Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will Father Ted quotes die?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Sand wrote: »
    I think the 'Less than zero sense' aspect is referring to the IT Crowd being a funnier, better written and delivered show that stands up better to a re-watch.

I never really found the IT Crowd funny - that's what it comes down to; funny or not funny. To me, it's not. And it most definitely isn't better written or smarter. As for delivery, I don't see the appeal of Chris O'Dowd or Katherine Jensen or whatever her name is at all. I find them to be poor comic actors, or at the very least mediocre. And I find Father Ted stands up very well to rewatch. It's all down to preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

Never found either 'Father Ted' or 'The IT Crowd' to be any way funny at all, and I grew up in the 90's with 'Father Ted' at its peak. Don't find TV comedies with the background laughing tracks funny at all. Too forced. Lame IMO.
    Some of the early 'Hardy Bucks' stuff that was uploaded to youtube, that was real Irish rural comedy, episodes like "the mitzi turbo cup" To me, those ten minutes of genius outshine the whatever amount of years 'father ted' was going strong on TV. But its probably preference as other have said, I HATE background audience laughing tracks. They ruin it for me. All my favourite comedies don't have them.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Dick said it's an extra special forfeit this year because you are such a big cheating bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I clicked on this thread because I wanted to see aptly used Father Ted quotes, i was not dissappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

I've no willy

• Advertisement

Better get going. Milk goes sour you know. Unless it's UHT milk, but there's no demand for that - because it's ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

On the few occasions I watched Farther Ted I remember thinking I can see why some would find this funny. I mean a drunk priest. Ha bloody ha. Proud so say I wouldn't know a Farther Ted quote if it hit me in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Elliott S wrote: »
    I never really found the IT Crowd funny - that's what it comes down to; funny or not funny. To me, it's not. And it most definitely isn't better written or smarter. As for delivery, I don't see the appeal of Chris O'Dowd or Katherine Jensen or whatever her name is at all. I find them to be poor comic actors, or at the very least mediocre. And I find Father Ted stands up very well to rewatch. It's all down to preference.

Well, everyone finds different things funny. Some people find Mrs. Brown hilarious. Fr.Ted was funny. The IT Crowd was funny. But the IT Crowd was clearly a show where the writer had learnt from experience and was delivering consistently better material. Some Fr. Ted episodes can be dreadful swings and misses at jokes until eventually one hits and sparks a constantly repeated quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Sand wrote: »
    Well, everyone finds different things funny. Some people find Mrs. Brown hilarious. Fr.Ted was funny. The IT Crowd was funny. But the IT Crowd was clearly a show where the writer had learnt from experience and was delivering consistently better material. Some Fr. Ted episodes can be dreadful swings and misses at jokes until eventually one hits and sparks a constantly repeated quote.

I don't think that's clear at all, I find Father Ted a far better, more cohesive show. The third season of FT is the weakest. The first two seasons of FT, there are no bad episodes. Each one is packed to the brim with great jokes. The third season is weaker but even the weakest third season episode is funnier than any IT Crowd episode. I love FT but am not a big quoter of the show. A lot of my favourite FT jokes are much more subtle moments. And, for me, the cast chemistry just wasn't quite right in the IT Crowd and in a sitcom, cast chemistry is crucial.

The IT Crowd is Graham Linehan's first sitcom flying solo. I think duos (or greater) produce much better sitcoms. You need another creator to bounce off and ideas build due to a competitiveness between the writers and them inspiring each other. It's also good to have a second person there to decide whether a joke will work or not. With Graham just flapping around by himself, the writing comes across a bit confused with many jokes missing the mark. Every episode of the IT Crowd that I saw was a swing and a miss. Far from being consistently better, it was consistently worse. Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Do we have to wait for every single Irish person born in the 1970-80s to die before we can be freed from the shackles of hearing the same quotes over and over and over again?

Where did you get the idea for the thread, OP?

Shoddy workmanship, that's what it is. Shoddy, shoddy, shoddy.

Everyone who is replying with Father Ted quotes are just a bunch of cowboys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

I hear you’re a rasist now father. Should we all be racist now? What’s the official line the church is taking on this.
    Only the farm takes up most of the day and at night I just like a cup o’ tea. I mightn’t be able to devote myself to the ol’ racism.

