Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby at the olympics. The draw is as follows ....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

swiwi_ wrote: »
    NZ are a guaranteed loss. Aside how mundane we have looked, I'd quite like Fiji to get their first ever olympic medal.

I can't get over how slow NZ look. Some of those guys look like they're playing with some mates at the park on a Sunday afternoon.

Tietjens has been coach for 22 years or something ridiculous, but a new coach seems needed here for fresh ideas.

That's a good point about Tietjens. For years he was the innovator and genius of 7s rugby. The rest of the world has caught up now. Probably time for a change.

NZ definitely needs more speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ixus wrote: »
    All I see is some lad gone nuts on a wooden horse.
    They have streams of all live sport. Work your way round and youll find it. Half time in 9-12 playoff between Spain and Kenya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/live/

Not rte real player.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I don't think the US should have done much better than they did and yes some will have played American football but that's how a lot get into the sport in the states.
    Ebner currently plays NFL but who else...

I'm aware , played over there , just thought they were putting a lot of effort into ther sevens, I'm no expert -

anyway quarters are on at 10 tonight - be nice if bbc or rte showed them live - anyone know will they ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't think the US should have done much better than they did and yes some will have played American football but that's how a lot get into the sport in the states.
    Ebner currently plays NFL but who else...

Isles and Baker were both involved with NFL teams but I don't think either ever actually played. Isles was signed ro a training group but he left for Glasgow after a few months.

One or two others played NCAA football but not at any of the big colleges. Ebner actually started life as a Sevens player and was apparently the youngest ever capped player for the US Sevens team. He didn't take up football until he was already at college.

(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

thebaz wrote: »
    I'm aware , played over there , just thought they were putting a lot of effort into ther sevens, I'm no expert -

anyway quarters are on at 10 tonight - be nice if bbc or rte showed them live - anyone know will they ?

It's on now this minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

On Rte news now......now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Fiji and NZ about to kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

thebaz wrote: »
    I'm aware, played over there, just thought they were putting a lot of effort into ther sevens, I'm no expert -

anyway quarters are on at 10 tonight - be nice if bbc or rte showed them live - anyone know will they?
    I doubt either will show quarters live on main channels if there is swimming or bigger Olympic events on and rightly so. Rugby 7s may be on rte news now or one of extra bbc channel. Medal matches may be different

5-0 Fiji 1st minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

What channel? Supposed to be on bbc four but not showing it

Ah jeez ref...NZ yellow card for dangerous tackle

What channel? Supposed to be on bbc four but not showing it

Rte sport website

Try NZ! Easy coversion to come.

Half time. 7-5 to NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

A half of two halves.

Conditions a bit slippery. Won't suit Fiji's handling skills

10-7 Fiji...about to be 12-7

Some very impressive handing off by Fiji

kuang1 wrote: »
    Some very impressive handing off by Fiji

Unreal in the conditions their offloads.

• Advertisement

12-7 Fiji. All over.

Deserved win for Fiji, some great ball retention in the second half.

Japan by 10 possibly?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Fiji one win away from their first ever Olympic medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looked a marginal call on the forward pass from that offload. Ref in a great position though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

France very negative. Deserve to lose.

Never saw this coming from Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

France werent positive enough. Japan were clever in that on the Kick-starts the pinned back France in their own half rather than contest them. France apart from Vakatawa, werent physical or creative enough to play themselves out and so just kicked the ball back and so were under constant pressure. Japan are very decent in protecting there own balls in them mini-rucks, much like in the 15s world cup.
    Id imagine Fiji will have too much fr them, but there his huge pressure on Fiji, given that this is the most important sporting event, probably ever in their Countrys history!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

when are the semis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    That's a good point about Tietjens. For years he was the innovator and genius of 7s rugby. The rest of the world has caught up now. Probably time for a change.

NZ definitely needs more speed.

i don't even think they have " caught up".

there is no innovation in sevens any more- not for the olympics anyway.

no serevis or william ryders.

its an athletic arms race.

that GB team was thrown together. all played on different teams before this. did better than nz.

Advertisement