for the not to panic and keep composed. Its not like they got a quick goal and burst back into the game like they might of in the past. I could be wrong but I think Dublin could have one more gear to go up, whether they need it or find that gear in the final is another thing.

In many regards it was one of the most composed performance I have ever seen from a Dublin team. They slowly ground Kerry down and I don't think it bodes well for Mayo because that was easily Kerry's best performance this year and they looked well below Dublin. Mayo have to similarly put in their best performance and simultaneously rely on Dublin not hitting top gears.

Dublin lost two of the best players in the country since last year so its not surprising that they haven't looked as fluid or defensively sound as they did last season. For this season it is not over the top to say it was the best performance of a team in the championship and it was the best game for most neutrals with two heavyweights serving up a superbly entertaining game.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Yes but you can list of the names of Dublin players who'll score heavy, there's no one on the Mayo team! We're talking at the top level here, who for Mayo has done it?

I'm not ignoring any frees. I'm saying you won't win games with frees alone and O'Connor has only shown he's a free taker against the big teams. You haven't answered, who's going to score heavy for Mayo? We know Dublin have those players.

The professional set up is what's to fear. You can't ignore how Dublin finish games.

I'm not sure you've paid too much attention this year. Dublin don't really have any forwards that are scoring heavy this year, in fact Connolly is the only one that has averaged more than 2 points from play this year. You could say that you know the Dublin players have it in them more than the Mayo players, but at the same time there hasn't been anyone doing it this year for them.

Brogan has been quiet, Flynn looks a shadow of the player that he once was, Kilkenny has got on the ball a lot in deep positions without looking dangerous in a scoring sense. Of course Brogan could come out and score 1-5 in the final, but so could Andy Moran.

Dublin are probably a bit more similar to Mayo this year in that the scores are spread throughout the team instead of a reliance on the full forward line to do the damage. Most of the best teams are like that - Tyrone are similar, Donegal are similar, even Kerry have pulled their traditional scorers like Gooch and Darren O'Sullivan out the pitch to get them on the ball more. There really isn't a top team these days that has a 'heavy' scorer, yet Mayo are the only ones that it's used as a stick to beat us with, despite the fact that we are consistently amongst the highest scorers in the championship every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Drumpot wrote: »
    That's a very 20/20 analysis of the game that doesn't really reflect the gravity of the win. The hyperbole is as much because of how good the game was as it was impressive Dublin win. There has not been anymore impressive performance this season so its not hyperbole at all.

The reason that it was such an impressive win was because Dublin dominated most of the game and yet were 5 points down t HT. They were 3 points down with 8 mins to go despite being the vastly suprerior team as you stated.

It showed great character and mental fortitude for the not to panic and keep composed. Its not like they got a quick goal and burst back into the game like they might of in the past. I could be wrong but I think Dublin could have one more gear to go up, whether they need it or find that gear in the final is another thing.

In many regards it was one of the most composed performance I have ever seen from a Dublin team. They slowly ground Kerry down and I don't think it bodes well for Mayo because that was easily Kerry's best performance this year and they looked well below Dublin. Mayo have to similarly put in their best performance and simultaneously rely on Dublin not hitting top gears.

Dublin lost two of the best players in the country since last year so its not surprising that they haven't looked as fluid or defensively sound as they did last season. For this season it is not over the top to say it was the best performance of a team in the championship and it was the best game for most neutrals with two heavyweights serving up a superbly entertaining game.

My analysis may also have something to do with the fact that I live in Kerry and know how average they actually are, and how they have feck all to offer in the dying minutes of the game compared to Dublin.

I'd put them on the same level as Mayo, certainly no better.

I actually backed them to lose at half time and did well out of it.

So with that in mind this Dublin win was not as amazing as some are making it out to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

All of that is spoiled though by the fact that Kerry are very average.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

My analysis may also have something to do with the fact that I live in Kerry and know how average they actually are, and how they have feck all to offer in the dying minutes of the game compared to Dublin.

So with that in mind this Dublin win was not as amazing as some are making it out to be.

Kerry had how many players over 32 years of age on the pitch at the end?
    They had 2 or 3 fellas in defense who are very ordinary footballers. If Dublin play to a similar standard the next day they will lose.

• Advertisement

Peist2007 wrote: »
    All of that is spoiled though by the fact that Kerry are very average.

It doesn't matter if you are from Kerry or that in your opinion this Kerry team isn't that good. Its like me saying when Dublin were bottling games in the 00s and snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory was because Dublin were poor, not that Tyrone, Armagh or Kerry were good.