You’ll address me by my proper title, you little bollix!!!

Im not good at judging the size of crowds, but I’d say there’s about 17 million of them out there

Go away you. I don’t want to catch the menopause

Dougal: What’s going on?
    Priest: I think Ted has a plan.
    Dougal: No. I mean in general.

You remember Mrs Kirnan, well she was on her way to the shops and a man came over to her and killed her and stole her pen!
    Killed her?
    Well they think so, they’re keeping her in for tests!
    Well you know what happened to Mr Sweeney, Some young fella’s broke into his house and started messing with him, and they put a bra on him!
    Oh god, poor Mr Sweeney, sure he wouldn’t like that at all. I heard there were over 200 cases of forced transvestism involving Mr Sweeney last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Hopefully. It was a very overrated show.

Black Books was way funnier imo.

"How did that gob****e get on the television "

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"Ted, I'm no good at making decisions.... or am I?"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Noo wrote: »
    People still quote the simpsons, which to most fans also ended in the 90s.

You won't hear any post 1990s Simpsons quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

learn_more wrote: »
    Proud so say I wouldn't know a Farther Ted quote if it hit me in the face.
    You'd like my brick !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Sure didn't the lord himself pause for a nice fr ted quote before giving himself up for the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Don't tell me I'm still on that feckin island!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

... but we can discuss all that with the solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    ... but we can discuss all that with the solicitor.

New one just on now
    Ted - How long has Fr Jack been living in that shed..... Maybe he's agrophobic
    Dougal - Jack scared of fighting ? I don't think so Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

buried wrote: »
    Never found either 'Father Ted' or 'The IT Crowd' to be any way funny at all, and I grew up in the 90's with 'Father Ted' at its peak. Don't find TV comedies with the background laughing tracks funny at all. Too forced. Lame IMO.
    Some of the early 'Hardy Bucks' stuff that was uploaded to youtube, that was real Irish rural comedy, episodes like "the mitzi turbo cup" To me, those ten minutes of genius outshine the whatever amount of years 'father ted' was going strong on TV. But its probably preference as other have said, I HATE background audience laughing tracks. They ruin it for me. All my favourite comedies don't have them.

Can't see your point disliking a show cause it has background laughter and how 10 minutes is better than 3 series. Each to their own obviously but a poor argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

I think the answer is, yes, those who were born from 1970 to mid 80s, will all have to die off before Fr Ted quotes die also.

So won't be near, will be far away.

Near...far away

Near...far away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

A few more -

Fr Jack - 'more water'

Spider baby.

Fub off!

I've had my fun, that's all that matters.

Doesn't Mary have a lovely bottom? Oh, right, sorry. Don't all the girls have lovely bottoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

caille wrote: »
    Fub off!

Ya grasshole!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

can I put my big tool in your box

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

mickrock wrote: »
    Where did you get the idea for the thread, OP?

Shoddy workmanship, that's what it is. Shoddy, shoddy, shoddy.

Everyone who is replying with Father Ted quotes are just a bunch of cowboys.

That was a brilliant episode, two of my mates were brilliant as impersonating him. We all knew people who were like him

Craggy Island , yeah, Craggy Island is the place to be, away from the hypocrisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Sure I don't know Ted ya big bollix

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me

And now on BBC1: Jurassic Park. The Director's Cut. With extra dinosaurs.

God, Ted. D'you remember that feller who was so good at fashion they had to shoot him?

Aah! Brilliant. A load of people in a stable! It's the one thing I didn't expect.

C'mere Ted, Ted, Teddy, Ted. God, I love being a priest. We're all going to heaven lads, wheeeyyyyyy!

ARSEBISCUITS!!!!!!

It's got cocaine in it.

I'm a happy camper !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Tazio wrote: »
    I guess Father Ted reminds me of more innocent times in Irish society .. look at Ireland today... drive by shootings in the night, it be like Boys in the Hood. And hoes selling their wares in the middle of the street and the pimps be using crack cocaine to keep the whores under control... tis mad I tell ya.
    Nah, that's just the all Ireland fleadh....

You can forget about Icey T and you can forget about Scoopy Scoopy Dogg Dogg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I'm a happy camper!

Advertisement