Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will Father Ted quotes die?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I'll make the tea and you take off your bra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

It was a show that I found quite funny when it was first shown. I was a teenager and I thought the surrealist humour to be something different. It certainly was different from other comedies that my classmates found funny – boys tending to enjoy the mindless idiocy of Bottom, with the girls nattering on about the latest episode of Friends. I remember thinking that a desired outcome for the character Ross would be to have him suffer a terrible injury that resulted in him losing his voice permanently.

It’s not something that I’d bother watching now though. I haven’t been in the company of anyone who uses Father Ted quotes – it appears to be exclusively a boards.ie thing. When I read yet another tired and lazy post in AH referencing a Father Ted quote, then I automatically presume that the poster who made it has no sense of humour of their own and thus relies on posting something they think others find funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

It was a show that I found quite funny when it was first shown. I was a teenager and I thought the surrealist humour to be something different. It certainly was different from other comedies that my classmates found funny – boys tending to enjoy the mindless idiocy of Bottom, with the girls nattering on about the latest episode of Friends. I remember thinking that a desired outcome for the character Ross would be to have him suffer a terrible injury that resulted in him losing his voice permanently.

It’s not something that I’d bother watching now though. I haven’t been in the company of anyone who uses Father Ted quotes – it appears to be exclusively a boards.ie thing. When I read yet another tired and lazy post in AH referencing a Father Ted quote, then I automatically presume that the poster who made it has no sense of humour of their own and thus relies on posting something they think others find funny.

Yeah, down with that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is there anything for said for saying another mass? Just a small one. God, I love saying mass.

or....

I hear you're a racist now, Father.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Do we have to wait for every single Irish person born in the 1970-80s to die before we can be freed from the shackles of hearing the same quotes over and over and over again?
    If they don't die off quick enough send them to hell or craggy island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

It was a show that I found quite funny when it was first shown. I was a teenager and I thought the surrealist humour to be something different. It certainly was different from other comedies "It’s not something that I’d bother watching now though. I haven’t been in the company of anyone who uses Father Ted quotes – it appears to be exclusively a boards.ie thing. When I read yet another tired and lazy post in AH referencing a Father Ted quote, then I automatically presume that the poster who made it has no sense of humour of their own and thus relies on posting something they think others find funny.

Ah that's completely unfair !

fed up of some doing Missus Doyle Christmas decoration technique.

if you can't put up with Fr Ted go and eat Floor Polish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

You little bollix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Spider-baby : it's got the body of a spider, but the mind of a baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Ride me sideways was another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I get it. It was a great show. But it ended in 1998.

Do we have to wait for every single Irish person born in the 1970-80s to die before we can be freed from the shackles of hearing the same quotes over and over and over again?

Yes, I do realise that many responses to this post will include Father Ted quotes. Well done, lads.

Feck off!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Yes, I do realise that many responses to this post will include Father Ted quotes. Well done, lads.

Nevera neva never! Ride me sideways was another one

They are gems. Why the rush to see an end to them?

Don't be such a Moaning Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

No idea when it will die out.

BTW OP whats your favourite humming noise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

The day the quotes die is Far Far Away speebo ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Riddle101

You're not advocating the use of artificial contraception now, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I'm no good at judging the number of Fr Ted quotes, but I'd say there's about seventeen million of them in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

I'm no good at judging the number of Fr Ted quotes, but I'd say there's about seventeen million of them in here.

Ieeeeeee dont beleeevit...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dougal: What's going on?
    Priest: I think Ted has a plan
    Dougal: No. I mean in general.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

When the ice age begins again, someone has the sense to rename snickers back to marathon and when the Indians retake Galway.

We will then have come full circle and then, and only then, will father Ted quotes stop.

But I for one and happy to keep listening to and using them.

but the Father Ted quotes are still used as Father Ted type solutions to the Father Ted type problems that still exist in some peoples perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

I guess Father Ted reminds me of more innocent times in Irish society .. look at Ireland today... drive by shootings in the night, it be like Boys in the Hood. And hoes selling their wares in the middle of the street and the pimps be using crack cocaine to keep the whores under control... tis mad I tell ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭tommy_tucker

maudgonner wrote: »
    They will die, but it will turn out that they just drank a bottle of dreamy sleepy nighty snoozy snooze and they'll wake up again.

Your getting two episodes mixed up there, dreamy sleepy nighty snoozy snooze was the over 75's soccer match. Toilet duck was the drink that brought on all the symptoms of death without actually being dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Sometimes they can be grating but sometimes they work well. Just like classic Simpsons references.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭alias no.9

This Fr Ted quoting thing isn't endemic in Irish Society, it's purely a boards thing from what I can tell, as it's the only place I encounter references to the show these days.
    Wrecks my head, do the quoters actually think it's funny? Or this other thing where they just call people "Ted" randomly, like, "I wouldn't know about that now Ted" or something. WTF is that all about?

Looking forward to someone quoting my response here and responding with a Fr Ted quote HAHAHAHAH THATS AN ECUMANICAL MATTER LOLOL

That's mad Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

It was iconic in that many of the quotes became catchphrases and have made it into everyday use, not every Irish or Irish-derived tv show can claim that.

It was the first mainstream suggestion that the church was not actually as great as it was made out to be. If you were a 10 year old around 1995, and you got sent to mass every Sunday, and got 5 hours of religious eduction during the week in school, and you could never say anything bad about the Parish Priest, then Fr Ted was like a breath of fresh air. Thats why it is so highly revered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

plus seance of humour is very individual I love word puns and the like or for example my husband when he is going to feed the roses always says..I give em egg and chips its there favourite! its an old old joke but still make me laugh probably make others cringe. Our peculiar sense of humour is one of the reason we got on so well from day one. A father Ted reference one of my daughters is a nurse and if she is telling a story about a mad old nursing home she will describe it as St clabberts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Time for me to drink one full carton of crushed glass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,967 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

syklops wrote: »
    It was the first mainstream suggestion that the church was not actually as great as it was made out to be. If you were a 10 year old around 1995, and you got sent to mass every Sunday, and got 5 hours of religious eduction during the week in school, and you could never say anything bad about the Parish Priest, then Fr Ted was like a breath of fresh air. Thats why it is so highly revered.

Dermot Morgan had done a Fr Trendy character years before (a parody of young priests, Fr Brian D'arcy in particular) so making fun of the church was not new.

By the 90's the cracks were definitely showing in the RCC. It was losing influence in Irish life and it was 'safe' to take at pop at the church by then.

Advertisement