How did Dublin react in recent seasons when Donegal or Mayo caught them off guard? When you are trying to react to the kind of blows Dublin took against Kerry, in a Semi Final of an All Ireland, you will be tested no matter the quality of the opposition. If you are in anway fragile mentally, you could fold. Dublin reacted very differently this season when faced with uncertainty in the game , with a slower(not swashbuckling), methodical build up of points that suggests a maturity we haven't seen before. That, to me, is a positive.

Kerry are, in most peoples opinion, one of the top teams in the country. Dublin looked very good in dispatching them. That's all any team can do in any given season. Dispatch the best teams. If Dublin beat Donegal, Kerry and Mayo on the way to Sam you cant really say they had it easy. An argument could be made that Dublin have an extra gear and are only pushing themselves as much as they need. Its not uncommon in sports where one team excels over others, that they struggle to raise their game all the time. Its like in the Leinster Championship, I know I wish Meath were much better and miss the days when Dublin v Meath was a toss of a coin. They raised each others game and pushed each other to higher standards. Perhaps Dublin are suffering because of the lower standards you are insinuating ?

Mayo have not done much this season to warrant the benefit of the doubt. Any other season the running joke was that the best time to play Mayo was the final. So the only "logic" being put forward in defence of Mayo is that they have been so average this season that maybe there is one big game in them.

Maybe there is a big game in them, but on form and on performances alone this season, Dublin are rightfully favorites. this is not arrogance or over confidence Its just common sense. Your view that people are getting over excited about an awful Kerry losing to Dublin just comes across as sour grapes as opposed to objective criticism.

It doesn't matter if you are from Kerry or that in your opinion this Kerry team isn't that good. Its like me saying when Dublin were bottling games in the 00s and snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory was because Dublin were poor, not that Tyrone, Armagh or Kerry were good.

How did Dublin react in other seasons when Donegal or Mayo caught them off guard? When you are trying to react to the kind of blows Dublin took against Kerry, in a Semi Final of an All Ireland, you will be tested no matter the quality of the opposition. If you are in anway fragile mentally, you could fold.

Kerry are, in most peoples opinion, one of the top teams in the country. Dublin looked very good in dispatching them. That's all any team can do in any given season. Dispatch the best teams. If Dublin beat Donegal, Kerry and Mayo on the way to Sam you cant really say they had it easy. An argument could be made that Dublin have an extra gear and are only pushing themselves as much as they need. Its not uncommon in sports where one team excels over others, that they struggle to raise their game all the time. Its like in the Leinster Championship, I know I wish Meath were much better and miss the days when Dublin v Meath was a toss of a coin. They raised each others game.

Mayo have not done much this season to warrant the benefit of the doubt. Any other season the running joke was that the best time to play Mayo was the final. So the only "logic" being put forward in defence of Mayo is that they have been so average this season that maybe there is one big game in them.

Maybe there is a big game in them, but on form and on performances alone this season, Dublin are rightfully favorites. this is not arrogance or over confidence Its just common sense. Your view that people are getting over excited about an awful Kerry losing to Dublin just comes across as sour grapes as opposed to objective criticism.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say in the first paragraph. Dublin were poor in the 00s. Tyrone, Armagh and Kerry were good in the 00s. It's not mutually exclusive.

The argument now is that references to Dublin's win over Kerry as being an all-time great game are overblown. A good Dublin team played struggled over the line against a Kerry side on their way down. Dublin can only beat what's in front of them and they've managed to do so thus far, but you can't argue the fact that this Kerry side are not a great Kerry side. They've a serious job on to rejuvenate that team now.

Dublin are favourites, agreed. But the more the Dub fans talk up the performance against Kerry, the happier us Mayo fans will be. If Dublin are no better against Mayo than they were against Kerry, then I give Mayo every chanc of winning the game. Of course, this ignores how inconsistent Mayo have been year, but if you had asked me before the Dublin/Kerry game I'd have given Mayo zero chance whatsoever. Hence the cautious optimism from myself and a lot of Mayo fans on here.

I'm also not sure how Mayo fans can be accused of sour grapes over a Kerry defeat to Dublin, as per your last paragraph. Can you explain that one? Or is it just more of the tin foil hat everyone is against Dublin attitude that is fairly popular on here?

How did Dublin react in recent seasons when Donegal or Mayo caught them off guard? When you are trying to react to the kind of blows Dublin took against Kerry, in a Semi Final of an All Ireland, you will be tested no matter the quality of the opposition. If you are in anway fragile mentally, you could fold. Dublin reacted very differently this season when faced with uncertainty in the game , with a slower(not swashbuckling), methodical build up of points that suggests a maturity we haven't seen before. That, to me, is a positive.

Kerry are, in most peoples opinion, one of the top teams in the country. Dublin looked very good in dispatching them. That's all any team can do in any given season. Dispatch the best teams. If Dublin beat Donegal, Kerry and Mayo on the way to Sam you cant really say they had it easy. An argument could be made that Dublin have an extra gear and are only pushing themselves as much as they need. Its not uncommon in sports where one team excels over others, that they struggle to raise their game all the time. Its like in the Leinster Championship, I know I wish Meath were much better and miss the days when Dublin v Meath was a toss of a coin. They raised each others game and pushed each other to higher standards. Perhaps Dublin are suffering because of the lower standards you are insinuating ?

Saying the Kerry team beaten in the semi final is average is my opinion. It seems to be an opinion shared by some others. That Kerry team is nowhere near Kerry at their peak. And they had Dublin on the ropes. Dublin are very beatable. Thinking that is sour grapes is complete nonsense. You have quoted two posters (myself included) who will be straight in here if Dublin win Sunday week to congratulate the Dubs on their win. I did it in 2013 and i am sure Todd did too.

People have opposing opinions, deal with it. Some people want nothing more than an echo chamber in here. The fact is the Dublin kerry semi two weeks ago, despite what the tv and newspapers tell you, was a game between one excellent team and one average team. The average team made it a contest but couldnt pull it off. The excellent team showed they are flawed. Game Sunday week is there for the taking for both sides.

Blud wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say in the first paragraph. Dublin were poor in the 00s. Tyrone, Armagh and Kerry were good in the 00s. It's not mutually exclusive.

The argument now is that references to Dublin's win over Kerry as being an all-time great game are overblown. A good Dublin team played struggled over the line against a Kerry side on their way down. Dublin can only beat what's in front of them and they've managed to do so thus far, but you can't argue the fact that this Kerry side are not a great Kerry side. They've a serious job on to rejuvenate that team now.

Dublin are favourites, agreed. But the more the Dub fans talk up the performance against Kerry, the happier us Mayo fans will be. If Dublin are no better against Mayo than they were against Kerry, then I give Mayo every chanc of winning the game. Of course, this ignores how inconsistent Mayo have been year, but if you had asked me before the Dublin/Kerry game I'd have given Mayo zero chance whatsoever. Hence the cautious optimism from myself and a lot of Mayo fans on here.

I'm also not sure how Mayo fans can be accused of sour grapes over a Kerry defeat to Dublin, as per your last paragraph. Can you explain that one? Or is it just more of the tin foil hat everyone is against Dublin attitude that is fairly popular on here?

My response was directly to somebody who said they are living in Kerry, I did not accuse Mayo fans of anything.

The game was an amazing spectacle and probably the most entertaining game in football for sometime. Given the level of quality entertainment in the championship to date, it makes total sense that people are falling over themselves with excitement about it.

I could make an argument that "quality" on show before Dublin started to rise to the top, was putridly boring defensive, anti-spectator football that was more about discipline and tactics then actual quality of play. For over a decade teams have had to change their style to combat the blanket defence and this Dublin team can mix it up in that strategy or go attacking.

Whats not to love about it ? Why shouldn't people celebrate it? Its no coincidence that people get excited with attacking football (like Dublin v Kerry), where mistakes can happen and have a huge impact. This is in comparison to the mindnumbingly boring defencive lineups where you are less likely to see this kind of drama.

I haven't talked up Dublin's win, I have simply put it into simple context. Dublin won, looked superior , finished stronger and dispatched one of the top teams in the country. Dublin, in their last two games, dispatched the only other teams who have won the Ireland since 2010. Mayo have , asides for perhaps 20 minutes this season in the championship, not looked as good as they have in previous seasons and have done little to suggest they will overturn Dublin.

But you feel that Dublin are getting way too much credit ? What more can Dublin do to meet your exceptionally high standards ?

Saying the Kerry team beaten in the semi final is average is my opinion. It seems to be an opinion shared by some others. That Kerry team is nowhere near Kerry at their peak. And they had Dublin on the ropes. Dublin are very beatable. Thinking that is sour grapes is complete nonsense. You have quoted two posters (myself included) who will be straight in here if Dublin win Sunday week to congratulate the Dubs on their win. I did it in 2013 and i am sure Todd did too.

People have opposing opinions, deal with it. Some people want nothing more than an echo chamber in here. The fact is the Dublin kerry semi two weeks ago, despite what the tv and newspapers tell you, was a game between one excellent team and one average team. The average team made it a contest but couldnt pull it off. The excellent team showed they are flawed. Game Sunday week is there for the taking for both sides.

You see, I am not suggesting Mayo wont turn up and put in a super performance. I am not saying they cant win. I am saying that most people would judge the game on form and Mayo have done little this (or any other season) to suggest they will turn up their best performance in a final.

Ok, lets keep this simple. Dublin have beaten the only other teams to win the All Ireland since 2010. They are the current champions and have won in All Ireland Finals. What have Mayo done that makes you feel that this will be as close a game as you suggest? What exactly are you basing your confidence on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I haven't talked up Dublin's win, I have simply put it into simple context. Dublin won, looked superior , finished stronger and dispatched one of the top teams in the country. Dublin, in their last two games, dispatched the only other teams who have won the Ireland since 2010. Mayo have , asides for perhaps 20 minutes this season in the championship, not looked as good as they have in previous seasons and have done little to suggest they will overturn Dublin.

But you feel that Dublin are getting way too much credit ? What more can Dublin do to meet your exceptionally high standards ?

Aye ... dogs don't bark at parked cars

You see, I am not suggesting Mayo wont turn up and put in a super performance. I am not saying they cant win. I am saying that most people would judge the game on form and Mayo have done little this (or any other season) to suggest they will turn up their best performance in a final.

Ok, lets keep this simple. Dublin have beaten the only other teams to win the All Ireland since 2010. They are the current champions and have won in All Ireland Finals. What have Mayo done that makes you feel that this will be as close a game as you suggest? What exactly are you basing your confidence on ?

You quoted me saying that Kerry were average in a post that was summed up by you with an accusation of sour grapes. A complete schoolyard argument.

I'll make this even more simple - Dublin beat Mayo in a replay last year. Mayo were 5 points up in the drawn game with a couple of minutes to go. There's the reason why i think it will be close. Pretty logical also. Any reason for thinking it won't be close as you seem to be suggesting? Overconfidence much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Panrich

On one hand you are judging Mayo on this years form to make the case that they won't beat Dublin while at the same time, invoking past final failures as a reason to bolster the argument.
    If we are allowed to bring up the past, then Mayo brought Dublin to a replay last year, were beaten by a point in the 2013 final, and beat Dublin in 2012. That's a fair bit of justification to to think that the final may be close enough.

If however, we can only invoke this seasons performances, then Dublin are worthy favourites, but there is always a chance that Mayo will perform better on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

You quoted me saying that Kerry were average in a post that was summed up by an accusation of sour grapes. A complete schoolyard argument.

I'll make this even more simple - Dublin beat Mayo in a replay last year. Mayo were 5 points up in the drawn game with a couple of minutes to go. There's the reason why i think it will be close. Pretty logical also. Any reason for thinking it won't be close as you seem to be suggesting? Overconfidence much?

Mayo never led in the drawn game - the nearest I can think of to what you're alluding to is the 2014 NFL game in Croker

• Advertisement

My response was directly to somebody who said they are living in Kerry, I did not accuse Mayo fans of anything.

The game was an amazing spectacle and probably the most entertaining game in football for sometime. Given the level of quality entertainment in the championship to date, it makes total sense that people are falling over themselves with excitement about it.

I could make an argument that "quality" on show before Dublin started to rise to the top, was putridly boring defensive, anti-spectator football that was more about discipline and tactics then actual quality of play. For over a decade teams have had to change their style to combat the blanket defence and this Dublin team can mix it up in that strategy or go attacking.

Whats not to love about it ? Why shouldn't people celebrate it? Its no coincidence that people get excited with attacking football (like Dublin v Kerry), where mistakes can happen and have a huge impact. This is in comparison to the mindnumbingly boring defencive lineups where you are less likely to see this kind of drama.

I'm pretty sure the 2 posters you quoted are from Mayo, but fair enough I think Tod may have mentioned living in Kerry. Pretty sure he's a Mayo man though, he can correct me if I'm wrong, so I'd doubt if there's any sour grapes. It's a bit of an unwarranted comment, comes across as you spitting the dummy out that everyone isn't falli over themselves to talk up the Kerry game.

Anyway, I completely agree that it was a very entertaining game. Does that mean that it's above any sensible analysis? Of course not. Our club played an under 16 game challenge last Saturday, very entertaining. They won't be beating the Dubs any time soon.

Again, I'm not sure what the relevance of your third paragraph is, or the fourth for that matter. Do you really think that Kerry played attacking football against Dublin? They haven't tried to play attacking football in a few years now.

Dublin are lauded everywhere for the type of football they play, are you expecting more praise? I don't think anyone here is saying any different, could you point out where I have? All I'm saying is that Mayo can take heart from the fact that a Kerry team that are nowhere near the level of previous years pushed Dublin so close. Can you not see how we can take comfort from that?

The last two paragraphs are weird - I have not mentioned once that Dublin are getting too much credit. I have said that the game against Kerry has been over-hyped when it was nowhere near one of the all-time great games, if you want to take that as a slight on Dublin then I'm not sure what to say. Dublin are a great team, clearly, but the game against Kerry showed chinks in the armour against inferior opposition. What's not to understand about that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement